Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Internet Kraken posted:

Its sad that Obama making fun of Trump because he would never be president is probably a significant contributor to him entering politics in the first place.

Trump has been putting himself in as a candidate for president for years now. I think maybe even going back to the 90s? He usually pulled out early on and mostly used it as a means of drawing attention to himself. This cycle it just happened to actually take off

e: here's a timeline: http://www.tvguide.com/news/donald-trump-presidential-campaign-timeline/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much. he hates obama to the core, actually why does he hate obama? i mean why did he get on the birther poo poo to begin with?

Go look at a picture of Obama. See? Obvious now, isn't it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kekekela posted:

Could you explain to me how you hold these two ideas in your head at the same time?

Because the singing seemed normal to me, based on what happens in Canada, and everything else seemed weird. Apparently in the US, as has now been made clear, it's disrespectful to sing along with the anthem in that situation, in addition to being disrespectful to bob around like a bored toddler (which would be the same anywhere). It's really not as obvious as everyone here seems to think.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

a bunch of people are going #NotAllAmericans about it.
You really shouldn't be all "sorry I hurt your feelings" or equate an active part of the country doing what they can to stop a coordinated undermining of the foundation of this country to a lovely twitter hashtag. It makes you look like a stupid poo poo. The main thing to focus on is getting a democratic government in power ASAP. Trump's presidency has helpfully exposed a huge amount of flaws in the system, and so long as enough intelligent democrats get in power, they can take steps to prevent those problems for the future. The constitution's old. It's a flawed document. This massively corrupt party on the right has shown there needs to be more checks and balances on our elected officials, especially one such as the president.

Hell, I had an argument with my air force veteran dad about governmental checks and balances just today, and he kept arguing for smaller government. When I counter-argued that the leading world power can't really be "small government", he didn't really know what to say. It seems like actually calling out right-wing folks on their reasons for wanting "small government" makes most of them stumble, or say something ridiculously stupid and naive in response.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its sad that Obama making fun of Trump because he would never be president is probably a significant contributor to him entering politics in the first place.
I don't want to say I am "glad" someone so utterly stupid and incompetent as trump was the nominee instead of someone who could potentially do an even half-decent job of hiding their awfulness, but if this was the time Putin was going to make his serious move to undermine the US government, he picked the worst possible tool. Trump has been an unbelievable wake-up call to a lot of people, especially those who "don't want to follow politics". He's making it very hard not to, because his actions are directly affecting vast swathes of the entire population, of almost all classes, races, and economic groups.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Trump at Arlington is the equivalent of having a moment of silence for our war dead, everyone but Trump bows their heads to pay respect and reflect on their sacrifices but Trump is a bored idiot who doesn't understand decorum so he keeps talking loudly.

You would think as a reality TV star he would be more aware of his public image but then he does stuff like shove other NATO heads, flip off the Italian PM, stupid overly aggressive handshakes, and is disrespectful at Arlington.

It's not that big of a deal but it's a slow news day. It also is just more evidence that Trump is a moron, like we needed any more. And that his aides are really terrible too, if they were competent they would have prepped him better and told him to be appropriately somber and respectful.

PT6A posted:

Because the singing seemed normal to me, based on what happens in Canada, and everything else seemed weird. Apparently in the US, as has now been made clear, it's disrespectful to sing along with the anthem in that situation, in addition to being disrespectful to bob around like a bored toddler (which would be the same anywhere). It's really not as obvious as everyone here seems to think.

It's actually super obvious if you spend three seconds considering the context, which is on Memorial Day at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the national cemetery honoring American soldiers killed in wars.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 30, 2017

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There's also the one with Cornel West.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

BarbarianElephant posted:

Go look at a picture of Obama. See? Obvious now, isn't it?

is it the ears?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What has the C list MARK HAMILL done since the failure Star War. He is a joke and needs to learn respect. Sad!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

DrNutt posted:

It's not that they were bastards, it's just that I don't think there's anything inherently heroic about serving in the military. For many people it's a privilege, and one that ensures an exceptional suite of long and short term benefits (medical care, food and housing, retirement funding, college education). And frankly, there's nothing wrong with honoring those that have died in that service, I just don't like pretending that it was in service to my freedom. Because we are sending people off to die for bullshit.

WW2

Checkmate.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Deceptive Thinker posted:

is it the ears?

Hmm, try adjusting the color on your screen.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pellisworth posted:

Trump at Arlington is the equivalent of having a moment of silence for our war dead, everyone but Trump bows their heads to pay respect and reflect on their sacrifices but Trump is a bored idiot who doesn't understand decorum so he keeps talking loudly.

