Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SilverMike posted:

Re: Heroes it still looks very much like you need to level them as governors before you send them on fleet duties. I've been fighting a war @ 7-9 CP, had a level 3 hero in at least 5 proper battles with a bunch of killing, and he still hasn't levelled up.

Killing doesn't level up heroes for poo poo. Scanning down anomalies, either with their own probes or attached to a fleet with explorers, gives a ton of XP, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm looking for a game to play while Stellaris bakes a bit (lot) more, and I'm sure this point has be beaten to death over the last 50 pages but goddamn does this game look nice.

I've only watched the first walkthrough video in the OP, but I'm blown away. Stellaris presents everything though text boxes and little popups, ES2 goes full blown cinematic for events.

I'm going to give this one a try.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 30, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat I'm still having problems where you build a building and it does nothing. Endless research park is often a go-to early game "wonder" for me. I'm falling behind on science and running a dust loss so I threw all my influence into hurrying it up. Yet it does nothing, no bonuses, not even the temporary +25 happiness. Yet on previous 2 games it worked just fine, showed up in the tooltips when you check out production and such. I've heard other people complain that buildings will just randomly do nothing after you build them.

This game still has so many bugs. I don't want to be like the people raving on the forums about FULL REFUNDS and DECEPTIVE BUSINESS but I think it's really hosed up that this sort of behavior has become so normalized in PC gaming. (still better than stellaris though)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Just finished a game as Vodyani (I lost). But in the end, drat, seeker hero on my fleet was insane. Zipping around the galaxy in 2 turns is ridiculous.

But I had to turn off pirates because holy poo poo are they annoying. They spawn every other turn and are completely pointless just attacking your ark for no reason.

Also, so easy to get hosed by having no minor civilizations nearby early.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

This game still has so many bugs. I don't want to be like the people raving on the forums about FULL REFUNDS and DECEPTIVE BUSINESS but I think it's really hosed up that this sort of behavior has become so normalized in PC gaming. (still better than stellaris though)

I don't disagree about the bugs and normalization, but I give Amplitude a lot more latitude than most developers because they're a small studio, doing some very cool things, and they've been great about continuously fixing and expanding other titles for long after release.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, it was less buggy than this in the later stages of Early Access. The problems were almost all added in the big launch patch.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, on release and the week prior the game was fine for me, it's steadily gotten worse. Happiness bonuses aren't working anymore and tons of buildings that give bonuses based on happiness now are not being applied. There's tons of other big and small issues as well. The game's economy is complex enough without having to wonder if half the things you're building or researching will actually work.

Steam reviews have officially reached "mixed" average, that's gotta hurt. But most all the reviews are quite reasonable too, all people saying they want to love the game, want to recommend it, but it's just not enjoyable due to broken mechanics and technical issues. Most all saying they will be happy to adjust their review if Amplitude ever gets their poo poo together.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Amplitude does have a good track record overall. Wasn't Endless Legend really buggy when it was released?

When Endless Space 2 works right, it works well. Unfortunately right now with all the features they added and a much larger audience getting exposed to the game the game isn't as stable as it was in Early Access. But I'm sure they'll get it right.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I've only been playing for a few days, as the UE, and when I found out I could ship my population around between planets and systems I thought I'd stumbled onto a great way to rig an election, but it seems like the base political affiliation of each race doesn't actually mean anything?

I eventually realized that one of my systems that had no militarist races at all was still showing massive support for the militarist party, so I'm guessing when you fight battles or declare war it's like a global modifier for all your systems. I might try this, but if I had a system which had never built any military ships or buildings and had no militarist races would it actually show limited support for that party?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kalko posted:

I've only been playing for a few days, as the UE, and when I found out I could ship my population around between planets and systems I thought I'd stumbled onto a great way to rig an election, but it seems like the base political affiliation of each race doesn't actually mean anything?

I eventually realized that one of my systems that had no militarist races at all was still showing massive support for the militarist party, so I'm guessing when you fight battles or declare war it's like a global modifier for all your systems. I might try this, but if I had a system which had never built any military ships or buildings and had no militarist races would it actually show limited support for that party?

Also technology you research and buildings you build. If you build a lot of military defenses in a place, the people there will likely be more sensitive to military issues.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Kalko posted:

Your guess is correct. Every party has associated techs/buildings/actions that globally increase its support among your people.

Base affiliation actually means a lot, but it's more receptiveness to the above than outright affiliation. So Cravers for example get 2x influence from Military actions, and 1/2 influence from Pacifist.

