Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
:cthulhu: "Greetings eartlings, lo an behold this picture my three year old kid drew, I mean... VISION OF THE FUTURE showing earth blowing up. BUT! .... but I can prevent that from happening if you just surrender to me! What do you s"

:ohdear: : "I surrender!"
:v: :"No, me first!"
:black101: :"I surrender way harder than the other guys!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ewe2 posted:

Moffat's gonna Moffat.

Except it was RTD who did it the first time, so I don't get your point?

Also, the Doctor had no trouble setting the bomb, which was a touchscreen

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

2house2fly posted:

I'm 99% sure she was made lesbian because Steven Moffat wanted to address his image as a conservative fuddy duddy who can't imagine Doctor Who as anything but a show about a white man hero whose beautiful female sidekicks fall in love with him.

Or because it works for her character and allows to make more inventive stories and fun situations. Why do we see the need to ascribe some sinister motive to good things?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

2house2fly posted:

I'm 99% sure she was made lesbian because Steven Moffat wanted to address his image as a conservative fuddy duddy who can't imagine Doctor Who as anything but a show about a white man hero whose beautiful female sidekicks fall in love with him.

Hey is the voice of the Monks the same guy who voiced the Mouth Of Sauron in Return Of The King?

Edit: no he was not. He's not been in anything I'd recognise him from even though the voice sounds maddeningly familiar

I thought it was Nick Briggs doing his ice warrior voice. I guess when you go deep, sibilant and use received pronunciation you've only got so many ways it can sound.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The_Doctor posted:

I think the point is:

Moffat's gonna RTD.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Well, at least Doctor Who wasn't the most boring television of the Bank Holiday Weekend. :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren: HEY :siren:

You know what you should buy? These awesome prints/prop replicas courtesy of echoplex, great person of this parish. He has a little store here, and honestly it's good stuff: http://clarksworth.bigcartel.com/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Moffat's been in charge long enough that he catches blame for things he didn't do. No joke, a few months ago in the Doctor Who thread on a different forum, there was a guy asking why the president from "The Sound of Drums" was only "president-elect" and the reply was "He's president-elect because Moffat is an idiot".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm still mad about what happened to Clara but I love Peter Capaldi

should I watch the new season, is it any good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm still mad about what happened to Clara but I love Peter Capaldi

should I watch the new season, is it any good

It's the best run of Capaldi episodes yet.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The_Doctor posted:

:siren: HEY :siren:

You know what you should buy? These awesome prints/prop replicas courtesy of echoplex, great person of this parish. He has a little store here, and honestly it's good stuff: http://clarksworth.bigcartel.com/

Easy birthday present for the missus spotted...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The_Doctor posted:

It's the best run of Capaldi episodes yet.

By this time in series 8 I didn't like the first half of Deep Breath, Time Heist or Kill The Moon. So far this series I haven't liked episode 4 and this new one, so as long as they can avoid another forest episode I'm optimistic

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The problem with the "series of little mistakes" leading to doom was that they were all loving stupid

Who holds a door open with their handbag? How did that guy not trip over the loving handbag that was in his doorway? Who gets so blind drunk that they actually have loving vision problems the next day and not go to a hospital?!?

The lab itself was bloody stupid because blind people being unable to work in a lab aside, when working with chemicals poo poo splashing in your eyes is a real threat - I didn't see any eye wash stations in there so the combo lock should have been able to be operated by someone who was temporarily blind.

In the episode's one defence Erica could have opened the door for the Doctor but "it was in lockdown". But then the Doctor had an active phone call with Bill, which he could have done a loving video call to get Bill to tell him what to do! ARGH.

Anyway, they interviewed Moffat on Whovians and he came off as quite a lovely chap. I also had a bit of a fist pump moment when the doctor figured out the cameras.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who still has literal easy-shatter glass lenses in their glasses? Polycarbonates are basically the standard and just pop out of the frame.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Also it looked like there was absolutely nothing else in the bag otherwise it would have protected the glasses

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

A series of contrivances to make the doctors blindness relevant to make bill make the decision the writers needed.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Every time we watch an episode like this, my wife screams "You can't eat in the lab!" at the screen, and I enjoy it a lot.

It's a shame the "series of unfortunate events" (a misplaced decimal, really?) sort of didn't work for me, because I did really like those two characters. I wanted to see them go out after work and complain about their boss, whoever that is, for awhile, and then say "Well, that was a load off, let's do that again next month."

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Compared to other things on Doctor Who, I didn't find the idea of a series of coincidences leading to released contamination unrealistic. The idea that a bacteria could kill everything on earth was a stretch, but mechanical or human error leading to a widespread catastrophe is not that odd of an idea. A highly lethal virus escaping from a research lab seems a likely enough idea.

Here is a list of times when the world came close to nuclear war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_close_calls#1950s

There have been a number of times when technical and human error almost led to nuclear war. The scenario in the episode seems likely enough for a science fiction story.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Namtab posted:

A series of contrivances to make the doctors blindness relevant to make bill make the decision the writers needed.

