Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Kurapika's at maximum power only when fighting spiders. It isn't just chain jail, it's also just how nen works. I doubt his self healing would work as well on non-spider wounds.

The healing being powered up is specifically stated to be because of Emperor Time being active. Boat Kurapika is great and far more interesting than Yorknew Kurapika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The healing being powered up is specifically stated to be because of Emperor Time being active. Boat Kurapika is great and far more interesting than Yorknew Kurapika.

It's also just a nen mechanic. Your emotional state and resolve are crucial to your strength. Emperor Time makes kurapika more efficient (and also is a needed step to activate a couple powers) but it isn't solely responsible.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
But it's mostly responsible. I mean, anyone would get an emotional power-up against their mortal enemy, but Uvogin claims to have killed plenty of other would-be avengers.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Kurapika is still an edgy 90s mc but Maybe a bit better now. He sucks because he got powers which don't belong to a main character. More like a weird mentor or other free agent.
Hero powers are always simple and can be used inventively
another is he's still angry. Stop being angry

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

Kurapika is still an edgy 90s mc but Maybe a bit better now. He sucks because he got powers which don't belong to a main character. More like a weird mentor or other free agent.

Kurapica problems is that he is too much. Not only he has flexibility (great variety of powers with different chains), and power (against Ryodan, but let's remember he learnt to how provoke the Emperor state at will), he is also Batman, with great deduction and perception skills, despite being relatively young. He joined a group of elite veterans like the Zodiac and it seems he is already doing a much better job!

He is OP, pls nerf.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

His flashback chapter was also super dull.

"Oh wow we're going to see the Kurta Clan when the Troupe attacked!"

"nope here's a pretty boring story and then a 'two weeks later they all died'"

This panel is dope though

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've said it before but I hope Kurapika does not get to enact his revenge and mostly fails at his goals and just has to learn to live as a person outside of that, and deal with having a mostly weak nen ability because he poured it all into trying to kill spiders.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I don't really see why his judgment chain is supposed to be super powerful. The only reason it worked so well Uvogin and Pakunoda is that it they were both forced into Zatsu by his Chain Jail. And that is a tactic that only works on on the Ryodan. Everybody else can just defend themselves against it as you would against any other Nen attack.

And other than that is really just a pretty standard Conjuring Hatsu, with pretty server restriction. Also, I think that a lot of his "abilities" are not actually Nen related, but just the usual shonen standard super powers, i.e. him catching bullets in the chain links.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
Kurapika and Hisoka are both Good Boys because they've successfully scared the Troupe, who were insufferable prior to Uvo getting clowned.

Also Kurapika brought a shovel to the duel

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mabels big day posted:

I've said it before but I hope Kurapika does not get to enact his revenge and mostly fails at his goals and just has to learn to live as a person outside of that, and deal with having a mostly weak nen ability because he poured it all into trying to kill spiders.

Agreed hisoka killing them all is best

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Personally, I am very keen on Gon calling them out on their bullshit. Anime is sometimes very weird when it comes to protagonist being very forgiving to the enemy for some bullshit reason, so somebody calling out their double standards was pretty loving awesome.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

He already gave up on going after them, really, and has dedicated himself to the hunt for the eyes. The reason him fighting them is a possibility again is because they are going to where he is this time.

Also the healing chain isn't really that amazing [Edit: At least, as a tool in fights; obviously being able to heal like that is useful]; in the fight with Uvo, he didn't use it until he already won. It was showing off, basically, and the amount of time it seemed to take was impractical for using in the middle of an intense fight (to say nothing of how, if you're getting hurt that badly in a fight, you are probably losing pretty badly). It'll help him (and maybe others) keep going after fights, perhaps, but thus far at least we don't have much reason to believe it'll really help him during a fight.

I am curious about his last chain, though.

e X posted:

Personally, I am very keen on Gon calling them out on their bullshit. Anime is sometimes very weird when it comes to protagonist being very forgiving to the enemy for some bullshit reason, so somebody calling out their double standards was pretty loving awesome.

Oh, yeah. Gon's kind of a hypocrite there himself, but still, him calling them out was great.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 30, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

Kurapika is best when he's angry because it's of the few times he seems almost human. Otherwise, he's back to pokerfaced puppetmaster type who has perfect self-control and confidence against the Spiders.

Also, I want Killua to return even if he's in one panel because he's my favorite character and I want to see him on his travels w/Alluka.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like Chrollo's response though

"How can you kill strangers without even caring!?"

"Probably because they're strangers :downs:" *terrifying hearbeat*

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
leorio is my friend

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurapika is interesting because he has an incredibly powerful and important set of powers that do allow him to punch way above his level and despite that they leave him feeling frustrated, ineffectual and impotent. That is entirely the point. He is absurdly powerful and it doesn't matter because his quest for revenge is meaningless and self-destructive and his ability to win isn't the critical central focus of the plot.

It is exactly like The King who is the strongest motherfucker around and a horrifying creature who would be the Frieza of any other arc but his story is about his gradual change in personality and development and his eventual defeat is an anti-climax that none the less is completely satisfying because it comes at the end of his character growth.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Alder posted:

Kurapika is best when he's angry because it's of the few times he seems almost human. Otherwise, he's back to pokerfaced puppetmaster type who has perfect self-control and confidence against the Spiders.

