Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Poopy Palpy posted:

Caylus and LoW both have the same "Collect cubes to put them in specific places" theme.

Thats my favorite board game theme!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poopy Palpy posted:

Caylus and LoW both have the same "Collect cubes to put them in specific places" theme.
You're confusing theme and mechanics.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Some Numbers posted:

You're confusing theme and mechanics.

But enough about Eurogames

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The lukewarm feeling is because it's got generic mechanics with a theme pasted on top. I think it's a good intro game (partly because of that) but people who like worker placement games are unlikely to rate it as their favourite.

Viticulture + Tuscany is my suggestion for a replacement game to look at. Mint Works is also worth a look, partly because of how tiny it is.

I think a big part of where to go next depends on what you liked about Lords of Waterdeep.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I think a big part of where to go next depends on what you liked about Lords of Waterdeep.

Definitely, especially in a genre like worker placement where you have lots of options to choose from but only a limited amount of gaming time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'll try to sell you on thread darling Keyflower. It's a worker placement game where you build a little village over 4 seasons by buying tiles with your workers then using the tiles to make goods and score points. It mixes LoW's worker placement with bidding (you can spend more meeples to take a tile someone else wants), has variable setup (tons of tiles, only some are used each game), and is just a great game all around. It might seem a big step up from LoW because of the iconography, but the rulebook is easy to follow and has an explanation of every single tile if you are confused.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

This is actually a valid strategic concern for Sylvans, specifically. They have dense formations and less movement options than other factions. Orphaned Sylvans are basically useless down the road.

I'd have to ask how many points does each side have at this point? At 0-0, I might go for the development play over the blocking. But then, I'm not actually super familiar with Everfrost's specific pattern-disruption options.

Was 0-0

Jabor posted:

There are a decent number of cards you could have where your opponent just blocking doesn't actually stop you scoring the achievement, or setting up a way to score it the turn after - it's not unreasonable to consider that particular achievement to be a lost cause and to proactively start working towards something else instead of spending a turn just on stalling.

If both pieces were in useful spots to work into a pattern, then yeah blocking would probably be the way to go.

Yeah, this is the crux of it.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think Via Nebula is a great entry game - it's extremely accessible and scalable but also has good strategic depth. It's not like Waterdeep in a mechanical sense, like Caylus would be, but I think it's more accessible than Caylus and still involves moving resources around and building things. It has some cardplay like Waterdeep in that you are grabbing resources to play cards, but with some spatial stuff. So in terms of what's a good starting point for Euro style games I'd recommend it as an alternative next step or substitute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blamestorm posted:

I think Via Nebula is a great entry game - it's extremely accessible and scalable but also has good strategic depth. It's not like Waterdeep in a mechanical sense, like Caylus would be, but I think it's more accessible than Caylus and still involves moving resources around and building things. It has some cardplay like Waterdeep in that you are grabbing resources to play cards, but with some spatial stuff. So in terms of what's a good starting point for Euro style games I'd recommend it as an alternative next step or substitute.

Pick up and deliver is not worker placement. Via Nebula is a good starting point, but a different starting point.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Get Lords of Waterdeep, as I assume your girlfriend is not a robot for whom games breakdown like the matrix into a series of green sigils with no emotion or consideration other than mechanics.

The people here are great, but you do have to take into consideration that they are game nuts, and their reasons for thinking things are suboptimal are going to be different than hers.

If she likes LoW, then you can always consider trying something new (and better, from a mechanical perspective) down the road.

Don't fight against something your girlfriend has shown a genuine interest in.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

SlyFrog posted:

Unless it is undeniable garbage. My girlfriend started out picking games to play by how cute/interesting the bow looks, which is a terrible metric when it comes to quality.

She also heard me talk a lot of shut about munchkin, so now she wants to play it at least once. So f ar I managed to talk her out of it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The theme in LoW is paper-thin. It's still probably a better entry-level WP than Caylus. Caylus breaks friendships.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

SlyFrog posted:

Get Lords of Waterdeep, as I assume your girlfriend is not a robot for whom games breakdown like the matrix into a series of green sigils with no emotion or consideration other than mechanics.

