Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Blasting charges have always exploded on impact.

I thought they used to sit on the ground before exploding a sec or two later? At least, I distinctly remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Still not working, I don't know what's wrong now.

Once more, I have no idea what it is I'm missing.

Did you give the effect a description in the localization files? It will still give the ability, but it wont show up on the tool-tip without it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wallet posted:

Did you give the effect a description in the localization files? It will still give the ability, but it wont show up on the tool-tip without it.

Indeed. It's just not in Franz's skill list. I have "Enable Out of Date Mods" on, because it shows it as out of date, but I don't think that should change anything.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 29, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Indeed. It's just not in Franz's skill list. I have "Enable Out of Date Mods" on, because it shows it as out of date, but I don't think that should change anything.

I mean the ones from local_en.pack>text>db.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

Wow, ok, either a vanilla patch or SFO changed how they work but Dwarf blasting charges explode on impact in my game and they are brutal as gently caress at stopping charges dead and laying into flanks. Mammon's mod also has a technology-line skill that doubles blasting charge reserves on top of the usual ammo techs and skills, so a miner unit can toss a disgusting amount of explosives. A great weapon unit will still do better in an extended melee, but the burst damage is incredible, which I suppose is the whole shtick of the technologist line compared to traditionalist and survivalist lines.

This makes me want to hurry up and jump back to Dwarves to see how they are in Steel Faith. I'm using Empire and even with him and Gelt being pretty good (not sure about changes made to Volkmar as I got him pretty late in the game) Vampires are absolutely BRUTAL. I mean you might see how many free garrison units you get for miscellaneous buildings and think "Man, this settlement is going to be impregnable" but trust me you need every last man because a full stack of VC (which is very likely to have multiple heroes and RoR will easily roll through a T4 settlement with T2 garrison/walls and seriously Jeopardize Capitals. I've actually had better luck engaging them in the open where I can direct mass artillery at them from range to thin their numbers, because their Lord/characters individually seem to make up like 10% of their army's cumulative strength. Seriously, there could be a Lord and like 4,000 other units in the battle, you wipe everything else out and that Vampire Lord is still like 20% of the total army strength.

It seems like they removed the regen cap in the mod which makes VC obscenely stronger, because a lord who is already pretty hard to consistently hit and damage can recover so much health the few times he does have his HP bar drop down a pixel.

Anyway, how are the changes to the Dwarves? I will say the changes to magic have been impressive, and happy to see that magic is often what sways them in my favor in some battles.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Trying to download some of the free dlc for the game but every time I click the download button it opens up the total war launcher.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Hunt11 posted:

Trying to download some of the free dlc for the game but every time I click the download button it opens up the total war launcher.

As weird as it sounds this is intended behaviour. Each time you do it, close the launcher, activate more free DLC, close the launcher again, etc etc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wallet posted:

I mean the ones from local_en.pack>text>db.

Still nothing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

This makes me want to hurry up and jump back to Dwarves to see how they are in Steel Faith. I'm using Empire and even with him and Gelt being pretty good (not sure about changes made to Volkmar as I got him pretty late in the game) Vampires are absolutely BRUTAL. I mean you might see how many free garrison units you get for miscellaneous buildings and think "Man, this settlement is going to be impregnable" but trust me you need every last man because a full stack of VC (which is very likely to have multiple heroes and RoR will easily roll through a T4 settlement with T2 garrison/walls and seriously Jeopardize Capitals. I've actually had better luck engaging them in the open where I can direct mass artillery at them from range to thin their numbers, because their Lord/characters individually seem to make up like 10% of their army's cumulative strength. Seriously, there could be a Lord and like 4,000 other units in the battle, you wipe everything else out and that Vampire Lord is still like 20% of the total army strength.

It seems like they removed the regen cap in the mod which makes VC obscenely stronger, because a lord who is already pretty hard to consistently hit and damage can recover so much health the few times he does have his HP bar drop down a pixel.

This was my experience too. I rested on my laurels because in vanilla a T3 walled settlement is nigh impregnable as Empire but in SFO it's a basic necessity so you can move an army to help out a settlement before the inevitable attack. Seriously, a T5 settlement with T3 walls and a full army in the settlement isn't always enough to beat a full vamp army (4+ stacks), and you'll fight a lot of 4+ stack vamp armies.

SFO is the poo poo. Not the airport.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Does anyone else Steel Faith mod make the game either crash on the first screen or stay loading forever?

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Does anyone else Steel Faith mod make the game either crash on the first screen or stay loading forever?

Got any other mods running? I had to disable a chaos expanding mod.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Kroq-Gar looks cool af.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/869176633541918721

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Anyway, how are the changes to the Dwarves? I will say the changes to magic have been impressive, and happy to see that magic is often what sways them in my favor in some battles.

A submod just came out that re-enables the regen cap again if you feel that it makes vampires too powerful.