Finally, Militarism seems overly weighted compared to other parties right now- if you're in a war at all, you tend to go hard Militarism, even if you've been doing something else for the last 50 turns.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Look, complain as I might, I will admit they patch more often then Firaxis.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

While I'm complimenting the game, can I say how neat it is that the "objective complete" sound is a sting from your faction's main theme? I like it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Speedball posted:

While I'm complimenting the game, can I say how neat it is that the "objective complete" sound is a sting from your faction's main theme? I like it.

The art, sound and UX design of these games is absurdly good by 4X standards - in Stellaris only the music is on par - and they make me forgive a lot.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I've been playing ES2 for a couple days now and I have a few questions. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on these:

I'm currently playing the Empire and my quest requires having 4 industrialist laws. I only have three law slots and like two possible industrialists law I could possibly pass. So what the gently caress?

I noticed there is one legendary deed that requires "using influence to buy out systems". I'm playing the Empire and producing a boatload of influence but I have no idea how to use it to "buy out" systems. Can anyone explain that please?

One of the techs say it unlocks "advanced governments" but it doesn't seem to do anything when you research it. Are advanced governments even a thing in the game?

That's it, I'm really liking the game but I'm really clueless about those things.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Kanthulhu posted:

I'm currently playing the Empire and my quest requires having 4 industrialist laws. I only have three law slots and like two possible industrialists law I could possibly pass. So what the gently caress?

Despite being an Empire, apparently you need to turn into a Democracy and there's a tech that gives you the 4th law. No, I don't understand it either- I think it's yet another one of those things that came out of early development and should never have lasted this long.

That being said, I like this game a hell of a lot more than Stellaris, which has zero excuses and played the "pay for a years worth of expansions and you might get a ok game" tech card.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You can adapt a 4th law as UE without switching from Federation by reaching the final Empire Development tech tier. If you don't have access to enough Industrialist laws, you need to raise the party's level by reaching at least a majority in senate during elections, of which Federations have two slots for. The Industrialists' only real competitor as UE is the Militarists, so unless you have a massive presence from minor factions complicating your demographics, you should always have the Industrialists in power.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

I've been playing ES2 for a couple days now and I have a few questions. I'd really appreciate it if you guys could shed some light on these:

You get more law slots by unlocking higher tech tiers on the left side of the tech tree. You can also get more laws as a different government. As for the total number of Industrialist laws, you have to "level up" the Industrialist party by repeatedly winning elections with them. There's a white bar underneath the party on the government screen.

quote:

I noticed there is one legendary deed that requires "using influence to buy out systems". I'm playing the Empire and producing a boatload of influence but I have no idea how to use it to "buy out" systems. Can anyone explain that please?

That's another technology. It's in the second-to-last tier of the left side of the tech tree. What it does it allow you to spend influence to buy any enemy system that's fully within your influence circle. The longer they stay there the cheaper it gets, but frankly if you're producing that much influence you can afford to buy them the moment it's available. Although this works slightly differently for the Unfallen.

quote:

One of the techs say it unlocks "advanced governments" but it doesn't seem to do anything when you research it. Are advanced governments even a thing in the game?

That just means you can change governments. Again on the government page, the top left of the screen should show you your current government with a little "change government" button below it. Different governments get a bunch of little bonuses: you should probably read through them all at some point. I believe the United Empire starts as a Federation, actually?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Empire has never been a full dictatorship, it's supposed to be this weird huge corporate oligarchy with the emperor as the head of state and holding a ton of power, but ultimately forced to defer to system governors and corporations and powerful families on a lot of things, plus a lot of actual laws even the emperor must follow because it's not an absolute dictatorship. Really the whole United Empire feels like a sort of Prussian constitutionalism in space. Give the people some set rights and some limited democracy in order to stave off an actual full democratic (or even communist!) revolution

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Empire has never been a full dictatorship, it's supposed to be this weird huge corporate oligarchy with the emperor as the head of state and holding a ton of power, but ultimately forced to defer to system governors and corporations and powerful families on a lot of things, plus a lot of actual laws even the emperor must follow because it's not an absolute dictatorship. Really the whole United Empire feels like a sort of Prussian constitutionalism in space. Give the people some set rights and some limited democracy in order to stave off an actual full democratic (or even communist!) revolution

Yeah, the description of the Empire itself even says so on the faction select screen. It's how a space empire would probably end up working if it started from a monarchy, too big to actually have an iron grip over so instead you get the Byzantinian mishmash of noble families and trade guilds. It's a standard space empire trope but still rad.

On a sidenote: having played some Riftborn, I may have to recant my earlier belief that they are brokenly powerful when played tall. At least, in a high-difficulty singleplayer environment, your Riftborn pop's bonuses won't actually be enough to straight-up outproduce enemy factions. Which leads to my next point: Riftborn prefer sterile but highly productive worlds, but unfortunately these worlds have much smaller pop limits than the most fertile ones. I can't recall the system improvement bonuses that are unique to sterile/fertile worlds, but in mid-game you're put in this weird position where you lose out on productivity by terraforming towards more sterile worlds but lose pop slots, and in end-game you're caught between terraforming towards the most sterile worlds and hoping the multipliers and improvements make up for the big loss in population.

So in a singleplayer game, you may be balancing on a very narrow tightrope with your systems' layout while your enemies just keep growing stronger, since they can count on all their poo poo continuously improving while you have to deal with big trade-offs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Wish they'd tone down the AI rhetoric about space ships in/around their territory. Tired of being yelled at about a single unarmed science vessel shooting through the spaces between stars as being a grave affront while they will happily send everything they have through your territory, and there is no mechanic for you to threaten them over their poo poo.

Also being told that i'm building up a fleet on their border despite not having moved the fleet ever and they're the ones that colonized on my border.

Really the AI itself is just so loving petty. All of them are like that.

I'm close to just wiping out the next empire that tells me how much they're bothered by it.

In better news the hotfix worked in unfucking a game of mine w/ forever pending turn.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 30, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sloober posted:

Wish they'd tone down the AI rhetoric about space ships in/around their territory. Tired of being yelled at about a single unarmed science vessel shooting through the spaces between stars as being a grave affront while they will happily send everything they have through your territory, and there is no mechanic for you to threaten them over their poo poo.

Also being told that i'm building up a fleet on their border despite not having moved the fleet ever and they're the ones that colonized on my border.

Really the AI itself is just so loving petty. All of them are like that.

Yeah, after the game is mostly bug free and the core mechanics work as intended I really hope they make diplomacy and relations better, and give us some more post-war options like puppets/vassals.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm surprised that AI demands for tribute don't have an automatic capitulation option on the demand screen. No, they want you to specifically open the diplomacy window later your own drat self and give them something. At least you get to choose what to give them, if you are so inclined.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speedball posted:

I'm surprised that AI demands for tribute don't have an automatic capitulation option on the demand screen. No, they want you to specifically open the diplomacy window later your own drat self and give them something. At least you get to choose what to give them, if you are so inclined.

Do they even care how much? I had someone make this demand and I gave them like 10 dust and they seemed happy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Diplomacy bad. Definitely one of the weakest areas in the game now, both with how nonsensical the AI is on demands and how overly reactionary they are to science ships/fleets etc.

Like for real i ignore every demand they spit out because i keep a couple updated fleets handy just in case, and i specifically look for a high-industry system early on to settle and develop as my 3rd colony (and i always start with an colony ship as my first buildout)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like how they cyber crusader lady will send those leech ships to suck up your population and then get really mad when you blow them up because "hey those are unarmed civilian ships!"

Serf
May 5, 2011

I recently played a game as Lumeris, who are fun, but I'm getting rolled over by the Riftborn right now because like 40 turns ago I accidentally sent a science ship into a system they had an outpost in and somehow caused it to go bad and they declared war on me. I've been taking down small fleets of theirs ever since, but now they've showed up with the big guns and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose this one.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I'd like to play through EL once but I'm not really finding myself getting immersed in it.

Any recommend way/settings/guides to help me enjoy the game better? I just sorta kinda start and peter out after 50-100 turns.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

I like how they cyber crusader lady will send those leech ships to suck up your population and then get really mad when you blow them up because "hey those are unarmed civilian ships!"

Yeah no poo poo how is that not a hostile action.

Kalenden posted:

I'd like to play through EL once but I'm not really finding myself getting immersed in it.

Any recommend way/settings/guides to help me enjoy the game better? I just sorta kinda start and peter out after 50-100 turns.

What speed setting do you play on? Put it on FAST if you aren't. I can't stand the slower versions much because there's a lot more dead turns of just mashing end turn. I also tend to start new games if the conclusion is foregone. I also turn off economic, science, and wonder victories because they're too easy. Economic in particular. Usually the game is over by turn 100, easy. Less w/ economic on.

Serf posted:

I recently played a game as Lumeris, who are fun, but I'm getting rolled over by the Riftborn right now because like 40 turns ago I accidentally sent a science ship into a system they had an outpost in and somehow caused it to go bad and they declared war on me. I've been taking down small fleets of theirs ever since, but now they've showed up with the big guns and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna lose this one.

