Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ArbitraryC posted:

When I first heard about love languages it sorta made sense, like different relationships have different dynamics and people express/receive affection in different ways, but every time I end up seeing it used in some r/relationship post it just seems to be someone trying to justify lovely behavior.

So it's basically just like "triggering" and "gaslighting" then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
To clarify, I know those are both things and they happen. But the way that the internet sometimes stretches them to the breaking point.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Yeah it's exactly like that, or calling someone controlling and abusive for breaking up with you when you book a flight to amsterdam to gently caress your ex behind their back. Just a buzzword that people think magically changes the situation so they're the goodguy.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fruit on the bottom posted:

To clarify, I know those are both things and they happen. But the way that the internet sometimes stretches them to the breaking point.

Seems so!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Danaru posted:

Is there a word for someone who gets off on the idea of their partner cheating on them?

An unfortunately common one, but I believe it's gendered male. The mental state of a woman who's being being cheated on wasn't important enough to merit its own words I guess.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Doc Hawkins posted:

An unfortunately common one, but I believe it's gendered male. The mental state of a woman who's being being cheated on wasn't important enough to merit its own words I guess.

it's cuckquean, god bless

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Charles Get-Out posted:

I agree, but they also continued to smoke indoors. They only smoked outdoors when he was obviously around.

I'm a little surprised the asthmatic grandma was able to stay there even in the off season, cause the way she presents it her realtives smoked constantly in just about every room.

Ofc, they also got mad that he didn't spend time with them, which is sort of a catch 22.

This is a good interpretive framework for these stories.

I didn't get from the story. It sounds like an hey were smoking on th the porch. They were a little inconsiderate by not closing the door. I haven't smokd in years but I probably would have gone a little farther than the porch if I knew it was bothering someone, barring heavy rain or something. I still don't think that the boyfriend is being reasonable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

it's cuckquean, god bless

And I suppose the female form of "bull" is "cow"? :rolleye:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

for people who were brought up that gifts and favors represent debts to be repaid a tremendous volume of unasked and unwanted favors basically amounts to a shakedown, and she's literally keeping a running tab of what he 'owes' her down to the gallon of gas so that's clearly how it's intended

didn't expect to see why I don't exchange gifts with the family except for xmas itt.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Doc Hawkins posted:

Fool

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

therobit posted:

I didn't get from the story. It sounds like an hey were smoking on th the porch. They were a little inconsiderate by not closing the door. I haven't smokd in years but I probably would have gone a little farther than the porch if I knew it was bothering someone, barring heavy rain or something. I still don't think that the boyfriend is being reasonable.

considering he was exposed to the smoke several times and didn't have any tangible reaction other than being grossed out my verdict would be that he's a baby that needs to sack up. I don't smoke and was super glad when places started banning indoor smoke but if I'm visiting family or friends or whatever in their own home and they wanna chainsmoke, you just put up with it. After a bit i feel like you don't even notice the smell much until you go back out to get some fresh air. Really the worst part is it gets stuck to your clothes.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

yeah but that awesome gf isnt giving her bf slapchops and cookiemasters; she's handwriting notes on why she thinks he's awesome or why she loves him or a myriad of other self-esteem building bullshit.

I get that that's what she thinks she's doing, and just for the record I agree. Dude sounds like a black hole and, if everything is working like she thinks it is, she can obviously do better and it's sort of a mystery why she hasn't.

This is Reddit, though, so I don't trust that she's got a great read on her own behavior. The smart money says they're both brokebrained, and for me it's more fun to guess how than it is to imagine that she's just spent years rationalizing her way back into a relationship with someone who treats her like a piece of furniture.

Actually, nevermind. Both possibilities seem equally fun. I guess I'm down for either.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

therobit posted:

I still don't think that the boyfriend is being reasonable.

I don't disagree with that, frankly if it bothers him that much/he's that sensitive he should've been clued in not to go as soon as his GF mentioned there are multiple people who smoke heavily in and around the house.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

Certh ew pop?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The whole concept of 'love language' should be pretty obvious for anyone who's had a minimum of one healthy relationship, which is why people soliciting reddit for advice think it's some sort of magic secret to unlock.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't disagree with that, frankly if it bothers him that much/he's that sensitive he should've been clued in not to go as soon as his GF mentioned there are multiple people who smoke heavily in and around the house.

I think he expected them to be less obnoxious about it, as many smokers are

I 16f noticed my mom 36f and dad 37m live a very different life from my friends parents (40+ m/f). My dad is the only one who can take me to a birthday party (where parents stay) and unsure how to ask him to tone down the way he acts/behaves?

quote:

So my dad grew up really wealthy and has never worked a day in his life since high school. He spends most of his time laying around playing video games with my younger brother 14m and as he jokes making babies with my mother. He has a few hours of the day 1-2 where he locks himself in his office and spends time to himself. my mom always has different explanation as to why he does this "he needs time to himself, he has work to do, he is talking to family." When he doesn't get this time he is very agitated and is off for the whole day. My dad is also very dodgy about his parents who live only a few towns over and who we are not allowed to mention or ask to meet because my dad gets extremely agitated and angry when we do.

My mom is a helicopter mom and constantly makes sure that me and my two siblings 14m and 13f are doing our homework, keeping up with studies and socializing with friends. None of us go to private schools our dad insisted public school were fine and even bought a house in a town with a good public schoolthat we barely ever go to. Whenever I want to hang out with friends we must hang at that house and I cannot bring them to the house we actually live in because "it's private."

In the past when my friends dad's have tried talking to my dad even go out of their way to invite my dad to "hang out" my dad tends to make up excuses and dodge interacting with anyone. One time my close friends dad was just trying to have a conversation and my dad cut him off and told him "this conversation isn't going anywhere and I have a lot of important stuff to do" he proceeded to just get into the car and leave. I felt awkward the rest of the day and came up with some half lie about how much work he has (he doesn't even work!)

I'm just really worried about an issue happening at this party most of my friends parents seem to get along really well while my parents seem to seclude themselves. My mom is much mor social and outgoing and she says my dad is as well but his attitude seems to show otherwise.
Kid, your dad's Batman.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 30, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
cuckette?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Smoking allergic boyfriend is very passive aggressive.

The solution is for everyone involved to kill themselves because I'm having a bad day.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

ArbitraryC posted:

When I first heard about love languages it sorta made sense, like different relationships have different dynamics and people express/receive affection in different ways, but every time I end up seeing it used in some r/relationship post it just seems to be someone trying to justify lovely behavior.

I think it's because you're supposed to care about the other person's "love language", not your own. You should adapt to showing affection in a way that will be best appreciated by them as opposed to justifying lovely behavior by saying "that's just my love language". The moment you make it about your preference is the moment you missed the point. (Though the other person should at least make an effort to be appreciative if you spontaneously express affection in a way that comes naturally to you but they might not care for that much.)

I can't discard the idea of "love languages" outright because my grandma loves to give gifts lavishly, often and at lengths that make her grandchildren kinda uncomfortable, particularly because she seems to want to go beyond her means, and she's pretty insistent about it. I care little for having fancy things, I'll hurt grandma's fellings by asking for utilitarian stuff like kitchen tools or yet another book because that's not "special", and she doesn't seem to be able to wrap her head around the fact that I don't feel particularly loved when being pressured into coming up with something I'd want so I just try to indulge her every now and then.

It's a good illustration of what I was saying above because without any malice or carelessness she gets it precisely wrong. She'll say "well, I want to show you how much I love you and that's how I do it" but she'd benefit from realizing that if her goal is to make that love really felt on some hindbrain level as opposed to consciously going "grandma is being nice to me, she loves me" she'd get much better results doing it in some way her grandkids best understand.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

He never will. He never cared that much. He doesn't even talk to his mother so I don't see where I would have ever made the grade.

I'll take the bait.

A guy's relationship with his mother is going to be some funhouse mirror version of his relationship with you, and so the overwhelming odds are that a guy who can't talk to his mom will make a relentlessly lovely partner.

You'd be better off with dishwasher guy or, I don't know, any one of the Big Bang Theory second-stringers you've Tindered out of Portland's upside-down.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
I dunno, it's pretty frequent that a guy's mom behaves badly towards the son's girlfriend or at least poo poo-talks the girlfriend behind her back because she's not good enough for mom's golden boy or whatever. I'd say being a momma's boy is a much bigger red flag than not having an overly close relationship with your parents.

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 30, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A true mommas boy is a poison worse than "isnt the warmest to his mother"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SaltyJesus posted:

I dunno, it's pretty frequent that a guy's mom behaves badly towards her son's girlfriend or at least poo poo-talks the girlfriend behind her back because she's not good enough for mom's golden boy or whatever. I'd say being a momma's boy is a much bigger red flag than not having an overly close relationship with your parents.

or mommy dearest could just be incredibly hard to live with, or any number of things that could vary from one relationship between two humans to another, but don't let that stop Oedipus here

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
Nap Ghost

SaltyJesus posted:

I dunno, it's pretty frequent that a guy's mom behaves badly towards her son's girlfriend or at least poo poo-talks the girlfriend behind her back because she's not good enough for her golden boy or whatever. I'd say being a momma's boy is a much bigger red flag than not having an overly close relationship with your parents.

This guy still talks to his mom. Would it kill you to call every once in a while?

quote:

My [26M] mother [50sF] has been disrespectful to me and my wife [23F] after we lost our child

submitted 1 year ago * by vetoxan

Hey, Reddit.

My wife (we'll call her Mori) and I have been married for two years now. We've lived together for four years, and we've been together for nearly six years. I love her with all of my heart and have no doubt that she's the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with.

A few months ago, we made a little bit of a happy accident, and Mori was pregnant. Despite it being a surprise, we were both excited about it. We had plans to start a family in the near future anyways, so our timeline just got bumped up a bit. Mori has always had what I like to call the "mother gene." She's amazing with kids and she adores them. She worked part-time as a lifeguard/swimming instructor at our community center and she loved every minute she spent working there, mostly because she got to teach children how to swim. She's just awesome with little kids, so I had no doubt that she'd make a wonderful mother. We were both very, very excited (and maybe a tiny bit nervous) to be parents and start a new chapter of our lives together.

We announced the pregnancy to our families. Everyone was excited and supported us - except for my mother. She never liked Mori and the news made her even more bitter. She'd constantly give us passive-aggressive "tips" on parenting and would make rude comments/insults towards Mori. I told her to knock it off, she didn't. We stopped talking to my mother altogether. Not exactly no contact, but we purposely kept her out of most of the pregnancy talk, and I didn't go out of my way to contact her.

About four months into Mori's pregnancy, issues started to pop up. We found out just before Christmas that our child no longer had a heartbeat.

Mori was devastated. She cried for days and it broke my heart to see her in so much pain. It hurt me, too, but I tried my best to be strong and help Mori through her grief. We're scheduled to attend counseling in the next week or so.

Despite this, we decided to go visit my family like we usually did for Christmas. We told them the sad news, shared a few tears, and tried to make the best out of the holidays. It was hard, but being around family helped a lot.

My mother was present at Christmas dinner. She had to fly in from a different state, so she wasn't there until dinner.

She said that she heard the news (one of my brothers had texted her about it) and that she was sorry. Then she said, "but I doubt that Mori would've been that great of a mother anyways. Maybe you guys dodged a bullet! You two aren't ready for kids. Thank God."

Mori was shocked and burst into tears. I couldn't believe my own mother could be so insensitive and cruel after we'd literally just lost our child. I stood up and told her that I didn't want to talk to her anymore. She got angry and said that she was just "trying to make us feel better about the whole thing." Sure, you're totally making us feel so much better by saying Mori would be a horrible mother and thanking God that our child died.

Mori tried to convince me that it was okay and she was being oversensitive, but I assured her that no, she wasn't overreacting. I wasn't about to let my wife sit there and take that kind of poo poo after we'd been through something so traumatic.

I packed our things and we made the long drive home. I've been consoling Mori and we've been talking a lot about our feelings until we can get to the counselor.

My mother has tried to contact us and apologize, but I don't feel like listening to it right now. I'm not sure if I want to talk to my mother ever again, seeing how terrible she's been to me and my wife.

Would it be best to cut my mom out of my life? Should I listen to her apology and try to make amends? I don't want to make any snap decisions because I'm grieving right now and I might not be in the right state of mind to make decisions like this. Some outside opinions would really help.

Well, OK. Not by the end.

But people's relationships with their families are pretty good indicators of how well they handle long-term relationships in general, and while some minority of people are unrelentingly awful most of them are just heir to ordinary human frailty.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Did I ever tell you about the guy whose idea of a love language was that he wanted to be able to gently caress me at anytime, and in return he would occasionally load the dishwasher if we ever moved in together? Wow, a very precise love language

Haha. That also reminds me of the older story about this girl and her creepy rear end boyfriend who was touching her inappropriately at every free moment possible to the point that her vagina was sore (:gonk:) every other day. The insane clincher is some woman replies in the comments saying "I wish I were in your shoes because my boyfriend doesn't understand my love language of touch and doesn't touch me anywhere as much as I'd like" completely missing the point of OP's absurdly messed up story and then some.

While I'm sure using love languages to communicate ordinary, healthy desires is good and fine, I'm talking about nutty people on reddit who have no idea what ordinary or healthy means in their stupid lives. That's where the issue lies. There's also the whole impression I get that love languages are the most basic tenants of how a reasonably decent relationship functions on a day-to-day basis and you don't need to communicate them if you're an alright, capable human being.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 30, 2017

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
Edit: sorry, posted with my butt.

For content, I've been looking at r/socialskills lately and it's full of gems! You just have to dig around the endless soul-sucking sadness to find them. But in between the :smith: accounts of these people's failure to find love and friendship you get this:

Bomrek fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 30, 2017

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

I 16f noticed my mom 36f and dad 37m live a very different life from my friends parents (40+ m/f). My dad is the only one who can take me to a birthday party (where parents stay) and unsure how to ask him to tone down the way he acts/behaves?
Reddit gives us so many opportunities to play "autistic or just an rear end in a top hat?"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

it's cuckquean and the bull is called a cuckcake. they're much rarer than make cucks but MUCH more intense about it. i knew a woman who had a chastity device permanently installed as part of her cuck fantasy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it's cuckquean and the bull is called a cuckcake. they're much rarer than make cucks but MUCH more intense about it. i knew a woman who had a chastity device permanently installed as part of her cuck fantasy.

This sounds like a joke but I believe it. Also I'm not googling it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
haha man remember back in college, we just had normal 3-ways?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Latest in r/theredpill shitposting

My fwb[19M] is in love with me, but I[21F] am not. I don't want the sex to end however. Is there a way I can convince him to continue sleeping with me in secret, but not be in a relationship?

quote:

I met this guy John at my school's running club. He's was confident, charming, and overall fun guy to be around. We exchanged numbers and continued to hang out until we ended up hooking up with each other. The sex was amazing and the best I've ever had and I've a had a fair share of sexual partners and consider myself a pretty experienced gal in bed. I wanted to sleep with him again, but I found out lots of things about him that completely shocked me.
First he told me that the hook up was the first sexual experience he's ever had. I had the best sex of my life with someone who was a virgin. I don't think I've ever been more shocked in my life. Not only that, but he's not the charming and suave guy I thought he was. It turns out he's pretty much a loser who spends a lot of his free time playing this computer game called league of legends. I talked to his friends also and they were shocked that we slept together. His friends said that John is a bumbling oaf when it comes to girls who are even moderately attractive. They were surprised that he could form a coherent sentence with me much less sleep with me.
I was surprised and a bit repulsed by all the new information I had just gotten. The sex was really good though so I slept with him again and the sex was just as good as the last time if not better. We've been loving like rabbits since then though I had some rules. The relationship was strictly casual and must be kept a secret. He told me he didn't want to be my dirty secret, but agreed to my terms none the less. Now things are a lot more complicated.
It's only been a few weeks since we've first hooked up(and we've only known each other for maybe 2-3 months) ,but he told me he thinks he has feelings for me. He told me he was tired of being kept a secret and wanted to start dating romantically. I told him I'd think about it. I don't want a romantic relationship with him, but the sex is amazing. Is there a way where I can continue to have sex with him in secret while not be romantically involved with him?should I tell him the truth and just end our relationship even though the sex is really good?
tl;dr:My fwb has feelings for me and wants to be involved romantically, but I don't. The sex is really good though so I don't want to lose him, but at the same time I don't want to date him either.**

Good dick will crowd control you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You get 3 bans, lady, make em count.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

haha man remember back in college, we just had normal 3-ways?

no :(

AmiYumi posted:

Reddit gives us so many opportunities to play "autistic or just an rear end in a top hat?"

see, that's boring, the game Reddit is playing is "YOUR DAD'S A DRUG DEALER AND HE'S GOING DOWN" or "here is a vivid description of all the ways your dad is masturbating every minute he's out of eyesight, 16-year-old"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 30, 2017

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

no :(

see, that's boring, the game Reddit is playing is "YOUR DAD'S A DRUG DEALER AND HE'S GOING DOWN" or "here is a vivid description of all the ways your dad is masturbating every minute he's out of eyesight, 16-year-old"

Although the mention of him "getting grumpy when he doesn't get his alone time" made me think he was maaaaaybe on drugs. I need my me time too, and it's probably not that at all, but it's what popped into my head.