You would think as a reality TV star he would be more aware of his public image but then he does stuff like shove other NATO heads, flip off the Italian PM, stupid overly aggressive handshakes, and is disrespectful at Arlington.

It's not that big of a deal but it's a slow news day. It also is just more evidence that Trump is a moron, like we needed any more. And that his aides are really terrible too, if they were competent they would have prepped him better and told him to be appropriately somber and respectful.

Either he's an idiot or he knows his base really, really well. It makes libs cry, gently caress the rest of the world, etc

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

PT6A posted:

Well, yeah, my point yesterday is that it's frustrating watching as an outsider as your president, who affects the fate of pretty much everyone in the world on some level, buffoons around, and America seems like it wants to evade responsibility for picking him. Yes, I know a lot of people disagree with Trump, and he certainly doesn't represent the opinions of all Americans, and it's very unfair to those who worked and continue to work against him, but it was just an expression of the frustration that foreigners feel while looking at America right now. The rest of the world has to put up with his nonsense now, with extremely little we can do about it, and a bunch of people are going #NotAllAmericans about it.

Some days, I remind myself that most Americans disagree with Trump, and he lost the popular vote, and a bunch of people are working against him, and it fills me with hope for the future and for the true spirit of America to re-emerge. Other days, particularly if I'm in a bad mood, I see this shaved ape running amok and it makes me want to yell "YOU loving IDIOTS! YOU DID THIS, ALL OF YOU, TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!" Yesterday was one of those days, sorry if it hurt your feelings.

You should probably take a break from this thread and think about how you want to articulate these feelings, to be perfectly honest. Your feelings of impotent frustration are neither limited by nor exclusive to your status as foreign, and you're basically describing the same thing most Americans in this very thread demonstrate on a daily basis. These are not issues of responsibility that you should ever reasonably pin on the people being hosed by it the hardest. These are certainly issues of culpability in American jurisprudence. Everyone knows Trump is bad, even when we disagree on how bad bad is. All things Russia aside, the fact that nothing has happened regarding the various ethical issues and the absolute disregard of the emoluments clause is reason enough to oust Cheeto Benito, but the fact of the matter is the public absolutely lacks the agency that democratic processes are supposed to endow to enforce the laws which, well, protect that same process. Just because poo poo's hosed doesn't make it anything less than counterproductive to poo poo on the people who are getting hosed. :shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
First thing when democrats take control again: make town halls mandatory, once a month :unsmigghh:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Captain Invictus posted:

You really shouldn't be all "sorry I hurt your feelings" or equate an active part of the country doing what they can to stop a coordinated undermining of the foundation of this country to a lovely twitter hashtag. It makes you look like a stupid poo poo.

You're missing the point. The #NotAllMen hashtag happened because a bunch of whiny men were upset that they were being "attacked" when feminists pointed out something like "men do a lot of rapes." And it's true: not all men are rapists -- and some even help feminist causes. But no one wants to hear about that poo poo, because it's less important than the real problem which is: we live in a rape culture, perpetuated largely by men, where most rapes are committed by men. I can't begin to imagine how scary it must be to actually be an American right now, especially if you're a minority, or undocumented, etc. But to those of us outside America, we see the government of your nation, duly elected according to your constitution, loving up the world. The world is becoming less safe on a geopolitical level, there is every chance less progress will be made on combatting climate change, trade is being affected, etc. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who are working against that, but sometimes the rest of us just look at the face of your country -- its democratically-elected government -- and we don't want to hear about how you, individually, don't like it either but it's totally not your fault.

And I meant what I said about being sorry about hurting people's feelings. I get how incredibly frustrating it must be to be represented by this destructive imbecile. All I would ask is that you, in return, consider how frustrating it is for me and all non-Americans to see your country and its government behave in this fashion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pellisworth posted:

It would be pretty sweet if he stood there talking poo poo during the flag lowering ceremony or changing of the guard or something and the soldier spun around on him all MISTER PRESIDENT, IT IS REQUESTED THAT A LEVEL OF SILENCE AND RESPECT IS MAINTAINED. ....SIR

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
poo poo, no one got my Tombstone reference.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Please go easy on PT6A, he has only recently moved out of the right wing political spectrum (by Canadian standards anyway) so there are still some tick in the system when he posts his thoughts. He does try though, and is getting better. :unsmith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pellisworth posted:

It's actually super obvious if you spend three seconds considering the context, which is on Memorial Day at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the national cemetery honoring American soldiers killed in wars.