Regarding the Dwarfs: I've been playing them in SFO for the longest time and I feel that they've been vastly improved across the board. The biggest winners are units often seen as overcosted or bizarrely ineffective, like Hammerers (who are elite infantry killers to a dwarf), Flame Cannons (still don't like them but are much slower but more brutal mortars, essentially), Gyrocopters of all varieties (good at shooting their intended targets, and their bombs swing battles), and Slayers (suicide missiles that will kill the large targets you send them at). Meanwhile, your general purpose units have smaller unit counts but are stronger, which really makes you feel outnumbered (and you will be) in every battle against the Greenskins. Most importantly, Dwarf mass has been increased all across the board, so chariots won't turn your lines into a tangled mess as long as you maintain proper facing. It's a great take on the Dwarf faction.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

A submod just came out that re-enables the regen cap again if you feel that it makes vampires too powerful.

Regarding the Dwarfs: I've been playing them in SFO for the longest time and I feel that they've been vastly improved across the board. The biggest winners are units often seen as overcosted or bizarrely ineffective, like Hammerers (who are elite infantry killers to a dwarf), Flame Cannons (still don't like them but are much slower but more brutal mortars, essentially), Gyrocopters of all varieties (good at shooting their intended targets, and their bombs swing battles), and Slayers (suicide missiles that will kill the large targets you send them at). Meanwhile, your general purpose units have smaller unit counts but are stronger, which really makes you feel outnumbered (and you will be) in every battle against the Greenskins. Most importantly, Dwarf mass has been increased all across the board, so chariots won't turn your lines into a tangled mess as long as you maintain proper facing. It's a great take on the Dwarf faction.

Trying out Dwarves I am getting surprisingly crushed by Bloody Spears. Like Vampires, they made Greenskins a lot more numerous and dangerous and you gotta get walls up ASAP. I also got the submod which adds new lord/hero types, and for the Dwarves you get an Engineer Lord who is amazing, he's got the potential to make your ranged and artillery so hilariously strong (giving everybody a 15% range boost on top of the research range boost Irondrakes get will be hilarious). I know that range boosts don't work properly for artillery but even just applying it to your Quarrelers, Thunderers, and Gyrocopters is pretty significant.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I thought they used to sit on the ground before exploding a sec or two later? At least, I distinctly remember that.

They did for a while, but it made satchel charges suck so it got changed back in a patch.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The one thing I don't like about sfo is reducing the number of elite cavalry models per unit. Blood Knights just aren't as cool when it's only 6 or 8 dudes charging a line

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Good thing it's 20 then

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The one thing I don't like about sfo is reducing the number of elite cavalry models per unit. Blood Knights just aren't as cool when it's only 6 or 8 dudes charging a line

Demigryff knights always felt kinda cool because of their small unit size though. You guys have hyped up sfo enough, I'm gonna check it out!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
SFO does seem to make Hammerers more effective. By doing bonus damage to enemies that get knocked around, they seem to function similar to Greatswords; an armor piercing anti elite unit that is still decent vs chaff. In the Hammerers case, it's by making each one work like a mini-lord by swatting 5 chaff guys to death each swing. It's an interesting niche-like shock cavalry these guys are theoretically very effective against targets with poor knockback resistance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Trying out Dwarves I am getting surprisingly crushed by Bloody Spears. Like Vampires, they made Greenskins a lot more numerous and dangerous and you gotta get walls up ASAP. I also got the submod which adds new lord/hero types, and for the Dwarves you get an Engineer Lord who is amazing, he's got the potential to make your ranged and artillery so hilariously strong (giving everybody a 15% range boost on top of the research range boost Irondrakes get will be hilarious). I know that range boosts don't work properly for artillery but even just applying it to your Quarrelers, Thunderers, and Gyrocopters is pretty significant.

Unfortunately from what I remember in the thread, range boosts sometimes don't work depending on the projectile type the unit uses (?). Cannons and poo poo work fine, it's the Irondrakes that bug out because of the projectile they use. Apparently the fire streams turn into a firestorm if you turn up the range too high or something.

I'm also totally going to use that submod once they get Kurt Helborg up and running. Judging from their Googledocs, he's going to be their premier cavalry lord, which is going to be cool to see since I can roll with 4 Empire LLs that have their own playing style. Unfortunately, I may have to drop Mammon's mod when I do that, though I suppose it won't be so bad since I can just re-enable it for Dwarf playthroughs.

