Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crain posted:

This is all true, but at least wrt suspending elections I think it's just so far outside of the realm of possibility. See Drone's post: There isn't a legal mechanism for enacting such a thing, so in order to suspend elections they'd literally have to attempt a full on coup of the US government and dissolve it, or attempt a constitutional amendment to allow them to do so legally. Which is just not possible in the next 3 years.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

2) They're girding up by reaching out to militia groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

mcmagic posted:

Daily Obsturction of Justice? Massive incompetence? Blatant grift?

They are ignoring a lot of congressional tradition, executive tradition, and other "we thought this was more legally binding than it really is" rules, but when it comes to actual Constitutional rules the Emoluments clause is all I know they are for sure violating.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Daily Obsturction of Justice? Massive incompetence? Blatant grift?

Incompetence is not unconstitutional

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Yes if you use a Heritage Foundation / Fox News level of disingenuous argumentation then Australia has the highest statutory minimum wage, because you've excluded all the countries that set a de facto minimum wage via collective bargaining agreements. Then you can pretend that, say, Denmark and its de facto minimum wage of US$18 doesn't exist.

Your "all economists are right wing hacks" schtick is silly. That Denmark number is actually the average minimum negotiated across sectors--a substantial number of workers can be paid less than that. And when you adjust for purchasing power--everything is more expensive in Denmark, and their lowest income tax bracket is 40%-- that $20 dollar figure looks more like $12 would in the US. So no, there aren't any countries with a $20 minimum and it's either disingenuous or uninformed to assert the opposite.

It's also instructive that Denmark achieved its de facto minimum through widespread unionization, and those unions have rejected calls for a national minimum because they prefer the flexibility of collective bargaining and they fear a minimum enforced by the state would actually lower wages.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pants Donkey posted:

As much as he hates the presidency, I think he hates the idea of being a loser worse. His ego just won't allow the possibility that someone was better than him, so he'd probably holler about illegal voting again and refuse to leave office until an investigation was done. I mean, he can't even admit he lost the popular vote and is so insecure he still has to bring up electoral maps to assuage his self-esteem. Dude will absolutely fight tooth and nail to keep a job he utterly despises just for the sake of appearances. That's how much of a broken human being he is.

I think you underestimate Trump's ability to distort reality so that he will, in fact, have won, even in defeat. He'll be a pissy little bitch baby loser, whine and moan about illegal votes, etc. etc., but he'll leave and go back to his penthouse. He likes being a reality star with no responsibilities too much. Even in the VERY unlikely scenario where he barricades himself inside Fort Kickass and refuses to leave, he can't stop the Electoral College certifying his opponent as the winner, and the military can and will forcibly remove him. Remember, they planned for this during Nixon.

Would not put it past them to trash the West Wing offices, though.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 30, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Radish posted:

A local politician is running in my area where he is literally calling Trump a "sociopathic maniac" in his ads so I think the time of "reasonable" discourse (where Democrats act like Republicans want what's best for America and they just disagree over the way to enact that) is over thankfully.

What is he running for?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's USDA just announced that it is cancelling the Obamacare regulation that required all restaurants with more than 25 locations to post their calorie content on their menu four days before the rule was supposed to go into effect.

A lot of places already started doing it in preparation, but now they won't have to when they update their menus.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/27/trump-restaurant-calorie-posting-rule-238873

yea my company employs over a quarter million people across thousands of locations. this was a huge deal for us to roll out in time to avoid fines and penalties, and a loving awesome thing for the consumer.

the great news is that even though it's being withdrawn, the marketplace is demanding it and big companies will continue to comply - the systems are already in place.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

It's worrying, but I don't see the end result of vaguely allied militia groups as a full coup. At best they start "patrolling" their areas pretending to play cop and get push back from the real police for stepping on their turf, and the ones that end up killing anyone get arrested and sentenced and the GOP just goes "oh wow what a crazy lone wolf with no connection to anything" like usual. These guys are not actually very good at what they do, and they are not being lead by geniuses (as we're finding out).

I'll gladly ear crow if they do end up forming a de facto paramilitary and announce they're taking over.

Mostly because that'll be all that's left to eat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

aware of dog posted:

Incompetence is not unconstitutional

It kind of is...

quote:

Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

JeffersonClay posted:

Your "all economists are right wing hacks" schtick is silly. That Denmark number is actually the average minimum negotiated across sectors--a substantial number of workers can be paid less than that. And when you adjust for purchasing power--everything is more expensive in Denmark, and their lowest income tax bracket is 40%-- that $20 dollar figure looks more like $12 would in the US. So no, there aren't any countries with a $20 minimum and it's either disingenuous or uninformed to assert the opposite.

It's also instructive that Denmark achieved its de facto minimum through widespread unionization, and those unions have rejected calls for a national minimum because they prefer the flexibility of collective bargaining and they fear a minimum enforced by the state would actually lower wages.

Are you discounting Denmark's wage for taxes and not discounting US wages for payroll tax, income tax, etc?

That said, I do agree with you that unionization is better than the minimum wage, but that doesn't mean countries without strong collective bargaining protections should forgo the minimum wage through some kind of cargo cult reasoning.

If you hate the minimum wage so much we can repeal it after we revitalize unions in every employment sector, but certainly not before.

E: also there is a tension in your arguments. You say $15 minimum wage is too high because it's never been done (statutorily) before and would be bad, but then you say a $15 wage is bad because it's not *high enough* so we should have strong unions to make it even higher...

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 30, 2017

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

It kind of is...

That has nothing to do with plain incompetence and I think, or at least hope, you know that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It would be really funny if in 2020 Trump won the popular vote but lost the EC.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

What is he running for?

Governor of Virginia (we are idiots and only allow one term for some dumbass reason; I would vote for Mcauliffe again with no hangups). Also I was slightly wrong he called him a "narcissistic maniac."

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

TGLT posted:

That has nothing to do with plain incompetence and I think, or at least hope, you know that.

It's mcmagic, of course he doesn't.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Crain posted:

This is all true, but at least wrt suspending elections I think it's just so far outside of the realm of possibility. See Drone's post: There isn't a legal mechanism for enacting such a thing, so in order to suspend elections they'd literally have to attempt a full on coup of the US government and dissolve it, or attempt a constitutional amendment to allow them to do so legally. Which is just not possible in the next 3 years.

It boggles my mind that people keep saying "There's no legal mechanism for them do this!"...No offense, but I kinda want to see one of you get mugged. ":smuggo: Excuse me, but there is no legal means by which you can take my money, so I'm afraid I'll have to decline and go about my b--*sounds of stabbing* UM THIS IS CLEARLY NOT SELF DEFENSE ARE YOU AWARE YOUR ACTIONS ARE ILLEGAL????"

If they are reaching out to militias...One of which boasts a membership comprised mostly of cops, I might add...Then they aren't planning on doing this through legislation. They're just going to keep up their pattern of doing whatever they want, and ignoring/assaulting anyone who protests. Since the CiC is currently part of the coup, the military will either follow along, or be so busy with foreign (GOP-created, I might add) campaigns that they can't really do anything to stop it.

To borrow from Paul "He Feeds Me Dog Food" Ryan's meth-addled waifu, "The question isn't who's going to let them, it's who's going to stop them?"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It would be really funny if in 2020 Trump won the popular vote but lost the EC.

Millions of illegal electoral college votes!

TGLT posted:

Hard to say, as read yes, but you can bend anything to fit any particular sort of nebulous thing with liberal interpretation

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think that would be funny. The only thing that would be funny about Trump in 2020 is if he went out to do his concession speech and Bud Dwyer's, but first sprays his own crowd. That would be hilarious.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

It boggles my mind that people keep saying "There's no legal mechanism for them do this!"...No offense, but I kinda want to see one of you get mugged. ":smuggo: Excuse me, but there is no legal means by which you can take my money, so I'm afraid I'll have to decline and go about my b--*sounds of stabbing* UM THIS IS CLEARLY NOT SELF DEFENSE ARE YOU AWARE YOUR ACTIONS ARE ILLEGAL????"

While your analogy is incredibly loving dumb, one thing is true of both scenarios: there are consequences. A mugger goes to jail. Suspending the Constitution results in civil war.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/869526388721766400
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/869370103846105088
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/869363470399045632
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/869557697624014848
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/869548038657847296
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/869541716067586048

And for a laugh

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/869568548456329216

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TGLT posted:

That seems open to interpretation. The way it is worded does seem to cover plain incompetence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Geez, folks. Its Monday and Trump has already tweeted and fired people. Can we shelf the "elections won't happen!" and "Zuckerberg is our salvation!" nonsense until next weekend? Its like 3 hours from Spicey Time. We're back on the real insane news cycle schedule.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
None of this poo poo is funny, at all.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Rick Wilson had a pretty interesting take on Dubke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/869541226227412993

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It wouldn't be funny if trump won the popular vote but lost the ec because that wouldn't be the shattering defeat of trumpism we're going to need to regain any credibility on the international stage. Which also might require public floggings of Republican Senators who collaborated, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think that would be funny. The only thing that would be funny about Trump in 2020 is if he went out to do his concession speech and Bud Dwyer's, but first sprays his own crowd. That would be hilarious.

To be fair, Trump voters getting shot is just funny no matter what the context.

Drone posted:

While your analogy is incredibly loving dumb, one thing is true of both scenarios: there are consequences. A mugger goes to jail. Suspending the Constitution results in civil war.

LMAO Drone calling someone dumb. What a loving world.

Ah, yes, the consequences, like when a GOP politician literally chokeslammed and pummeled a member of the press. I recall how he was immediately given 2 years for the act.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Geez, folks. Its Monday and Trump has already tweeted and fired people. Can we shelf the "elections won't happen!" and "Zuckerberg is our salvation!" nonsense until next weekend? Its like 3 hours from Spicey Time. We're back on the real insane news cycle schedule.

tuesday, but whatevs

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mozi posted:

None of this poo poo is funny, at all.
We're living in more of a horror movie than a comedy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

I think you underestimate Trump's ability to distort reality so that he will, in fact, have won, even in defeat. He'll be a pissy little bitch baby loser, whine and moan about illegal votes, etc. etc., but he'll leave and go back to his penthouse. He likes being a reality star with no responsibilities too much. Even in the VERY unlikely scenario where he barricades himself inside Fort Kickass and refuses to leave, he can't stop the Electoral College certifying his opponent as the winner, and the military can and will forcibly remove him. Remember, they planned for this during Nixon.

Would not put it past them to trash the West Wing offices, though.
Oh yeah, he totally would be forcibly removed from the white house. Nobody would tolerate that poo poo.

But if we're assuming he's that delusional, then maybe he doesn't even run in 2020, claiming he already made America great again and his work here is done.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evilweasel posted:

It wouldn't be funny if trump won the popular vote but lost the ec because that wouldn't be the shattering defeat of trumpism we're going to need to regain any credibility on the international stage. Which also might require public floggings of Republican Senators who collaborated, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Gotta ignore the greater implications and focus on the fact that he would frame and hang the vote count in his home (which would not be the white house) next to his EC map from 2016.

Nothing is funny right now if you really think about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I don't think that the kind of defeat of Trump's evil that we will need to avoid the oncoming civil war is something that can happen with the way our politics are now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

tuesday, but whatevs

Ok, I blame that one on me unplugging most of the weekend to enjoy life. Apparently a little too much.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Oh yeah, he totally would be forcibly removed from the white house. Nobody would tolerate that poo poo.

But if we're assuming he's that delusional, then maybe he doesn't even run in 2020, claiming he already made America great again and his work here is done.

There are plenty of people that say it's a good thing that he colluded with Russians to gain power, don't underestimate the peoples willingness to follow a strong man who has successfully directed their hate at some minority.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't think Trump will be impeached but I think it's very possible he's not going to be in a state in three years where he can be giving his rallies and not look like a wreck. His core will have their brains replace him with 90's era Arnold Schwarzenegger but it's not going to look that way for everyone else.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

mcmagic posted:

I guess I'll feel better about this if the Dems win in GA but I'm worried that many voters are just going to tune Trump out if nothing really happens and the GOP will keep the house in 18 just because people aren't able to sustain their outrage and don't turn out for midterms like they usually don't.

This is the most likely scenario, with the Democrats also losing ground in the Senate. I also don't have the optimism some have about 2020. Whoever the Democrats run in 2020 will be a candidate that likely only excites one wing of the party, and they are going to run on a platform of increasing taxes, increasing regulation, and taking a more conciliatory tone when dealing with the rest of the world. I think we are in for one party rule until 2022 at the earliest.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CyberPingu posted:

Some guy did a video a while back where their isnt even a regulation on how accurate the calorie count needed to be. So he went around and found that like Starbucks muffins (i think it was SB) had almost double the calories that they had on their board

link? from a person tasked with implementing this law at the operations level, this sounds like bullshit.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

There are plenty of people that say it's a good thing that he colluded with Russians to gain power, don't underestimate the peoples willingness to follow a strong man who has successfully directed their hate at some minority.
Conservatives are served well by the status quo, not by the absolute riots that would break out if a president refused to follow the will of the people. He may have backing from the MAGA crowd, but he'd have no party support and obviously no national support since he lost the election. He'd be arrested in a heartbeat.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

This is the most likely scenario, with the Democrats also losing ground in the Senate. I also don't have the optimism some have about 2020. Whoever the Democrats run in 2020 will be a candidate that likely only excites one wing of the party, and they are going to run on a platform of increasing taxes, increasing regulation, and taking a more conciliatory tone when dealing with the rest of the world. I think we are in for one party rule until 2022 at the earliest.

A cardboard cutout is neck-and-neck in GA-06 right now. You're underestimating how much people want to vote against Republicans at the moment.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mcmagic posted:

That seems open to interpretation. The way it is worded does seem to cover plain incompetence.

Is "unable to discharge" not "is really bad at doing it." Which is why the president can counter that they have "no inability" because it's about health, mental or physical, and not really about job performance. It would have to be one hell of an interpretive dance to justify invoking the 25th because he isn't very good at presidenting. Dude's already making GBS threads all over the emoluments clause, there's no reason to stretch amendments to mean something they pretty plainly don't.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Conservatives are served well by the status quo, not by the absolute riots that would break out if a president refused to follow the will of the people. He may have backing from the MAGA crowd, but he'd have no party support and obviously no national support since he lost the election. He'd be arrested in a heartbeat.

I'm sure he'd be stopped but I'm not entirely sure that after a year or two of this mess we are in that he wouldn't at least try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

skylined! posted:

link? from a person tasked with implementing this law at the operations level, this sounds like bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE2lna5Wxuo

• Locked thread