Which, of course, she didn't have the authority to make. Her "power" was derived from the Doctor, and the Doctor had pretty obviously not authorized her to exercise that power in that way, so her consent could be as honest and loving as they wanted, it wasn't "consent from power," just consent from someone who was quite fond of power.

In other stories, it might be unrealistic to think the aliens would know this. But the show has already established that they have pervasively infiltrated the lab's comms, and that they have nigh-omniscience when it comes to whether people follow their rules, which they care a really whole lot about. The show has gone out of its way to establish that the aliens should know this. Come on.

To be sure, that's the cherry on the poo poo sundae. A story about the dark side of ~consent~ really makes me wonder what the author's done to get on the wrong side of consent. But if you have to write creepy poo poo, you can at least respect the audience enough to follow the rules you set out in your very own story.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The aliens supposedly have simulated humans for all their history and yet think that to be loved they should look like spooky corpses and kill people who are trying to go along with you for no good reason and not explain what you actually want from them.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hemingway To Go! posted:

The aliens supposedly have simulated humans for all their history and yet think that to be loved they should look like spooky corpses and kill people who are trying to go along with you for no good reason and not explain what you actually want from them.

Something something "It's impossible to accurately simulate human stupidity" something something

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who still has literal easy-shatter glass lenses in their glasses? Polycarbonates are basically the standard and just pop out of the frame.

Eh, you can pay extra for glass. It has advantages and disadvantages, especially if you have only a light eye sight issue. Glass is clearer and scratches less (which is moot if you use a anti-reflective coating in the first place). Polycarbonate is lighter, allows for stronger lenses and protects against UV. I had both over the years, but the lower weight (I have really bad eyes) means I'm staying with Polycarbonate.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

Echoplex, did you say you'd left the show at this point?

Yeah, I had a few remnants in the Space Station ep but that was it. I'm in this as an outsider now!

Plavski posted:

Gotta say that the lab UI was a bit on the wonky side too. It looked more Wargames than Windows.

My assistant who stayed on (who is awesome) told me that from space station onwards they were outsourcing the video graphics to a pro company (who I was also using on the other job, we all use them) so they were probably working from templates they already have. I always tried to keep it in house (bit of a control freak), but I noticed that the Ganymede ones had so much more detail than I'd ever have had the time to generate, so maybe in the future I need to let go a little.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
What a dreary, dismal episode. The writer is a hack who should be banished.

I am not a fan of Bill, apparently the stupidest companion ever. I get all the modern and edgy and whatever, but once it's been fairly well established that you are traveling with someone of the calibre of the doctor, when he says "DON'T", you ignore him? As bugs bunny would say, "what a maroon!".

Bill is like the sonic-not-ex-machina now. Always breaks at the critical moment.

Mind you, if this lab is an example of the best they have for making GMOs, then I'd be worried. Very, very worried.

This show desperately needs a scientific advisor who knows some actual science, and has at least been inside a lab. If you are going to be "sciency" (like CERN last week), then at least get some advisors who know what this stuff is about. That or stop putting it in the show.

God, what a horrid episode. They've even managed to make Missy into a lousy bit player. At least give her a pointy stick!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't like the episode (and they probably should stop hiring Harness), but I think Bill's motivation makes sense. The Doctor is the best thing that ever happened to her, she doesn't know about regeneration, and he doesn't tell her "I'll be alright," he says "I have to die; I don't know what surrendering to them will do." She has to choose between the certain death of her friend and a situation she thinks that he'll be able to fix, given how many impossible scenarios he's eventually been able to solve with time. Not everything sat well in terms of character motivations this time (Nardole's "Force is never the answer... right?" and the Doctor saying that they should go to full-scale war with the things felt weirdly preachy), but I don't think Bill, as presented, is an idiot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Bill is a normal person and she hasn't seen the Doctor pull of miracles or know about regeneration or anything yet. She's fine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I've noticed is that ideas that start off being really stupid can have fairly good payoffs. Everyone makes fun of the Slitheen for the farting calcium thing and their dumb design, but I thought that the followup when Blon Fel Fotch Passameer-Day Slitheen tried to get elected in Cardiff was pretty good regardless, as she was actually a fun character who developed a good rapport with Eccleston's Doctor.

"And you think Cardiff blowing up wouldn't generate unwanted attention?"
"Oh please, Downing street wouldn't notice if Wales slid into the sea... oh would you listen to me now, I've gone native :v:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZOFZggG4w - Only good vid of the scene I can find.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 30, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow, Bill the stupidest companion ever?

C'mon now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I've noticed is that ideas that start off being really stupid can have fairly good payoffs. Everyone makes fun of the Slitheen for the farting calcium thing and their dumb design, but I thought that the followup when Blon Fel Fotch Passameer-Day Slitheen tried to get elected in Cardiff was pretty good regardless, as she was actually a fun character who developed a good rapport with Eccleston's Doctor.

"And you think Cardiff blowing up wouldn't generate unwanted attention?"
"Oh please, Downing street wouldn't notice if Wales slid into the sea... oh would you listen to me now, I've gone native :v:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZOFZggG4w - Only good vid of the scene I can find.

To be fair, the Slitheen were extremely stupid in their first appearance, and the mayoral episode doesn't negate how bad they are. (I also think that episode was only okay; the Doctor portions of it are alright but Mickey-being-jealous kind of sucked.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mickey did nothing wrong. Rose was an arsehole to him, and promptly lost interest the moment she came across someone new and exciting. She compared him to the Doctor and of course he's not going to measure up to that. That's not his fault.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Man is jealous of non-romantic interest and they break up over it" is just sooooo tired, though. When Mickey gets defensive about how he's seeing somebody, he might as well have yelled "WE WERE ON A BREAK!"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Aliens of London is a good story

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like "Aliens of London" a lot. Of all the episodes of the 2005 series, I think it's the most 2005, which I should say I don't mean in a bad way.

(The far-future setting keeps the last two with the reality TV parodies from being more so.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Having now caught up, I thought that episode was pretty drat poor. It also had the major, major problem that Sherlock also has that the main character acts like a stupid person's idea of a clever person - plucking things out of the air that just happen to be right.

A friend of mine described the episode as "a summary of the episode, but with the sentences randomly allocated to characters"

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

sunnyboy posted:

What a dreary, dismal episode. The writer is a hack who should be banished.

I am not a fan of Bill, apparently the stupidest companion ever. I get all the modern and edgy and whatever, but once it's been fairly well established that you are traveling with someone of the calibre of the doctor, when he says "DON'T", you ignore him? As bugs bunny would say, "what a maroon!".

Bill is like the sonic-not-ex-machina now. Always breaks at the critical moment.

Mind you, if this lab is an example of the best they have for making GMOs, then I'd be worried. Very, very worried.

This show desperately needs a scientific advisor who knows some actual science, and has at least been inside a lab. If you are going to be "sciency" (like CERN last week), then at least get some advisors who know what this stuff is about. That or stop putting it in the show.

God, what a horrid episode. They've even managed to make Missy into a lousy bit player. At least give her a pointy stick!

Correction. "breaks at the critical moment" I meant to write about Nodol, not Bill. Bill is merely stupid and as written so far, I stand by it.

Still, Bill is better than Adric. I admit it's a close race with Tegan and Bill neck and neck at the moment. But they really need to get a MUCH better writer if they plan on building Bill into a decent character. So far it's been dismal.

I also mean "stupid" in a very specific way. If you see someone doing things that are extraordinary (and the whole tardis reveal and first trip do qualify IMO), and then insist on or persist in being pigheaded about how right you are about everything, I call that stupid. Not just stupid, but farm-animal stupid. The writing really has been dreadful.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Companions have been ignoring what the Doctor tells them to do since 1963

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like there are a ton of reasons to dislike that episode but "Bill decided to save the Doctor even though he told her not to" is not "farm animal stupid," Jesus Christ.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A friend of mine described the episode as "a summary of the episode, but with the sentences randomly allocated to characters"

This sums up a lot of what the problem with that scene I was talking about with that Nardole scene I mentioned, and really any scene where the Doctor was giving exposition to the room full of military people. It feels like they're going for that scene where Nine keeps saying "Narrows it down!" except people are just yelling random guesses and the Doctor is saying "Good, yes! It's exactly that!"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

sunnyboy posted:

I also mean "stupid" in a very specific way. If you see someone doing things that are extraordinary (and the whole tardis reveal and first trip do qualify IMO), and then insist on or persist in being pigheaded about how right you are about everything, I call that stupid. Not just stupid, but farm-animal stupid. The writing really has been dreadful.
The Doctor was being self sacrificing. He was willing to die to save the world. Bill had an attachment to the Doctor and "the world" probably seemed like an abstract concept that could be sorted out later.

This is not stupidity. This is contrasting values. It was probably one of the more legit reasons to ignore the Doctor in a series that has shown dozens of companions who refused to listen to him at one time or another.

It's certainly not not, uh, "farm-animal" stuff.

Edit: Heck, Bill's reasoning was probably correct. The Doctor will fix everything next episode, whereas he would have died if Bill listened to him, opening up the Earth to all sorts of nasty alien threats.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 31, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
This episode wasn't very good. There were a few little bits I liked.

I did like "Then the pope came in!" "Ahaha wild." *Head of the UN comes in*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

spectralent posted:

This episode wasn't very good. There were a few little bits I liked.

I did like "Then the pope came in!" "Ahaha wild." *Head of the UN comes in*

I really hope we get another take on that joke before the season is out. :allears:

• Locked thread