The people here are great, but you do have to take into consideration that they are game nuts, and their reasons for thinking things are suboptimal are going to be different than hers.

If she likes LoW, then you can always consider trying something new (and better, from a mechanical perspective) down the road.

Yeah, I mean I'm asking so that I can try some of these other games with her and see if we like them, more than anything.

She's not really very into the themes, so something mechanically similar but better would be grand!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I find this thread way better for suggestions than other places, precisely because it is aware of the above.

We both adore Scythe, so will have to give viticulture a go, and I know I've heard good things about Agricola on here without knowing the kind of game it is. If Caylus breaks friendships (I imagine with horrible blocking / denying opponents their plan) I'll probably steer away, that was her last favorite part.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

If it will be just you and your girlfriend playing maybe try Fields of Arle?

Nice and relaxed game and blocking isn't that problematic.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I mean I'm asking so that I can try some of these other games with her and see if we like them, more than anything.

She's not really very into the themes, so something mechanically similar but better would be grand!

Just get LoW (and expansion).

I'm pretty new myself to board games and I have other games such as Agricola and Odin. They all scratch a different itch. Agricola is tighter, lots of tension etc. Feast is sand box, open and free. LoW for us is a game where we want to play something that isn't taxing or has a long play but has a bit of everything. The D&D theme is laughable, engine building is minimal (get lucky with knock on quests) and the tension/Agricola factor is small but it's the ease and simplicity of the game that brings us back. The base game is pretty dull though.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

!Klams posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I find this thread way better for suggestions than other places, precisely because it is aware of the above.

We both adore Scythe, so will have to give viticulture a go, and I know I've heard good things about Agricola on here without knowing the kind of game it is. If Caylus breaks friendships (I imagine with horrible blocking / denying opponents their plan) I'll probably steer away, that was her last favorite part.

Don't bother with Agricola either. It is very tight. Try Caverna or Feast for Odin, they are much looser.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Urgh, I can't decide between race or roll for Galaxy.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tai posted:

Physical Roll, Race on phone.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Don't bother with Agricola either. It is very tight. Try Caverna or Feast for Odin, they are much looser.

I was going to suggest Agricola, but this is a good point. The one time my GF and I played it she was experiencing some pretty severe anxiety over the "you're going to starve" aspects of it.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Tai posted:

Roll, with expansion.

I've played a lot of games, and the iconography in Race still doesn't make sense to me (in that it makes some sense, but there are so many different types that I need to look up the card anyway, which defeats the purpose). It does in Roll.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Tai posted:

Both? If you held a gun to my head I'd suggest roll. It feels like a tighter game. However if you anticipate 20-50+ replays race has more *stuff* However I think literally the only physical game I own that I've played that many times is Gloomhaven.
That said App race is my most played game all time with ~1000 plays.

Bottom line is bothrace and roll good. I'd probably go with a cheap copy of either as the deciding factor.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Race is much better. Roll adds a bunch of dice for no reason, its a real mess.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Bottom line is bothrace and roll good. I'd probably go with a cheap copy of either as the deciding factor.

Race is always 50% cheaper, because its just a deck of cards.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Have to admit from chatting to my other half the last hour or so, starting to lean towards race because of the price tag and it's just a deck of cards so easy to set up. Would like another 7 wonders duel set up/playtime and it may get the edge.

Building up another batch of games to buy some point next week. This poo poo gets so addictive creating a good all round collection of games.

Pre ordering Gloomhaven
War of the ring expansions
Race or Roll for Galaxy
Twilight Struggle

More to come! Feel free to add recommendations. No worker placement though. Agricola, aFfO, Caverna and LoW is enough for us right now. How is Scythe 2 player?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I like At the Gates of Loyang as a 2 Player game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Kitchen Rush Kickstarter finally has rules up: as I mentioned, 90% of the rules were in Rahdo's video but the rules do help to fill the gaps.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Tai posted:

Have to admit from chatting to my other half the last hour or so, starting to lean towards race because of the price tag and it's just a deck of cards so easy to set up. Would like another 7 wonders duel set up/playtime and it may get the edge.

Building up another batch of games to buy some point next week. This poo poo gets so addictive creating a good all round collection of games.

