Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Tiger put out a statement saying that he wasn't drinking and it was his prescription meds that caused it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-woods-speaks-dui-arrest-unexpected-reaction-prescribed-medication-000638898.html

If it weren't for the whole 3am thing, it'd almost be believable since you know he's hopped up on crazy meds for his back 24/7 and his documented sleeping pill addiction from when all the other stuff came out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

grack posted:

Uh, hate to tell you this but when other people get drunk and drive it's still goddamned lovely. "Other people do it" is a ridiculously stupid defense.

Of course it's lovely, my issue was that all I've seen online is people going at Tiger about drink driving like he is the only guy who's ever done it. I'm not sure how me writing about the hypocrisy of Aussies complaining about someone(tiger) drink driving bringing disgrace to golf when I see the same thing happen every week.

If you are talking about my understanding that a guy who is not a billionaire driving because he cannot afford a cab etc, the only point I was trying to make was this makes Tiger decision making even worse as he has the means to make alternative arrangements.

Just to make it super clear I'm not defending tiger or drunk driving in any way.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's plausible it was a combination of exhaustion + meds that made his driving bad enough to get pulled over. But what the heck are you doing up at 3 AM recovering from a surgery?

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niz_VaboH8g

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

That pic makes him look like he had had a few over the preceding several days. Not a flattering shot.

Shot a 101 today from the white tees. This was my first round in 12-13 or so years. I have hit a few baskets of balls, and had a lesson a few days ago and saw some positives from that on the course today.

Issues: still rushing drives. Fairway woods not consistent. Short game, esp. from the sand terrible but improved over the day

Positives: Club distance estimation mostly good. Some really nice shots and surprise GIRs. Putting was ON, with only 2 3-putts, and lots of 1-putts including a 45 footer that had eyes. When I took a good practice swing the following shot generally went solidly.

Mostly, will try this again.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Shot a 101 today from the white tees. This was my first round in 12-13 or so years. I have hit a few baskets of balls, and had a lesson a few days ago and saw some positives from that on the course today.

That's good to hear, I did the same thing getting back into it after a similar time away from the game as you. Been a decent year for me overall, just looking to move from my current club to a slightly nicer one which has a few more weekly members events.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaa this owns :3:

"alright now, proper big one"
"BEEEEEEEEEEEF"

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

More rain in NY, this sucks. Some courses are closed on random days simply because they are too wet. That happens in April all the time, but it's almost June. I lucked out this weekend and still played all three days but this week looks real dicey.

I'm hitting my driver better than I ever have too but getting zero roll. I was hitting first in a scramble on Sunday as the "safe" hitter and didn't miss a fairway, and was carrying the ball 250ish on average with just a tiny push or fade. I dropped the loft down to 8.5 yesterday and was hitting it about the same, and once the ground firms up it should give me more roll. Feels really great to step up to the tee and swing hard and still be confident that the ball will find the fairway. I'm not sure if the lead tape I added actually changed the swing weight enough to cause it or if it's mental (probably a bit of both) but I wish I had done it a year ago.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

More details keep coming out about Tiger

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19496396/tiger-woods-found-asleep-car-arrest-dui-charge

No alcohol at all in his system.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Golf isn't any fun when you are frequently hitting shots off the hosel. I did some video and I've decided to blame the problem on early extension. I've had problems with the past with humping the goat which I blame on my knee issues. It will be a lot of time on the range for me this week.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mattfl posted:

More details keep coming out about Tiger

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19496396/tiger-woods-found-asleep-car-arrest-dui-charge

No alcohol at all in his system.

He looked pretty wrecked in his mug shot.

Seems it might have been a prescription interaction like he said. Then again, why is he on vicodin if he is "finally pain-free"?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
they took that mugshot at 7am when he was "booked" I believe, after he had already been there since 3AM.........he was tired. For all we know he went on a ambien/xanax/vicodin fueled sleepwalking Taco Bell run.

Plus once they near 40, most golfers look start looking like poo poo without their hats on, lol.

Still no excuse for not having 5-10 bodyguards/drivers on 24/7 call or even one living in the guest quarters.

...oh and I see all the closeted Freepers on Wrx/THP are :fap:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 30, 2017

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
"Pain Free." Not the first time he's lied to everyone.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Apparently in a rush to break the news of Tiger's arrest, Yahoo news posted the arrest paperwork with Tigers full address/phone number/drivers license number on it! I'm sure there will be something that comes of that.

Also his house is loving baller drat!

