Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

shootforit posted:

To clarify, it is a $70 discount.

Yeah, thought i typed "off" after $70 and I clearly didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Target is also doing $70 off series 1. I just picked up a 42mm S1 yesterday, it's great so far.

Too many band options though, hard to land on a decision.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

When it comes time to replace my watch I think I'll spring for the more expensive version with the tougher glass. I've had mine for, what, half a year now and I've already got scuffs on the edges of the glass. Not scratched to the point where I want to actively do something about it, but if I can avoid them then all the better. Most of mine are just bumping against walls when I walk by tight spaces, etc. I'd classify it as daily wear and tear. I can probably buff them out somehow but knowing me I'd just end up with a bigger mess.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

When it comes time to replace my watch I think I'll spring for the more expensive version with the tougher glass. I've had mine for, what, half a year now and I've already got scuffs on the edges of the glass. Not scratched to the point where I want to actively do something about it, but if I can avoid them then all the better. Most of mine are just bumping against walls when I walk by tight spaces, etc. I'd classify it as daily wear and tear. I can probably buff them out somehow but knowing me I'd just end up with a bigger mess.

This is the same in my experience, but the more expensive Apple Watch is heavier,which was my biggest reason not to get it. I'm sure I would get used to the weight, but I like the sport more for that reason.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GoldfishStew posted:

I love my sssb s2 to death. Totally changed how I interact with my Apple stuff in terms of picking of my phone, work outs, mini iPod. It's dope.

Also, one of my favorite non-notification / heads up dashboard watch features is using airpods and listening to music off your iPhone and using the watch music app to control volume/playlist activities owns.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

rage-saq posted:

Also, one of my favorite non-notification / heads up dashboard watch features is using airpods and listening to music off your iPhone and using the watch music app to control volume/playlist activities owns.

lol that's exactly what I was doing this morning and thinking how slick it was.

Then I accepted a phone call on my watch and talked on my AirPods.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I bought an Apple Watch S2 while abroad on vacation a couple of months ago (cannot travel to HK without purchasing some cheap electronics!)

I remember when i first got an iPAD i was thinking "what good is this thing, why do i need this when i have a PC?" but after getting it i was blown away at how convenient it was for certain things, it certainly filled a need i didn't know i had.
Im not sure i can say the same thing about the Apple Watch. It is certainly not a life changing device.

Things like activity trackers, seeing notifications, apointments and text messages on my wrist, having a wristwatch are all nice though.
Battery life seems good, i use between 15 and 25% per day.

I am not sure if i will buy a new one when this one bites the dust;

I am a bit surprised how unprofessional many of the watchfeatures are.
*There is very few apps for it, and they are very difficult to find. Why is there no apple watch section of the app store?
*There are different watch faces but why aren't there more? Why can't people make these so others, like myself, can download them? There is not really any watch faces that fill all my needs, a couple of them fill half my needs but i don't want to and shouldn't have to keep swapping between them for the information i need. This is purely a software thing, i should be able to configure a watch face to show exactly the information i want and with a layout i like.
*Some of the watch faces are simply ugly and genuinely surprising that was ever OK'd by Apple management.
*Why is only Mickey Mouse and Minney Mouse featured, where is the rest of the Disney cast?
*Why is Mickey and Minney not moving in sync with seconds but at a different pace not related to timekeeping? That is flat out unprofessional
*The App grid on the watch is very impractical. It should be a a "sphere" so if you keep moving the app grid in 1 direction you end up circling back where you came from (not sure i am explaining that properly)
*There are no options to display weather information for my location, it only displays our capitol, meaning that any weather information is completely useless for me as the capitol is 500km away.
*When "3D-touching" (lol) the watchface to see the zoomed out view of available watch faces, i should be able to use the scroll wheel to quickly change between them, instead of having to flick 47 loving times to get to the Mickey watch face (which my Daugher loves to look at)

I bought a knock off Milanese chain when i bought the watch. Apple's genuine chain cost 2300,- while the knockoff cost 79,-!. Apart from the fixed end of the chain falling out of its socket after 2 weeks of use (super glue fixed that right up) it is indistinguishable from the real deal. It is also a lot more comfortable to wear than the rubber band that came with the watch.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 24, 2017

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A lot of those things are a matter of taste.

