Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This happened to me a bunch last night and so I started stepping up and using super moves as counter. Can't block poo poo if you're in recovery frames :smug:

Yeah, I'm coming from a similar place, so here's my take on it:

The guild stuff isn't as rigorous as an MMO, it's basically "sign up for lootboxes, play the game and everyone gets more loot boxes." Like, even single player multiverse will contribute to the guild points, and you shouldn't feel like there's an obligation to fulfill. Nothing really requires major coordination except the bosses, I think.
Even with the all the great single player stuff (and perhaps because of it) fighting games still basically are "make your own fun" kinds of things. For me, the vague goal I'm setting for myself is getting competent enough at this that I can follow things when watching competitive play, which in turn helps me get better, etc. etc.
I think people say that the average multiplayer match is easier than the high-level AI because the AI just reads your inputs, so don't feel bad if you get stomped, there's definitely some randomness to things where you will get completely owned and then you come back and they fall for spamming the same move twenty times
I got my first level 20 character by taking Wonder Woman through that movie Multiverse event plus some guild stuff. Half of it was having the AI run through the towers, and half of it was jumping in and fighting just because it was fun. It took about four hours, I'd say, to go from level 5 to level 20.

Great info and thanks much for the insight. I can see the idea of "make your own fun" being a key part of it and I have been having fun with it. I still had a nagging thought, as I felt my way through it, that I was missing something but maybe I wasn't. I started watching some of those competitive events and I am actually sort of following what is going on. Surely I don't get many of the subtleties but last week, it all would have been lost on me. I worry that I see literally no one picking Green Arrow. Maybe I shouldn't have picked my favorite fighter based on the quality of the snarky one-liners in the intro and outros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
There is a specific 'Guild Multiverse' that is accessed through the guild page. Typically it has 5-6 events of varying difficulty (Don't believe the stated difficulty on the front of the event, you'll have to play it to see) that require 10-30 completions to clear, with every guild member's individual completions counting towards the total goal.

Once you clear it, the following happens:

-Everybody in the guild gets a bunch of loot boxes/guild credits
-A 'tier 2' guild multiverse spawns, which works the same way as the first one, but is slightly harder and has better rewards
-The guild gains a guild multiverse buff: The last two times we completed tier 1 we received a buff that caused us to take 50% less damage from all attacks when doing guild multiverse events. This actually makes the tier 2 multiverse easier than the tier 1, since your hp is effectively doubled.

There seem to be 3 tiers total, and our goal is to complete the tier 3 multiverse at least once, just to say we did. To this end, we were looking to get people into one guild who would actually work specifically on the guild multiverse.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
How do you get the AI to run towers for you? and does that also work for guild multiverse stuff?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jaik3n posted:

How do you get the AI to run towers for you? and does that also work for guild multiverse stuff?

Press the loadout button (Square on PS4, presumably X on Xbox) and choose one of your AI loadouts.

It doesn't work on guild multiverse.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jaik3n posted:

Not sure about guild multiverse but just pick the AI loadout when selecting your character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm thinking of expanding the OP with a dumbfuck take on all the characters and their basic gameplay, which is suited for what style you like or who you should pick if you're a psycopath with a cat fetish, etc etc. Nothing crazy in-depth with frame datas but something extra so you can tell which characters are good to start with or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

he1ixx posted:

Great info and thanks much for the insight. I can see the idea of "make your own fun" being a key part of it and I have been having fun with it. I still had a nagging thought, as I felt my way through it, that I was missing something but maybe I wasn't. I started watching some of those competitive events and I am actually sort of following what is going on. Surely I don't get many of the subtleties but last week, it all would have been lost on me. I worry that I see literally no one picking Green Arrow. Maybe I shouldn't have picked my favorite fighter based on the quality of the snarky one-liners in the intro and outros.

From my experience, chasing tier lists only leads to heartbreak. The competitive pros are taking advantage of marginal differences with characters that more... developmental... players like us can't take advantage of as much, so it's not like picking a "meta" character will magically make us better. The most important decision for your main is who you think is the coolest (which is why it's so difficult for me)...

If you're still learning, I definitely thought reading this book helped me understand what the hell fighting games are all about : From Masher to Master: The Educated Video Game Enthusiast’s Fighting Game Primer. The game it uses for its examples is Street Fighter but all the basic tactics and strategies are universal to fighting games. While grinding through a bunch of Wonder Woman matches, it felt pretty good when things clicked and I was learning stuff, like being able to see when the opponent was jumping in and instantly hitting down and triangle to anti-air, or "Oh, so that's what it feels like to whiff punish because I saw the opponent's attack and consciously reacted, instead of me randomly attacking and getting lucky"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Jimmy Hats posted:

There is a specific 'Guild Multiverse' that is accessed through the guild page. Typically it has 5-6 events of varying difficulty (Don't believe the stated difficulty on the front of the event, you'll have to play it to see) that require 10-30 completions to clear, with every guild member's individual completions counting towards the total goal.

Once you clear it, the following happens:

-Everybody in the guild gets a bunch of loot boxes/guild credits
-A 'tier 2' guild multiverse spawns, which works the same way as the first one, but is slightly harder and has better rewards
-The guild gains a guild multiverse buff: The last two times we completed tier 1 we received a buff that caused us to take 50% less damage from all attacks when doing guild multiverse events. This actually makes the tier 2 multiverse easier than the tier 1, since your hp is effectively doubled.

There seem to be 3 tiers total, and our goal is to complete the tier 3 multiverse at least once, just to say we did. To this end, we were looking to get people into one guild who would actually work specifically on the guild multiverse.

Yea, join Goon Squad! Put SA reference in your message. We're gonna complete tier 3, THIS week! We have 3 spots.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Game seems fun from the first few chapters of story mode and I didn't see any obvious lag in unranked other than someone raging back to the main OS during a fight.

Also the game has all frame data available in the move list? It's almost like the developers don't want me trawling the rear end end of the internet or buying a Prima guide to learn what my buttons do :swoon:

edit - Do the attributes attached to gear actually do anything for gameplay against other people online? I saw a "competitive mode" button in some random menu that I don't know how I activated, would that disable that stuff in unranked?

FallenGod fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 30, 2017

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

DLC Inc posted:

I'm thinking of expanding the OP with a dumbfuck take on all the characters and their basic gameplay, which is suited for what style you like or who you should pick if you're a psycopath with a cat fetish, etc etc. Nothing crazy in-depth with frame datas but something extra so you can tell which characters are good to start with or something.

This is relevant to my interests.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FallenGod posted:

Game seems fun from the first few chapters of story mode and I didn't see any obvious lag in unranked other than someone raging back to the main OS during a fight.

Also the game has all frame data available in the move list? It's almost like the developers don't want me trawling the rear end end of the internet or buying a Prima guide to learn what my buttons do :swoon:

edit - Do the attributes attached to gear actually do anything for gameplay against other people online? I saw a "competitive mode" button in some random menu that I don't know how I activated, would that disable that stuff in unranked?

Ranked matches automatically disable all gear. Unranked matches, by default, allow gear effects unless you both agree to competitive mode. If one person picks competitive and the other doesn't, gear will still be in effect

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DLC Inc posted:

who you should pick if you're a psycopath with a cat fetish

I like that this can apply to no less than three characters in this game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Injustice 2: Cats Among Us

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Fun speculation about Red Hood based on the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QsQSfqIwys

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FallenGod posted:

Yeah, you can hit Square after both players have selected a character in Player Match to turn on Competitive mode, which makes the game play functionally identical to Ranked mode.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
My aim is to get the AI to level all characters to 20 as I watch films and then play online not knowing what half the moves are whilst drunk.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Can my AI be total scrubs and still win their matches or should I get them up to a certain level first?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you follow the level recommendations of the tower they should reliably win as long as a modifier isn't too crippling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I put my AI Wonder Woman straight out of story into the multiverse with no gear and she was killing folks while still having 90% of her first health bar

Edit: Yeah, some modifiers will randomly screw you, like the one where matches are ten seconds long, but otherwise your AI will hold its own at the least and most likely dominate

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AI Superfriends who are zoners or have zoning options murk Multiverse towers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I put my AI Wonder Woman straight out of story into the multiverse with no gear and she was killing folks while still having 90% of her first health bar

TFW when level 1 meatsims are way better at the game than you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Giedroyc posted:

My aim is to get the AI to level all characters to 20 as I watch films and then play online not knowing what half the moves are whilst drunk.

hello fellow garbage person

(I am playing my faves but yea, sorry Green Lantern and Bane and poo poo, you dorks are getting AI grinding)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

exquisite tea posted:

Can my AI be total scrubs and still win their matches or should I get them up to a certain level first?

My level 12 Wonder Woman absolutely housed the level 20 boss Cheetah in the movie gear multiverse event, but my level 14 Harley couldn't beat a level 20 Deadshot, so it varies. Gear seems to play a major factor in getting the AI to punch above its weight.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

he1ixx posted:

I worry that I see literally no one picking Green Arrow. Maybe I shouldn't have picked my favorite fighter based on the quality of the snarky one-liners in the intro and outros.

Green Arrow is almost certainly not top tier, but he's got stuff. Here's some basics that I hope you find helpful:
-Your normal arrows do less damage on hit than most projectiles do on block; that doesn't mean they're useless, but try to keep special arrows loaded whenever possible. Finding combos that end by canceling into loading arrows will help a lot here.
-Holding 4 and jumping backward is a great option, you put space between you and your opponent can fire a straight arrow if they jump or an overhead downward arrow if they try to move forward.
-Ice arrow will be your go-to most of the time because it threatens the most damage, try to learn a basic b3 combo that you can do off that freeze. If you're feeling particularly confidant in your zoning for a particular matchup then the 3-at-a-time fire arrows can be useful, but stay away from the electric ones until you have specific combos for them.
-F2d13 is fast, forward moving, and hits mid-low-overhead, use it often. It can also be canceled at any point, so if they do start blocking it then hit them with a low ice arrow instead of the overhead!
-Your d1 is an amazing fast poke, long reach and you can combo off it if you have an ice arrow stocked. You can also cancel to db2 for a safe way to get some space or just do a couple d1's in a row to see how they react. Once your opponent is respecting these options you can get cheeky and go for the f2 string, a jump back overhead arrow, or just throw.
-Bf3 is your invincible wakeup, it can also catch people off guard as a long range low. Meterburn it for a low-overhead, it's not difficult to block if they know it's coming but it's a great surprise to close out a round. It's unsafe on block though, so however you use it, don't overuse it.

I haven't actually been to training mode with him in this game yet, but my BnB combo right now is freeze into b3 j3 223 load arrow. For some reason I have a hell of a time canceling into load ice arrow, get a normal arrow shot instead, but canceling into loading fire arrows works every time. I'll need to do some debugging to figure out why, but the exact combo you do isn't super important, just something that's reliable for you.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DLC Inc posted:

Who has the undisputed worst gear so far? Cyborg is def in the running, all his lovely armor pieces look alike. Firestorm has some boring pieces, Grodd def has some stupid looking poo poo. I would have preferred if his unique gear was gauntlets instead of that dumb horn.
Disagree on Cyborg only because they gave him a Varia Suit color scheme.
Cheetah seems worst because she is just the worst character in the game anyway and all her poo poo is just bones, leather, and more bones and more leather. She and Grodd I think are the only level 1s I have right now. I've rarely ever cared for animal heroes, even before I knew what furries were.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Green Arrow's d2 and jumping 2 have an absolutely MASSIVE range, which is awesome. Plus 112+ meter burn hurricane bow is a great juggle set up.

I actually like Green Arrow quite a bit. He's not top tier, but he's a lot of fun to play.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Lightning arrows actually rule hard since they travel really fast and can beat out other zoner's shots.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Of course the most important tip for any Green Arrow player is to equip the baseball cap/chin guard headpiece that covers his goatee (but not his mustache) as soon as it becomes available so that you can be World's Angriest Softball Dad.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
All of Black Canary's gear looks the same but she's my fave so far. I'm awful at fighting games but I've managed to figure out a few combos on my own (not just following the listed ones) with her - all of her attacks seem to flow together so well. I'm also levelling Supergirl because I like her but she seems a lot harder to combo with as a complete scrub.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Disagree on Cyborg only because they gave him a Varia Suit color scheme.
Cheetah seems worst because she is just the worst character in the game anyway and all her poo poo is just bones, leather, and more bones and more leather. She and Grodd I think are the only level 1s I have right now. I've rarely ever cared for animal heroes, even before I knew what furries were.

I wouldn't say Cheetah is the worst by a longshot, her combos and rushdown can be loving disgusting. Give her more time, more people might main her in the future.

I like Captain Cold but so much of his poo poo is negative on block and has almost zero combos, it's disheartening that he's kind of a low tier pick for anything. Deadshot and Doctor Fate are better at zoning/traps, it seems, and they both have better combos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BinaryDoubts posted:

All of Black Canary's gear looks the same but she's my fave so far. I'm awful at fighting games but I've managed to figure out a few combos on my own (not just following the listed ones) with her - all of her attacks seem to flow together so well. I'm also levelling Supergirl because I like her but she seems a lot harder to combo with as a complete scrub.

Out of curiosity, what combos are you focusing on with her? I've only played a couple hours so far in practice but I have a really hard time getting her MB Canary Drop to land, and that seems to be absolutely essential to most of her longer chains.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BinaryDoubts posted:

There seems to be a ton of variations on the body suit but the jacket mostly covers it up.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man robin really does poo poo damage huh

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Empress Brosephine posted:

Man robin really does poo poo damage huh

I mean, it's fuckboi Damian

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is there a way to set your own multiverse modifiers while dicking around in single matches?

I got the full armor effect in an Atrocitus vs Swamp Thing multiverse and I just kinda want to watch those two hosses push into each other for awhile longer.

Also blackout and the one which makes the level tilt like its on a ship at sea both just give me a headache.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 30, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DLC Inc posted:

That would be Cool and Good, and also some other basic information, like an explanation of the button jargon? Like what people mean when they say poo poo like "b3 j3 223", which I'm guessing is "back+heavy, jump+heavy, medium, medium, heavy"?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone actually use more than one loadout

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does anyone actually use more than one loadout

well there's the premiere skins

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007