Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I know it's standard waffling politician speak, but am I the only one who finds May's "we've been very clear on this" really condescending? It's one thing to say "let me be clear" and then avoid the question, but when she says "we've been very clear on this" the implication is that whoever is asking just isn't smart enough to understand a simple answer. It seems like she is so used to saying it to Corbyn during PMQs that she forgot it's not a very good look to deploy against voters. But she said it a lot anyway, even during audience questions, since it's her favourite stalling line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

Cant't orb the Corb

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Just once I want a politician to start with 'Let me be clear-' and have it immediately interrupted with no, we will not let you be clear, we demand only the most obtuse and incomprehensible responses, we will settle for nothing less

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Scikar posted:

I know it's standard waffling politician speak, but am I the only one who finds May's "we've been very clear on this" really condescending? It's one thing to say "let me be clear" and then avoid the question, but when she says "we've been very clear on this" the implication is that whoever is asking just isn't smart enough to understand a simple answer. It seems like she is so used to saying it to Corbyn during PMQs that she forgot it's not a very good look to deploy against voters. But she said it a lot anyway, even during audience questions, since it's her favourite stalling line.

You're not the only one, that's the exact same crap I see when people (in my line of work) are trying to shut down a conversation with a client. The subtext being "I don't want this conversation to continue".

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Angepain posted:

Just once I want a politician to start with 'Let me be clear-' and have it immediately interrupted with no, we will not let you be clear, we demand only the most obtuse and incomprehensible responses, we will settle for nothing less

at which point Theresa May will rub her hands and yell "STRONG AND STABLE" for 10 minutes to a standing ovation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Let me be clear" is more annoying to me because it invariably is followed by something meaningless and unclear.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/869309659156492289

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Scikar posted:

I have this reaction to everything that's extremely obviously focus grouped. Like when Cameron and Osborne were suddenly on TV one evening repeating exactly the same phrases about "unelected lords".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Hey guys turns out Dan Hodges is kind of a oval office

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im going to troll you on twitter now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Kind of?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Im going to troll you on twitter now.

Oh no the social media platform I barely use, you monster

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Namtab posted:

Oh no the social media platform I barely use, you monster

well you best use it more as I've just followed you. I also have another 12 hour lock because I called Nick Robinson an "arse licking Tory oval office"

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TheRat posted:

I have this reaction to everything that's extremely obviously focus grouped. Like when Cameron and Osborne were suddenly on TV one evening repeating exactly the same phrases about "unelected lords".

The process is not about finding good arguments it is about finding the particular set of magic words that will burrow themselves into a half-listening viewer's skull. The end goal of all political campaign management is a ten-second series of guttural sounds that will trigger a complex subconscious mechanism rendering the listener powerless to do anything other than vote for the party at every possible election for the rest of their lives.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

well you best use it more as I've just followed you. I also have another 12 hour lock because I called Nick Robinson an "arse licking Tory oval office"

I'm going to use it less

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Namtab posted:

I'm going to use it less

monster

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

:psyduck:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Angepain posted:

The process is not about finding good arguments it is about finding the particular set of magic words that will burrow themselves into a half-listening viewer's skull. The end goal of all political campaign management is a ten-second series of guttural sounds that will trigger a complex subconscious mechanism rendering the listener powerless to do anything other than vote for the party at every possible election for the rest of their lives.

It's like how in Democracy the goal of elections is actually to get as close to being a one-party state as possible while still claiming you're a democracy so you have one up on russia for those arguments. If anyone actually cared about democracy they wouldn't jerrymander.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

spectralent posted:

It's like how in Democracy the goal of elections is actually to get as close to being a one-party state as possible while still claiming you're a democracy so you have one up on russia for those arguments. If anyone actually cared about democracy they wouldn't jerrymander.

The idea is to offer people a choice while rigging the system to make the choice as meaningless as possible.

Also I just got followed by a Steelers fan, which is unfortunate because the Vikings are the best.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Namtab posted:

The idea is to offer people a choice while rigging the system to make the choice as meaningless as possible.

Also I just got followed by a Steelers fan, which is unfortunate because the Vikings are the best.

That's me, and I feel obliged to remind you that if the Vikings apparent future prospect of a QB was a racehorse, he'd be dead already :colbert:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

dan hodges has been wrong about pretty much every major political decision of the last 5 years. no idea why people still humour him as some kind of astute commentator.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

That's me, and I feel obliged to remind you that if the Vikings apparent future prospect of a QB was a racehorse, he'd be dead already :colbert:

I knew it was you, because I only know one person who would post in here who would willingly be a Steelers fan

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah when I was looking for a team to follow I asked for the west ham of the nfl

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Namtab posted:

Yeah when I was looking for a team to follow I asked for the west ham of the nfl

I don't know enough about English football to make that connection, so I'll assume West Ham have a reputation for being decent until it matters then choking in hilarious/devastating fashion.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

thehappyprince posted:

dan hodges has been wrong about pretty much every major political decision of the last 5 years. no idea why people still humour him as some kind of astute commentator.

the fact that he went from being a new labour spin doctor to working for the mail should tell you all you need to know.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Did corbyn use the "Make June the End of May" line on TV?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How was he supposed to answer "Why have you made it impossible for me to vote Labour?", exactly

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
If he used that line himself, tomorrow's Sun would have a headline about Corbyn inciting people to kill the Prime Minister.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

https://twitter.com/sketchaganda/status/869301407513538567

that loving haircut too

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Oh dear, I once had someone comment that that style of hair "looked like they were wearing the tip of a penis".

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's called the public obscenity cut and it is, in fact, very metal

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Meanwhile, in Cardiff:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

corbyn did really well in the thing, should be worth a point or two

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

It's going to be so fun watching the media poo poo a brick if Corbyn wins

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

PISSFLAPS AND YOU

reply to pissflaps if you are capable of doing so like a normal person without whining about how much you can't stand pissflaps and his posting

if you are not capable of doing this, shut the gently caress up about pissflaps and do whatever it takes to not be bothered with him

i am going to start probing all parties in pissflaps-related derails and encourage posters itt to report those who cannot abide by this rule

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is bad for Jeremy Corbyn

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I hear Jezza did alright.

Also :lol: a specific 'Flaps rule. Imagine being such a good troll you get a rule made about banning other people for arguing with you. Masterful.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Yeah, he's good at what he does alright

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Noriega's dead. Eager to see the first articles suggesting Corbyn would be worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

thehappyprince posted:

He's hit that 'fossilisation' phase, where a formerly reasonably astute and open minded journalist freezes their thoughts and opinions at a certain point and becomes utterly unable to develop them any further, becoming increasingly bitter and uncomprehending as the rest of the world gradually moves on from them.

Notable examples of this include Dan Hodges, John Rentoul and Nick Cohen.

• Locked thread