Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The president acting like a child during the Arlington memorial day ceremony is what is wrong, though.

It doesn't matter, he's a giant douchebag, but there's not a president in my memory who could act like this, on this day, at this ceremony and not be called out for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

morcant posted:

Yeah, you shits knew all along about climate change, didn't you. gently caress off

They probably had a better idea than most at least. Ignoring the bad PR they would get for saying the opposite, the fossil fuel business also have a great interest in having a say in the development and implementation of these agreements. And they get much less power over the outcome if their most powerful partner just backs out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

That's Southern black people church, it's a different kind of church entirely. They celebrate the life instead of mourn the death.

We're actually all Catholic here.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Do Americans typically not sing the lyrics to their national anthem when it's playing? I mean, it's odd that he's the only one doing it, but other than that it doesn't seem strange.

Hell if I know the reason for that particular piece of etiquette, but it is what it is and it's pretty loving nuts to see the President be unable to control himself for 30 seconds. I personally don't have any feelings about him disrespecting the troops or whatever, but it's always alarming to see such infantile behavior from, again, the President of the United States.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Boon posted:

The President was singing the National Anthem at a memorial service for fallen soldiers.

You guys need to chill the gently caress out, it's a slow news day but there's nothing wrong with it even if he did look like a child doing it.

lol

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Hmm yes, prayers.

*tries to ban muslims by executive order*

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Oh well his prayers are with them, so it's all good now

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Chilichimp posted:

The president acting like a child during the Arlington memorial day ceremony is what is wrong, though.

It doesn't matter, he's a giant douchebag, but there's not a president in my memory who could act like this, on this day, at this ceremony and not be called out for it.
It is also just another item in a long list of incidents which call into question his mental competency. He is literally unable to stand still and act solemn for a few minutes when the occasion calls for it. An act so basic that it is seriously troubling that the president of the United States can't accomplish even this meager feat and strengthens the call for a qualified medical diagnosis.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

PerniciousKnid posted:

We're actually all Catholic here.

Here where? I thought the vast majority of the South was Southern Baptist.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chilichimp posted:

just imagine

Barabus "Barry" tgehe Rock Osama

doing this very thing

and how 40% of the the country would respond

E - This is not the CSPAM thread, but gently caress it

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 29, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Chilichimp posted:

If Obama had done anything as inappropriate, this country would have been in a state of civil war an hour later.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait is it inappropriate to sing along with the National Anthem.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

RuanGacho posted:

Hmm yes, prayers.

*tries to ban muslims by executive order*

Maybe I'm daft but saying a fatal attack is "unacceptable" rather than wicked, vile or evil seems a bit like theyre trying to get away with the bare minimum response.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hollismason posted:

When you're at Arlington to honor fallen service members on Memorial Day, yes, it is inappropriate to sway back and forth and lazily mouth the words like a bored toddler.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hollismason posted:

This is at the Tomb. Look into Mattis' eyes and answer that question yourself.

Bottom Liner posted:

When you're at Arlington to honor fallen service members on Memorial Day, yes, it is inappropriate to sway back and forth and lazily mouth the words like a bored toddler.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

This can't be real. I refuse to believe it. Lolololol we literally are living in a cartoon.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Swaying back and forth like a child with a grin...at the Memorial Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery?

I feel like you know the answer to this question and just want to act like a wank, so I guess, have another post for your post furnace.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm just waiting for him to drop trou or wet himself publicly.

I'm just kinda curious what will happen. Public nudity and/or incontinence are ust about the only remaining norms he hasn't violated.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Of course it's not inappropriate: if the president can't sing the song that represents the cause these soldiers died for in their memory, then it's loving pointless to have it. The problem is him grinning ear to ear patting his chest and swaying along as he half remembers the only song he is expected to know the lyrics to. He looks demented. If his head was partially bowed, he was standing still, and he clearly was singing the song as written and not "oooh oooh red glare...... something something, home aw aw bwave" no one would even notice it had happened.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm just waiting for him to drop trou or wet himself publicly.

I'm just kinda curious what will happen.

Depends :shrug:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah if he'd been standing relatively still and looked half-way serious and sang from the start, very few people would comment.