Mickey watches are specifically a classic thing. Other characters are not.

He taps his foot once a second and winks every 15. If you line up a bunch of watches, they'll all tap in sync because Apple went to great lengths to ensure accurate time keeping. It's really impressive imho.

Trim down the watch faces you actually need. I don't need to swipe "47 times" because I only keep 2-3 of my favorites active.

The honeycomb view is kind of cumbersome, but again, trim it down to what you use on the dock.

The watch is nicer as a quick glance device and it way nicer when you get it customized to the point that you don't even need the "long form" interface navigation.

Weather cities are customizable. I don't know how you've missed that. Mine shows my tiny town same as my phone. There are also plenty of third party apps that will update weather location with gps.

To find those 3rd party apps, there absolutely is a section of the App Store devoted to the watch. It's found in the watch app.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 24, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I had a knockoff Milanese Loop, too, and it wasn't even a particularly cheap one (it was some $40 one sold at Best Buy.) The black coloring had started stripping off within a month, and the non-Loop lug broke maybe a month after that. Thankfully I was sitting at home at the time, otherwise I probably would've had a broken watch.

I've since bought the real band, overpriced as it may be, but it's held up perfectly fine for at least six months now, with no color stripping.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Has Apple created a way to upload podcasts to the Watch? I'm thinking of upgrading my Series 0 with the Nike edition so that I can forgo taking my phone on my runs for the GPS tracking. I can't imagine my long runs without listening to podcasts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Crayvex posted:

Has Apple created a way to upload podcasts to the Watch? I'm thinking of upgrading my Series 0 with the Nike edition so that I can forgo taking my phone on my runs for the GPS tracking. I can't imagine my long runs without listening to podcasts.

I think overcast figured this out

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, Overcast does it, and Marco very recently overhauled his system completely. Apparently, it's not quite as straightforward as just copying a file.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Couldn't you just change the media type to music in iTunes?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Dude it's 2017 no one uses iTunes

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Rick posted:

Couldn't you just change the media type to music in iTunes?

Sure, but you must not consume many podcasts. I can't imagine manually managing everything at this point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I consume dozens unfortunately. But maybe changing 2-3 for you to have on a run or something isn't too bad, even if not ideal.

I was doing this for an early shuffle I had, that during a certain period was unable to have podcasts sycned to it because the early shuffle was pre-podcast-media-type and when iTunes went hardline about media types, for a few months of the beta it wouldn't sync podcasts over unless they were changed to music media type.

I guess it was pretty annoying though since I ended up buying a newer shuffle rather than keep dealing with it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

A lot of those things are a matter of taste.

Mickey watches are specifically a classic thing. Other characters are not.

I guess its a cultural thing.
My country has no relationship to Mickey at all. We have however had a weekly comic book of Donald Duck since the mid 40s, which has got to be one of the worlds longest running comic book series.

eddiewalker posted:

He taps his foot once a second and winks every 15. If you line up a bunch of watches, they'll all tap in sync because Apple went to great lengths to ensure accurate time keeping. It's really impressive imho.

Ok, to me the tapping looked erratic.

eddiewalker posted:

Trim down the watch faces you actually need. I don't need to swipe "47 times" because I only keep 2-3 of my favorites active.

Yeah that made the list more manageable. You didn't address how it is not possible to use the wheel to scroll through the list.

eddiewalker posted:

The honeycomb view is kind of cumbersome, but again, trim it down to what you use on the dock.

Not sure what you mean. "use on the dock"?

eddiewalker posted:

The watch is nicer as a quick glance device and it way nicer when you get it customized to the point that you don't even need the "long form" interface navigation.
Yes i agree, and this is the primary reason i got it. Having apps and such is added convenience, which i feel fall really short at the moment. Also am very disappointed the watch faces aren't more customizable than they are.

eddiewalker posted:

Weather cities are customizable. I don't know how you've missed that. Mine shows my tiny town same as my phone. There are also plenty of third party apps that will update weather location with gps.

