Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rutibex posted:

Except Beerus. No matter how many hundreds of times you multiply your strength Beerus is always way stronger.
Beerus seems to have super strong fighter powers and can also delete things from reality at his discretion, and really, it's hard to disagree with that kind of a power. Presumably in order to beat him Goku has to overcome his fightpower, but if he wanted to assassinate him he'd have to somehow become undeleteable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

I want Vegeta to see Kale go Broly mode and wonder if all Saiyans can do that.

they can, he already got mad at trunks for doing it. super swole has been a thing longer than broly has

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Nessus posted:

Beerus seems to have super strong fighter powers and can also delete things from reality at his discretion, and really, it's hard to disagree with that kind of a power. Presumably in order to beat him Goku has to overcome his fightpower, but if he wanted to assassinate him he'd have to somehow become undeleteable.

I genuinely believe at this point Goku is immune to Hakai. I think someone is going to try it and nothing is going to happen.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Black August posted:

I genuinely believe at this point Goku is immune to Hakai. I think someone is going to try it and nothing is going to happen.

Even Zamas isn't immune to it and he's a Kai.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kild posted:

Even Zamas isn't immune to it and he's a Kai.

Zamas was a loving toolshed, that's why it worked

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah everyone fantasizing about Dragon Ball becoming a story of militant atheism is probably high, unless like Goku has to fight an evil (ok, antagonistic) God of Destruction.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Black August posted:

Zamas was a loving toolshed, that's why it worked

He was also a universe spanning immortal eldritch horror.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nessus posted:

Yeah everyone fantasizing about Dragon Ball becoming a story of militant atheism is probably high, unless like Goku has to fight an evil (ok, antagonistic) God of Destruction.

I dunno. The U7/U6 tournament had Goku basically telling Hit outright that he's not going to stand for the Gods ruling over everyone for much longer.

I'm not saying it's going to get really serious or anything, it's Dragon Ball, but I do think that at some point Goku will beat up Beerus or something, and then they'll eat happily together.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

He would just dodge it. Beerus would end up Hakaing a bunch of after-images.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blaze Dragon posted:

I dunno. The U7/U6 tournament had Goku basically telling Hit outright that he's not going to stand for the Gods ruling over everyone for much longer.

I'm not saying it's going to get really serious or anything, it's Dragon Ball, but I do think that at some point Goku will beat up Beerus or something, and then they'll eat happily together.
What would be much more effective is if Goku can get the Kais to get their poo poo together

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

While I doubt Goku is going to go on a god-murder rampage(because that would be what Future Trunks would try to do, not Goku), I'm interested to see if there's any actual payoff to Goku muttering to Hit about showing the gods that they're not just pawns and then throwing the match.

Maybe his plan is to show Zeno that learning to punch through your problems is way more interesting than deleting them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

Maybe his plan is to show Zeno that learning to punch through your problems is way more interesting than deleting them.

Zeno got hurt/tired playing with a plastic mallet, I think he might be quite vulnerable. He must have guards because he actually needs them, and his universe erasing power is his only trump card. Thats why everyone was so terrified when Goku wanted to shake his hand.

If someone could distract the guards and Grand Priest, killing Zeno should be as simple as a quick punch to the head :twisted:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TrilliontonNixon posted:

I want him to see Kale and completely wimp out like he did in the movie.

But this time its a lady saiyan, maybe he'll be awkwardly aroused by it while also scared a bit.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Master Roshi pervs on Kale, she transforms, Vegeta pervs on her.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
as if vegeta has the gall to think about anyone other than bulma

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

While I doubt Goku is going to go on a god-murder rampage(because that would be what Future Trunks would try to do, not Goku), I'm interested to see if there's any actual payoff to Goku muttering to Hit about showing the gods that they're not just pawns and then throwing the match.

you guys are overthinking it. he's just saying that they can fight in a non tournament context later and they did.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Master Roshi DOESN'T perv on Kale, she transforms, he pervs on her, turns out his training has only inadvertently shifted his perv-meter to brick house ladies.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spit on my clit posted:

as if vegeta has the gall to think about anyone other than bulma

Vegita saw how powerful Gohan was fighting Radditz, and suggested to Nappa that they create a race of super powerful "half breeds" when they get to Earth. He is following through with that plan. He has no interest in saiyjin women, he wants power.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Master Roshi is going to fail to overcome his weakness and is going to eliminate Coulifla and Kale by perving on them until they get disgusted and give up to get away from him.

I still 100% believe this.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Master Roshi has overcome his worldly desires. I trust in him to not gently caress it it up! Tien, however, I do not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Vegita saw how powerful Gohan was fighting Radditz, and suggested to Nappa that they create a race of super powerful "half breeds" when they get to Earth. He is following through with that plan. He has no interest in saiyjin women, he wants power.

nappa suggested it and vegeta shot him down

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Saiya is an anagram of the word yasai which means vegetable in Japanese. Naming convention is this:

- full blooded Saiyans are vegetables (Vegeta, Nappa, Raditz etc)
- Namekians from Earth are musical instruments (Piccolo, Tambourine)
- Earthlings are other food dishes, usually of Chinese origin (Siu and Mai, Kuririn is chestnut & Marlon is French for chestnut, tenshihan and Chaozu are derived from fried rice and dumpling)
- Bulma's family is all puns on clothing
- Satan's family is all religious deities, including Pan
- Namekians from Namek are named after slugs and snails
- Bibidi Bobidi Buu, also Abra Cadabura
- Frieza clan is named after fridges and cold stuff obviously, his soldiers are named after fruit (Dodoria is a pun on durian)
- Ginyu force is named after dairy products though

Of course there's all of the movie people that get their own naming convention, like the spice boys, Cooler's henchmen, and whatnot.

Adding to this, Goku's family are named after breakfast, also including Pan (bread).

I reckon the reason we're getting Frieza again instead of Cell is because Norio Wakamoto isn't someone they can afford anymore.

The dude has such a reputation that he's basically a meme in Japan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

nappa suggested it and vegeta shot him down
I think Vegeta's specific reason was that it would take like ten years and who gives a gently caress when they're going to be immortal anyway?

I always thought that might've been a booby prize even if they'd pulled it off. Vegeta (or Nappa, or Freiza) would no longer be vulnerable to the risk of dying of old age but would not necessarily become any stronger. Hell, there's no guarantee they'd have stopped aging, either.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Mordaedil posted:

Adding to this, Goku's family are named after breakfast, also including Pan (bread).

Well, except for Goten.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nessus posted:

I think Vegeta's specific reason was that it would take like ten years and who gives a gently caress when they're going to be immortal anyway?
Nah, he didn't want children stronger than him running around.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Fuego Fish posted:

Well, except for Goten.

That's true, what is his name about?

Edit; Looking around, it seems his name(悟天) is derived from Goku no Daiboken (悟空の大冒険)

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 30, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

I reckon the reason we're getting Frieza again instead of Cell is because Norio Wakamoto isn't someone they can afford anymore.

The dude has such a reputation that he's basically a meme in Japan.

They afforded him just fine in 2010 when they made Kai

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

They afforded him just fine in 2010 when they made Kai

Right, and?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think they brought back Frieza because by near unanimous consensus he's by far the series' most iconic archenemy, has had the largest impact on the mythos and has the most well developed rivalry with the cast. I doubt it's because they can't afford a VA who is still doing regular work on TV anime shows.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

Right, and?

And why couldn't they afford him now, 7 years later? Has he done something particularly impressive since then? Has he obtained Buddhist enlightenment and no longer desires material money?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If you could afford to buy a car yesterday and did, could you buy a boat today?

We're talking pretty big differences in salary between the two of the projects here.

multijoe posted:

I think they brought back Frieza because by near unanimous consensus he's by far the series' most iconic archenemy, has had the largest impact on the mythos and has the most well developed rivalry with the cast. I doubt it's because they can't afford a VA who is still doing regular work on TV anime shows.

I'm just throwing the idea out there, it's entirely based on hot air.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread but Pan is actually a triple-layer pun in this case. It's the name of a satyr from Greek mythology (fitting with her mom and grandpa), the Japanese word for bread (fitting with her dad), and a pan flute is a type of musical instrument (fitting with her Uncle Piccolo).

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Wakamoto is in a bunch of lower budget poo poo and Frieza is more popular than Cell in Japan.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

Wakamoto is in a bunch of lower budget poo poo and Frieza is more popular than Cell in Japan.

Ah, I am completely wrong then, got it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Isn't he more popular in the West as well? I hear more talk of Frieza being the best DBZ villain than Cell at least.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Honestly Perfect Cell is boring. He was at his best as Imperfect Cell.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Isn't he more popular in the West as well? I hear more talk of Frieza being the best DBZ villain than Cell at least.

Frieza is more popular in my heart.

Also the fight with Frieza was the best in Dragonball Z. Everyone got to take a crack at him, Krillin even got a shot in. The fight with Cell was boring, just a bunch of ultra powerful guys sitting on the side lines doing nothing.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly Perfect Cell is boring. He was at his best as Imperfect Cell.

Perfect Cell just effortlessly beat up two guys and then sat still on a stage for a week before getting clowned by Gohan.

Even still, he's just all of the other Cells' personality with a much huger ego (and thus calmer). There's not really any difference between them except where their ego was currently at.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Golden Freeza is stronger than SSJB, at least in a short burst. Cell, at best, is a SSJ2 level, and at that point you may as well grab Future Trunks because he gets along with the team.

Edit: Captain Ginyu would be better to grab someone by surprise. Like have him switch with Jiren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If Freeza had any time to mediate or whatever in Hell, he could have mastered Golden Form in his stupid cocoon. If he did that, he'd be able to stay in it without drawbacks and just be way stronger than everyone else.

Except maybe Goku using Kaio Ken.

• Locked thread