Speaking of which: Gyrocopters are definitely fun to use, and I think my theory on how they're suited for a playstyle reliant on damage spikes is sound based on their performance. I played the quest battle for Thorgrim's first legendary item, and the copters got enough harassment done on the wolf rush that two Thunderer units and accompanying melee units eventually routed them with no melee contact whatsoever. When it came to harassing their ranged line, the copters didn't do as reliably as Quarrelers do when it came to killing them quickly, but they did a serviceable job nonetheless. Amazingly enough, somehow the second army completely broke right as my shooters were repositioning to engage them; likely because my Thunderers and Irondrakes pretty much killed the entire first wave, including Lords and Heroes. On the mass rout, the copters did fantastically, pulling the usual 200+ kills I would get from Grudge Throwers. If anything, Mammon, I think their weakness at the moment is that they don't shoot fast enough since with the +25% ammo skill, the copters still had around a third of their reserves by the time every Greenskin got away, though this will probably change as I get the reload rate tech and level them up some.

Also Mammon, I think your skill boosts to Gyrocopters are bugged. Namely, they're receiving armor and ammo bonuses but not the damage bonuses. Can't comment on reload rate as I have not gotten the tech for that yet.

EDIT: NEW poo poo! Let's get real: the trait system (apart from Bretonnia) is rear end and basically vestigial at this point because successful Lords get saddled with random and illogical bullshit and unsuccessful Lords generally wind up dead. Get this and never worry about Thorgrim deciding that those Greenskin lads aren't so bad after all or Karl Franz becoming an unjust tyrant after refusing to take demon vikings as prisoners: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935365491

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 29, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I will say though that the autoresolve being way off can be seriously annoying, as dwarves I'd always be heavily unfavored yet I'd handily win with minimal losses. I ended up having to play out every tedious minor skirmish because if I didn't a half stack of greenskins would ransack my T2 settlements

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
yeah you guys have guaranteed i'll never download steel faith because that sounds awful.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Gay Horney posted:

yeah you guys have guaranteed i'll never download steel faith because that sounds awful.

Don't let that discourage you, I'm sure it is some oversight. Overall I'm finding it makes a lot more matchups much more interesting. I play on Ultra and as Dwarves Greenskins/Vampire Counts are absolutely swarming with units. Previously one-sided stomps are now tense battles that put a lot more emphasis on the player to swing things favorably.

Also, a Master Engineer can get artillery to end up doing something like 50% more artillery damage with skills alone, and when you count his special abilities and research you're looking at cannons that can wreck dangerous big monsters from extreme range. Not to mention all the firey explodey stuff you can throw their way from your infantry. It just makes everything more useful but because it is pretty fair with spreading the love it also makes the game more tense and challenging as well.

As Empire magic is a lot stronger but you'll need it because every Vampire you fight is downright superhuman.
As Dwarves ranged and artillery is even better but you'll need it because they can throw a ton more bodies your way.
As Vampire Counts your lords and chaff units are better but you'll need it because your opponents will take no quarter.
As Greenskins you likely have parity from sheer numbers so you don't have to spam rok lobbas/sneaky stabbas as much anymore.

It also slows down the rate the AI confederates so they'll be less of a direct threat in a lot of situations, and you'll see more emergent behavior. In my Empire game Mousillion gained a ton of headway because Brettonia didn't confederate toghether and the Frenchy vampires ended up being much stronger overall than even Vampire Counts faction itself simply by taking over half of their territory. Diplomacy becomes a lot more useful since you can hold off some factions while fighting others- I was at war with Vampire counts but had trade agreements going on with Templehoff, for example) so managing that aspect becomes more useful, especially for factions that get research benefits toward diplomacy rating.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The only thing I don't like about SFO at this point is that Wood Elves do poo poo before the first Chaos invasion. What the gently caress is Durthu doing in the Badlands, gently caress off you loving tree nazi. Rot in your forest shithole until the spikeys start appearing.

Yes I know, Elves not doing anything in vanilla until Chaos comes is also kinda lame but whatever, gently caress elves.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

toasterwarrior posted:

Also Mammon, I think your skill boosts to Gyrocopters are bugged. Namely, they're receiving armor and ammo bonuses but not the damage bonuses. Can't comment on reload rate as I have not gotten the tech for that yet.

I'm away from my primary computer, but I'll see if I can get the game running well enough on my laptop to make some changes.

Since I can't modify splash damage, I'm thinking of changing the skill to improve fire rate and ammo if that sounds reasonable.

Edit: Unless someone knows how to modify splash damage, of course!

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 29, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm away from my primary computer, but I'll see if I can get the game running well enough on my laptop to make some changes.

Since I can't modify splash damage, I'm thinking of changing the skill to improve fire rate and ammo if that sounds reasonable.

Edit: Unless someone knows how to modify splash damage, of course!

I'll keep you posted when I reach the Gyrocopter techs since they also improve missile damage.

Also, maybe the +explosion thing from the Master Engineer's final yellow skill is the splash damage boost? I'm still mystified by it, can't find details on what it actually does at all.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Onmi posted:

Still nothing.