I can select a single city, our capitol.

eddiewalker posted:

To find those 3rd party apps, there absolutely is a section of the App Store devoted to the watch. It's found in the watch app.

Alright, i have had a look there now. Im not really sure what i was expecting wrt apps on the watch but most of the apps seems like they are iPhone apps primarily and bundle in a watch widget secondarily. I guess i was looking for something...more? There is no specific app i am missing. I guess i was hoping/wanting the watch to be a wrist worn iphone rather than a watch with a semi implemented app eco system and a tiny bit of customization.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ineptitude posted:

I can select a single city, our capitol.

Where do you live?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ineptitude posted:

I guess its a cultural thing.
My country has no relationship to Mickey at all. We have however had a weekly comic book of Donald Duck since the mid 40s, which has got to be one of the worlds longest running comic book series.

If you're curious, here is a brief history on Mickey Mouse watches: http://www.wdwfacts.com/2015/08/14/the-mickey-mouse-watch-a-quick-history/

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Where do you live?

:norway:

Rick posted:

If you're curious, here is a brief history on Mickey Mouse watches: http://www.wdwfacts.com/2015/08/14/the-mickey-mouse-watch-a-quick-history/

Alright, this makes it more clear why Mickey on the Apple Watch now.
Without any context its going to seem pretty random for us, and wonder why other Disney characters aren't included

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

You're going to make someone look up a flag instead of just answering a question?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It's Norway.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
"Use in the dock" -- press the (non-crown) button, that's your dock, which allows quicker access to apps. You can add and remove (and reorder) apps that show up on the dock.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Ineptitude posted:

Alright, i have had a look there now. Im not really sure what i was expecting wrt apps on the watch but most of the apps seems like they are iPhone apps primarily and bundle in a watch widget secondarily. I guess i was looking for something...more? There is no specific app i am missing. I guess i was hoping/wanting the watch to be a wrist worn iphone rather than a watch with a semi implemented app eco system and a tiny bit of customization.

I mean the Watch itself *requires* the iPhone... There aren't apps for the Watch so much as there are iPhone apps which expose an Apple Watch experience.

It's not meant to replace your iPhone, it's meant to augment your interaction with the Apple ecosystem.

EDIT: a letter

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Coming from a Pebble I think really helped me use the Apple Watch in a way where I feel like I get a ton out of it. I use it as an iPod and to take my phone out less. In my opinion, it's not meant to do app heavy stuff. There's just not that much screen real estate for viewing and touching purposes. You may be wanting a different smart watch if you want to do lots on it.

One of my friends got some no name smart watch, it looks huge on his wrist and he's like, "You can watch youtube on it! It has a browser!" That's just not what wearables are for, for me. I use it for glances, checking messages, checking the time and checking the weather. It helps me when I run. The only non-stock app I have on there is Overcast and Dark Sky.

Your enjoyment of the watch and value you see in it is going to be based on your philosophy of how you view using it, in my opinion. You're kind of bemoaning it for things I don't think you should have came to the table expecting, and your other complaints just sort of come down to taste.

Should there be some more watch faces by now? Yes, I'll agree to that. But I remember in the old iPhone days, you couldn't even set your own photos as wallpaper, you couldn't send MMS...lots of stuff. It takes time. Either be patient, change how you view the watch, or possibly return and look for another watch that offers what you think you want.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This discussion comes at a good time, I'm still flip-flopping on getting an Apple Watch. I flopped and got one of these, and it's great because it looks like a watch and has 20-day battery life. But I'm finding myself wanting it to do more things, like show the text of messages rather than just who sent them.

