Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bobulus posted:

Oh, and did I misinterpret that scene, or did Media imply that enough people were fooled by War of the Worlds that they actually Believed and now there's, like, an alien god out in space?

Did you hear the War of the Worlds sound cue as Technical Boy was crossing the lot before Media shows up? It was the hissing chirp of the manta ships from the 1950s' movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dogboy posted:

It all looked to me like she was sucking the life force out of Shadow to reboot herself, so I'd expect her to be bad news. (Also the Raven trying to warn Odin?)

Also yeah: Great episode, great show.

I don't think she was stealing it, but the glowey vision definitely makes it seem like Shadow is her meaning of life... er.... meaning of death? meaning of undeath? And so the closer she gets to him, the more alive she feels. Her heart beat for a second, but its not like Shadow's heart was having a heart attack at the time. He was fine.

Bobulus posted:

Oh, and did I misinterpret that scene, or did Media imply that enough people were fooled by War of the Worlds that they actually Believed and now there's, like, an alien god out in space?

precision posted:

Yeah but she also did say "now there are aliens out there because people believed there were"

Those "aliens" could simply be more media henchmen, or they could be their own thing. We dunno.

White Rabbit posted:

Especially if Shadow Moon's supposed to represent the American Spirit (can't think of anything right for him really), where's it supposed to fit in between those two?

Shadow is confused. :) America is confused, at a crossroads between old and new

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 29, 2017

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
So the spider that freed Wednesday was totally Anansi, right?

Also re: the starman bit (actual spoiler)

On twitter Fuller confirmed they're not only real, they're coming

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gum posted:

:dance:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

The intro story of the mammoth old god was beautiful. Does someone knows who was in charge of the whole animation?

Gillian is amazing on this. :swoon: Her David Bowie and Marylin was so perfect. I most also agree that Crispin Glover was amazing as well. drat. And I was laughing at Odin's raven knocking on the door. Finally, this shows has some really strong Hannibal vibes, it makes me sad because I keep wondering how weird that series could had been in a different network.

You say this like Hannibal wasn't one of the weirdest shows of all time on NBC.

Elentor posted:

I want a TV show about Death. It can be an anthology, or not. I think it'd fit TV a lot better than Sandman. Or Lucifer, for that matter.

Just watch Six Feet Under (I know that's not what you mean, but also, it kind of is?).

Gum posted:

Of course.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Anansi is my co-pilot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

Those "aliens" could simply be more media henchmen, or they could be their own thing. We dunno.

:ughh:

Sometimes text is text. It's not like it's a plot point that's going to come back. Media says "people believed in this, now it exists". The rules of this universe posit that belief can create things, which are occasionally called Gods but also sometimes called Spirits, Demons, Leprachauns, whatever. Jeez man, do you have some kind of condition that forces you to be this... argumentative, with everyone, all the time?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

White Rabbit posted:

Thinking back on it that North Korea offer is loving vile, I'm totally on board with Mr. W now.

"Their God was a War God"

Don't kid yourself, that pitch was hand crafted to appeal to Odin- and it wasn't the mass slaughter that turned him off it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I mean, the op did go out of his way to tell you book readers to take your book discussions to a book part of the forum but you fuckers are simply going to refuse to do it aren't you?

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

etalian posted:

It really needs a gif

Pretty much every instance of misfortune in The Adventures of the Unluckiest Leprechaun are worthy of giffing, really.

Also, Crispin Glover :swoon:

https://my.mixtape.moe/xwfduq.mp4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I haven't discussed the book in this thread since the other one was made. I'm pretty sure. I certainly have intended to avoid doing so.

Media's line about the aliens, I don't even remember if it was in the book. I sure didn't remember it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The tree thing in the police station attacked Shadow, so I don't think it was Yggdrasil or anything Norse which should be on his side. Does Gaea exist in this reality? (though I don't know what she'd have against Shadow)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
When Shadow had his visions in the first episode the tree was reaching for him, so I'm sure it has something to do with that.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

White Rabbit posted:

Thinking back on it that North Korea offer is loving vile, I'm totally on board with Mr. W now.

the norse are the most brutal fucks in history and their gods represent that. they invented rape.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

owns thanks

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I don't think Yggdrasil was sentient, or at least couldn't do what we saw in the episode. Whatever that this was came with the new Gods.

Edit: I have a felling that rape has been around since the dawn of time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luckily for Mad Sweeney Mythbusters did show that cursing helps deal with pain.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Some nice still shots of and some minor interpretation of the (amazing) opening credits.

http://imgur.com/a/bQkSk

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

the norse are the most brutal fucks in history and their gods represent that. they invented rape.

new gods better hope the gently caress out that the mongol skyfather is properly dead and gone then

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

precision posted:

:ughh:

Sometimes text is text. It's not like it's a plot point that's going to come back. Media says "people believed in this, now it exists". The rules of this universe posit that belief can create things, which are occasionally called Gods but also sometimes called Spirits, Demons, Leprachauns, whatever. Jeez man, do you have some kind of condition that forces you to be this... argumentative, with everyone, all the time?

