Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

FizFashizzle posted:

so drive an hour to lexington and welcome yourself to valhalla

charlotte is generally trash across the board

There's a Lexington in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Texas.

The Lexington in Texas hosts a bbq place called Snows which just retook the top BBQ spot in Texas Monthly's top 50. So, there you go. BBQ Valhalla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You do realize there is an entire subforum dedicated to cooking, right?

Also a chat thread in this one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Joey Freshwater posted:

So you're the one other person that knows Orangeburg exists. My grandfather has lived there for as long as I remember (He's 100 now) and I hate going to that town.

I drove through it once on the way to Charleston and I could tell it was a shithole.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

iospace posted:

The BBQ derail is always the best derail. Every may like clockwork.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Warbird posted:

And they were correct. I'm in Charlotte and the only actual southern things in this area are my nards. Now you go about 30 minutes in any given direction that isn't following I-77 and then you're in the South proper. Asheville and The Triangle have similar rules; the former being about 10 instead of 30.

Also, the BBQ game here is weaker than the football.

Yeah, Charlotte is a transplant town and also very fond of bulldozing any history/personality it has in favor of more apartment towers for banker bros. The most Southern thing about it is probably Bojangles or all the NASCAR stuff. For the most part, it's Generic American City, which is why I assume film crews loved setting up here. I still love it, though.

Joey Freshwater posted:

So you're the one other person that knows Orangeburg exists. My grandfather has lived there for as long as I remember (He's 100 now) and I hate going to that town.

Super poor, rural, racist...Orangeburg is pretty much the worst of what SC has to offer. I had a great experience with the internship itself, but was very happy to drive home every day.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

iospace posted:

Bbq is welcome in all threads

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

The original ACC members left WVU behind in the Southern Conference in the 50s and then the rest abandoned us in the Big East in the 2000s, so gently caress them all. We've got West right there in our names, I'm happy with our new conference mates to the west.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mr. World posted:

The BBQ derail is always the best derail. Every may like clockwork.

13 years in a row that I've witnessed.

Saucer Crab posted:

The original ACC members left WVU behind in the Southern Conference in the 50s and then the rest abandoned us in the Big East in the 2000s, so gently caress them all. We've got West right there in our names, I'm happy with our new conference mates to the west.

Plus, you've even got a natural rival in the form of TTU over who gets to claim John Denver.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

Super poor, rural, racist...Orangeburg is pretty much the worst of what SC has to offer. I had a great experience with the internship itself, but was very happy to drive home every day.

It is legitimately the bellwether for the horrible social issues in SC. It is the lynchpin of the corridor of shame.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I grew up in Raleigh and currently reside in Atlanta. Not only is Charlotte about equidistant between the two as driving goes, it's equidistant in character – combining Atlanta's penchant for tearing everything down with Raleigh's boring-white-suburbanites-uber-alles genericness.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, Illinois settled with the dude who went on a twitter rant about how awful Tim Beckman was for 250k. Good for that guy, I didn't even realize he was suing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

iospace posted:

We're in the depths of the offseason, which means it's BBQ chat time.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Saucer Crab posted:

WVU to the Pac-12

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Oh, Illinois settled with the dude who went on a twitter rant about how awful Tim Beckman was for 250k. Good for that guy, I didn't even realize he was suing.

Gonna be more of that, I'd imagine.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Incoherence posted:

We're in the depths of the offseason, which means it's BBQ chat time.

The offseason is for BBQ Chat and CSI-ing Shark loving Pictures.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

My grandfather is good buddies with a guy that owns like every McDonalds franchise in SC and is rich as poo poo. He owns more land in the town than any other entity, private, public or government. He builds man made lakes and stocks then with whatever fish he wants so he can just fish all day.

He's pretty awesome

Both him and my grandfather are super old (he's like 80ish) and say stuff like "that negro lady at chilis was mighty nice, I think I'll ask for her next time we go" but both of them voted for Obama. Both times. Hanging out with two dudes that are that old and have lived in a town that's that far off the map for so long is an interesting experience.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think somewhere we covered Vince Young signing with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. He's apparently going to be in a QB competition with Maty Mauk of all people.

I don't know why the idea of this fascinates me but it does.

e: Haha, never mind, the Roughriders already released Mauk after signing him like 2 days ago.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 31, 2017

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Crotch Bat posted:

Their only natural rival comes from statehood not really against the backdrop of cultural differences or similarities. I don't know any non-UGA fans who actually hate GT because they're GT, at best they hate GT because of Paul Johnson, they're very benign I think because nobody can really figure out what to hate. They tried desperately to make a big deal out of VT coming to the ACC because they used to be the only Tech and VT fans just couldn't care until CPJ came on board and I suspect the second he's gone we'll go back to just not caring one way or the other about GT. They're a lovably neutral school who rarely makes enough noise to rouse people to think something about them.