The things I like the look of:

- Watch that changes time zone as I shuttle between the UK and the mainland (I assume it does this automatically?)
- Strava for cycling
- QR codes for boarding passes (out of sheer geekery)
- Flight updates
- Notifications for things like Google Inbox and Outlook

Any other cool cycling or travel things it can do?

I'm also stuck in the giant price range between the S1 Aluminium (probably good enough?) and the S2 Stainless Steel (I'm clumsy with a physical job). Will I regret not getting the S2?

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 29, 2017

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes to all your questions except maybe the QR codes -- check the individual airline apps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If there's a Wallet pass for your airline it will show up on your watch as well.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah dude you are perfect for an Apple Watch.

I'm not sure where I read it, but a big thing that has helped me is getting in the habit of charging my apple devices at night when I go to bed, just like brushing my teeth. My Series 2 Apple Watch gets 2+ days battery life (not three days, just saying, it'll be like 9% or so into day three if I didnt use the Watch GPS on it's own for a long time, etc.) and that is plenty for me. Charges quick and is pretty beasty.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks all, I think I'm pretty much sold. Daily charging was one of my concerns (ugh, another thing to keep topped up) but it sounds like it's not so bad. Charger on the nightstand, one in the work bag and it should be doable.

Last thing, can any app do turn-by-turn navigation? I'm good at getting lost when cycling a new route, having the watch say "turn left onto X street" would be fantastic.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Apples native nav has watch support built in. Run nav on your phone and the watch will show the distance to your next turn. And the watch will tap you right before you should turn.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

if you get a series 2 one of the bonus features is built in GPS. But yes, everything the above poster said. Pro move is Airpods and Watch.

Apple Maps ability to be so seamless on the phone (especially with the battery saving Lock Screen feature) and watch made me jump ship from google maps.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bobstar posted:

Thanks all, I think I'm pretty much sold. Daily charging was one of my concerns (ugh, another thing to keep topped up) but it sounds like it's not so bad. Charger on the nightstand, one in the work bag and it should be doable.

Last thing, can any app do turn-by-turn navigation? I'm good at getting lost when cycling a new route, having the watch say "turn left onto X street" would be fantastic.

I bought a cheap 3D printed charging dock for my watch that took a lot of the tedium out of charging it every night. Highly recommended if you don't mind 3M sticking something to your nightstand!

And yes, Apple's default Maps app (and likely Google Maps as well) does turn-by-turn navigation via haptics as you approach a turn. Something like 3 quick taps for a left, and 3 slow long taps for a right (or vice versa.) Of course, activating the screen will show you the actual direction.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The navigation haptics and sound are like low high low high for right and high low high low for left.

Hard soft hard soft. Soft hard soft hard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Google Maps recently removed their Watch app.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Yeah but you still get notifications. They removed it because it was useless.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

What are the chances of a IEM version of AirPods? EarPods fall out my ear

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

GoldfishStew posted:

You're going to make someone look up a flag instead of just answering a question?

If you mouseover emoticons on SA they will tell you the code you need to write to display them. I assumed this was common knowledge. The code to display Norways flag is : norway : Had the code been : here be reindeer : or something similar i'd understand how someone could struggle with knowing which country it is.

Bobstar posted:

The charger for the watch is unique to the watch. You don't plug anything into the watch but rather place the watch on a magnetic dock. If you bring the charger with you in the work bag it is an additional item to bring in addition to the iPhone charger.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

"Use in the dock" -- press the (non-crown) button, that's your dock, which allows quicker access to apps. You can add and remove (and reorder) apps that show up on the dock.

Thanks.
Time for a spring cleaning!

I also figured out the weather thing. I had to reinstall the weather app on my iPhone and add my city from there

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 30, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dugong posted:

What are the chances of a IEM version of AirPods? EarPods fall out my ear

Just get Beats X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Ineptitude posted:

If you mouseover emoticons on SA they will tell you the code you need to write to display them. I assumed this was common knowledge. The code to display Norways flag is : norway : Had the code been : here be reindeer : or something similar i'd understand how someone could struggle with knowing which country it is.

Now i get your username.

• Locked thread