Also, I want Killua to return even if he's in one panel because he's my favorite character and I want to see him on his travels w/Alluka.

cow zodiac asked him for help and he sperged out because he mentioned eyes, like a total dork

killua and gon are good boys would never do that

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

cow zodiac asked him for help and he sperged out because he mentioned eyes, like a total dork

killua and gon are good boys would never do that

All my favorite anime BFs are broken people but I love them regardless :shobon:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Alder posted:

I like that. He was introduced as kind of stuffy and cold but easily riled up, but pretty quickly got friendly with the other 3, but now he's so far down his hosed up rabbit hole of revenge and underground Mafia poo poo that he's honestly kind of creepy. It's an interesting contrast to Gon during Chimera Ant, who let all that darkness out at once, whereas Kurapika's sort of steeped himself in it.

I dunno, I don't really have a problem with Kurapika or any of his dumb chains, I feel like people who are heavily criticizing Emperor Time as though it's some kind of terrible mary sue powerup that Togashi shouldn't have made are missing the point. Like, yes, in a vacuum or on paper it's bad. But in that way so is Meruem. Emperor Time might be busted 1-on-1, especially vs Spiders, but almost right after he kills one of them the other 12 are out on a rampage in the city killing civilians and kidnapping his friends in an attempt to get to him. Emperor Time isn't gonna do poo poo against 12 extremely powerful Nen users who want his blood. Now even if he goes after one of them again and manages to kill one of them, they know what he looks like and how he fights and almost certainly won't be warded off like they were before. His mary sue powerup is not as good as people seem to think it is, especially for what he originally wanted to use it for.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the spiders weren't in a hurry to follow up with kurapika, since they had other priorities. i sincerely doubt they were willing to let the matter slide, though. some random bum being arrested kicked off a wave of suicide bombers. is there anything the spiders wouldn't do to completely ruin someone who killed two of their members?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the spiders weren't in a hurry to follow up with kurapika, since they had other priorities. i sincerely doubt they were willing to let the matter slide, though. some random bum being arrested kicked off a wave of suicide bombers. is there anything the spiders wouldn't do to completely ruin someone who killed two of their members?

they can try all they want hisoka will kill them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i said that all in the past tense. they aren't going to have the opportunity to leisurely hunt down kurapika now that they are all stuck on the death boat. i dunno if all the spiders are gonna die, but a bunch of them sure as heck will.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Watch Kurapika have to team up with the spiders to avoid getting killed by a nen beast.

I suspect that Hisoka will be in disguise for quite a while before revealing himself at a dramatic moment.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i said that all in the past tense. they aren't going to have the opportunity to leisurely hunt down kurapika now that they are all stuck on the death boat. i dunno if all the spiders are gonna die, but a bunch of them sure as heck will.

hisoka has killed 2 of them

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hisoka is so much cooler and better at being Kurapika than Kurapika that all future chapters and reprints should replace Kurapika with a second Hisoka.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
You can read 40 chapters for free on Shueshia's website!

Posting just for the image tbh

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I want hisoka to bugger off to the mountains for 40 years and come back with an even more hosed up version of Netero's nen ability

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

His mary sue powerup is not as good as people seem to think it is, especially for what he originally wanted to use it for.

As far as boringly overpowered lovely powers go, Chrollo's is a lot worse since it's a bargain bin ability stealing power, but even that Togashi made work pretty well in his fight with Hisoka.

What I'm saying is, Togashi is a good writer and probably won't write himself into a corner with Nen abilities like Oda did with Devil Fruits.

Shugojin posted:

I want hisoka to bugger off to the mountains for 40 years and come back with an even more hosed up version of Netero's nen ability

Hisoka is crazy but not that crazy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he'd have to write to write himself into a corner

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
writing in a corner might help with his back issues tbh

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Rewatching this again and it still REALLY cracks me up that it takes an entire episode to explain why it's a really really really really REALLY bad idea to get punched by Netero and I love EVERY second of it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

The worst spider is the guy with the holes in him

Bono is actually my favorite member of the spiders and one of the more interesting conjurers in the series since he's among a very small list to actually summon more than one thing. He's one of the only members we know that isn't originally from Meteor City. And I like his whole concept of being this spiritual leader to his people out for revenge. A "Holey" warrior if you will. :v:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Brought To You By posted:

A "Holey" warrior if you will. :v:

I won't, and I'm offended that you did.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Zeratanis posted:

Rewatching this again and it still REALLY cracks me up that it takes an entire episode to explain why it's a really really really really REALLY bad idea to get punched by Netero and I love EVERY second of it.

BAD MOVE

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Thats a bad move [ITS BAD]

emphasis doe

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Parrotine posted:

No way bud, you're just looking through that with rose colored shades, step back and try to relive the horror, I dare you

As for me, I might as well wrap up the rest of the seasons since I've come this far, give it more time to gauge a better judgement overall

So I have to admit, after a bit of time this show has kind of grown on me
:aaa:
What are the odds, no? It seems the goon was me all this time :shrug:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hunter X Hunter is perfect and I'm still mad at some dude 3 years ago in a One Piece thread who said "hrrrm seems to me like a fairly typical shonen"

Is it back next issue then?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

either next week or the one after

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I want to live in a world where HxH is typical shonen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It's atypical in a few major ways
1. The art is very bad
2. Never comes out

Other than that it's just Jojo fights starring child goku and his friend, child Vegeta.