How is it argumentative? :confused: I think you're reading my post in the wrong tone.

"We dunno" isn't exactly "gently caress you you're wrong" :v:

And you're missing the point. I'm not saying they're leprechauns or demons or whatever instead of gods. I'm saying, people were discussing whether there was an alien god. As in, seperate from Media, the media god. There could be an alien god because people believed in aliens. Or, because that was part of a radio transmission, it could simply manifest as part of Media, hence my saying "it could just be media henchmen, or it could be an alien god, we dunno". The exact rules for faith aren't spelled out.

And I'm saying, I don't know which of those is the case. There's no hard evidence to tell us its one or the other.

Did you not follow that?

Sickening posted:

I mean, the op did go out of his way to tell you book readers to take your book discussions to a book part of the forum but you fuckers are simply going to refuse to do it aren't you?

Nobody's talking about book stuff though dude.The black bars aren't book spoilers, they're people making guesses or basing things on their knowledge of mythology, and they're choosing to black bar it just to be extra nice.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 30, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pretty sure the Romans, Egyptians, Greeks, Persians, Cavemen, Pretty much anyone with a dick and no chicken, raped without a second thought of Vikings.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

No.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since everyone is complaining about each other's posting I figured I'd bring you the worst read of American Gods humanly possible.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
I get the feeling that was posted by a "passionate" teenage girl with a keen sense for "research". Teenagers are stupid loving morons, what else is new?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I stopped caring about what teenagers think about 3 weeks after i became 20.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Gum posted:

I wonder if we will get Media being Agent Scully for that bit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Since everyone is complaining about each other's posting I figured I'd bring you the worst read of American Gods humanly possible.

I don't know where to start with what's wrong with that...

Do they they think that Bryan Fuller is straight?

Or is that just about the book?

Edit: and also they seem to think that gods should personify something good, rather than be an emergent property of human shittiness...

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Shadow wasn't that thrown off by Dead Wife in his hotel room but was about to lose his poo poo at Floating Marilyn Monroe

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
another interesting and relevant question is, who invented rape?? chicken rape?

Or we could go back to discussing this TV show. :v:

a kitten posted:

Some nice still shots of and some minor interpretation of the (amazing) opening credits.

http://imgur.com/a/bQkSk

That's cool, I missed a few details after 5 episodes, always meant to pause on the menorah to figure out what the symbols were and here it is of course!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Capntastic posted:

Shadow wasn't that thrown off by Dead Wife in his hotel room but was about to lose his poo poo at Floating Marilyn Monroe

Floating is on a whole nother level from zombies. Zombies don't necessarily violate physics.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Snak posted:

Floating is on a whole nother level from zombies. Zombies don't necessarily violate physics.

Well, uh, technically,

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That threw me off too, but eh, I can rationalize it. He spent his week with a con artist, his ex-wife was a con artist as well. After a week of the supernatural for all intents and purposes she wasn't a stretch. Plus he had the whole "bad feeling about this" with her.

I think he just wasn't expecting to see something so forward as someone floating, everything else was hazy and dreamlike.

With that said I do still think he should have reacted a bit more strongly than that to a loving zombie, yes.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 30, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Capntastic posted:

He was pretty drat thrown off by Dead Wife, comeon

And not just Floating Marilyn Monroe but more Gods being able to show up and just kill everybody in a police station without fear.

Snak posted:

We know that her blood's been drained and her heart isn't pumping, so her being able to move at all violates physics. Its maaaaagic.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But from the perspective of actually observing poo poo, I'm totally right. Seeing someone who should be dead walking around is still just seeing someone walking around. Seeing anyone floating around is seeing something you've never seen before.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Shadow should do the Audrey yell everytime weird God poo poo happens

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

White Rabbit posted:

another interesting and relevant question is, who invented rape?? chicken rape?

https://youtu.be/JIO_BFCf8fU?t=1m45s

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Snak posted:

But from the perspective of actually observing poo poo, I'm totally right. Seeing someone who should be dead walking around is still just seeing someone walking around. Seeing anyone floating around is seeing something you've never seen before.

Additionally, Marilyn Monroe is a celebrity and also dead. I'd say dead and floating and famous definitely beats dead and walking.

And More fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 30, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I somehow completely forgot that Crispin Glover's name is in the opening credits and I was utterly thrilled to see him.

But I've come to the rather obvious conclusion that I'd watch an hour a week of "Bryan Fuller Presents Gillian Anderson Doing Stuff", she's so great in this and she was fantastic in Hannibal too (those Europe episodes :swoon:)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jerusalem posted:

I somehow completely forgot that Crispin Glover's name is in the opening credits and I was utterly thrilled to see him.

But I've come to the rather obvious conclusion that I'd watch an hour a week of "Bryan Fuller Presents Gillian Anderson Doing Stuff", she's so great in this and she was fantastic in Hannibal too (those Europe episodes :swoon:)

Counting down to her guest spot on the new Star Trek... :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Media should definitely have her own spinoff