Pre ordering Gloomhaven
War of the ring expansions
Race or Roll for Galaxy
Twilight Struggle

More to come! Feel free to add recommendations. No worker placement though. Agricola, aFfO, Caverna and LoW is enough for us right now. How is Scythe 2 player?

Scythe works ok 2 player, but it's definitely the worst incarnation of it, and I can't help but feel there's probably a better 2 player game if that's how you're expecting to play it most.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So I played a couple of TTA games yesterday with two players and I will say that I really like it. I don't know how the game shakes out with more players, but we felt like actions were less useful and wars were a huge gamble with perfect information for the defender, so you had to build up a huge lead. Aggressions seem to be less useful unless you had a lot of them come up and can whittle down your opponent's defensive cards by attrition. The action cards felt less useful due to the quick card turnover for the more expensive stuff punishing you for picking them up instead of investing in some sort of infrastructure. I'm guessing that military is more effective with multiplayer since multiple people can quickly attack one player before they can refill, while the actions is less of an issue because there's only so many tech upgrades to buildings. Is that correct?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Via nebula is also a "friendly competition" kind of game. That might sway things. I only played it twice but I thought it was a well done game.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Key flower is currently forty dollars on Amazon in the US for anyone who's become interested in it from this thread. I'm resisting because I have enough new games I want to play more of, but it's hard.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Kitchen Rush Kickstarter finally has rules up: as I mentioned, 90% of the rules were in Rahdo's video but the rules do help to fill the gaps.

Did you actually recommend to watch Radho for a rules explanation?

Content: is it me or is Twilight Struggle more luck dependent than it seems? My last 3 games have seen either USSR or USA almost completely kicked out of Middle East by the end of turn one.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 29, 2017

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Tai posted:

Me and my wife prefer roll and it's great with two. Random recommendation get Valley of the Kings, it's a great deck builder that works well with two and is cheap.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

Via nebula is also a "friendly competition" kind of game. That might sway things. I only played it twice but I thought it was a well done game.

Via Nebula doesn't get enough love but I'm not the most up-to-date on Wallace's work over the years so it could be that it's another variation on the same thing, but to me it's an absolutely adorable little game that most people can understand very easily and plays quickly. At higher play counts it's incredible how protective people get with the resources they've opened up because you're lucky to get more than one crack at taking the resources from it when you've got three other vultures hovering around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

So I played a couple of TTA games yesterday with two players and I will say that I really like it. I don't know how the game shakes out with more players, but we felt like actions were less useful and wars were a huge gamble with perfect information for the defender, so you had to build up a huge lead. Aggressions seem to be less useful unless you had a lot of them come up and can whittle down your opponent's defensive cards by attrition. The action cards felt less useful due to the quick card turnover for the more expensive stuff punishing you for picking them up instead of investing in some sort of infrastructure. I'm guessing that military is more effective with multiplayer since multiple people can quickly attack one player before they can refill, while the actions is less of an issue because there's only so many tech upgrades to buildings. Is that correct?
Action cards are really important to the extent that you can fuel your entire economy by picking up action cards and not invest in your infrastructure alone. Keep in mind that infrastructure takes a good long while to get going: you need to pick up the card, spend science to discover it, build the building: especially for making resources, so that's that's a range of at least 3 to 6 actions (1-3 to pick up the card, 1 to discover, 1 to build), and you have to have had the resource to build it in the first place as well as the science to actually discover it. On the other hand, cards cost only actions (2-4) and basically give you a lot of free resources (especially at the end when you can't get a return on investment on building stuff unless you build it early Age III).

I don't see Wars as being gambles if you take note of what your opponent has picked up/what he can potentially build in a single turn. The only gamble is if the defender is holding a particular tactic that you don't know about, and that is a potentially defensive tactic that you can use. Otherwise, it is possible to math it out. One important thing to pay attention to is if the defender has picked up Wave of Nationalism/Patriotism etc since those cards can really help to boost military, but you should be able to take note of someone if he picks them up.