If you're not seeing the skill in game at all but the game is loading, then you're missing some component somewhere. I'd suggest searching for a similar skill from the base game in Dave and going from there, making sure you haven't missed anything. Alternatively, you could open up someone else's mod that adds new skills. You could also see if the spell/ability you added shows up correctly if you assign it to a skill that already exists. Skills aren't something I have messed with at all, so I can't really tell you more than that.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 29, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I've been playing some Steel Faith Overhaul and one of the things I really enjoy about it is that it feels like just a remix of the base game (opposed to a complete reworking of the game), in a good way.

Unlike a lot of previous total war titles and their 'acclaimed' overhaul mods I don't feel like Steel Faith Overhaul is 1) really 'needed' to make the game better and 2)not recommended for a first time player. However if you have been playing the game since release it does a good job of mixing up the game enough to give you some of that mystery the game had on release. For example I want to try out all the units again and see what has changed instead of going with the tested and true army builds I would always fall into using in the past.

The fact that it is compatible with Legendary Lords Remastered, Rebanner and Instant Quest Battles is cool too.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 29, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gay Horney posted:

I believe the mod that balances auto resolve can also be used with SFO

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I will say though that the autoresolve being way off can be seriously annoying, as dwarves I'd always be heavily unfavored yet I'd handily win with minimal losses. I ended up having to play out every tedious minor skirmish because if I didn't a half stack of greenskins would ransack my T2 settlements

:shepicide:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The AR is wonky but I never feel it hosed with me in an unfair manner. Like, it might SAY who knows what'll happen but I've won battles with next to no losses where the AR was pretending it'd be an absolute slaughter. I just interpreted it to be the modmaker trying to introduce some wariness on people who rely on AR because it's kind of lame how late-game you don't really fight many battles yourself you just roll the AR dice.

Honestly, it happens the most when unit sizes are taken into account.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I figured it out! It was the Land Units table, it was making it considered an ability like a regular unit would have it! Now to test it in battle.

EDIT: Okay, the skill node shows up, but no actual ability is in Karl's bar. so I have to assume I've messed something up.

EDIT: I appear to have Schrodinger's Skill node. Sometimes it pops up, othertimes it does not. And what I do between edits makes no difference.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 30, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

If you're talking about the autoresolve. It makes me want to download it. My last Orc campaign I got the long campaign victory with 2 battles actually played instead of autoresolved. Both were quest battles.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
It also has a lot of battles where the power bar is like 90% stripey (I assume the striped portion indicates random chance). Generally if you have a battle like this it is definitely winnable if you play it well.

I'm impressed with goons that can pull these wins when the bar is completely red. For me it only seems to happen when everything is going in my favor. Like I have the perfect terrain advantage, enemy reinforcements are coming in from very far away and attacking piecemeal, etc.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Striped portions in the auto-resolve bar means your Lord sucks and can't correctly estimate odds.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The carnosaur looks loving great in this video.

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/869539106589728768

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Some mounts, like horses and even eagles, have a rider to enhance their battle strength and do the bulk of the fighting. For other mounts, like carny here, the rider seems to just be decoration. Even if the old blood could reach the enemy, I doubt being hit with a kinda spiky club is going to contribute much compared to an acrobatic T-Rex

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That elf trying to crawl away. :allears:

Death to all elves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Gotta say, Skaven are going to have to come out strong because the Lizards are on loving point so far.

Goddamn that Carnosaur looks rad as hell :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So a friend and I started a Steel Faith campaign, turn two I noticed that the Red Duke had left the castle, so I seiged it. They came back immediately.

Proceed the bloodiest battle of all time, especially on turn two. I had the Lord, a Paladin, 5 units of cavalry, 2 units of archers, 2 peasant mobs, and two spearmen men at arms units against an insane number of skeletons, zombies, ghouls, Grave Guard, Crypt Horrors and the Red Duke.

We won, with my Paladin and 3 mostly dead units of Knights of the Realm managing to break the last zombies and skeleton spearmen. I had 499 total survivors of the battle (with less than 100 of them still on the field), and the total casualties in the fight was something like ~3800 dead. Since I'd been seiging the town, I took it as the entire garrison was killed in the battle.

Highlights include: watching my bow peasants charge zombies and break on contact once their ammo was depleted. Five units of Knights literally plowing over multiple Zombie units and passing straight through without stopping! The Red Duke loving running around like Superman after units of knights and keeping pace in a horrifying game of tag. Crypt Horrors taking a charge from Knights Errant and giving zero fucks and promptly dismembering half the unit while they tried to get away. My Paladin going toe to toe with the Duke long enough for some knights to charge him over and over and throw him around until he broke.

Most insane battle I've played out and possibly only worked because it was co-op. My economy was wrecked because I lost the Lord for turns, which took my Knights units upkeep sky high, all sorts of craziness. But hey, Mousillion dead on turn two. Feels good.

• Locked thread