But he looks like he gets bored. Starts swaying, starts patting his chest, starts singing half-way through.

I mean it's almost nothing in the grand scheme of "how has Trumped hosed up" but goddamn.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The incongruity and disgust are melting Mattis' face off.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Boon posted:

The President was singing the National Anthem at a memorial service for fallen soldiers.

You guys need to chill the gently caress out, it's a slow news day but there's nothing wrong with it even if he did look like a child doing it.

So we're lowering the bar beneath the Earth now, I guess. You'd be horribly embarrassed if your child did that, let alone an adult man who's responsible for commanding the soldiers who are still alive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Where's the video

Oh I thought like everyone else was singing it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Reminder that the @POTUS Twitter account is, with like 99.9% certainty, never ever personally controlled by Trump, rather a member of the White House communications staff. There's a very real reason why the empty platitudes were posted there and not from @realDonaldTrump.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Here where? I thought the vast majority of the South was Southern Baptist.

St Louis.

I mean, it doesn't matter or anything, I was just surprised. I don't think of Catholics as abnormally boistrous.

sit on my Facebook posted:

Oh well his prayers are with them, so it's all good now

You mean w/ them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Alas, if only these were the sort of gaffes that gave Trump's presidency headlines.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

obama retrieved the password

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

That's actually the right way to discuss terrorists. After he London bus bombing the British police talked about the terrorists like they were petty criminals or "punks", that's even better. The wrong thing to do is to discuss the terrorists like the US media does, which gives them a kind of mystique.

Not that I am saying that the American media is using the proper narrative against terrorism but the narrative the British are using doesn't appear to deter or combat terrorism any better.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The point isn't that Trump disrespected arr troops, it's that he's fundamentally incapable of recognizing what actions are appropriate or inappropriate. This instance doesn't particularly "matter," but it's indicative of a broader problem that is very serious for someone in his position to have.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Having attended this very event years ago and still having it sitting in my memory as one of the most profound moments in my national identity, I can tell anyone not seeing the problem here, with confidence, that you and your intellectual dishonesty in insisting that you can't see what Trump is doing here can gently caress right the gently caress off and take a long hard look at the caricature of a patriot you have become.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Drone posted:

Reminder that the @POTUS Twitter account is, with like 99.9% certainty, never ever personally controlled by Trump, rather a member of the White House communications staff. There's a very real reason why the empty platitudes were posted there and not from @realDonaldTrump.

His followers know the @POTUS platitudes are the conventional lip service that needs to be paid.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

It's like God Save the Queen but opposite.

The President sings and no one else.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Potato Salad posted:

Having attended this very event years ago and still having it sitting in my memory as one of the most profound moments in my national identity, I can tell anyone not seeing the problem here, with confidence, that you and your intellectual dishonesty in insisting that you can't see what Trump is doing here can gently caress right the gently caress off and take a long hard look at the caricature of a patriot you have become.

haha oh god

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So the problem is with Trump grinning and bobbing and swaying, and tapping along with the beat on his chest, right? Not singing the words?

This may surprise some people, but anthem etiquette differs between countries so this stuff isn't obvious to non-Americans.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
It could be the custom of solemnity and respect for the dead, in particular respect for people killed in wars, which basically all humans ever understand and participate in.

Or "American anthem etiquette." Yes, that might be it too.

E. in case it's not clear, this is the commander in chief of the military at the nation's most hallowed military cemetery while the national anthem is being played before a formal ceremony to honor the nation's war dead on a national holiday dedicated to the remembrance of war dead.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 29, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I need audio! Why no audio?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

PT6A posted:

So the problem is with Trump grinning and bobbing and swaying, and tapping along with the beat on his chest, right? Not singing the words?

This may surprise some people, but anthem etiquette differs between countries so this stuff isn't obvious to non-Americans.

I gave you some slack in my answer, I figured. Yes his behavior there is wildly inappropriate.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Yeah lol what's the big problem with him just acting like a giant idiot all the time idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Trump swaying back and forth like an over-energized child is... well, childish. Is it the worse thing ever? Nah, just something that makes you shake your head.

• Locked thread