Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Have we seen costs that vary by models? I'm concerned that they are back to a ranged weapon being +X points regardless of the model having BS 2, 3 or 4.

To a limited extent, yeah. Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields cost more points for models with the Character keyword. There's definitely room for them to expand on it in future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Have we seen costs that vary by models? I'm concerned that they are back to a ranged weapon being +X points regardless of the model having BS 2, 3 or 4.

I assume that this would be covered by the varying cost of the base model (i.e. a BS2 model being cheaper than a BS4 one). Is that necessarily a poor solution? (I don't actively play 40K, so this isn't an intuitive subject for me).

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Moola posted:

If during the list building phase, your opponent divides by three and hops on one leg...

Remember the AoS rule that asked players to look into each others' eyes are beguile each other?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Huh, C'tan shard appears to have psyker like abilities that have no warp charge requirement, but their own specific rolls. That's kinda fun, and flavorful for the Necrons.

Anybody speak good enough :discourse: to figure out what Reanimation Protocols does in 8th? Or I should say, Globo della Ressurecione ? E: Er, Protocoli di Rianimazione?

I speak Italian, ask me anything.

And yes, Globo dealla Ressurecione = Resurrection Orb and Protocoli di Rianimazione = Reanimation Protocols

Resurrection Orb - If a bearer has this, once per battle, after you've done reanimation protocols for your units, you can do Reanimation Protocols [a second time] for one unit of friendly <DYNASTY> Infantry within 3"

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 30, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
POWERS OF THE C'TAN

antimatter meteor - Roll a d6; on a 2+ the closest enemy unit within 24" of the C'Tan shard suffers D3 mortal wounds

Temporal Arrow - Pick a single enemy unit within 24" of the C'Tan shard and roll a D6. If the result is greater than the Wounds characteristic of that unit, a model in that unit is killed.

Seismic Assault - Roll a D6 for each model model in the closest enemy unit to the C'Tan shard within 24". For each result of a 6, that unit suffers a mortal wound

e: You can choose these like psychic powers, or roll if you're an idiot

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 30, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

For_Great_Justice posted:

Seems like GW really just wants people to use the simple BP system. Like they want what people normally use as points so inconvenient they use BP instead. They won't.

This is my take away as well

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If the LR Crusader has a different points cost than a lascanon Land Raider, doesn't that mean the base weapons are included and you're just paying for dozer blades and searchlights?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The Crusader's got a bigger transport capacity, right? So it'll be a different cost to the regular LR.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh maybe. I thought the defining feature was the weapon loadout.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
QUANTUM SHIELDING: Each time this model takes an unsaved wound, roll a D6. If the result is less than the damage inflicted by the attack, ignore the damage (for example, if you take 4 damage and get a 3 or less, the damage is ignored)

e: When reading the weapons charts, "Pesante" is Heavy, "Assalto" is assault, and Cadenza Rapida is Rapid Fire

All the Tesla weapons are cut off, but they all get you some additional number of <something> on a roll of a 6. Probably hits again

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 30, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
How has no eldar stuff leaked I'm getting hives here.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

For_Great_Justice posted:

Seems like GW really just wants people to use the simple BP system. Like they want what people normally use as points so inconvenient they use BP instead. They won't.

I thought this too at first but then again, "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence" :v:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

How has no eldar stuff leaked I'm getting hives here.

They're all squatted offscreen in a single paragraph of the new rule
book :rip:

Also Quantum Shielding sounds amazing for defense against melta/las and other high-powered weapons. Kind of the opposite of the last version but I like it, it makes Necron vehicles far more survivable.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PierreTheMime posted:

They're all squatted offscreen in a single paragraph of the new rule
book :rip:

Don't play with my emotions bro.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Synaptic Disintegrators can target characters even if they aren't the closest unit. To Wound rolls of a 6 cause mortal wounds

VANDREKH

Living Metal - some other page

COUNTERTACTICS - At the start of the opponent's turn, pick an enemy character within 12" of Vandrekh. That character can't use its aura abilities until the start of the opponent's next turn.

PHASE MODULATOR - 4+ invuln

MY WILL BE DONE - At the beginning of each of your turns, pick a friendly unit of SAUTEKH dynasty infantry within 6". Until the start of your next turn, you can add 1 to that unit's rolls to Advance, Charge, and To Hit. A unit can only have this ability put on them once per turn.

The last ability is real hard to read, but it looks like an ability you can activate at the start of your turn that affects a unit of SAUTEKH infantry within 6", and you roll a D3 to get one of the following for them: +1 attack, +1 BS, or re-roll failed Charge rolls with the unit

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Soulfucker posted:

I thought this too at first but then again, "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence" :v:

yeah I think it's this tbh

AgentF posted:

Remember the AoS rule that asked players to look into each others' eyes are beguile each other?

If during the list building phase, you cause your opponent to gently caress their sums up by shouting out random numbers as they calculate points, gain 3 victory points!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

The formatting is giving me some 3e flashbacks, too.

noting even that huge mess gives different points for ICs.
Nah, see, I want this. This is good. I miss this format.

The points layout in 8th is not equivalent to late 3rd/4th ed. It is so much worse.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

As an exercise I went and pulled a random 1500 point list and recosted it too the new Blood Angel Rules. It now comes in to 1825.

The Land Raider Redeemer now costs an eye-watering 366, possibly more if it turns out you have to pay for Frag Assault Launchers (if they're still a thing. :shrug:)

Edit: The notable exception were tactical squads, both of which (Including 2 support weapons) cost the same or slightly cheaper.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 30, 2017

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, see, I want this. This is good. I miss this format.

The points layout in 8th is not equivalent to late 3rd/4th ed. It is so much worse.

It's pretty much the same except that you need to add in base weapons. What else is the difference?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't belive we haven't had any more big leaks.

Come on people it's 2017, where's my instant gratification.

Will no-one respect my massive sense of entitlement? :colbert:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If everything costs more in points that means there's less stuff on the table and the game, theoretically, should play faster.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm glad HH is still using 7th because mechanized lists just don't seem point competitive anymore. Tanks have more firepower because of the TL change, but are no more durable against AT guns than before and cost 50-100+% more. Yeah they can't be stunned but die just as easy and I don't think stun immunity is worth doubling prices.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

It's pretty much the same except that you need to add in base weapons. What else is the difference?
That is a pretty huge difference. They've made Matched points needlessly complicated and it's not even consistent. Most tanks don't include their basic weapons anymore, but then you have something like a vindicator which does. Or an Ironclad includes its basic dreadnought close combat weapon while a normal dreadnought doesn't. It's just so poorly laid out.

GW has had wargear tables for as long as I can remember. That's not the problem here. It's the layout and the idiotic approach. What's the point of leaving the weapons off of something like a land raider which can't switch them out? Why bother making players look up bolters and bolt pistols if they're just going to cost 0? Or just look at the idiocy of the thunderfire cannon.

Anyways, where are the Tyranid leaks? I want bugs. Gimme bugs.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Doin some more Necron Translations. Feels good cause I never get to speak/use Italian

Vanguard Obyron

Living Metal (p 84)

[Sharp Counterattack] - If Obyron is killed during the fight phase, don't remove his model until the end of the phase. He may fight in this phase if he hasn't already.

The Lord's Will - You can re-roll failed morale tests by friendly units of SAUTEKH within 6" of Obyron

Spirit Mantle - At the end of each movement phase, you can remove Obyron and a unit of SAUTEKH infantry within 6" from the table. The rest is cut off, but I assume you can then deep strike them anywhere that's more than 9" away from an enemy.

Vanguard's Duty - This is also cut off but it seems like as long as Vandrekh is within 3" of Obyron, Obyron can do look out sir rolls to take wounds for Vandrekh

Overlord

Living Metal

Resurrection Orb - Once per battle, after you roll reanimation protocols, you can nominate a unit of <DYNASTY> infantry within 3" to get a second reanimation protocol.

Phase Modulator - 4+ Invuln save

My Will Be Done - At the beginning of each of your turns, pick a friendly unit of SAUTEKH dynasty infantry within 6". Until the start of your next turn, you can add 1 to that unit's rolls to Advance, Charge, and To Hit. A unit can only have this ability put on them once per turn.

Lord

Living Metal

The Lord's Will - You can re-roll failed morale tests by friendly units of SAUTEKH within 6" of this model

Resurrection Orb

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

There are a few knocking about but it's on a big list of "take with a pinch of salt". The one I want most to be true is the rule that Carnifexes don't degrade as they take wounds :unsmigghh:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Deptfordx posted:

I can't belive we haven't had any more big leaks.

Come on people it's 2017, where's my instant gratification.

Will no-one respect my massive sense of entitlement? :colbert:

Seriously. We get the loving Weeaboo Warriors, Bolter Bitches, and Brotherhood of the Used Tampon but no loving Orks?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
German Ork photos being posted to 4chan now.

Stompa has 40 wounds now lmao

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Holy crap, my excitement for 8th couldn't have face-planted any harder. I'm suddenly very happy that HH is sticking with 7th Edition for the foreseeable future.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It makes a tiny bit of sense to leave off all wargear. A Predator trading in its Autocannon for a TL-Lascannon would expect a different price than a Razorback trading in it's Heavy Bolters for a TL-Lascannon. By making you have to buy every weapon there's no cost differentials to worry about. For models like the Land Raider which have no options, it would be awkward for half of them to have bespoke points costs and the other half to have set points costs.

Here's a nid leak:

quote:

>old one eye: 10w r7
>ws3+, gives +1 to hit on carnifices within 6
>his charge does d3 mortal wounds on a 4+ instead of 1
>each attack that hits generate another attack to resolve with the same weapon against the same target
>140pts

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

German Ork photos being posted to 4chan now.

Stompa has 40 wounds now lmao

Imgur Link

Someone who speaks German please translate.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Holy crap, my excitement for 8th couldn't have face-planted any harder. I'm suddenly very happy that HH is sticking with 7th Edition for the foreseeable future.

Why?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
:orks101: Battlewagons have sixteen wounds gently caress yeah. :orks101:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
CATACOMB COMMAND BARGE

- Living Metal

- Wave of Command - At the beginning of each of your turns pick a unit of friendly DYANSTY infantry within 12" of this model. You can add 1 to their rolls to advance, charge, and to hit until the start of your next turn. A unit can't have this and the My Will Be Done bonus in the same turn.

- Quantum Shielding - Every time this model takes an unsaved wound, roll a D6. If the result is less than the damage done by the attack, it's negated.

- Resurrection Orb

- Explode - If this is reduced to 0 wounds, roll a D6 before it's removed. ON a 6 it explodes and every unit within <distance> takes <number> mortal wounds

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

The leaks make it look like a lot of things were turned down a bit too much (psychic powers seem downright boring and very "same-ish"), while the points stuff is an absolute mess. I mean, in a vacuum, it might not seem so bad, but I've been zooming along on the hype train for the past month, and a lot of the stuff that was leaked this weekend just feels like a massive miss.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The leaks make it look like a lot of things were turned down a bit too much (psychic powers seem downright boring and very "same-ish"), while the points stuff is an absolute mess. I mean, in a vacuum, it might not seem so bad, but I've been zooming along on the hype train for the past month, and a lot of the stuff that was leaked this weekend just feels like a massive miss.

Battlescribe will have full catalogues before the launch at this point. I could careless about the points presentation?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Meh; the rules layout is the worst of it so far and that's not that big a deal. It sucks and it's terrible, but it's easily fixed by using an army builder, which I already did anyways, and we can hope for real, well-laid out lists in the actual codexes later on. Models increasing in price to make for smaller games is a good thing.

I also like the matched play rules. Not giving a player multiple re-rolls per phase is fine, and the psychic rule will probably limit how many you take but is otherwise also fine.

So I'm disappointed with the books and how points are laid out (though for the record, I am OK with power points, since I agree with WoM that it's just another way to score poo poo), but otherwise still excited for 8th and ready to start playing. Still like this loads more than 7th, which is still a terrible garbage game with too much bloat.

e: Powers are a bit bland, but I'm not clamoring for three dozen useless powers over here. What they have is selectable and seems useful

Mostly, these remind me of the placeholder rulebook codexes from 3rd edition, which got replaced with much better/more detailed rules/books

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Old One Eye doesn't look half bad.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It makes a tiny bit of sense to leave off all wargear. A Predator trading in its Autocannon for a TL-Lascannon would expect a different price than a Razorback trading in it's Heavy Bolters for a TL-Lascannon. By making you have to buy every weapon there's no cost differentials to worry about. For models like the Land Raider which have no options, it would be awkward for half of them to have bespoke points costs and the other half to have set points costs.
I can see where they got the idea, there is a basic logic here, but it's poorly though out and all over the place. They would be much better off with simplistic unit entries with points and options, but no rules. That's assuming they don't want real points on the datasheets.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:orks101: Battlewagons have sixteen wounds gently caress yeah. :orks101:

Why the gently caress aren't they posting boyz. :kingsley:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I can see how that would be frustrating. The only thing I can say is that the exact same thing happened when GW transitioned to 3rd edition. Nearly every codex was relegated to a series of toned down lists in the back of the rulebook, and it took years for everything to be fleshed out and developed.

But yeah, getting hyped and then seeing this could be a disappointment. Personally I'm excited.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

Battlescribe will have full catalogues before the launch at this point. I could careless about the points presentation?

this guy gets it

e: also holy gently caress Stompas have 40 wounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Old One Eye doesn't look half bad.

For 140pts he looks like a must have with a pack of Fexes considering how critical that 3+ to hit will be for them.

• Locked thread