Military in TtA is more effective as a threat than actually something that is used to effect. You build up your military to force your opponents to build up their military, thus slowing them down. You seed events that help you and hinder weaker players, you keep threatening aggression and force them to keep their defensive cards instead of getting colonies etc. If you have high military you need to leverage that threat to win the Event deck, pretty much.

Fat Samurai posted:

Did you actually recommend to watch Radho for a rules explanation?
Yes, because the game is simple and there wasn't a rulebook posted until recently. It's simple enough that even Rahdo has difficulty screwing it up.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Roll, with expansion.

I've played a lot of games, and the iconography in Race still doesn't make sense to me (in that it makes some sense, but there are so many different types that I need to look up the card anyway, which defeats the purpose). It does in Roll.

I genuinely don't get that. I know that most people don't find the iconography in Race instantly intuitive the way I do, but there's only like three or four standard icons in any given phase and they are pretty directly linked to what they do. If a card does something weird it generally has rules text for it directly on that card. So I can see taking a little bit to get used to the icons but not having trouble interpreting them thereafter.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

Action cards are really important to the extent that you can fuel your entire economy by picking up action cards and not invest in your infrastructure alone. Keep in mind that infrastructure takes a good long while to get going: you need to pick up the card, spend science to discover it, build the building: especially for making resources, so that's that's a range of at least 3 to 6 actions (1-3 to pick up the card, 1 to discover, 1 to build), and you have to have had the resource to build it in the first place as well as the science to actually discover it. On the other hand, cards cost only actions (2-4) and basically give you a lot of free resources (especially at the end when you can't get a return on investment on building stuff unless you build it early Age III).

I don't see Wars as being gambles if you take note of what your opponent has picked up/what he can potentially build in a single turn. The only gamble is if the defender is holding a particular tactic that you don't know about, and that is a potentially defensive tactic that you can use. Otherwise, it is possible to math it out. One important thing to pay attention to is if the defender has picked up Wave of Nationalism/Patriotism etc since those cards can really help to boost military, but you should be able to take note of someone if he picks them up.

Military in TtA is more effective as a threat than actually something that is used to effect. You build up your military to force your opponents to build up their military, thus slowing them down. You seed events that help you and hinder weaker players, you keep threatening aggression and force them to keep their defensive cards instead of getting colonies etc. If you have high military you need to leverage that threat to win the Event deck, pretty much.

Yes, because the game is simple and there wasn't a rulebook posted until recently. It's simple enough that even Rahdo has difficulty screwing it up.

Thanks for the advice. I take it to mean that Iron Mines are actually bad and not much of an upgrade at all, then? We stockpiled on those throughout the game but, being the first couple of games, probably bumbled on a lot of strategy instead of being laser focused due to unfamiliarity with the decks and upgrades.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

I trust in him.

malkav11 posted:

I genuinely don't get that. I know that most people don't find the iconography in Race instantly intuitive the way I do, but there's only like three or four standard icons in any given phase and they are pretty directly linked to what they do. If a card does something weird it generally has rules text for it directly on that card. So I can see taking a little bit to get used to the icons but not having trouble interpreting them thereafter.

Same. Once you learn the phases, there are only a couple of things a given card can do in a phase (at least in the base game, not sure about the expansions).

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
hey yall, does anyone know of any ice-breaker games (the get-to-know-each-other kind) that aren't super lame?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I don't know. The funny thing is, I completely get the iconography in Roll (but not Race).

I think there is more stuff in Race like the "minus 1 to military but then you can settle in-military with military" type things. There just seem to be more icons.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the advice. I take it to mean that Iron Mines are actually bad and not much of an upgrade at all, then? We stockpiled on those throughout the game but, being the first couple of games, probably bumbled on a lot of strategy instead of being laser focused due to unfamiliarity with the decks and upgrades.

If they come out right at the start of Age I they can be good, otherwise you might as well just invest in a third or fourth bronze worker and pick up yellow cards. The Age I agriculture card is very good though, I recommend that over Iron if you have the choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SlyFrog posted:

I don't know. The funny thing is, I completely get the iconography in Roll (but not Race).

I think there is more stuff in Race like the "minus 1 to military but then you can settle in-military with military" type things. There just seem to be more icons.

Yes but that card is explained on the card like anything remotely complex.