Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
The great thing about those lamps is that if you're eating a sandwich that lacks salt because you suck at making sandwiches you can just rub it on the lamp. Life hacked!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hang on so if I make a lamp out of seaweed from Tampa bay, then that will ____________ the entire room because Tampa bay.

???

Am I doing this right? Is this how this works? Doesn't seem that crazy to me to be honest?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It needs to be from the mystical portion of Tampa Bay, but yes. Go find a hippie beach.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo, I'm not saying Himalayan salt bricks purify anything, I'm just saying that with enough wattage in your lamp you can make the most delicious Kale chips you've ever chomped on.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Turtlicious posted:

Yo, I'm not saying Himalayan salt bricks purify anything, I'm just saying that with enough wattage in your lamp you can make the most delicious Kale chips you've ever chomped on.

But only if you coat everything in coconut oil first.
And I don't mean the kale or the lamp. Everything. Coat the world in coconut oil.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Seaweed lacks the healing properties of crystals you loving dunce!

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Rysithusiku posted:

But only if you coat everything in coconut oil first.
And I don't mean the kale or the lamp. Everything. Coat the world in coconut oil.

I will say though, coconut oil as a substitute for vegetable oil works great in this breadmaker white bread recipe that I found.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
lifehack: don't lick those salt lamps to see if they are salty. They are coated in a resin in order to make them stand up for any time period at all. remove the resin and watch as your lamp will slowly dissolve and turn white as the moisture evaporates.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fozzie Bear posted:

lifehack: don't lick those salt lamps to see if they are salty. They are coated in a resin in order to make them stand up for any time period at all. remove the resin and watch as your lamp will slowly dissolve and turn white as the moisture evaporates.
Lifehack: coat your salt lamp in a layer of table salt so when your idiot friends lick your lamp you can laugh at them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fozzie Bear posted:

Awesome. The entire premise of those lamps is that salt is hygroscopic and that's how it absorbs the evil out of the air.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You haven't seen much evil out of Carthage lately have you? Hell if I ever saw an evil salt shaker

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Taking over the world. One case of hypertension at a time.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Several years ago I went to cover a home products show for the newspaper, and they had bricks of pink salt meant for cooking on -- put it on the stove, heat it up, and throw a steak on it. I don't recall any mystical properties being ascribed to it, just that it was easy to clean, and supposedly naturally adds the exact right amount of salt to the food.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Salt can get hot as gently caress too, it has a ridiculously high melting point. No idea how practical it is to cook on though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Probably has similar thermal qualities as stone plus adding salty​ flavour.
On the other hand: stone is cheap/free and doesn't melt away gradually.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Probably has similar thermal qualities as stone plus adding salty​ flavour.
On the other hand: stone is cheap/free and doesn't melt away gradually.

It's also probably easier to clean

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Nah you clean a stone by rubbing off whatever sticks, but nothing sticks to salt because the surface just dissolves off. I guess? ...why doesn't the whole fucker just behave like a starship with xenomorph goop on it once you slap that steak on?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a Himalayan salt brick, and I don't think it dies anything special but I like to serve ceviche in a Himalayan salt bowl which is just a bowl carved out of the brick. It's good fot cooking.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Karate Bastard posted:

Nah you clean a stone by rubbing off whatever sticks, but nothing sticks to salt because the surface just dissolves off. I guess? ...why doesn't the whole fucker just behave like a starship with xenomorph goop on it once you slap that steak on?

Surface area. It is one solid piece, so the moisture only reacts with the outer layer of molecules. And if you heat up the salt to sizzling temp before adding the meat, the meat itself should seal pretty quickly.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This is all well and good, but how do I hack a salt block into an air purifierwhatevermajig while simultaneously using it as a cooking surface?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

its all nice on rice posted:

This is all well and good, but how do I hack a salt block into an air purifierwhatevermajig while simultaneously using it as a cooking surface?

A hair dryer, two hot dog buns, and half a tennis ball. You do have to constantly replace the hot dog buns, though.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Butcher an old microwave and re-coil the transformer to have just one loop on the secondary. Depending on what transformer your microwave has you may have to get a new cable. You'll​ want a cable that fits nice and snug, partly because it looks better, and partly because your purifier will create a lot of overtones when you turn it on. You don't want things shaking loose, or it won't work! Then connect the loose ends of your secondary to the edges of your Himalayan salt crystal (use coarse salt if you can't get hold of a pure one!! Be sure to hook it up one grain at a time though...). Submerge in something flammable (like essential oil of lavender; available by the jug at wal-mart :wonk:) and flip the switch! Room purified in a flash!

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 17:21 on May 28, 2017

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
Please forgive me the watermark.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Out of Band II posted:

Please forgive me the watermark.

it's funny because kale is for hippies and so is coconut oil!

ha ha!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yawgmoth posted:

ha ha!

This but un-sarcastically.

Coconut oil and kale suck rear end, and I've eaten kale since I was a child. It was for broke people to get greens back then, but just like quinoa it's been hyped up as some kind of wonder superfood.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Yawgmoth posted:

ha ha!

Lol looks like it touched a nerve

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

silence_kit posted:

Lol looks like it touched a nerve
Eh, it's just another lazy stab at people who like foods other than french fries and ketchup.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I like kale and bacon. That averages put to nothing, right?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Movie theater popcorn is made using coconut oil :ssh:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Movie theater popcorn is made using coconut oil :ssh:

Nobody can afford movie theater popcorn it's just there for the atmosphere.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Kale is the worst green by far.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Kale is the worst green by far.

What is the best green?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WrenP-Complete posted:

What is the best green?

British Racing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

WrenP-Complete posted:

What is the best green?

collard greens

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^
5^

WrenP-Complete posted:

What is the best green?

Collards.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

What is the best green?

Mustard then maybe spinach.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turnip greens are also better than kale.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I had some baked beet greens that were pretty good. Definitely better than kale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WrenP-Complete posted:

What is the best green?

:2bong: