Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Should have been able to buy leis which would unlock a costume in the metaverse that would be your normal outfit + leis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

It was good enough for the loading screen, dammit!

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

precision posted:

It's so weird when Japan's extreme conservatism shows up in games like this. Like OH NO THERE ARE ONLY TWO FULL SIZE BEDS SURELY A BOY AND GIRL COULDN'T JUST SLEEP IN THEIR CLOTHES IN THE SAME BED or OH NO TWO GUYS CAN'T SHARE A BED

Like holy poo poo you guys, I was in high school a lot longer ago than this game and let me tell you about drama club field trips

I think that has more to do with a) The writers of the Persona series are a bunch of old guys whose own high school experiences are a bit outdated, and b) characters' reactions being exaggerated for the sake of comedy - another example being the hot springs scenes in 3 and 4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

I think that has more to do with a) The writers of the Persona series are a bunch of old guys whose own high school experiences are a bit outdated, and b) characters' reactions being exaggerated for the sake of comedy - another example being the hot springs scenes in 3 and 4.
nope, sorry, persona 5 is a pitch perfect recreation of japanese life down to the exact detail. i know when i went to shinjuku there were DEFINITELY guys in hawaiian shirts hitting on high school boys.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
The game actually helped me get around on the Metro a bit easier during a vacation to Tokyo :toot:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kay Kessler posted:

I'm probably older than the writers!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

nope, sorry, persona 5 is a pitch perfect recreation of japanese life down to the exact detail. i know when i went to shinjuku there were DEFINITELY guys in hawaiian shirts hitting on high school boys.
Please don't dox me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

Ryuji's in a different homeroom.

I didn't realize this and in my small HS we could be roommates with anyone else as long as they were in the same grade :shrug:

precision posted:

It's so weird when Japan's extreme conservatism shows up in games like this. Like OH NO THERE ARE ONLY TWO FULL SIZE BEDS SURELY A BOY AND GIRL COULDN'T JUST SLEEP IN THEIR CLOTHES IN THE SAME BED or OH NO TWO GUYS CAN'T SHARE A BED

I felt bad once I realized I didn't have a spare futon for Yusuke during the sleepover but now I know why I can't have nice things because of JAPAN :mad:

Also, Ryuji's roommate invites his GF over to the room and teachers aren't patrolling the entire hotel floor doing room checks? How unrealistic.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I love how during the sleepover immediately after the scene of Mishima having diarrhea it cuts to the evil SIU director laughing. Like I expected him to start talking about how he was the one responsible for it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
We def did not have room checks when I was in high school like four years ago, that's for sure. So all your friends just swapping rooms later cause it's getting heated was very realistic

Endorph posted:

i grew up in the conservative part of virginia and lemme tell you, my field trips were definitely like that.
I grew up in conservative north carolina and my class trips were "Four boys in a room with two queen beds" and maybe because i'm younger than most, or my friend group was chill, but it was an easy "Just sleep in the bed with your friend, whatever dog. you don't snore like my girlfriend does, love sleeping w/ u bro"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My senior trip a decade ago had them put duct tape on the outside of our doors. Only way you could room swap was if you got lucky and your neighbors in the attached room were cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

i have to imagine the beach trip with futaba and the hawaii thing were originally one thing, until they made the decision that futaba would be a dropout and then they had this bizarre collection of anime FMVs that they had to get some use out of.

It's pretty funny how it's always around the fully animated cutscenes you can tell the plot's having trouble trying to tie stuff together.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

We def did not have room checks when I was in high school like four years ago, that's for sure. So all your friends just swapping rooms later cause it's getting heated was very realistic

I grew up in conservative north carolina and my class trips were "Four boys in a room with two queen beds" and maybe because i'm younger than most, or my friend group was chill, but it was an easy "Just sleep in the bed with your friend, whatever dog. you don't snore like my girlfriend does, love sleeping w/ u bro"

I graduated approx 8 years ago so time may have changed in the last few yrs. Also, we didn't have overnight trips in HS at all :v:

FWIW: I went to a very small school in the Northeast and admin was a bit paranoid so we're all overscheduled with zero free time unless you count group activities/meals. I mean, you could date people in the grade but why would you lol since once you broke up you're going to see them in 80% of your classes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's pretty funny how it's always around the fully animated cutscenes you can tell the plot's having trouble trying to tie stuff together.

