Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
guys I'm a GAMER (ie raging rear end in a top hat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/869408504712499200

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

radd posted:

This is why it is taking so long to get NPCs in the game. Every time the AI comes online, it asks for a refund.

:five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHja_YIP2q8

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Trick question!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Eatrathi

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi4lvd6AsPc

Star Citizen Beta coming 2017 everyone :toot:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Also, i think we should support the "We need more $50- $100 ships!!" guy. How can we form a goon zerg army when all the ships are like $300+ ?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Baxta posted:

This is meant to be a cool space game that you can play

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

Ben review spotted:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Can some nice goon write a small Everspace review here?

From what I read, it's arcade'ish, not a lot of depth. Is it true? How many hours of entertainment can we expect?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

JugbandDude posted:

From what I read, it's arcade'ish, not a lot of depth. Is it true? How many hours of entertainment can we expect?

Everspace is a Freelancer-esque rougelite game. You jump from sector to sector, shoot enemies, find new equipment, manage your resources before finally dying somewhere along the way. You will get points, unlock new perks and ships for the following runthroughs.

It's a lot about know when to fight and when to run, and what to risk to get more resources. It looks absolutely stunning and is quite casual altogether.

When I say Freelancer-esque I do mean that in the most literal sense when it comes to combat. You move your ship with your mouse, the guns will always face where your mouse is pointing, with the ship slowly catching up.

There is a rudimentary story as well. All in all a fun, repeatable game.

Might I also suggest Starpoint Gemini Warlords which just came out. It is a Freelancer-esque Mount&Blade Style game in which you build your empire, fight other dudes, and blow up planets with a doomsday ship. Combat is more focused on positioning (4 shield segments and placement of turrets), and is overall a bit slower paced.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Michaellaneous posted:

Might I also suggest Starpoint Gemini Warlords which just came out. It is a Freelancer-esque Mount&Blade Style game in which you build your empire, fight other dudes, and blow up planets with a doomsday ship. Combat is more focused on positioning (4 shield segments and placement of turrets), and is overall a bit slower paced.

Go on...

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

grimcreaper posted:

That style gun is pretty common in sci fi. I dont think its ryan archered

Looks more like a hairdryer than a gun...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

It literally is what it says on the tin. The map is divided into Sectors, and you start with a huge space station in space. You upgrade that with resources that you gather by buying mining/salvaging stations. You research new ships, new weapons and upgrades, build your fleet and kick the living poo poo out of other factions, taking over their space.

A big part of the game is capturing ships. You can grapple onto enemy ships and send in your marines, with a small, tactical minigame. You can destroy parts of their ship (engine, shields, weapon system) or attempt to take it on. Then you can either keep that ship for yourself, salvage it, or add it to your fleet.

The combat on the game is, as already said, based on position of your ship. Most of your guns will be able to shoot above you, so it's good to keep the enemy there. Managing the four parts of your shield also comes to play; showing the enemy your strong side while letting the other regen.

You can absolutely fly in fleets with massive dreadnoughts and hundred of ships, engaging in massive scale fleet battles.

Overall, in the 8 hours or so I played yesterday, I had a great gun. It comes with the grind that Mount&Blade has, but overall it is fun and challenging. I even died a few times.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Baxta posted:

This is meant to be a cool space game that you can play

http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

I impulsed bought it and its pretty fun time waster.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Baxta posted:

The problem I have with this is that there are people that will never get their money back. People who say 15 or 30k is disposable income. When all this explodes, they will do one of two things: 1. Say they had no idea (They did while arguing against "FUD") or 2. Deny ever paying money into it.

I reckon a disturbing majority will go with 2.

I know this concept is going to sound alien to a lot of people who post a lot in this thread.

But there are going to be a lot of middle aged dudes out there that bought ship after ship and never bothered to look at the forums, neither here nor at :cig: nor at :reddit: and will genuinely be surprised when this poo poo comes crashing down.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

I'm quite confident that the release schedule for SQ42 Episode 1 might be released later this year. At worst, it will come out in Q1 2018.

I'm not worried, not at all, no sir.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

JugbandDude posted:

I picked it up thanks to the last Star Citizen thread, same with Rebel Galaxy, actually, thanks Star Citizen thread! Everspace is definitely arcade-ish -- sort of a first-person FTL, where you'll use the credits you earned on your last run to purchase unlockable upgrades. It's basic, but fun. To me, its big advantage is how casually I can play, in these little hour-or-less chunks of space combat.

The gameplay is pretty much warping into a system, fighting some dudes, picking up/building items, mining resources, repairing/upgrading your ship, and then warping to the next system. Loiter too long in the same system, and baddies will show up to chase/kill you.

I would guess you'll get maybe 8-12 hours out of it before it feels repetitive? There's lots of perks and upgrades to buy for each of the 3 ships you get, as well as pilot upgrades, but you just purchase them with credits between runs like everything else.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

I know this concept is going to sound alien to a lot of people who post a lot in this thread.

But there are going to be a lot of middle aged dudes out there that bought ship after ship and never bothered to look at the forums, neither here nor at :cig: nor at :reddit: and will genuinely be surprised when this poo poo comes crashing down.

I can't wrap my head around this concept, but then I've never had $15K in walking around money.

I *do* usually just leave the kickstarters well alone after I've chipped in, but again, I think the most I've poked on anything there was the loving huge Ogre board game and the premium Scythe. Tangible things.

Michaellaneous posted:

Overall, in the 8 hours or so I played yesterday, I had a great gun. It comes with the grind that Mount&Blade has, but overall it is fun and challenging. I even died a few times.

They kinda abandoned Starpoint Gemini II, and the first one was overly janky, so I sat out Warlords. This might pique my interest more.

However, up to my tits in fluid management systems in Klei's oxygen not included.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Thanks, gentlemen.

I liked Starpoint Gemini and simply love FTL, so Everspace might work for me.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I expect SQ42 to release in (new Date().getYear() + 1), and always did since I was a little girl. Whoever thinks otherwise clearly doesn't understand game development!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jesus, they've gotten to the point of trying to use Excel to forecast when 3.0 will be out by charting the time it's taken to complete the handful of features they say are "done" in the schedule reports that A) have never been accurate and B) only started recently.

quote:

(500 man-days divided by # developers + dependencies and overhead )

This is what desperation looks like.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I honestly don't understand why you fine folks are talking about other space games to play when we have AAA+ Star Citizen to immerse yourselves in.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Stupid loser needs his safe space! Sad!" - A guy who tried to get Derek banned from reddit, OSC banned from reddit, and Goons banned from /r/dereksmart

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Beet Wagon posted:

Jesus, they've gotten to the point of trying to use Excel to forecast when 3.0 will be out by charting the time it's taken to complete the handful of features they say are "done" in the schedule reports that A) have never been accurate and B) only started recently.

This is what desperation looks like.

OMG its AGILE. Have you ever heard of a scrumsprint?! Excel is how devs know what postits to put on the board for the user stories using the burndown charts of the product master.

You obviously don't understand depelovment.

EDIT:

Baxta fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Baxta posted:

You obviously don't understand depelovment.

That's actually true, I totally don't.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Extreeeeeeeeeeeeemmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeee

Beet Wagon posted:

Baselining is viable and amusing. I mean, they got the FOV slider out in a solid month, so let's not take anything away from them there. Small victories. You can set the FOV now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

That's actually true, I totally don't.

I knew it. You do have something in common with Chris Roberts.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Jobbo_Fett posted:

300 Employees doesn`t buy you graphics, buying graphics buys you graphics!

I would bet dimes to donuts that they only paid for it after the alarm was raised and noise was made.

This is even more plausible when you consider that an artist in a company with lots of artists, couldn't make an image like that; but had to purchase stock photo.

roflingstones
May 19, 2009
open my wallet the chairman said

bill_murray
Apr 27, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Nobody ever been called a sexist pig who said they liked Bill Murray

Go on, try it, tell any woman you please that you think Bill Murray is the poo poo. She will immediately agree

Bill murray is the poo poo.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

"Stupid loser needs his safe space! Sad!" - A guy who tried to get Derek banned from reddit, OSC banned from reddit, and Goons banned from /r/dereksmart

Yeah. They're so cute. Meanwhile...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/6e3tnq/derek_smart_on_fdev_the_project_is_going_to_fail/di7lfgi/

quote:

I am in the $3k bracket myself and honestly, even if the game failed, I would be ok with it at this point. I have gotten my entertainment value out of it. It has also pushed technology in games to another level. Something this industry sorely needed because of people like Derek Smart making lackluster games with the excuse of "it's an art style". CIG has created new technology that other developers are already looking at and already implementing themselves. They are doing more than just creating the BDSSE. Again, something Derek Smart was never capable of doing.

They continue to make stuff up out of whole cloth because that's all that they have. Nothing else. I mean, seriously.

Ask them which technology it is pushing, and they won't have a response. Ask them what new technology that others devs are "already looking at implementing", and they won't have an answer. They lie. All the time. Just because they have nothing else, and because there is no way to defend this project without employing hyperbole, lies - and dreams.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The game is on fire, and there are no devs at their desks
And the pipelines are all muddied with a thousand lonely dreams
And a Smart wind blows

The development is corrupt
And we've read so many posts
With the Spectrum open and the forums closed

We're trapped in the thoughts of this horrible machine
And the machine is dreaming to death

The sun doesn't exist
And the ship commercials are all leering
And the ATVs are all dead at the time of their posting

It went like this:
The market tumbled in on itself
Autists clutching .JPEGs
Picked through the sub-reddit
And pulled out their Bitcoins

The models were beautiful on fire
All twisted limbs stretching outwards
Everything washed in a thin gray haze

I said, "Pledge now, exclusive offer -
New cash only"

You grabbed my money
And we fell into it
Like a daydream
Or a fever

We woke up one morning and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of Smart

I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That's a nice pear-to-pear network you're working on there, commando.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

D_Smart posted:

Yeah. They're so cute. Meanwhile...

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/6e3tnq/derek_smart_on_fdev_the_project_is_going_to_fail/di7lfgi/

They continue to make stuff up out of whole cloth because that's all that they have. Nothing else. I mean, seriously.

Ask them which technology it is pushing, and they won't have a response. Ask them what new technology that others devs are "already looking at implementing", and they won't have an answer. They lie. All the time. Just because they have nothing else, and because there is no way to defend this project without employing hyperbole, lies - and dreams.

It's like their idea that CIG has some of the "best talent in the industry". In the refunds sub a citizen made that claim and when asked who they are, he replied with Chris Roberts, the ex-crytek guys, and that guy who used to work on No Man's Sky.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

phosdex posted:

It's like their idea that CIG has some of the "best talent in the industry". In the refunds sub a citizen made that claim and when asked who they are, he replied with Chris Roberts, the ex-crytek guys, and that guy who used to work on No Man's Sky.

Yeah, I can relate, because they all parrot the same nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

(500 man-days divided by # developers + dependencies and overhead )

Sooo. Friday?