Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

One question is if there are things that I wouldn't get being unfamiliar with the Persona/SMT series. Carry over characters and such. Do you play as heart stealers every game, or are there recurring characters?

Aside from direct sequels every game has a new cast. Being phantom thieves of hearts and all that is P5's thing, but P3 and 4 have the same style of gameplay and all of them deal with supernatural stuff relating to human psychology/collective unconscious/etc.

Rest of SMT is another thing entirely that generally includes more focused RPGs dealing with demons and poo poo loving up the world directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Examples:

SMT1: Demon kills your mom in the opening segment
SMT3: boot game, world ends

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Romance in Persona games are never really a big deal or well-integrated into anything. It's kind of a shame especially in this game since the overall writing is super solid.

Romance is always kinda just tacked on for the better or worse in all of P3/4/5 but at least you can befriend girls now :v:

I'm fine with romance to be less important because devs keep adding completely inappropriate LI like your teacher, doctor, and the random person at the bar. I always did forever alone in NG+ because by then I stopped caring unless I wanted to max all SL. Also, the ability of MC to be a blank slate means you can ship him with anyone at all or no one.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
tbh i probably will go for Haru on the replay as her ambient, absolutely psychotic dialogue from the Mementos has resulted in surprised laughter more than once

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

tbh i probably will go for Haru on the replay as her ambient, absolutely psychotic dialogue from the Mementos has resulted in surprised laughter more than once

Haru is my choice on NG+. She is a precious, sadistic angel. Also she can somehow snipe a glass panel with a grenade launcher in Palace 6

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/grandmarth/status/868663753646014464

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Are the black rock, black robe, etc that say "capable of transmutation" eventually going to be useful for anything?

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Item Getter posted:

Are the black rock, black robe, etc that say "capable of transmutation" eventually going to be useful for anything?

They are materials for "end-game" level armor and accessories, to be used with the Electric Chair. I put end-game in quotes because there is actually better gear to be had, but it's either one-per-play-through or random. The exception is the Model Gun item which is used for end-game weapons, and is the best you can make.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

How does... Fortune Telling Hippy Lady's reading of affinity work? Does it give me an automatic boost to selected Confidant's affinity, or does it boost the points received next time I do something they like? If the former, it seems like something I should be doing every day, as it doesn't consume a timeslot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I don't know exactly, but there have been many times where a Confidant's hangout would not have ranked up, but when I used Fortune, it turned into a rank-up hangout, so functionally it is the former. Though I didn't test to see if it would have reset the next day

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
If you're not currently close enough with a Confidant that hanging out with them will give you the next Rank Up, Chihaya's affinity reading will give you some points towards that, except the reading doesn't take any time. It's absurdly useful for getting as far as possible in as many confidants as possible without having to constantly look back and forth between your TV and a GameFAQS guide.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Did anyone get every S.Link maxed on their first playthrough without using a guide? Maybe it's because this is my first persona/jrpg or that I'm an idiot but I've reached October and some of these fuckers arent rankin up. Especially the fortune teller. Don't give a toss about her and she refuses to give up the rank.

I suppose I should just come to terms with the fact that I've gotta slum it in NG+. I got Makoto to 10 so I guess I should count this playthough a success.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

This is my first playthrough of a time-management style game like this, and I think I'm near the end.

I've only maxed out Ryuji, Doctor Tae, No-Good Tora and Maid Sensei, and the mandatory Sae. Everyone else is hovering around 5-8, and some are about 2-3 (Futuba, Sojiro, Haru). I haven't even met The Tower yet. I think they're the only one I'm missing.

I don't think I prioritized well to begin with.

e: I think next time I will work on maxing out Maid Sensei and Fortune Teller ASAP, as they seem to be the ones that free up the most time elsewhere?

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 30, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

This is my first playthrough of a time-management style game like this, and I think I'm near the end.

I've only maxed out Ryuji, Doctor Tae, No-Good Tora and Maid Sensei, and the mandatory Sae. Everyone else is hovering around 5-8, and some are about 2-3 (Futuba, Sojiro, Haru). I haven't even met The Tower yet. I think they're the only one I'm missing.

I don't think I prioritized well to begin with.

If you don't max Sojiro then you're missing out because he's my favourite confidant in the game. Or you could watch it on youtube which i'm sure exists by now.

Also, Tower has like 3 steps to start which are detailed in the OP, but you get him around September i'm pretty sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Tower starts mid to late September.

Becky is the best s.link and I'm not even talking about "for perverts" I mean she really has a great story

The script doesn't make it clear but is she supposed to be an actual prostitute maid or not? I assumed so because Japan but she says things later that made me think not. Also 5000 yen for a call girl is ridiculously cheap

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Apparently a bunch of people are hanging out with ryuji/ann today but I can't find either of them anywhere. It's raining by the way, does that affect where confidants go?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

precision posted:

Becky is the best s.link and I'm not even talking about "for perverts" I mean she really has a great story

The script doesn't make it clear but is she supposed to be an actual prostitute maid or not? I assumed so because Japan but she says things later that made me think not. Also 5000 yen for a call girl is ridiculously cheap

I think it's implied the maids offer "special massages" along with everything else. Becky closes that door as soon as you meet her, for obvious reasons.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 30, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
She also mentions a sister company that is very clearly just straight up prostitution rather than having a veneer of legitimacy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also is she supposed to be half American or is Becky just the Japanese maid version of Crystale?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Did anyone get every S.Link maxed on their first playthrough without using a guide?

I did, by the absolute closest possible margin - the last 3-4 time slots were exactly enough to finish out the last ones I were missing, it was straight to the endgame after the last hangout.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

precision posted:

Maybe? The MC is her main client, but if anyone else calls her it would have to be right after school since you can call her just about every evening. And if that's the case, it'd just be for regular, domestic maid duties. My best guess would be that she can perform those services, but no one has actually called her for it because of her age.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
My interpretation of Becky's job is that it's like a maid cafe but for household chores: super overpriced for what they actually do, but they're dressed in skimpy fetish clothes and talk cute and pretend to like their desperate clientele so creepy goons will pay out the nose for it. The joke of course is that Kawakami is very transparently bad at/fed up with the whole thing, hence her saying things like "Make sure your room's clean when I get there" so she doesn't have to do any actual work.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Becky's storyline antagonists clearly mention she's a sex worker. Just how close she is to actual prostitution is up to your imagination since she's purposely vague on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpazmasterX posted:

Becky's storyline antagonists clearly mention she's a sex worker. Just how close she is to actual prostitution is up to your imagination since she's purposely vague on it.

Yeah but the way it's translated makes it sound like that was something in the past, not currently ongoing

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Becky also straight up tells you she won't offer certain services because of your age. Earlier in the thread, someone said non-penetrative acts don't count as "sex" under Japanese law so heavy petting, lap dances, ect. aren't prostitution.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I assumed the initial services were like a rub and tug after a massage, and that when she mentions her boss offering her higher-paying work, that was full blown prostitution

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just started Palace 6 and still don't have my social stats maxed (all at 4)

Am I pretty much screwed from maxing stuff (I didn't even start hangman)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Me too, which is sort of why I'm looking forward to NG+ next. In the first run I learnt lots of stuff, like 'don't study in the library', 'fertilize your plant as often as possible', 'use the diner on rainy days', 'get a smoothie on sunday'. It actually felt good discovering these little tricks, and along with maxing out Temperence and Fortune ASAP, I think I will be able to do everything right next time around.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

If you didn't even start Hanged Man then forget about it. Just focus on maxing out the immediately useful stuff for NG+ (Fortune/Temperance/Tower/Moon/Sun[hope you finished that one already]) and max your social stats.

Also make sure you're checking your IMs and work the convenience store and flower shop a couple times when you're in NG+ or you'll miss out on a couple requests. You might as well do all those since you're doing all the confidants in one run as well.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Yeah, just focus on Maxing all the Confidants you can and finishing off your social stats. I'm actually a little bit jealous. Your NG+ will be less boring than mine.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah, it turns out even on Merciless that the first palace in NG+ takes like an hour, tops. You can still get killed if you leave yourself open because the increase in damage from crits and weaknesses is absurd, but the only Persona I needed was the Aresene with the three party auto-buffs I fused. Seeing as how all my social stats are maxed out, does anyone have a guide to the movies, games, and books available? Trying to Plat the game the same time I max out all the Confidants seems like a good way of keeping it interesting.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Did anyone get every S.Link maxed on their first playthrough without using a guide? Maybe it's because this is my first persona/jrpg or that I'm an idiot but I've reached October and some of these fuckers arent rankin up. Especially the fortune teller. Don't give a toss about her and she refuses to give up the rank.

I suppose I should just come to terms with the fact that I've gotta slum it in NG+. I got Makoto to 10 so I guess I should count this playthough a success.

Yeah, I pulled it off with about 14 days left. I totally missed the exp grinding tricks since I hadn't been looking stuff up though so I couldn't finish the compendium on the first playthrough though :(

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Tir McDohl posted:

Yeah, I pulled it off with about 14 days left. I totally missed the exp grinding tricks since I hadn't been looking stuff up though so I couldn't finish the compendium on the first playthrough though :(

I never used a guide, got all stats/confidants maxed and even had about a week to spare. Granted, I knew temperance/fortune were top priority before the start.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I will say I reloaded the gently caress out of the game when things didn't work the way I wanted and one time repeated 10 days to do them slightly more optimally :shepicide:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Clawtopsy posted:

How does... Fortune Telling Hippy Lady's reading of affinity work? Does it give me an automatic boost to selected Confidant's affinity, or does it boost the points received next time I do something they like? If the former, it seems like something I should be doing every day, as it doesn't consume a timeslot.

It's dropping points right into the Confidant score. You may have a chance to verify this if you go to her while one of the Confidant's is available and the card changes to "Up!" She also provides a dialogue signifier for this by saying "You should be able to deepen your relationship now."

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

"Do I really have a choice?" :confused:
"STRIP FOR HIM, ANN!!!!" :dance:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chaosapiant posted:

"Do I really have a choice?" :confused:
"STRIP FOR HIM, ANN!!!!" :dance:

It's way too hard to keep Joker as the kind character sometimes. That was definitely one of those times...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TaurusOxford posted:

It's way too hard to keep Joker as the kind character sometimes. That was definitely one of those times...

Ya this one and "time to button mash!" Had me playing Joker as "sarcastic Hawke."

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Do tarot ultimate persona stay unlocked in NG+?

Edit: And I guess, which ones of these are actually good?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If you haven't already registered them, you need to do the SL again to fuse them, including the story SLs (so if you're going for the max Compendium trophy, you won't be able to do it til the end of the game).

All the Strength recipes get unlocked as soon as the 2nd Palace, though.