my favorite thing is how the characters always tell joker not to wear his glasses when an animated cutscene is coming up

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

my favorite thing is how the characters always tell joker not to wear his glasses when an animated cutscene is coming up

Or tell him to wear a different uniform.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

loving TAKE SOMEONE HOSTAGE GOD drat IT

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally finished, True Ending and all. The cool part is I didn't have to look at a guide to get it. It just naturally flowed from the story. I guess they learned their lesson after P4's convoluted fuckery.

It was definitely the best of the new-gen Persona games, but there was something they did in P3 and P4 which they didn't do here that I missed. Specifically, the month of the general populace freaking the gently caress out over the encroachment of the other world. Watching the steady decline of those random no-name NPCs you've been talking to throughout the game really drove home the existential shitstorm that was about to go down. The huge jump in Apathy Syndrome and the spreading of the Fog were pretty jarring from a story telling perspective. But, in this game, it all happens over a single day and a couple cut scenes. And you only get to see it if you go for the true ending.

It was pretty baller that you're actually acknowledged by the populace for your deeds. Though, I guess it fits the motif of the game better.

Now, to go back to my last save, try to grind out those top level persona and re-beat the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Finally finished, True Ending and all. The cool part is I didn't have to look at a guide to get it. It just naturally flowed from the story. I guess they learned their lesson after P4's convoluted fuckery.

It was definitely the best of the new-gen Persona games, but there was something they did in P3 and P4 which they didn't do here that I missed. Specifically, the month of the general populace freaking the gently caress out over the encroachment of the other world. Watching the steady decline of those random no-name NPCs you've been talking to throughout the game really drove home the existential shitstorm that was about to go down. The huge jump in Apathy Syndrome and the spreading of the Fog were pretty jarring from a story telling perspective. But, in this game, it all happens over a single day and a couple cut scenes. And you only get to see it if you go for the true ending.

It was pretty baller that you're actually acknowledged by the populace for your deeds. Though, I guess it fits the motif of the game better.

Now, to go back to my last save, try to grind out those top level persona and re-beat the game.

All that still happens though. Through the website poll constantly decreasing even after the Phantom Thieves big comeback and all those scenes you get with the public talking about how they still want Shido for president despite him confessing. If anything I thought they could have done with focusing on it a little less.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

All that still happens though. Through the website poll constantly decreasing even after the Phantom Thieves big comeback and all those scenes you get with the public talking about how they still want Shido for president despite him confessing. If anything I thought they could have done with focusing on it a little less.

I mean, I guess you could make the argument that it was a little more subtle this time around. Or that the real low point isn't the existential crisis but more your character having to lay low due to Shido's influence. But, it wasn't really the same thing.

What you're describing only happens over a week, assuming you beat the palace near the end of your window. And, the supernatural involvement isn't made clear until you ball up and head into the depths of Mementos, find the grail, get owned by it, see Mementos fuse with the real world, vanish, uncover fake Igor, reunite with your friends, climb the bone bridges, and defeat the evil god which all happens is the same day. There's really no build-up. :/

What I was expecting was a couple weeks of "daily life" after you get owned by the grail just to let the threat sink in and to give you a chance to prepare. I never beat the reaper because I thought I would have a chance to grind a bit in the depths and get some level 80+ persona before fighting him. I ended up nuking the last boss at level 73.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Len posted:

The principal was The Kingpin only in a mustard colored outfit.

I saw an over the hill Juggernaut

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Forgot how funny these games can be. "Time to button mash!" "Meow owowowoowwow!"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chaosapiant posted:

Forgot how funny these games can be. "Time to button mash!" "Meow owowowoowwow!"

I expected to get in way more trouble when I selected that option.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
https://twitter.com/fijiblues/status/869171476481675264

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 30, 2017

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'm 90 hours in and about to finish the 4th dungeon. (I know, I'm really slow. I just get sidetracked exploring, eavesdropping on all the NPCs, experimenting with fusions and grinding for stuff I really want... like saving up for a full set of Takemi's SP adhesives early in the second dungeon... only to find out shortly afterwards that Yoshida trivializes the money grind.)