GT is one of our oldest rivalries, and the schools are only 2 hours away from each other. And a lot of Clemson folks hate GT plenty... I'd say they go back and forth with FSU for 2nd most hated team on Clemson's list.

Joey Freshwater posted:

My dad's side of my family tree is rooted in Orangeburg SC, back to 1701.

It's awful.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 31, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, the GT-Clemson rivalry has a lot going for it. Proximity, long history going back to when GT totally hosed Clemson by hiring John Heisman away from them, the urban/rural divide...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

Yeah, the GT-Clemson rivalry has a lot going for it. Proximity, long history going back to when GT totally hosed Clemson by hiring John Heisman away from them, the urban/rural divide...

The Varsity vs. The Beacon

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A Bryant-Heisman conference of the surviving major teams they coached would work pretty well for a small one: Maryland, Kentucky, A&M, Bama vs. Auburn, Clemson, GT, Rice.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

Pitt, Mizzou, BC, and Cuse aren't a cultural fit with the rest of their conference. The other teams you could separate any way and still come out with similar results.

Although saying that now, GT doesn't belong in either. They're Big 10-esque. There's nothing Southern or Mid-Atlantic about them, they're just a tech school in the middle of Atlanta, it's a very weird scene. If you could pick up the whole of the school and drop it in Chicago you'd call them a perfect fit for the Big 10. Their only natural rival comes from statehood not really against the backdrop of cultural differences or similarities. I don't know any non-UGA fans who actually hate GT because they're GT, at best they hate GT because of Paul Johnson, they're very benign I think because nobody can really figure out what to hate. They tried desperately to make a big deal out of VT coming to the ACC because they used to be the only Tech and VT fans just couldn't care until CPJ came on board and I suspect the second he's gone we'll go back to just not caring one way or the other about GT. They're a lovably neutral school who rarely makes enough noise to rouse people to think something about them.

Every team that should be ACC or SEC is except WVU (think they're more SEC than ACC) and Maryland (they're still more ACC than Big 10).

Maryland is culturally Big East/Eastern 8/whatever you want to call the hypothetical Acela conference that the ACC and Big Ten gobbled up.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

You can get money for ranting about your terrible coach on twitter? Brb gotta tweet about bert

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

The Lexington in Texas hosts a bbq place called Snows which just retook the top BBQ spot in Texas Monthly's top 50. So, there you go. BBQ Valhalla.
Been to Snow's, can confirm best brisket status. The chicken is just as good.

I pass by Corkscrew almost every day, I'm just going to have to get in line and try it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Stuff I hope my team fixes:

- Install a new center and interior OL, LT too: They suck. Any one of us could have slid in and played center for FSU last year. We recruited the number 2 center in the previous cycle and he should be a RFr or Soph now. Hopefully he supplants the current one ASAP because oh god we start off against Alabama this year.

-QB Deondre Francois makes the easy completions: He routinely got battered behind our offensive line, holding on to the ball way too long. He would make some insanely good throws as well, while dirting the intermediate and short routes, as well as check downs. There's a "Deondre Francois Punishment Reel" on youtube if you want to see how bad our OL is and how often he took hits, either from holding on to the ball too long or just the defenders hitting late.

-Running Back committee: Freshman Cam Akers seems the best of the bunch, but there are a lot of very good RBs at FSU right now who all do different things very well.

-Linebacker corps is sad and thin: This won't get fixed and there are like two or three game-ready LBs right now so halp

-Don't allow Louisville to perform early 1900's prison experiments on us again: Hopefully our very new secondary doesn't play so lovely after a year of experience. This goes with coaching, as defensive coordinator Charles Kelly has retained his job as the defense...ugh...improved through the year somewhat. We lost (I think?) nationwide sack leader DE Demarcus Walker to the NFL, so we'll see how it shakes out.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

Stuff I hope my team fixes:

- Install a new center and interior OL, LT too: They suck. Any one of us could have slid in and played center for FSU last year. We recruited the number 2 center in the previous cycle and he should be a RFr or Soph now. Hopefully he supplants the current one ASAP because oh god we start off against Alabama this year.

-QB Deondre Francois makes the easy completions: He routinely got battered behind our offensive line, holding on to the ball way too long. He would make some insanely good throws as well, while dirting the intermediate and short routes, as well as check downs. There's a "Deondre Francois Punishment Reel" on youtube if you want to see how bad our OL is and how often he took hits, either from holding on to the ball too long or just the defenders hitting late.

-Running Back committee: Freshman Cam Akers seems the best of the bunch, but there are a lot of very good RBs at FSU right now who all do different things very well.

-Linebacker corps is sad and thin: This won't get fixed and there are like two or three game-ready LBs right now so halp

-Don't allow Louisville to perform early 1900's prison experiments on us again: Hopefully our very new secondary doesn't play so lovely after a year of experience. This goes with coaching, as defensive coordinator Charles Kelly has retained his job as the defense...ugh...improved through the year somewhat. We lost (I think?) nationwide sack leader DE Demarcus Walker to the NFL, so we'll see how it shakes out.

:smith:

Probably yet another year without sniffing the playoffs. :smithcloud:

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

whiteyfats posted:

:smith:

Probably yet another year without sniffing the playoffs. :smithcloud:

Dear lord, you do a ton of whining for being a fan of a team who was won a title in the past 3 years.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Neil Armbong posted:

Dear lord, you do a ton of whining for being a fan of a team who was won a title in the past 3 years.

Life is pain

Edit: Though i was kinda hoping it would get more people to talk about their teams fot a bit

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 31, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neil Armbong posted:

How much losing is acceptable?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

whiteyfats posted:

How much losing is acceptable?

That's fair. After seeing the Longhorns crater after their last title appearance, idk, people bitching about their team still having winning seasons and having just wont a natty just seems hella entitled.

I have no idea what to expect about Texas, other than kinda like Strong, if you're going to have a strong schtick, you better put up the W's. I really loving hope Herman finds success, just like I wanted Strong to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neil Armbong posted:

That's fair. After seeing the Longhorns crater after their last title appearance, idk, people bitching about their team still having winning seasons and having just wont a natty just seems hella entitled.

I have no idea what to expect about Texas, other than kinda like Strong, if you're going to have a strong schtick, you better put up the W's. I really loving hope Herman finds success, just like I wanted Strong to.

I really thought Strong would be great there. Thought it would be the perfect fit for him. I don't know what the hell happened.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

whiteyfats posted:

I really thought Strong would be great there. Thought it would be the perfect fit for him. I don't know what the hell happened.

I'm one of the likely fools who thinks he should've got the 4th year and that it would've all come together this year, but after the Iowa State loss, I get why he had to go.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neil Armbong posted:

I'm one of the likely fools who thinks he should've got the 4th year and that it would've all come together this year, but after the Iowa State loss, I get why he had to go.

I feel you, but sometimes I think 3 years isn't enough, especially in in college, but gently caress, I am not an AD having to answer to higher ups.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BigBlueBerzerk/status/869402623711076352

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Stuff I hope Mizzou has fixed:

1. The Defense - It was all bad last year, outside of Charles Harris and, later in the year, Marcell Frazier. Also plz figure out the starting secondary.

2. Drew Lock - While I love his propensity to chuck it deep, he needs to get his completion percentage up. Hopefully, they let him read all of the field and not just half of it again this year.

3. J'Mon Moore - He has the ability to be one of the best receivers in the country, but has suspect hands, in both catching and holding onto the ball post-catch. He was the leading receiver in the SEC despite all this.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Stuff I hope Texas State has fixed

-Everything

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Things I Hope A&M fixes this season

-Offensive consistency. Too many scoring droughts due to cute play calling, dropped passes, or bad OL play.

-Stop the run. Guice and just about every other SEC running back/QB ran all over us for massive yardage last year and we could do nothing to stop them.

-Tackling. Players got trigger happy after Tennessee and tried to force fumbles when a clean tackle would do. I get that this is probably part of Chavis's scheme, but it's still maddening to watch.

-Stability at quarterback. Pretty self explanatory- I'm tired of the revolving door of QBs.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Things I Hope Ohio State Fixes This Year

- Offensive playcalling that verged on Paul Johnson-like in overly relying on the run

- Teach JT Barrett how to keep his balance and not tip his shoulders/shuffle his feet mid-throw.

- Please teach the wide receivers how to properly run routes so that they're not doing things like making five step cuts on a slant

- The Offensive Line was aggressively terrible on the right side last year, especially in pass blocking. Either Isaiah Prince gets fixed, or we will start 3 quarterbacks this year.

- Use any one of the TEs on the roster for something other than blocking.

- Abuse the blitz packages this year to generate some extra sacks/pressure

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bragging about making it into the post season for a mere bowl in the playoff era. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Cnidario posted:

Things I Hope A&M fixes this season

-Offensive consistency. Too many scoring droughts due to cute play calling, dropped passes, or bad OL play.

-Stop the run. Guice and just about every other SEC running back/QB ran all over us for massive yardage last year and we could do nothing to stop them.

-Tackling. Players got trigger happy after Tennessee and tried to force fumbles when a clean tackle would do. I get that this is probably part of Chavis's scheme, but it's still maddening to watch.

-Stability at quarterback. Pretty self explanatory- I'm tired of the revolving door of QBs.

Does A&M fire Sumlin this season if it's another 8-5ish year?

• Locked thread