The whole story with the two houses in the same city is pretty weird though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bamabalacha posted:

Although the mention of him "getting grumpy when he doesn't get his alone time" made me think he was maaaaaybe on drugs. I need my me time too, and it's probably not that at all, but it's what popped into my head.

I figure the second house is just in the appropriate school district.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Bamabalacha posted:

I thought the same exact thing, like he's in there smoking weed, or perhaps doing heroin.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Barudak posted:

You get 3 bans, lady, make em count.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

therobit posted:

I don't see where she is saying he had an asthma attack and had to go to the hospital, so I am thinking that this allergy is being exaggerated because he is a big baby.

I'm a little late for this, but I'm allergic to cigarette smoke (actually hyper-sensitive, you can't be allergic to it). I don't have asthma, if I have to be around it for a long time like that I have chest congestion, feelings like my chest and respiratory system are burning, and a very itchy rash that breaks out on my torso and arms. No asthma. I just try to stay outside as much as possible and open the window at night.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Me [34f] with my husband [44 M], he just huffed from a reddi-whip can.

quote:

Right, so I made eggs, sausage and a french toast bake with strawberries and whipped cream for dinner. Lazy me, using whipped cream from a can...

So we call the kids (13M and 10F) in for dinner, sit down and I start cutting up the french toast bake. Husband picks up the can of whipped cream and asks if it is new... Daughter answers him and says yeah, only been used a few times.

So he proceeds to start sucking the drat nitrous oxide out of the can. In front of both kids! I was so shocked it took me a few seconds to react, but once I did I yelled at him to stop because that is a highly inappropriate thing to be doing.

The thing is, I don't know if he was having a lapse in judgement or truly didn't think it was a big deal. I'm worried it was the latter... Reddit- how do I handle this?
~
Update- No, I wasn't overreacting. I took a few hours to calm down and talked to him rationally, and he did regret his actions. He was NOT just eating the whipped cream as you and many others have suggested.

He admitted it was a major lapse in judgement on his part but of course tried to take the heat off himself by pointing out that sometimes I curse in front of the kids. Had to point out the obvious that using foul language in front of children is completely different than using a substance to get high in front of children.

Also, the part that I left out is that we do go to couples therapy together as a result of his past drug and alcohol abuse to rebuild the trust that was lost when he was using. There was no doubt in my mind that he was trying to get high off that can, and what little trust he has regained isn't very stable right now. Good thing we have an appointment with our therapist today.

tl;dr: Husband huffed from whip cream can in front of children. What the hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dudeness posted:

Me [34f] with my husband [44 M], he just huffed from a reddi-whip can.

lmao

My girlfriend [26F] and I [25M] of one year just moved in together. We are having issues with my hobby.

quote:

I play a tabletop game called Magic the Gathering. I am a very competitive person. I'm always a good sport and I am always positive. I take my losses well and always seek to improve myself. I've gotten so much better than her and my friends that she feels left behind. She feels she can't share in the game with me anymore. So, now all my time spent on the game excludes her.

The problem she is concerned with is the amount of time I spend getting better at this game. She claims that any time she turns her back she feels like I'm doing something related to magic. I'll admit this is true. Its something I am passionate about and something I am getting very good at. I had hopes of going to compete at a large event potentially for money. But its looking like I will not be able to do that and maintain a relationship where everyone is happy.

I have tried to "tone it down" but the issue is if I am not getting constantly better it ruins the whole point of the game to me. Its the constant analytical thinking, math, and research that keeps me passionately engaged. Trying to do it more casually is unenjoyable for me. If I'm not playing at my best I am not having fun. This means practice and research in my spare time away from her.

We had a similar issue in the past where I was playing it so much I was neglecting her which we changed. Now I only play when she's busy or away but even that seems to be too much.

All that said, I've told her I'd leave the hobby before I leave her but is that healthy?