Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

poptart_fairy posted:

I made the mistake of telling my team I had the car keys. Jason was quite uh, persistent after that.

Unironic answer, actually? Drop them as close to the car as possible, run a few cabins over, and when things are looking bad, tell Jason you dropped them two minutes ago by radioing it to your team (or pretending to)

The first thing is what you should be doing anyway unless you are actively on your way to the car to put the keys in the ignition. Nobody wants to find whatever nook or cranny you died in, the second is what will cause the Jason player to go "oh poo poo." and leave you alone at the last moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can drop stuff?

And cheers for the answer on the mic stuff. Most of the game feels fairly intuitive. Slowly coming to the understanding that it's less about surviving and more about surviving longer than anyone else. Once Jason's got me in my sights I don't last long - although I did hide in a cupboard and clock him with a shotgun just as he broke in.

"SURPRISE, FUCKER"

:haw:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

You can drop stuff?

And cheers for the answer on the mic stuff. Most of the game feels fairly intuitive. Slowly coming to the understanding that it's less about surviving and more about surviving longer than anyone else. Once Jason's got me in my sights I don't last long - although I did hide in a cupboard and clock him with a shotgun just as he broke in.

"SURPRISE, FUCKER"

:haw:

To drop an inventory item, highlight it by pressing 1-3 (wherever it is) and tap z. To drop a larger item, like your held weapon, the jerrycan, or the battery, hold z.

Be aware that for useable inventory items like first aid spray, pressing it to highlight it will use the drat thing immediately. So don't take usables with the intention of dropping them for someone else; just leave 'em where they lie. This is triple true for static item spawns like sprays in bathrooms. Bathrooms are where experienced survivors look if they're hurt and need a patch-up. Don't steal them if you don't need one.

You're correct about the overall goal. Surviving is great and you should do it whenever possible, but the game has enough agency for the survivors that you can write a really great story most times you're under fire. As you play more you'll get more used to the strong things a survivor can do and the stories will get longer, and you can always take solace in wasting a lot of Jason's time, if nothing else.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just had a round at Packanack Lodge.

2 seater car outside. Gas in it.

Me: "Guys, I have the battery. If you have keys get to the big green lodge!"

*all 7 campers and Jason show up at the 2 door car simultaneously*

Jason: "HOLY poo poo IT'S A loving BUFFET!"

*cue 2 people in car running over 2 people*

*Jason kills 2 playing musical chairs trying to open the back doors that don't open*

*I run like hell and he shifts right on top of me, crushing my head*

*car gets away*

Match ends after 4 minutes as car gets away.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think the mouse wheel can scroll through items without using them.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
GOON TALE THE GOONING

So this is one hell of an adventure ole Burk found himself in.

First and foremost, Chubs McKenzie is the worst character. Just, worthless. His stealth isn't the highest, he can't run for poo poo, he tires out super quick, and he's more skittish than a fainting goat. So much worse than Vanessa, who can at least distract Jason longer then five seconds by running the gently caress away. Thankfully I only rolled Chubs once.

See one thing I like to do is play random- random people, random Jasons, whatever. Play what I get. I get a Chad I be a The Chad. I get hide and seek king, I do my thing. I get muscles mcgoo, I try to get into fights with Jason unless something far more hilarious presents itself.

Which brings us to our first side story on that one. I picked up Muscles and hung out with a Chubs, I think it was Composer in fact. I felt kind of bad about it because I was giving him away every which a were, but then I got a call over the radio that the boat was fixed and ready to go from Psygonis. So I think, okay, I'm good at running, let's do this poo poo. I book it. Some one else is on the way, I THINK it was Weekly. I keep stopping just to get a burst of speed and beat him there. He's playing JonTron, so I out pace him quickly. I feel real bad about it as we peel out on the boat, Weekly watching from the docks.

Jokes on us because then SD shows up and flips the boat and kills us. So that was karma.

Few more rounds go on, I die in a few different ways. Nothing too spectacular this time around

And then I roll Chubs McKenzie.

Oh how the Angels sang. I was the fattest piece of poo poo you've ever seen. I started out with Psygonis again, frequent partner in crime of him getting to witness my bullshit. Early on, I find a pocket knife, but I specifically drop it for him to have. I had a flare gun I think, but it doesn't matter because I lost it soon there after. So I'm a awful lovely fat man with no items, no weapons, and we learn the car is ready to go. So Psygonis gets in and starts it up and I plant my giant rear end in the passenger seat.

A whole lot of poo poo goes down from here. SD is shouting at Psygonis, Psygonis is trying to figure out where to go, Composer is Jason and keeps loving with where we CAN go, we had another dude with us in the car at that point but he bailed, and Cath basically committed suicide by throwing himself behind the car on the bridge as we were backing up.

We end up RIGHT where we started when Jason smashes the car. I stay seated while everyone else bails.

From this point on, Psygonis and SD are running around the car, frantically fighting off Jason, while Chubs McKenzie sits his fat rear end in the passenger seat and refuses to move. They circle the car like five times. Jason reaches for me, I get out briefly, run as far as I can, which isn't any far at all, and get back in the goddamn car.

More frantic fighting around the car breaks out as I just sit my rear end down in the passenger side- Jason tries to grab me twice, I get saved both times by Psy and SD. And I keep throwing myself back into the car. Psy gets grabbed but has that pocket knife, so he gets away, SD gets in and starts driving. We make it just past the bridge but at this point our vision is poo poo. We get out briefly and I get slashed some, but instead of doing anything to help I just park my giant rear end in the back seat this time, and SD manages to get back in the car while Psy sacrifices himself. The entire rest of the trip is spent shouting abotu where we're going because all we could see was black and white, the mini map was gone, and SD was going purely by the main map so he couldn't see a drat thing anyways. Also, Tommy pops up to help us out and we run his rear end over. It was Weekly, making me feel extra worse.

We make it out alive.

The last guy alive after that titanic bit of fuckery as Composer slaughters the others that we didn't kill in our escape is another Chubs McKenzie. He's running around the forest, goes swimming, goes to the island- and Jason never found him. Composer could not see the guy. He was completely dark.

Chubs wins!

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Just played my first game. Went terribly but it was fun. I'll have to hop in some goon games on PS4.

There was one counselor that looked to be invincible? He hid for the first 15 minutes of the game, walked outside and Jason could not damage him despite swinging. The Jason was cussing up a storm about it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh god, buggsy and jason running around a dinner table while vanessa walks slowly through the woods covered in blood. I love spectating.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did someone make a scoring table for what Jason can do? I want to hit 1900.
I drop traps outside open windows but they never fall for it. I am at 0% success and I think I would rather drop traps elsewhere.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did someone make a scoring table for what Jason can do? I want to hit 1900.
I drop traps outside open windows but they never fall for it. I am at 0% success and I think I would rather drop traps elsewhere.

Trap the door, break the door, go around to a window, they'll dart for the open door.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I like to imagine all the counselors are angry, belligerent drunks seeing how many of them poo poo talk Jason even as he's killing them

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Pandanaut posted:

Just played my first game. Went terribly but it was fun. I'll have to hop in some goon games on PS4.

There was one counselor that looked to be invincible? He hid for the first 15 minutes of the game, walked outside and Jason could not damage him despite swinging. The Jason was cussing up a storm about it.

somewhat similar question: do you get the screen distortion shift effect if Jason morphs in close to you? I've seen this happen a couple of times <60 seconds into the game and it seems really hinky at times.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Pandanaut posted:

It's a bug - coming out of a hiding spot like bed/cabinet triggers it. Jason can still hit them with throwing knives, apparently, even if he can't grab/swing his weapon at them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Coolguye posted:

somewhat similar question: do you get the screen distortion shift effect if Jason morphs in close to you? I've seen this happen a couple of times <60 seconds into the game and it seems really hinky at times.
You get it any time his icon is on your screen when he travels. Really distracting.

I spawned at the death area last game when he knocked the power out to a cabin. Just seeing this lumbering guy walk across outside while you are quiet in the darkness. Spooky.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So am I correct in assuming that there's the possibility for "unwinnable" states for the counselors, i.e. there's no way to escape unless you survive the full 20 minutes (which is too long and they should make it 10 or 15)? My group and I spent nearly half the match once just looking to the keys for a car and there was literally nothing. There also seems to be times where the prop for the boat is gone or none of us have seen the CB Radio or phone, or even the fuse to fix it.

Is this a thing? I hope that I'm wrong but the game gets kinda frustrating when completing your objective comes down to luck. I don't mind a good Jason wiping everyone out because he's good, but I don't like when a Jason wins just by the fact that 20 minutes is too long for him to hunt everyone down and it's easy as piss because certain items are nowhere to be found.

Unless all of those times some rear end in a top hat had it and just died in the woods with it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh god, accidentally walked into Jason's cabin for the first time. :stonk:

Also, first Jason round was 4/8. Would've been 6/8 but I didn't notice they'd called the police until it was too late, and when I did I got stuck in a constant loop of being shot, sitting up and then being shot again. Seemed pretty janky as I wasn't able to shift away from the police or anything.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

s.i.r.e. posted:

So am I correct in assuming that there's the possibility for "unwinnable" states for the counselors, i.e. there's no way to escape unless you survive the full 20 minutes (which is too long and they should make it 10 or 15)? My group and I spent nearly half the match once just looking to the keys for a car and there was literally nothing. There also seems to be times where the prop for the boat is gone or none of us have seen the CB Radio or phone, or even the fuse to fix it.

Is this a thing? I hope that I'm wrong but the game gets kinda frustrating when completing your objective comes down to luck. I don't mind a good Jason wiping everyone out because he's good, but I don't like when a Jason wins just by the fact that 20 minutes is too long for him to hunt everyone down and it's easy as piss because certain items are nowhere to be found.

Unless all of those times some rear end in a top hat had it and just died in the woods with it.

Nine times out of ten it's because someone took it then got themselves horribly murdered.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ten out of ten. The parts you need can be uncomfortably far from their destination but they are never simply absent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I played a few games with a Twitch streamer who tended to scream whenever she was in trouble, so I got to entertain the ~6 people watching her channel.

During one game all the counselors stuck together to try and maintain strength in numbers, so I killed two by waiting for their spacing to slightly widen and shifting in. I then decided to intentionally gently caress with them, like waiting until they were gathered on the shore and then sneaking into the water just so I could slowly walk from its depths and make them scatter.

Two of them got in the boat while another counselor sacrificed himself to hold me off, apparently forgetting that Jason can teleport. Cue me suddenly grabbing the boat right before they escape and yanking them both into the lake to drown.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Is there a contextual water pump Jason kill? I saw a water pump and just assumed

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Lastdancer posted:

Is there a contextual water pump Jason kill? I saw a water pump and just assumed

Yep.

It's ok. It's no toilet or coat rack or fireplace, though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Yep.

It's ok. It's no toilet or coat rack or fireplace, though.

Or folding chair. Edit:Sadly,not THAT kind of folding chair. I'm talking about the white chairs I've seen around Packanack.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 30, 2017

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Just had two matches in a row where I immediately found the propeller and gas and left solo within the first 5 minutes. 2nd time people in dead chat were laughing when they realized I had booked it twice in a row. Sadly I had no mic so I didn't have a way to let people know the boat was ready.

I love how laid back the community is. Stark contrast to DbD. I think most counselors are resigned that they will die so might as well have fun and try to see how far they can get. It also helps that even it you do nothing but get chased by Jason you're still helping by keeping him off others.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So I had a bit of a problem trying to escape in the car recently.

It flipped completely over shortly after. Even Jason was baffled.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Red Mundus posted:

Just had two matches in a row where I immediately found the propeller and gas and left solo within the first 5 minutes. 2nd time people in dead chat were laughing when they realized I had booked it twice in a row.

If you're being a dildo that leaves people behind and you're not playing as Chad you're doing it all wrong. :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

chitoryu12 posted:

So I had a bit of a problem trying to escape in the car recently.

It flipped completely over shortly after. Even Jason was baffled.

This happened to us yesterday on Crystal Lake and I let the counselors go for a while because I felt so bad about laying them out thanks to a bug.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This is fun, but getting into a game on the Xbox is a pain in the rear end.

Add me at LazyVisionary.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

If you're being a dildo that leaves people behind and you're not playing as Chad you're doing it all wrong. :colbert:

Can't recall who it was, but thanks to the goon that sacrificed himself fighting Jason so the two of us could escape in the two-seater car. I made up for it later by filling up the four-seater with all the remaining survivors and booking it.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Chad literally has a perk that makes the car faster if you're the only one in it. Always abandon people as Chad his entire purpose is to be a lucky rear end in a top hat who saves his own skin. If you aren't being a smarmy self serving Chad you're loving it up. Make sure to brag about your parents wealth and refer to yourself in third person over voice chat if you are Chad

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 30, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Coolguye posted:

Ten out of ten. The parts you need can be uncomfortably far from their destination but they are never simply absent.

Are you sure? What about the case for 2 cars, are there two of everything to get both working?

Two things I think should change:

1. There needs to be a limit on how fast Jason can recover when it comes to the QTE's, I'm pretty fast at mashing the key and Jason's basically already getting himself up off the ground as soon as he hits the ground, even when I play Jason it's ridiculous and makes shooting him kinda pointless. Someone shot me, immediately got into a car to start it up and I was able to recover from the shot and pull him out of the window before the engine started, it was dumb.

2. Jason should have a cooldown on his grab, it's too easy to constantly go for grabs and considering it's almost always a guaranteed kill there's no reason to do melee attacks since it's always the worse option. There should also be a long-rear end cooldown if he does manage to kill via a grab move.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Chad literally has a perk that makes the car faster if you're the only one in it. Always abandon people as Chad his entire purpose is to be a lucky rear end in a top hat who saves his own skin. If you aren't being a smarmy self serving Chad you're loving it up. Make sure to brag about your parents wealth and refer to yourself in third person over voice chat if you are Chad
A specific character perk? I have one that everyone can use.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think all perks are universal for the counselors.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Thankfully perks are universal for all of the counselors, same with the non-weapon Jason kills.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oh really? I thought it wasn't! Still it should only be used with Chad :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Scalding Coffee posted:

A specific character perk? I have one that everyone can use.

I didn't think male characters could have "My Daddy is a Cop"

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007
Honestly, private matches only was amazing for Xbox one, it encourages good behavior. I've "befriended" more people in a weekend than in the entirety of having an account. I won't go to quick match when it is fixed.

The game is rough, but I've had a ridiculous amount of fun.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I think all perks are universal for the counselors.

That's not quite true. I've got a perk for AJ ("Psychic") that doesn't seem to appear on any other counselor. At least, none of the ones I have access to.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005
If there's one survivor left and they're not leaving any noise pings, check the campsites first. Some players love to hide there and wait out the clock because they think they're safe :unsmigghh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea some perks are councilor specific..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Olesh posted:

That's not quite true. I've got a perk for AJ ("Psychic") that doesn't seem to appear on any other counselor. At least, none of the ones I have access to.

Is that the perk where you start with a walkie talkie? I've got it on Jenny. Don't think its working right now cause when it did work earlier I would see the icon in the upper left corner.

• Locked thread