Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

Oh god, there's going to be a nuclear plant meltdown in the place based off Japan. :cripes:

I want to say they wouldn't do something like that but I realize that is totally something Uranium would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
more like pokemon uranus

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah, that makes sense...

But then why is there also Not-Venice that loves acting in this same region?
Honestly, the geography in Pokemon games has never made all that much sense.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Honestly, the geography in Pokemon games has never made all that much sense.

True, but they - especially the newer games at least try to be consistent. B/W is Amurica, XY is France, SuMo is Hawaii, and the previous games are different regions in Japan.

Uranium has nothing recognizably Brazil in the layout, pokemon design, or atmosphere.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

more like pokemon uranus

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

That Mega-Whimsicott looks like a Terraria enemy.

it looks like it has plant leprosy

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

HardDiskD posted:

ah the snow capped mountains of northern Brazil

to be fair pretty much every region has some weirdness like that, except the first two

Hoenn has a big desert even though Kyushu isn't even the place where they made an artificial desert. Sinnoh's north half is snow-bound wasteland even though Hokkaido isn't that frosty (not to mention the postgame's supposed to be Sakhalin even though in-game it's a volcanically active rugged tropical area), Unova has a sprawling desert in what's supposed to be central Manhattan, and northeastern Kalos is the same deal as north Sinnoh. I dunno about Alola, haven't played it or anything but surely it's not all tropical paradise like actual Hawaii

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The famous dusty badlands of Paris

Like DIRECTLY OUTSIDE Paris.

S/M felt actually plausible tho, the one time it was cold out it was super high up, and there were a lot more clearly taken-from-reality features. And unlike literally all the other examples of "desert in the middle of nowhere" in Pokemon, the obligatory desert had a reason for it to make sense.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 30, 2017

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'd seen theories that the desert in Unova was supposed to be Ground Zero.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

The Golux posted:

but it has ancient egyptian ruins

also why would game freak make an elaborate 9/11 joke

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

to be fair pretty much every region has some weirdness like that, except the first two

Hoenn has a big desert even though Kyushu isn't even the place where they made an artificial desert. Sinnoh's north half is snow-bound wasteland even though Hokkaido isn't that frosty (not to mention the postgame's supposed to be Sakhalin even though in-game it's a volcanically active rugged tropical area), Unova has a sprawling desert in what's supposed to be central Manhattan, and northeastern Kalos is the same deal as north Sinnoh. I dunno about Alola, haven't played it or anything but surely it's not all tropical paradise like actual Hawaii

You should play gen vii because it's the best.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

The Golux posted:

Ground Zero is like a few city blocks, not half of Manhattan

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Endorph posted:

instead of a racist pokemon game, let's talk about this instead:

https://twitter.com/probzz/status/867945944016314368

I lost it at Plucca. Only Australians will get Plucca.

Edit: Holy poo poo Bindee and Errwinn the old 2-for-1.

I kinda feel I should go through each of these and explain the joke for non-Australian's cause its a rather good run.

Edit 2: lol im 5 pages behind

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 30, 2017

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

I kinda feel I should go through each of these and explain the joke for non-Australian's cause its a rather good run.

Someone did! Or at least has started doing, anyway. Which I'm thankful for, because even as an Aussie I had no idea what the slime of gore and dead horses that was Tommi -> Whycrow -> Dedorse appeared to be, because of brand not local to me and gently caress rhyming slang
https://twitter.com/niboswald

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel I've just learned a lot about Australia. That was not the content I expected in the Pokemon Uranium thread, but I'm not complaining.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
australia sounds fun

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

Hawaii is not all tropical paradise, too so you'd be correct. The only weird things that stands out in Alola is the desert in the middle of one of the islands. There's also a snowy peak, but due to having very old and very large volcanic mountains, that's actually not impossible given their altitude and the moisture in the air. The only thing that makes it unreal is the amount of snow.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

So was there any point to pokemon uranium the floor tile puzzle?
Like you just had to run around to fill squares and you didn't have to reach the door just as you balanced the tiles or anything.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Xelkelvos posted:

Hawaii is not all tropical paradise, too so you'd be correct. The only weird things that stands out in Alola is the desert in the middle of one of the islands. There's also a snowy peak, but due to having very old and very large volcanic mountains, that's actually not impossible given their altitude and the moisture in the air. The only thing that makes it unreal is the amount of snow.

There's the rain shadow effect, so the desert itself isn't weird.

Rats Tossbag
Jan 16, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

I lost it at Plucca. Only Australians will get Plucca.

Edit: Holy poo poo Bindee and Errwinn the old 2-for-1.

Edit 2: lol im 5 pages behind

If anyone who isn't Australian understands "Theraynsarere" I will be absolutely amazed.

e: also Rainboa is an amazing pun and concept, I wasn't expecting Dreamtime stories in a list of dumb Aussie stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

E-flat posted:

There's the rain shadow effect, so the desert itself isn't weird.

That's interesting. As for the desert that the one in SM is based on, it's actually not a true desert due to having more than enough rainfall to be hydrated. Everything is dead there though due to acid rain via precipitation mixing with the sulfur from the volcano.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 30, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rats Tossbag posted:

e: also Rainboa is an amazing pun and concept, I wasn't expecting Dreamtime stories in a list of dumb Aussie stuff.

Really? I'd be more surprised if it wasn't referenced in some way, though I would've expected something closer to Bobbi-Bobbi.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Okay, I'm gonna need more context on that Cassowarrior entry. That sounds loving hilarious

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Okay, I'm gonna need more context on that Cassowarrior entry. That sounds loving hilarious

Yep, it's a thing.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Rats Tossbag posted:

If anyone who isn't Australian understands "Theraynsarere" I will be absolutely amazed.

Australia is Monsoon territory, right? And I remember a Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where he got caught in the Outback when a rainstorm blew through and had to outrun a wall of water in the middle of the desert, because it rained so much the ground wouldn't soak it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FishOnAPiano posted:

Someone did! Or at least has started doing, anyway. Which I'm thankful for, because even as an Aussie I had no idea what the slime of gore and dead horses that was Tommi -> Whycrow -> Dedorse appeared to be, because of brand not local to me and gently caress rhyming slang
https://twitter.com/niboswald

This is amazing and someone needs to get Nintendo to put them in.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah, that makes sense...

But then why is there also Not-Venice that loves acting in this same region?

Pretty sure this is the inspiration: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talian_dialect

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Rats Tossbag posted:

I don't know if its insulting to have the Dreamtime in with all the other junk like VB though ya know.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Redeye Flight posted:

Australia is Monsoon territory, right? And I remember a Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck where he got caught in the Outback when a rainstorm blew through and had to outrun a wall of water in the middle of the desert, because it rained so much the ground wouldn't soak it.

Queensland and the Northern Territory gets tropical cyclones and floods really badly. 75% of Western Australia is desert while Victoria, New South Wales & South Australia are temperate and generally just wet and miserable.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Aw man they don't explain Errwinn properly. And Not Bindee every well either.

For those not in the know Errwinn is a reference to Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin. A famous Zoologist known for his very thick accent, can do attitude and lax OH&S around animals. Steve got famous internationally, and nationally, for his television series "The Crocodile Hunter" where he and his wife Terri went around Australian (and later the rest of the world) trapping crocs. The show made is cry of "Crikey!" very popular. Steve also owned and operated one of the the most popular Zoo's in Australia "Australia Zoo."

Other a famous actions of Steve included: Advertising internationally for awareness of Australian quarantine laws (Quarantine matters. DON'T MUCK WITH IT! *agressive finger pointing*), running a conservation group and very, very infamously dangling his infant daughter over a crocodile pen. (The daughter being Bindi, as referenced in Bindiee the previous entry NOT named after a particularly annoying weed that's seeds are covered in spikes and stick into you but rather, according to Steve, a Native Australian word meaning "young girl".)

Steve sadly died in 2006 whilst filming some reef wildlife off the East coast to stick into his young daughters TV show. He swam over a stingray in shallow water, which as a defensive mechanism started lashing out with its spiked tail. It got him through the heart causing him the bleed to death in his boat on the way to the hospital. This is why the Pokemon pictured here has Steve's sun-bleached blonde hair, big happy smile and is a fuckin' stingray piercing its own chest with a halo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Cause apparently that guy didn't finish explaining all of them I shall but just in text no fancy picture version and frankly full of less trivia facts:

Boomer: A boomerang. A carved stick used by native Australians as a weapon for hunting and war. The war ones DON'T come back. Actually very very advanced technologically. (YOU carve wood in such a way it returns after being thrown, CONSISTENTLY)

Ranga: Second half to Boomer (Boomer-Ranga). Also Aussie slang for a red-headed person.

Kaboomerang: I honestly don't get this one myself beyond the aforementioned boomerang.

Theraynsarere: The Rains Are Here. Not 100% on this either but large weather events are both a blessing and curse in Australia. Often times there is drought where a spot of rain is most welcomed by farmers but typically when it happens it ends up being a LOT of rain and floods everything out. On the coast it's typically in the form of a cyclone (monsoon) that destroys fuckin' everything.

Fucnoath: Fuckin' Oath. Australian curse/praise. 'Mon is made of cool surfie hand sign.

Bludioath: Bloody Oath. See above. Thumbs up 'Mon.

Getfctcnt: Get hosed oval office. Australian greeting/way to get punched in the face. 'Mon is made of middle fingers.

Harbor: It's the Sydney Harbor Bridge.

Westgate: It's the West Gate Bridge.

Caramell: Caramello Koala, an individually wraped chocolate treat in the shape of an anthropomorphised koala. Filled with caramel.

Fredo: Freddo Frog, an individually wraped chocolate treat in the shape of an anthropomorphised frog.

Berty: Berti Beetle, an individually wraped chocolate treat in the shape of an anthropomorphised beetle. Has pieces of honeycomb in it.

Crookaburra: The kookaburra is native bird with a large beak and distinctive call, which sounds like laughter. A crook is a criminal.

Corrobberbee: It's a bee. A corroboree is a native Australian social gathering. Rob being a strong syllable implies theft connecting it to the previous entry.

Corrale: Coral. Duh.

Scooba: Scuba diving is a popular way of viewing coral reef's.

Reeef: It's literally Reef.

Speedo: Underpants like swimming wear. Also called togs or budgie smugglers. See Tony Abbot.

Stubbs: Short shorts for men, called Stubbies.

Trackees: Trackie's are track pants.

Lilbute: It's a small ute, called pick-up trucks by Americans despite being a kind of car and not a truck. Ute's are very big in Australiana where they are seen as a sign of Australia's rural, working class roots.

Yoobute: You beaut' is a contraction of You Beauty, a term used when referring to something in a happy, positive manner.

Elekidna: It's an Echidna. A native Australian animal that is a spiny anteater of the Monotreme family, that is mammals that lay eggs which are only found in Australia and some surrounding islands (and PNG).

Elekidyeah: Same as above but he's giving you the thumbs up bro. Yeah!

Vegemite: Vegemite is the super great breakfast of champions. It's a yeast-extract savory spread for bread or toast and often takes foreigners by surprise at its very salty taste as they attempt to lather it on like jam. Looks nothing like a wood louse covered in vegetables but you get the pun.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 31, 2017

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Woolworths still exists in Aus?

Is it the same as our dearly departed UK one?

I don't know of any other shop where you could buy a garden hose, a pack of crumpets and a "realistic" pissing toy doll baby on the same aisle. And randomly run into abandoned bags of pick-n-mix anywhere in the store.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Woolworths still exists in Aus?

Is it the same as our dearly departed UK one?

I don't know of any other shop where you could buy a garden hose, a pack of crumpets and a "realistic" pissing toy doll baby on the same aisle. And randomly run into abandoned bags of pick-n-mix anywhere in the store.

I'm not sure if they are related honestly, but Aussie Wollies is still going strong despite their bungled attempt at the hardware industry.

Billy: Dual reference to the Billycan, a metal tin used for cooking in the bush, and the start of a Ned Kelly reference.

Dedkellee: Ned Kelly, famous Australian Bush Ranger (outlaw) who has worked his way into becoming somewhat of a mythical Robin Hood like figure despite never really giving money to the poor and being an actual criminal who, along with his brothers, murdered 3 police men. Wore homemade amour made from bashed and riveted boiler plates. Shot, captured and hung at the neck till dead for his crimes (murder, robbery and taking hostages in an attempt to avoid police capture)

Ranger: See above. Ranger has a an appearance close to Ned Kelly's armour (breast plate and pot-like helmet)

Loonaparc: A reference to Luna Park, an amusement park in Sydney. The entrance has a giant face where you enter through the mouth.

Spitthedummy: Spitting the dummy is slang for having a vocal cry about something, similar to that of a baby crying.

Chuckawobbly: Same as spitting the dummy, having a vocal cry loudly about something.

Fongg: A thong, also called flip-flops. Popular, some may say NATIONAL, footwear of Australia.

Sandell: A sandal, a kind of shoe.

Blunstonn: Bluestone is a local brand of work boot. Typically steel capped for added safety.

Chillby: It's an ice Bilbie, a native marsupial that looks like the half way point between a rabbit and a mouse.

Billbyte: A bigger Bilbie, not sure of the exact reference though beyond that.

Billblizzard: Same as above.

Goonfish: It's a Goon Bag. A plastic bag full of cheep cask wine, typically associate with alcoholism and bogans.

Caskfish: A box that your goon comes in.

Dinglow: A dingo, native wild dog.

Dinghost: Same as above.

Djinngo: Same as above but a pun on Djinni, a powerful spirit from Arabic mythology. Drawn with the tell-tale tail curl popular among modern renditions of the creature.

Combat: It's a wombat. A large ground dwelling marsupial with a big nose, heavy as gently caress body and claws for digging. Very cute.

Wombash: See above.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
For anyone more interested in finding out about Ned Kelly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1WmidFwFzY

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gridlocked posted:

Lilbute: It's a small ute, called pick-up trucks by Americans despite being a kind of car and not a truck. Ute's are very big in Australiana where they are seen as a sign of Australia's rural, working class roots.

In the US I've never heard anything other than "El Camino" (after one of the earlier brands) used to refer to what you are calling a "small ute" (i.e., a car body with a pickup back).

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
May as well finish.

Eemuu: The Emu is a flightless, large bird native to Australia. Comes if large flocks and we once lost a war with them. They feature with the Kangaroo on the Coat of Arms.

Treemuu: It's an Emu but a tree too.

Seamuu: It's an Emu but made of sea stuff.

Steamuu: It's an Emu but made of industrial piping.

Gootounge: Blue Tongue Lizard. A native lizard with a distinctive bright blue tongue.

Gooko: A gecko. Duh.

Gooanna: The Goanna is a large predatory monitor lizard. Though not known to attack humans they have big claws, and sharp teeth making an aggressive one not very safe to be around. Initially thought to nurse bacterial cultures in their saliva which would act as an infection vector post bite, there is now debate raging as to whether or not they in fact have small toxin glands in their mouths with an anticoagulant venom administered with a bite. Do not get bitten either way, poo poo will not be pleasant.

Didjitygrub: The Didgeridoo is a native Australian pipe instrument, played for traditional dance and other ceremonies and often decorated with the famous dot-art of Australia. The Witchetty grub is a wood eating larvae of various moth species that are found in the roots Witchetty Bush (thus their name) or in other plants. They are a form of "bush tucker" and taste very nutty. Can be eaten raw or cooked. I honestly recommend cooked though.

Didgeridoom: See above.

Sidnee: It's Sydney. The 'Mon features the arches of the Sydney Opera House.

Melbonn: It's Melbourne. The 'Mon features the famous building over Flinders Street station.

Paradyse: It's Surfers Paradise. The 'Mon features a wave, used for surfing.

Golcoast: It's the Gold Coast. The 'Mon features a giant whale, whale watching a popular sight seeing opportunity in the area, and the city on it's back.

Bunyeep: The Bunyip is a mythical creature from native Australian mythology that lurks in bodies of water.

Yowee: The Yowie is a ape-like creature from native Australian mythology. Reports on its behavior are contradictory as to whether it is aggressive or shy. Consider it the Australian Sasquatch.

Rainboa: The Rainbow Snake is considered to be something of a creator god of Australia that exists in the past, present and future; bringing life to places that none exists. Typically depicted as a giant rainbow-coloured snake. Seriously go look up native Australian mythology, its one of the most ancient types of myth-religion in the world and is kickass as hell.

Big O: Not an orgasm. It's the Big Orange of Berri, South Australia; one of the many Big Things found across Australia. Don't ask why, they are just things that are big.

Big B: It's the Big Banana of Coffs Harbour, New South Wales.

Big P: It's the Big Pineapple of Woombye, Queensland and formerly of Gympie, Queensland.

Blaccbox: The black box of an aircraft, used for recording flight data. Typically high sought post-crash to help discover the issue that caused the crash. Not found in the case of MH370.

Wifly: It's a fly but also the WiFi symbol on your phones and tables and poo poo.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Gridlocked posted:

Billbyte: A bigger Bilbie, not sure of the exact reference though beyond that.

Probably just frostbite, since they're going for the ice theme here. And hey, it's got pointy teeth.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Context for Theraynesarere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxfurkPuTo

Also the Wifi Pokémon is Australian because wifi was invented by the CSIRO.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Coq au Nandos posted:

Context for Theraynesarere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdxfurkPuTo

Also the Wifi Pokémon is Australian because wifi was invented by the CSIRO.

Oh poo poo son I remember that ad. Jesus that is a good reference. Now I'm sad no 'Mon is a Big Ad reference.

Also I didn't know that. Go us hey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Quick backtrack to the update: was that place an Avatar the Last Airbender reference? You've got the moon and sea = yin and yang thing, plus the history of the town sounded basically the same as the two lovers story about Omashu, even down to combining names. Just that much more baffling that they put in all that effort to set up all those moon/waves themes and didn't actually make the gym leaders use appropriate types to reflect that.

• Locked thread