Anyway, my question is... without any spoilers at all, how far away am I from completing the game?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You're barely halfway.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Sophism posted:

I'm 90 hours in and about to finish the 4th dungeon.

Wha...have you left the game on overnight or something? Dungeon 4 is halfway in and it usually takes 90-100 hours to finish.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sophism posted:

I'm 90 hours in and about to finish the 4th dungeon. (I know, I'm really slow. I just get sidetracked exploring, eavesdropping on all the NPCs, experimenting with fusions and grinding for stuff I really want... like saving up for a full set of Takemi's SP adhesives early in the second dungeon... only to find out shortly afterwards that Yoshida trivializes the money grind.)

Anyway, my question is... without any spoilers at all, how far away am I from completing the game?

About 100 more hours or so if you keep at your current pace.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
I'd wager that a good 30 hours of that were grinding needlessly right before things that trivialize money gain unlocked, trying to be a completionist with fusions without using a fusion calculator and roaming around the city talking to every flavor NPC.

From dungeon 3 onwards, after getting Takemi's adhesives for the whole party, amassing enough money to be able to afford whatever I want, and using a fusion calcuIator to make my life easier, I've been progressing waaay faster.

That said, I'm tempted to bump up the difficulty from Hard to Merciless, because that early grind put me at lvl 35 by the end of the 4th dungeon.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
oh yeah i forgot that i completed the compendium a week or two ago. lmao those two final treasure demons are stupid to get, but at least one of them has some very, very good passive skills that I shall treasure

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The amazing thing about the Persona games to me is how newer games make older games look like prototypes. Aside from CDPR you don't often see developers constantly one upping themselves. I thought P4G was the pinnacle of the series and now it's hard to get back into. And so on, even more for the older games.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sophism posted:

I'd wager that a good 30 hours of that were grinding needlessly right before things that trivialize money gain unlocked, trying to be a completionist with fusions without using a fusion calculator and roaming around the city talking to every flavor NPC.

From dungeon 3 onwards, after getting Takemi's adhesives for the whole party, amassing enough money to be able to afford whatever I want, and using a fusion calcuIator to make my life easier, I've been progressing waaay faster.

I always save all the exploration in NG+ where I feel less stressed out and have plenty of free time b/t missions. I believe you're going to be the one outlier w/200 hrs into the 1st PT but hey, it's a good game.

chaosapiant posted:

The amazing thing about the Persona games to me is how newer games make older games look like prototypes. Aside from CDPR you don't often see developers constantly one upping themselves. I thought P4G was the pinnacle of the series and now it's hard to get back into. And so on, even more for the older games.

Persona> TW3

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alder posted:

I always save all the exploration in NG+ where I feel less stressed out and have plenty of free time b/t missions. I believe you're going to be the one outlier w/200 hrs into the 1st PT but hey, it's a good game.

Persona> TW3

Too far for me, TW3 is my all time fave game. But both games are the pinnacles of their respective genres and put everyone else to shame.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Ha ha ha, I just noticed the time limit banner for the final dungeon.

Days until rearrest: FEW

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You really don't need the SP Adhesives until at least palace 5. Source: I beat up to palace 4 in 2 days per palace with absolutely no trouble at all before I even knew she sold them. Had to use some soda SP drinks but that's it. Just make sure you don't have Joker always Do The Thing.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Sophism posted:

So was this before or after you reached rank 7 in the Death confidant? :v:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
This is my first ever Persona game, and my first ATLUS game, and I got it on the strength of the visuals and good word of mouth - It reminded me of a slightly more mature The World Ends With You, and I was enamored with that game when I was younger.

I'm currently up to Shido's Palace, and so far, I'm really enjoying the storyline, visuals and gameplay mechanics. There are a few moments that leave me scratching my head somewhat, such as how... Well, hollow my character's relationship feels. I romanced Tae, and it feels like once you reach Rank 10 it never really comes up again? It's been a couple of months since I saw her and no repercussions for that. I was sort of surprised that the incredibly cool No-Good Tora was texting me asking if I was okay post-'suicide' before my 2D waifu was.

This is a very minor complaint, though. Almost all the confidants are surprisingly touching, especially your teacher. There have been quite a few moments where the game has actually made me laugh out loud (usually something Ryuji or Futaba says or does), or moments where I felt frustration and empathy for their grievances (Morgana don't act like you weren't slinging poo poo at Ryuji, too), which has been more invested in the storyline in a game than I've felt since pretty much New Vegas.

Overall, I've been very impressed. This completely came out of left field for me, but a hugely enjoyable game. I just hope it manages to stick the landing, endgame wise. Guess I'll see!

One question is if there are things that I wouldn't get being unfamiliar with the Persona/SMT series. Carry over characters and such. Do you play as heart stealers every game, or are there recurring characters?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Clawtopsy posted:

Do you play as heart stealers every game

Yes, you can always lead on every girl in the game until the very last minute when you point at one and say "I choose you"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Clawtopsy posted:

This is my first ever Persona game, and my first ATLUS game, and I got it on the strength of the visuals and good word of mouth - It reminded me of a slightly more mature The World Ends With You, and I was enamored with that game when I was younger.

I'm currently up to Shido's Palace, and so far, I'm really enjoying the storyline, visuals and gameplay mechanics. There are a few moments that leave me scratching my head somewhat, such as how... Well, hollow my character's relationship feels. I romanced Tae, and it feels like once you reach Rank 10 it never really comes up again? It's been a couple of months since I saw her and no repercussions for that. I was sort of surprised that the incredibly cool No-Good Tora was texting me asking if I was okay post-'suicide' before my 2D waifu was.

This is a very minor complaint, though. Almost all the confidants are surprisingly touching, especially your teacher. There have been quite a few moments where the game has actually made me laugh out loud (usually something Ryuji or Futaba says or does), or moments where I felt frustration and empathy for their grievances (Morgana don't act like you weren't slinging poo poo at Ryuji, too), which has been more invested in the storyline in a game than I've felt since pretty much New Vegas.

Overall, I've been very impressed. This completely came out of left field for me, but a hugely enjoyable game. I just hope it manages to stick the landing, endgame wise. Guess I'll see!

One question is if there are things that I wouldn't get being unfamiliar with the Persona/SMT series. Carry over characters and such. Do you play as heart stealers every game, or are there recurring characters?

With the exception of almost all SMT spin offs having a commonly reused pool of demons/personas, most of the games are stand alone with the exception of a few call backs, but nothing major. There are two Persona 2 games, one being a sequel to the other. But SMT is more akin to Final Fantasy in the shadows/demons/personas and spell/item names have ties to each other, but not so much characters or plot elements. In other words, with the exception of the few games that have sequels such as Persona 2, SMT IV, and Digital Devil Saga, you don't need to play any other games to enjoy this one, and vice verse.

That being said, if you're enjoying this game, there are two recent ish games you should try: Persona 4 Golden and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

I hope this helps; welcome to one of the most stupidly addicting franchises!

Edit: If you're intersted in digging into the previous Persona titles, I recommend a PSTV (previously called Vita TV.) It's an awesome little system that is fairly cheap and supports most Vita game cartridges along with tons of downloadable PS One Classics and PSP games. You can own ALL of the previous Persona games in fact on this one system, and all the games are arguably the best versions: Persona 1 Portable, Persona 2: Innocent Sin PSP version, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment PSONE classic edition, Persona 3 Portable, and Persona 4 Golden. I think P3 and P4 are both worth playing if you liek P5. I'd play P3 first however, just so it's not as hard to get into. P4 does everything it does better, though some prefer the storyline/atmosphere of P3. Both are fantastic games, however.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

Romance in Persona games are never really a big deal or well-integrated into anything. It's kind of a shame especially in this game since the overall writing is super solid.

About the series as a whole though, if you're asking whether stealing hearts is the plot of every game then it's not. You play as completely different characters in different settings and stories every game, although a couple of the p4 spinoffs have characters from p3 and I imagine any p5 spinoff will do the same. Only regularly occurring characters outside of that are Igor and a bunch of Personas, not the party's ones though. Big gameplay differences between them too, p3-5 are pretty similar but other smt games will be rather different.