No, it's not. If you look up Remembrance Day observances in Canada, which are essentially the exact same thing, you will see the crowd singing along with the anthem -- I checked, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. You will not see them tapping their chests with the beat, or swaying around doing the pee-pee dance, because that's disrespectful and oafish, but the act of singing the anthem is not considered disrespectful. Or do you think that we simply don't afford the same level of honour to our fallen soldiers that America does?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They shouldn't even let him pretend to respect soldiers after he said that poo poo about preferring ones who didn't get captured. That should have disqualified him from ever being allowed to speak in front of troops ever again but oh well, goldfish memories etc etc

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Data Graham posted:

It would be pretty sweet if he stood there talking poo poo during the flag lowering ceremony or changing of the guard or something and the soldier spun around on him all MISTER PRESIDENT, IT IS REQUESTED THAT A LEVEL OF SILENCE AND RESPECT IS MAINTAINED. ....SIR

The military love him. They cut him a lot of slack to be disrespectful that they wouldn't have tolerated with Obama. A guy you like can get away with a lot more than a guy you are barely tolerating.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BarbarianElephant posted:

The military love him. They cut him a lot of slack to be disrespectful that they wouldn't have tolerated with Obama. A guy you like can get away with a lot more than a guy you are barely tolerating.

I'd be curious to read some actual material on military feelings about Trump vs Obama.

And Air Force doesn't count. :colbert:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It is a trip working with dipshit republicans who every now and again assume I"m either libertarian or R too and are just pumped or respect trump enough to talk about the real issues - we should legalize MJ and that's "the only thing I don't agree with the president on, but he doesn't want to alienate the establishment by doing it because its the CONSERVATIVE thing to do". And then either me or someone says how "that could create a lot of jobs" and lo and behold, does the chorus start saying Yeah, business would boom with legalized weed up and down the age line enough to make me wonder if that's how you make at least one part of the R line crack. Try to force yourself into a room with Trump and make him tweet and talk about how Legalized Weed will make that trillion dollar GPD growth happen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Internet Kraken posted:

What tangible benefit do we actually get out of continuing the embargo? Shouldn't the SMART BUSINESSMAN president be the one trying to increase trade anyways?

Continuing the embargo is a pure ":argh: gently caress THE COMMIES :argh:" thing at this point. Full and open relations with Cuba would be more effective and there's plenty of rich people who'd love to try and turn Cuba in to a giant resort (again).

PT6A posted:

No, it's not. If you look up Remembrance Day observances in Canada, which are essentially the exact same thing, you will see the crowd singing along with the anthem -- I checked, just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. You will not see them tapping their chests with the beat, or swaying around doing the pee-pee dance, because that's disrespectful and oafish, but the act of singing the anthem is not considered disrespectful. Or do you think that we simply don't afford the same level of honour to our fallen soldiers that America does?

Please post video of Canadian leaders singing along at memorial services that have an air of seriousness. Trump isn't some random white trash rear end in a top hat(s) in the crowd singing along. He's our retarded POTUS and lip-syncing while swaying and tapping his chest like a bored child is not the proper action to take there. "I'm not from the US" isn't an excuse. Anyone with an ounce of awareness can look and realize "hey nobody else is doing that stupid thing. They're all solemn and serious, not acting like a child."

His stupid poo poo shouldn't be excused or normalized, even if it is nothing compared to his Russia poo poo.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Invictus posted:

First thing when democrats take control again: make town halls mandatory, once a month :unsmigghh:

Because doing them worked out so much in favor of Dems in 2010.

Town Halls are a great way of getting people to get pissed off and yell at whoever is currently in charge for everything thats wrong. Don't for a second think that this is somehow America waking up to how lovely Republicans are.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 30, 2017

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

They shouldn't even let him pretend to respect soldiers after he said that poo poo about preferring ones who didn't get captured. That should have disqualified him from ever being allowed to speak in front of troops ever again but oh well, goldfish memories etc etc

also when he talked poo poo about the gold star Khan family

PT6A posted:

yeah that's totally the point I was trying to make, you got me

this has nothing to do with the specifics of singing vs. not singing the anthem in the US vs Canada, I'm not sure what your actual argument is

it's very simple, is anyone else singing the anthem in that clip? no

edit: and in particular, if you're the loving POTUS and on camera. Trump is a moron with little self-awareness and certainly not the tact and seriousness the President needs to have. That's been evident during his overseas trip too.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Listen, every single USA citizen deserves to be yelled at by anyone in a western democracy because it is the fault of each USA citizen that Trump is president and the USA controls the world all equally as individuals and sharing the blame with no one else.

If you deny this you're basically saying the USA can do no wrong.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

empty whippet box posted:

It makes extra sense when you consider how much the far right hates McCain.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd be curious to read some actual material on military feelings about Trump vs Obama.

And Air Force doesn't count. :colbert:

Good luck, most active servicemen try to be non-partisan. However, I have seen people on like, r/military talk poo poo about Trump. There was also that incident of some SEALs flying a Trump campaign flag that people thought meant we were under a military junta now. Like anyone I'm pretty sure they have mixed responses.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Rigel posted:

oh, poo poo. Luke Skywalker's not a fan of Trump

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/869290423369453569

Lol, what the hell is this supposed to mean?

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/869291067157479424

It kinda looks like she's defending trump here, which is hilarious.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/869004196103716868
https://twitter.com/Lindzeta/status/869006430128529408

Amazing.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

nerdz posted:

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/869291067157479424

It kinda looks like she's defending trump here, which is hilarious.

This is the reference

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
feeling bad for all the Americans who don't read canpol and haven't had PT6A on ignore for 4 years.

this memorial day is for you *hangs head*

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afam2nIae4o

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

These kids own.

I also feel old for not have an Instagram.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

RevKrule posted:

This is the reference

quote:

Is having daughters the ultimate cuckoldry?

I cannot think or comprehend of anything more cucked than having a daughter. Honestly, think about it rationally. You are feeding, clothing, raising and rearing a girl for at least 18 years solely so she can go and support the man who publicly disparaged you. All the hard work you put into your beautiful little girl - reading her stories at bedtime, making her go to sports practice, making sure she had a healthy diet, educating her, playing with her. All of it has one simple result: She will openly shill for Donald Trump. I find this to be very concerning, if true.

As a man who has a daughter, you are LITERALLY dedicating at least 20 years of your life simply to raise a girl for another man to enjoy. It is the ULTIMATE AND FINAL cuck. Think about it logically

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Yesss...teenagers doing what they do best, and with a purpose! I hope this reaches a fever pitch so Ryan has to explain why destroying the futures of children is a good idea.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Trabisnikof posted:

Listen, every single USA citizen deserves to be yelled at by anyone in a western democracy because it is the fault of each USA citizen that Trump is president and the USA controls the world all equally as individuals and sharing the blame with no one else.

If you deny this you're basically saying the USA can do no wrong.

Scream at me all you want, but what exactly am I supposed to do that I'm not already doing by constantly making GBS threads on agent orange every opportunity I can, contacting my local representatives and trashing political signs that are still up about Trump?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

New Republican party platform: abortions are legal if it grows a vagina.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

nerdz posted:

Frog emoji and Soup emoji... Unless she's talking about that scene in Empire Strikes Back when Yoda served Mark Hamill some soup, which doesn't seem relevant to this topic, I'm I have no idea what she's trying to say.

Edit:

RevKrule posted:

This is the reference

Ohhhh, it's a cup of tea. I sort of forgot that the entire Republican platform is memes now, mostly frog-based. To be fair, reality is a bit too stupid these days for me to keep track.

gently caress it, I'm sticking with my interpretation. She's saying "Hey, remember that scene from Empire where Yoda fed you? I liked that." That's still less dumb than what she meant.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 30, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PT6A posted:

And I meant what I said about being sorry about hurting people's feelings. I get how incredibly frustrating it must be to be represented by this destructive imbecile. All I would ask is that you, in return, consider how frustrating it is for me and all non-Americans to see your country and its government behave in this fashion.
I understand your reasoning, I do. The problem being is people are looking at this from a surface perspective and not a multi-decade effort to weaken democratic power around the globe. It's not just a democratically elected thing, that's missing the main problem with last election. It involved a MASSIVE misinformation campaign unseen perhaps ever, it involved direct manipulation by a foreign power using the internet in ways it has never been used before on such a scale. Combined with an only decent democrat candidate and it's much easier to see how the election turned out the way it did. I don't want to get into a hillary would've won discussion, but rather pointing out that it's not JUST that people liked trump. There was an incredible amount of fuckery going on behind the scenes, and thats not even covering systematic voter suppression. Trump and his cronies being the bumblingest bunch of idiots now is greatly helping in exposing that.

Also, I wouldn't count out actual vote rigging. Did anything ever come of that study on a certain type of voting machine that showed a distinct pattern in trump vote increases? I recall they said they needed to test a lot more before making any official statements.

Fulchrum posted:

Because doing them worked out so much in favor of Dems in 2010.

Town Halls are a great way of getting people to get pissed off and yell at whoever is currently in charge for everything thats wrong. Don't for a second think that this is somehow America waking up to how lovely Republicans are.
Oh I just want republican officials to suffer for their lovely, corrupt politics. Them being able to opt out of town halls is bullshit. Face your constituents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Wow Meghan McCain is pretty hot. :swoon:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread