Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Anybody interested in a weekly MP game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It really bothers me that the city info in Endless Legend is Food Industry Science Dust Influence instead of FIDSI.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

Custom factions only :unsmigghh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Single player is hosed at the moment and people playing multiplayer say it's even worse, I wouldn't get hopes up on schedule multiplayer yet.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Okay, but only on an old galaxy with pirates on and minor factions off, just to make the Ecologist Vodyani suffer.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Flipswitch posted:

The little art boxes and lore bits really add to the background for ES and EL too. I wonder if there is anywhere they can be downloaded, some of them are gorgeous.

A couple of the artists have artstation profiles. Don't know how many (if any) are wallpaper sized though.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/thomasducrest
https://www.artstation.com/artist/aurel

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Reached turn 80, cant end the turn. Arg.

Also is there any way the other factions will be as fun as Sophons?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Overminty posted:

A couple of the artists have artstation profiles. Don't know how many (if any) are wallpaper sized though.

This is great. Thanks mate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Overminty posted:

I didn't ask for this, but that's one hell of a rad collection.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So here's a weird rear end bug: the game isn't letting me watch battles all of a sudden. I have the thing on but it just auto-resolves it and it's annoying as heck because I'm basically done with this first game but I just wanted to see my big ship that I haven't used yet blow up some aliens first. :argh:

edit: I guess it's because they retreated, although the battle screen just says "Decisive Victory." That's pretty poo poo though, at least let the player watch the retreating fleet get shot at while they run away. I guess if you have a particularly strong fleet then you don't get to watch space battles anymore?

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 29, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Gobblecoque posted:

So here's a weird rear end bug: the game isn't letting me watch battles all of a sudden. I have the thing on but it just auto-resolves it and it's annoying as heck because I'm basically done with this first game but I just wanted to see my big ship that I haven't used yet blow up some aliens first. :argh:

edit: I guess it's because they retreated, although the battle screen just says "Decisive Victory." That's pretty poo poo though, at least let the player watch the retreating fleet get shot at while they run away. I guess if you have a particularly strong fleet then you don't get to watch space battles anymore?

A retreat action isn't even a battle at all. The ships don't get shot at, they just avoid the battle and magically lose half their max HP.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Also is there any way the other factions will be as fun as Sophons?

When ever I doubt the Visionary Leadership of Emperor Zelevas I just go to youtube and play the intro video again.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pedestrian Xing posted:

You know, an all-custom-factions game of Endless Legend (with extremely busted poo poo like cellulose Broken Lords outlawed) could be pretty entertaining, especially with an element of uncertainty introduced. We could have everyone collectively review and approve all the custom factions, then hold a little lottery to see who's going to be playing which faction for the game.

Could even do a 1000 Blank White Cards thing and have all the players vote on which custom factions were the best/most interesting and should be added to the rotation for future games.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
So I'm playing a vodyani game and have a couple of questions for stuff I couldn't figure out. If the system I'm currently occupying only has planets with at most 6 population slots each is there any benefit to going above 6 population on the ark? I've not had a reason to yet but if i withdraw an ark from a system I'm currently occupying do all the system improvements I've built there stay put if I come back to occupying it later on? There's a quest to colonise system "X" before anyone else does, I've occupied this system but the quest doesn't recognise it. I'm guessing that's a bug due to vodyani technically not colonising it?

And finally, I had the fallen take over one of my assimilated minor faction systems which promptly resulted in me pushing their poo poo in, just prior to me declaring war they closed their borders. I crushed whatever military they had and they asked for a truce as long as I gave them 10k gold which I then counter offered demanding all their gold/luxuries/systems/strategics/kitchen sinks as a "gently caress you" to their original proposal. Thing is they accepted! their pops cleared from every system but since we're then in a truce I couldn't cross their borders into the systems they just handed over as their vines still surrounded them, is this intentional? Or is this something to do with the vodyani/unfallen mechanics. I was surprised they agreed but then reloaded when I realised I couldn't move an ark to any of the systems they just cleared of all their pops but still somehow had control over after handing them over to me, I'm still scratching my head as to how that works.

I really enjoy the game so far but feel like amplitude still haven't learn their lessons from endless space/endless legend when it comes to making their games more new user friendly. They got better in endless legend, but ES2 feels like a step back in that regard. The combat as well is really poor, what was wrong with tailoring endless legend's style of combat to this?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

rocket_Magnet posted:

So I'm playing a vodyani game and have a couple of questions for stuff I couldn't figure out. If the system I'm currently occupying only has planets with at most 6 population slots each is there any benefit to going above 6 population on the ark?