Someone on reddit called his phone and it just rang and went to voicemail and said the VM box was full lol

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Golf Megathread 2017: Tiger's BAC!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Yes!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nerdrock posted:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Or maybe he meant "feeling no pain"?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Nerdrock posted:

Haha yes

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Nerdrock posted:

Too good.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Shot a 44 on 9 and while that's within a couple of my handicap, it still irks me. Two doubles, a three putt, a ball completely disappearing in the middle of an open area and another in a water hazard. I google earth pro-traced my shots because it's therapeutic to me.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 31, 2017

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Nerdrock posted:

UH, MODS????

<3

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Nerdrock posted:

Noice.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Nerdrock posted:

Amazing.

I had golf league last night, ended up shooting 39, which I'm happy with. I hit 3 greens in regulation and had 0 birdies, so my short game was on. Apart from the 150 yard par 3 that I doubled, hit into greenside bunker and then skulled the first bunker shot over the green into another bunker(not a lot of sand in the bunker). Then over compensated and barely got the ball out of the next bunker, two putt double :(.

I did well to keep the ball below the hole on most holes, so most of my chips were uphill. I managed to par both par 5s, even though both my tee shots were terrible. On the first one I had 180 yards into the green for my third shot, into the wind. I hit probably the purest 6 iron I've ever hit, directly over the flag, about 12 feet from the hole.

I need to get to the range and work out the kinks with my driver though, didn't really hit a good drive all round apart from a 4 hybrid and 6 iron.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Today is the first official scramble of the summer. It's a smaller tournament for teachers and coaches in the district. No mulligans, which is cool, but par is your friend, which I find incredibly lame. It's not a super easy course, and all of the greens are turtle back, so you're severely punished for missing the green. No fun having to just pick up after you attempt a birdie chip, unless of course it goes in. I'd rather have to work for pars.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For those still picking the game up, this is a nice little welcome/intro guide

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

DJExile posted:

lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

Not funny, bad advice, would not recommend F-

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Deadspin Guy posted:

If you’re in a position where there are tree branches above and you’re wondering if you might hit them, step on the club head of your iron on the ground. The direction the shaft is pointing will reveal your shot’s trajectory.

I'm not sure what this even means, is he advocating stepping and pushing the iron head into the ground so the shaft gives some mysterious trajectory reading? I've never seen this price of advice before and am so loving confused by it.

Edit: Just re read it, so he saying put the club on the ground and step on the head so the shaft raises up. Bloody hell thats loving worthless, if I saw someone doing that I'd assume they had already hit and were in a rage with their club.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 31, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebag posted:

I'm not sure what this even means, is he advocating stepping and pushing the iron head into the ground so the shaft gives some mysterious trajectory reading? I've never seen this price of advice before and am so loving confused by it.

I think he's saying lay the club down and lightly press your foot against the face of the club to see the trajectory it'll take. That is the first I've ever heard of a tip like that

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I mean most of what he has written could be condensed into "Go to a driving range, get some basics down, try to retain the information you gather, before you step onto the course. Otherwise you'll have a bad time and not enjoy the game?"

Also just wear some jeans and a collared shirt, the guy in the gym shorts and hoodie will get more "sideways glances" than the guy dressed in clothing somewhat covered by most courses dress code who has $3000 worth of clubs who can't hit them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DJExile posted:

I think he's saying lay the club down and lightly press your foot against the face of the club to see the trajectory it'll take. That is the first I've ever heard of a tip like that
I remember someone showing it to me when I was a junior but it's actually useless because launch angle is significantly different from loft, and grass conditions will change that, as will the shape of the back of your club

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember someone showing it to me when I was a junior but it's actually useless because launch angle is significantly different from loft, and grass conditions will change that, as will the shape of the back of your club

I'm also pretty sure it's illegal to do in a tournament which really doesn't matter in the context of the article but you know.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger's hosed if his dashcam video that just got released is any indication. You don't have to blow anything on your BAC to get a DUI.

The also released info that his car had a damaged bumper and two flat tires so he obviously hit something.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger's hosed if his dashcam video that just got released is any indication. You don't have to blow anything on your BAC to get a DUI.

The also released info that his car had a damaged bumper and two flat tires so he obviously hit something.
His lawyers will say he didn't know his medication for his terrible pain from his terrible surgeries would cause him to pass out and they'll let him go with community service which he'll fulfill by hanging out at the Tiger Woods Learning Center.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The only advice new golfers need is "keep up with the rate of play and be ready to shoot always"

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

The only advice new golfers need is "keep up with the rate of play and be ready to shoot always"

Don't forget: "Keep your head down"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dimebag posted:

Especially after you shank one 40 yards right.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

Especially after you shank one 40 yards right.

If there is any other way to receive golf tips I don't know I've seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dimebag posted:

Also true.