Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, that definitely rules out Zootopia (the "savage" animals doing jumpscares all throughout the second act might be a bit much). Still, other Disney films would probably be okay. Aladdin might be a bit intense with the Cave of Wonders escape, but I dunno that I'd really call it scary... Then again, I didn't think Mother Gothel was that scary, either, so what do I know about what's scary or not?

Mary Poppins, maybe? It's been forever since I've seen it (man, I need to rewatch that sometime), but I recall it being fairly low on the frightening-things-happening scale.

Though as long as we're bringing up Mary Poppins and "scary", a post-movie ad on an old VHS at the daycare I used to stay at juxtaposed scenes from Mary Poppins with... I want to say TRON but I'm not entirely certain; the end result was that I was a little wary of Mary Poppins for a while. The scene they showed of maybe-TRON kinda freaked me out, see, even though I can't really say why since it was basically just a warping-to-light-speed animation through a grid tunnel of some sort that was forming directly in front of the vehicle (I can't think of any scenes in TRON like that, is the rub - maybe near the end, with the Solar Sailers, but I don't think that's it). For whatever reason, I associated that scene with Mary Poppins, even though nothing like it shows up in that film whatsoever. I dunno, I can't entirely choose what my triggers are, but somehow I grew out of that particular one. The scene where the Ghost of Christmas Future goes through a swirly vortex with Scrooge scared me out of seeing A Muppet Christmas Carol in theaters when it was relevant for similar reasons, even though I'm totally unfazed by it as an adult (barring going "huh, this is that scene I was too chicken to see in theaters as a four-year-old. Neat." whenever it plays).

Could you be thinking about Bedknobs and Broomsticks or Mr. Boogedy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9vvekSbr4

Boogedy gave me nightmares when I was a wee lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Nah, I don't think so.

It's hard to describe the exact shot in text, so here's a quick mockup:

Obviously it wasn't the USS Enterprise in the corner, but that's sort of the angle (might've been a bit steeper, but there's only so much I could figure out in GZDoomBuilder). The vessel was there in the corner, and the grid either sort of zoomed in from the distance to where you see it now, or it started from nothing but gradually stretched its length outward from behind the screen toward the distance (think Star Wars lightspeed, but in reverse - instead of the stars in the distance stretching toward the camera before the takeoff, the grid here was stretching from behind the camera toward the perspective point). Then, I think the vessel wound up taking off or something. It was kinda trippy.

(Something to keep in mind, now that you have a visual: I associated Mary Poppins with this as a kid somehow)

World Famous W posted:

This is horrible advice!
This hole is made for you

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm trying to think of the things I watched all the time as a kid and I'm really struggling to think of things that didn't at least have scary parts. (Because those were my favorite parts. :3: ) Even the 80's TV movie of MLP I watched every day had centaur Satan dude turning the ponies into nightmares. I had to look him up just now to make sure I wasn't making that up.

Man, the 80's opinion of what constituted children's media was fun as hell.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My Ernest & Celestine bluray finally arrived. No special features and, criminally, no French language option!! Kinda bummed about that, I wanted to watch it in French with my boyfriend :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Echoing that Totoro and Ponyo are great for kids, especially the latter.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKNYU_M6O5Y

Hmm this is the second or third Bigfoot related animated movie I knew was in the works, guess Bigfoot's in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So much bigfoot, so little John Lithgow :|

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Maybe try to introduce some small scary scenes as you go too. I'm not here to tell anyone I know their kids better than they do obviously, but kid fears can be irrational and all over the place. I had no problem with Sharptooth in Land Before Time or Jason Voorhees, but the gorilla bouncer in Roger Rabbit? I had to leave the room for that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

My Ernest & Celestine bluray finally arrived. No special features and, criminally, no French language option!! Kinda bummed about that, I wanted to watch it in French with my boyfriend :(

https://www.amazon.com/Ernest-Celestine-DVD-Combo-Blu-ray/dp/B00GOT165E

I think this is the only purchasing option for bluray these days, it's got every special feature and dual audio/French. WHere did you buy yours?

Also, just, uhhh...you can 'back up' your version now that you own it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Drifter posted:

Some crazy bastard on Imgur has uploaded a bunch of behind the scenes stuff on Disney's animated movies that I figure you crazy bastards would like (no animals!!!).

Some cool information in some of them.
Mary Poppins - http://imgur.com/gallery/pMimY
Mulan - http://imgur.com/gallery/ZGZs5
Snow White - http://imgur.com/gallery/IZkSR
Cinderella - http://imgur.com/gallery/oFXaf
Sleeping Beauty - http://imgur.com/gallery/s9sJi
101 Dalmations - http://imgur.com/gallery/BtznO

I like this picture.

This is wonderful.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Shadow Hog, you might be thinking of Disney's The Black Hole.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

the gorilla bouncer in Roger Rabbit? I had to leave the room for that.

Judge Doom, childhood ruiner, 1988 Champion.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Maybe it's Black Hole! I'll have to do a bit more research on that (seems a bit weird to advertise it after a kids' film on a VHS; is that the one where everyone dies at the end, or am I thinking of another, more-depressing sci-fi flick - Event Horizon or something?), but at least it helps to know there's another potential candidate after watching TRON a few times made me think it wasn't that, despite it being the obvious candidate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm watching The Black Hole right now. Weird. It's from that period where Disney were still trying to break into more serious live action fare, but with some weird, goofy moments kind of incongruously shoved in for the kids.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

the grid either sort of zoomed in from the distance to where you see it now, or it started from nothing but gradually stretched its length outward from behind the screen toward the distance (think Star Wars lightspeed, but in reverse - instead of the stars in the distance stretching toward the camera before the takeoff, the grid here was stretching from behind the camera toward the perspective point).

Well of course, if the grid went the other way that would be ludicrous.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I keep mixing up Black Hole with Event Horizon.... it's not a good mix up to have.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Robindaybird posted:

I keep mixing up Black Hole with Event Horizon.... it's not a good mix up to have.

You end up getting yelled at by your significant other. :saddowns:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hey Unmature!

http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-teams-warner-bros-animaniacs-rebo-256037

I know this isn't a movie, but I don't know where else you post and I don't have PMs. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 30, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Drifter posted:

You end up getting yelled at by your significant other. :saddowns:

or in my case: Nightmares

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Look, Event Horizon is great, but it could have used a couple of cute robots. :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Over the Hedge 2: Over the Event Horizon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Doctor posted:

Look, Event Horizon is great, but it could have used a couple of cute robots. :colbert:

And weird robot sex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5pOiyD4h6E&t=46s

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey Unmatre!

http://www.avclub.com/article/steven-spielberg-teams-warner-bros-animaniacs-rebo-256037

I know this isn't a movie, but I don't know where else you post and I don't have PMs. :v:

prob gonna be extremely bad

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey Unmatre!

at least we might get updated presidents of the US and countries of the world songs v:shobon:v

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
seriously, the scenario we all hope for (that the Animaniacs reboot will pretty much just pick up where the original left off, qualitywise) has about a one in a loving billion chance of happening

it'll either be good, but completely unrecognizable and with an entirely different vibe and sense of humor (a la Teen Titans Go or MST3K) or it'll be straight up incredibly bad and not understand what made the original good at all (a la Samurai Jack or Powerpuff Girls)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Somehow I'm almost 30 and still coming to terms with the truth that, even if you get the original writers, director, actors and editors, the movie/show you loved so much will crumble before your eyes upon its return.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Samurai Jack had a fantastic start, leveled off to okay in the middle, tripped horribly right before the finish line, but managed to pick itself up and cross it alright.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was just really, really disappointed after that absolutely impeccable start. If the beginning had been more level with the rest of the series, I think I would have been... fine with it, since I wasn't a huge Jack fan the first time around. The original had a few sequences I liked. The return would have been what I remembered and what I expected.
But no, the first 3 episodes blew me out of the water and everything after that beached me. :argh:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there are a fair amount of stinkers in the original run of Samurai Jack, honestly

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hard to imagine what new Animaniacs would even be like, and what audience it will be able to successfully engage. No matter what they do, it'll undeniably be subject to a level of scrutiny far beyond anything the original show ever dealt with.

Good luck I guess

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey Unmature!

This is...huh. Animaniacs was somehow timeless and very VERY much of its time simultaneously. It's still good on rewatch, but so much of the show is rooted in the culture of the 90s.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm picturing a 90s Event Horizon kids' afternoon cartoon series now, with Sam Neill's character shaking his fist at the heros after yet another foiled plan to take control of the ship to bring them all to hell

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there are a fair amount of stinkers in the original run of Samurai Jack, honestly

I never honestly thought Samurai Jack was anywhere as good as people claimed. It had some exceptional episodes but a lot of forgettable ones and only the non-linear nature of the narrative really carried it because they could do whatever they wanted.

Admittedly it's still better than Genndy Tartakovsky rushing into the office with a copy of Gurren-Lagann with Nia's hair frantically colored black and going "hey guys, do I have an idea for the last season? Hear me out, the daughter of the evil overlord who rules the world..."

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Samurai Jack is great because it's experimental, it can do whatever it wanted with it loving just slow , low key moments to edge the tension. Nothing else was really that stylish except like Aeon Flux

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Somehow I'm almost 30 and still coming to terms with the truth that, even if you get the original writers, director, actors and editors, the movie/show you loved so much will crumble before your eyes upon its return.

I learned this with Futurama and I'm not looking to really expand my disappointment :[

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

Return, nothin', quite a few crumble on a rewatch.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ev'rything you love is naught but dust

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I missed out on the later Futurama seasons, how bad did it get?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I missed out on the later Futurama seasons, how bad did it get?

It really didn't get that bad. It had some crappy episodes but so did the originals and some of the best episodes in the run were there. The movies were probably the weakest part overall, they just didn't work as well as self-contained episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like watching either The Rescuers or Anastasia this afternoon. Any recommendation one way or the other?