Vodyani ignore population caps on the planet, and have their own tech-based pop caps. They make better use of lovely tiny rocks and gas giants than most civs.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Surprise Giraffe posted:

They pushed out a hotfix that might fix the pending turn issue.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. The Craver storyline can possibly involve them reviving multiple Virtual Endless, including one as a hero unit if you don't tear it apart. Gonna have to replay this, see how else this can play out.

I'm very surprised and pleased how there are actual branches to the storyline quests this time around. It gives me options as a player and also keeps me invested on multiple playthroughs.

I haven't been in a position to try it out yet; can Horatio gene-splice Major Faction races like Imperials or Riftborn too?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 29, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, the hotfix seems to have worked. Kudos, please don't let it happen again.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Speedball posted:

Huh. The Craver storyline can possibly involve them reviving multiple Virtual Endless, including one as a hero unit if you don't tear it apart. Gonna have to replay this, see how else this can play out.

I'm very surprised and pleased how there are actual branches to the storyline quests this time around. It gives me options as a player and also keeps me invested on multiple playthroughs.

I haven't been in a position to try it out yet; can Horatio gene-splice Major Faction races like Imperials or Riftborn too?

Speedball posted:

ive spliced sophons, but couldnt do the trees. might be a divide there with buildable pops

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Speedball posted:

yes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Did the AI get smarter and more aggressive? My usual "just focus on economy with only a basic fleet, enemies don't attack early game and they only attack with vastly superior numbers" strategy resulted in space crusaders pushing my poo poo in when everyone was only building their 3rd colony or so and had tons and tons of space.

The map was hosed too. I had a huge area of rich systems all to my self by the space ark dusty robo-boob lady started with 5 adjacent minor civs. Almost all the minor civs in the game spawned in a tight cluster all around her. Lucky duck.

Also I know it's a scify trope but is there any reason most everyone is humanoid in endless space? The virtuals see like blue digital humans, the space ark crusaders are totally human looking despite being dust robots, the fish mafia are pretty humanoid too. Even the cravers have human arms and hands, and a ton of the minor races are humanoid. Yet at the same time there's some real non-humanoid races out there. Is there some sort of trek style "galaxy was seeded to produce humanoids" backstory poo poo?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 29, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Welp, another pending stall after 14 turns. Maybe I should just play with less civs; Unfallen vines not going away is annoying as gently caress anyway.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Did the AI get smarter and more aggressive? My usual "just focus on economy with only a basic fleet, enemies don't attack early game and they only attack with vastly superior numbers" strategy resulted in space crusaders pushing my poo poo in when everyone was only building their 3rd colony or so and had tons and tons of space.

Civs have random personalities in addition to their usual civ traits. Sometimes they're just more aggressive than others.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Also I know it's a scify trope but is there any reason most everyone is humanoid in endless space? The virtuals see like blue digital humans, the space ark crusaders are totally human looking despite being dust robots, the fish mafia are pretty humanoid too. Even the cravers have human arms and hands, and a ton of the minor races are humanoid. Yet at the same time there's some real non-humanoid races out there. Is there some sort of trek style "galaxy was seeded to produce humanoids" backstory poo poo?

There were rear end in a top hat precursors, as is the norm. The Endless engineered a lot of the races in Endless Legend but I think the only races they had a direct influence on in ES2 were the Vodyani and the Cravers along with some minor races I forget. All the others either evolved on their own (UE, Sophons, Lumeris) or were influenced indirectly (Unfallen quest).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Deleter posted:

There were rear end in a top hat precursors, as is the norm. The Endless engineered a lot of the races in Endless Legend but I think the only races they had a direct influence on in ES2 were the Vodyani and the Cravers along with some minor races I forget. All the others either evolved on their own (UE, Sophons, Lumeris) or were influenced indirectly (Unfallen quest).

UE are from Auriga, an Endless laboratory planet, and escaped by salvaging a wrecked Endless ship.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cease to Hope posted:

UE are from Auriga, an Endless laboratory planet, and escaped by salvaging a wrecked Endless ship.

Oh, so that's where the Vaulter storyline goes in EL! (no snark, just interested to find out, and I love how there's continuity between the games.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Antti posted:

Oh, so that's where the Vaulter storyline goes in EL! (no snark, just interested to find out, and I love how there's continuity between the games.)

Fun thing, if you look at the crashed ship they salvage in the Quest ending of EL, and the ship in the preview promo of Endless Space 2... they're the same ship.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Antti posted:

Sort of. For all factions in EL, finishing your faction storyline triggers the endgame event chain. You discover Auriga is dying, that it's so weird because it's a lab where all the experiments escaped, and salvage a ship to escape and leave all the other suckers behind.

Since the Vaulters are in ES2 (as the UE) and not the Necrophage or Cultists or whoever, clearly they are the ones who did that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Strange, is it me or are the best Heroes for leading fleets actually Seekers and not Guardians? Guardians have the stat bonuses, but Seekers also have a decent spread of them and more importantly, have insane travel speed bonuses so your fleet can zip around and cover a wide area of space.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Strange, is it me or are the best Heroes for leading fleets actually Seekers and not Guardians? Guardians have the stat bonuses, but Seekers also have a decent spread of them and more importantly, have insane travel speed bonuses so your fleet can zip around and cover a wide area of space.

Also Seekers get an extra utility slot instead of a mostly negligible weapon slot, so you can run extra probes (for early-game questing/XP) or titanium slugs (for conquest). Guardians are just kind of mediocre.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really need to start trying heros for fleets, always put them on planets.
Also is the game fixed or not? Some people saying the end of turn/battle tactics hang is fixed, others saying it's not.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Baronjutter posted:

I really need to start trying heros for fleets, always put them on planets.
Also is the game fixed or not? Some people saying the end of turn/battle tactics hang is fixed, others saying it's not.

Re: Heroes it still looks very much like you need to level them as governors before you send them on fleet duties. I've been fighting a war @ 7-9 CP, had a level 3 hero in at least 5 proper battles with a bunch of killing, and he still hasn't levelled up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Deleter posted:

The Heart of the Unfallen is actually a Lost, not one of the Endless. (The Lost were the precursors before the Endless.) It's why, as the Unfallen, I chose to follow the Academy rather than go against it the first time I actually did that quest.

Baronjutter posted:

There's a beta patch that increased AI aggressiveness and colonization, maybe that hit with the hotfix.

Edit: The hotfix you're asking about in another post:

quote:

[COMPATIBILITY]

All AMDfix changes have been ported to the main branch

[FIX]

Removed an AI optimization causing games to get stuck in a Turn pending state
Fixed an issue with the Bailiff end of turn check that caused a pending turn issue
Fixed various issues with AI handling of quests that could result in pending turns
Fixed an issue with AI diplomatic state machine sometimes getting stuck and resulting in a pending turn
Added a failsafe for AI to continue making decisions even if encounters an issue

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 29, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man I've played a few games to finish but I never got any of this academy stuff. Other than notes that the academy now offers level X heros, and the initial quest to find it, nothing. Oh I think once there was some "PROTECT THE ACADEMY!" quest where some wimpy enemy fleets spawned all over.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

toasterwarrior posted:

Well, the hotfix seems to have worked. Kudos, please don't let it happen again.

Yeah! Now it doesn't display turn pending, it just stalls on turn two with "ending turn" instead.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Those fleets need to be taken out before the quest chain can continue I believe, even if the time limit is failed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

LordSloth posted:

Yeah! Now it doesn't display turn pending, it just stalls on turn two with "ending turn" instead.

Yeah, my poo poo got hosed too earlier. Goddammit, I just want to be hypochondriac extradimensional time robots and listen to their awesome theme song on loop.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Despite not sharing a border or even a galactic arm with them and, unlike with how I pissed off the UE, not making demands I told them to stuff, the Lumeris decided to declare war and preemptively take out one of my most populated systems. Even though I have three times their score, most of that from the overpowered carriers I started churning out every turn to carpet-bomb those stupid uppity humans when they wouldn't let me build robits in peace

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

I'd be very interested since MP was by far the best way to play EL.

Not so interested with Custom factions or if the Desync issues are still a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

It feels like seekers are better if you already have a stronger fleet than your enemy but guardians can make their fleet crazy buff which can really save you if you're fighting an aggressive enemy that's making GBS threads out ships like they're candy. Guardians also get an ability that can give a system +40/80% production which is pretty sweet.