I'm not certain how to deal with colony bases from opponents. They don't seem to care sometimes if you destroy them, and they will gleefully settle in a system you already have one in (which lets you manpower it down, also if it was there when yours wins the colony war you get a free settled planet out of it)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well poo poo, for some reason every one else in this galaxy is out to kill my time robots. Well gently caress them too then, because now I'm getting an insane amount of approval from all the wars, such that I can eat up my Sophon neighbor eventually and overcome the overexpansion penalty from doing so.

Now that I've unlocked both fertile and sterile terraforming, I've got to see I'm disappointed with the results from Riftborn. Here I was thinking I would be able to turn my corner of the galaxy into a pristine area of orderly and highly productive worlds, but ironically the Riftborn end up with the most diverse array of planet types compared to the other races since their terraforming chain is so weird. Even worse, I'm not convinced that they can even outproduce their competitors since an empire full of forest/terran/atoll worlds has a lot more population and better overall resource multipliers compared to the mishmash of planet types I get stuck with as Riftborn. drat shame, but I guess I'll see this game to the end if it doesn't stall on me since being the most hated faction for some reason is fun nonetheless.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Kalenden posted:

Which factions have you tried? The game plays out radically differently depending on who you're playing as. Try starting a few games as factions you haven't played yet to see if any of them intrigue you.

I personally recommend the Cultists; their "build tall as gently caress in a single gigantic gently caress-you metropolis of a city" gimmick does a lot to minimize lategame tedium, and their playstyle is both challenging and rewarding (plus it's fun to go around spreading Weird Robot Flagellant Religion to your enemies' minor faction villages while they scream and shake their fists in frustration).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 30, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

Actually that sounds like a pretty accurate portrayal of diplomacy.

You're leaving out the best part, which is that if you yourself play Vodyani and send leech ships, the AI sees that as a hostile action.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Speedball posted:

Yeah it's a little lovely that the AI gets to send requests for trade agreements and research and tribute without, apparently, having to spend influence

Like obviously the AI is gonna cheat the influence somehow either way but don't make it so obvious

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I don't know if the AI even knows what to do with Influence, since after the Unfallen, the Empire had the lowest score of any of the other factions by a big margin, in spite of the bananas start they got: their own galactic arm, with five systems including their homeworld producing Jadonyx, and two of those protostars(? maybe protoplanetary disk?) that add +50 Influence/turn to the nearest colonized system, plus a butt load of fertile planets.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Avasculous posted:

Actually that sounds like a pretty accurate portrayal of diplomacy.

You're leaving out the best part, which is that if you yourself play Vodyani and send leech ships, the AI sees that as a hostile action.

There's no reason for the game to simulate you getting angry, because you, the player, get to decide when an action annoys you.

Leeching ships are, as far as game mechanics are concerned, literally a hostile action that can only be done at war. However, the Religious law that Vodyani start with allows them to perform hostile actions without going to war. If you want to fight them over it, well, then you probably should.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Is faction quest progress gated by turn or some kind of progress? Twice now I have faction quest just stop advancing all of a sudden.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I managed to salvage my Lumeris game by just going all-in on ships. I fended off attacks from the Riftborn for a while as my trade routes got up and running. I managed to get them back into cold war status and didn't fight another battle for the rest of the game. Won on turn 194 with an economic victory, making like 19k/turn. Trading is absolutely insane. I was behind the AI on everything else besides dust and research. If I hadn't been able to keep buying them off they probably would've crushed me. By the end I had every other faction breathing down my neck and I could see them massing fleets in adjacent systems. I had the capital ships up by then though and I was ready to hold them off.

This is a fun game.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I need a tutorial to understand how to play the Vodyani. I tried playing them but I detached my Ark to fight some quest spawned pirates and then my upkeep erased my money before I could return and produce money again :downs:.

So, Vodyani: How do you play them right?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Apparently they're making comics now? https://wiki.endless-space.com/comics/lumeris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kanthulhu posted:

I need a tutorial to understand how to play the Vodyani. I tried playing them but I detached my Ark to fight some quest spawned pirates and then my upkeep erased my money before I could return and produce money again :downs:.

So, Vodyani: How do you play them right?

Well, the short answer is don't detach your Ark. I'm sure there are some specific situations where you might want to, but as a general rule you shouldn't. Losing all the productivity of a colony isn't good.

Thereby cementing the Lumeris as the worst aliens.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2017