Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I mostly take issue with it because the last 20 minutes of the movie is a "this is the final boss so Wonder Woman can do these things now." moment where she might as well have gone super saiyan but without the hair.

Steve Trevor is krillin in this analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I remember seeing her doing that in the trailer when she's training with the other amazons, which I assume happens early on.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Ghosthotel posted:

Speaking of Ludendorff

So Doctor Poison gives him that drug that will "return him to his former strength." which I get is supposed to throw you off the trail on Ares' real identity....except that line makes no god drat sense once the twist happens. Are we to believe this dude could crush guns with his hand in his youth or did she develop a super soldier serum? Should've just been roiding up the entire army if that was case. A lot of the powers are vague as hell in this movie. Like wonder woman's bracelet explosion is a thing she can do becaaaaauuussseee.....?

I'm guessing it's akin to super soldier serum but Doctor Poison doesn't know fully how it works since Ares is the one whispering the recipes and junk. What's the deal with Ares chucking lightning? Something else weird is the timeline. Is Diana actually thousands of years old? Cause if she is Zeus's daughter and Zeus died pretty early on, it only makes sense that she's up there in age.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Seems like the opinions from some reviews on the finale and indeed Wonder Woman herself, are really missing the point of its relationship with BvS.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Avalerion posted:

I remember seeing her doing that in the trailer when she's training with the other amazons, which I assume happens early on.

This does happen and it's treated as this kind of "how did she do that?!" Moment.

The answer ends up being because she did it in BvS so she's gotta do it in the big finale too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

brawleh posted:

Seems like the opinions from some reviews on the finale and indeed Wonder Woman herself, are really missing the point of its relationship with BvS.

Well I don't think you should have to see one movie to understand the other. That's just my opinion. I know people love the interconnectedness of this stuff but I read comics in the 80s and saw the Dawn of the Cross-Over in realtime. Not a big fan.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I want Armond White's review already.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

It's not so much the interconnectedness or whatever - you don't need to see BvS but it seems to be coming up in these reviews. Haven't seen it mind, but it's basically going to be a fish out of water story against the backdrop of WWI - it's a loss of innocence tale set in the first industrialised war that was a pointless and horrific waste of life, it's biting satire.

Where a young Wonder Woman goes to war believing she can defeat War itself, that apparently manifests as some sort of golem - the parallels with BvS are obvious enough, with very different conclusions and also explains why Diana is a more aloof figure in that movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well I don't think you should have to see one movie to understand the other. That's just my opinion. I know people love the interconnectedness of this stuff but I read comics in the 80s and saw the Dawn of the Cross-Over in realtime. Not a big fan.

I don't think he's saying that. Probably more exploration of themes and characters than a continuation of story.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

brawleh posted:

It's not so much the interconnectedness or whatever - you don't need to see BvS but it seems to be coming up in these reviews. Haven't seen it mind, but it's basically going to be a fish out of water story against the backdrop of WWI - it's a loss of innocence tale set in the first industrialised war that was a pointless and horrific waste of life, it's biting satire.

Where a young Wonder Woman goes to war believing she can defeat War itself, that apparently manifests as some sort of golem - the parallels with BvS are obvious enough, with very different conclusions and also explains why Diana is a more aloof figure in that movie.

I dunno dude you should probably watch the movie first before saying the reviews are missing the point but idk I haven't seen it either so

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
You absolutely don't need to see BvS to get Wonder Woman (but there are some references to BvS and she gets a letter from Bruce Wayne).

Anyone saying that you NEED to have seen BvS is wrong.

However, the movie does a really terrible job of the "loss of innocence" and "walking away from the world of man" themes. If the reviewers are talking about that, then they're right.

That whole theme is really really neutered because they were trying to make an ending that jived with BvS and simultaneously wrapped everything up so they could time skip back to the present.

Spoiler:

Turns out that Ares started WWI, so Man was actually not as evil as she thought. But her boyfriend died in an act of heroism and she become too emotional to continue being in that world without him in it.

It's still a pretty good movie, but there are some really weak characterization/plot issues that arise from needing to transition cleanly from Wonder Woman to Justice League.

They also completely waste the setting. I don't really care about the WWI aspect of it, so it didn't really bother me. But if you were hoping for a very realistic or period-heavy (lol) Wonder Woman movie, then you will be disappointed. They could have set the movie during the Vietnam War and had to change almost nothing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 30, 2017

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

However, the movie does a really terrible job of the "loss of innocence" and "walking away from the world of man" themes. If the reviewers are talking about that, then they're right.

Right, this is specifically what i'm talking about, more what i've read on it and not yet the movie itself - also this idea that it's doing a terrible job about the loss of innocence. Not so much that someone would think that, but why would you think that - the presentation is likely a satirical point. Again it's set in WWI which also lead to the conditions that gave rise to fascism in Europe and the further horrors therein, the historical context of using WWI can't be dismissed.

Diana's regression from the world is an act of uncertainty and in BvS this theme is writ large. She is utterly fearless but getting directly involved in WWI by going to war undoubtedly left her unsure.

Watching Wonder Woman isn't necessary to understand this, we already know it and on this point BvS is important along with Clark's sacrifice out of love.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

There is simply no way this film deserves a 97% RT score. Something is fishy.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

RedSpider posted:

that's Aquaman you're thinking of.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

RedSpider posted:

RT Score is not a value score.

A movie that 97% of critics gave a C will receive the same RT score as a movie that 97% of critics gave an A+.

WW is definitely not a 97/100 movie, but I can see most people giving it a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

(There is also probably some reluctance to trash it given the nature of its spot as the first major female-led Superhero movie of this generation.)

It's not a bad movie, though.

Not a great movie either, but definitely not horrible.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 30, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
New ghostbusters got a 91.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

quote:

I cared a lot about it never being an R-rating. And I totally support the movies that do have an R-rating, but in this case I was very aware that little girls were going to want to see the film, and I was very protective of that. So it had to not be rated R to me. I would have been happy to go for PG, but it’s World War I, so we couldn’t.

:laffo:

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

RedSpider posted:

Avengers has a 93 or something lmao do you really think this is a conspiracy

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Semper Fudge posted:

Avengers has a 93 or something lmao do you really think this is a conspiracy

You're arguing as if people like that care if the film has merit or not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Are there any reviews up from non comic book fans/wonder woman fans?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Are there any reviews up from non comic book fans/wonder woman fans?

Yes. Go check Rotten Tomatoes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Is Chris Pine the only member of her team to die or does everyone in "the photo" bite it as well? (besides WW of course)

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 30, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MacheteZombie posted:

Is Chris Pine the only member of her team to die or does everyone in "the photo" bite it as well? (besides WW of course)

Kind of a spoiler for people who haven't seen it yet.

But Pine is the only major character that does it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

RedSpider posted:

Maybe the movie is... good?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kind of a spoiler for people who haven't seen it yet.

But Pine is the only major character that does it.

Yeah sorry meant to spoiler that. Edited in the spoiler tag.

Was hoping for the other option.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Fresh seems about right, not a particular great movie but good and fun to see once. I wasn't planning on catching it in theaters but from what everyone's said it's not like there's anything super awful about it, 97% seems fine.

I remember that weird petition from people that wanted Rotten Tomatoes to shut down because BvS not having a "high enough" rating on it or whatever as if RT personally reviews and rates the films. It was crazy to see how many people take Rotten Tomatoes very very very seriously without actually knowing how it works.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neo Rasa posted:

Fresh seems about right, not a particular great movie but good and fun to see once.

That is how I would rate it.

I think that it definitely benefits from seeing it in theaters and probably won't be an especially great Blu-Ray watch.

Kind of like Avatar, there are aspects of the sound design and (semi-gratuitous) slow-mo visuals that really work better on the big screen.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 30, 2017

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Echoing the sentiment here. I have problems with the movie but I don't regret seeing it.

Honestly my main concern is that the movie is aggressively average and feel like it's gonna be the template going forward after Justice League.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe the movie is... good?

I've not seen it yet but a high RT generally means inoffensive, rather than good. It's a terrible measure for quality.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

Fresh seems about right, not a particular great movie but good and fun to see once. I wasn't planning on catching it in theaters but from what everyone's said it's not like there's anything super awful about it, 97% seems fine.

I remember that weird petition from people that wanted Rotten Tomatoes to shut down because BvS not having a "high enough" rating on it or whatever as if RT personally reviews and rates the films. It was crazy to see how many people take Rotten Tomatoes very very very seriously without actually knowing how it works.

If anything it's crazier to take it seriously if you do know how it works

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RedSpider posted:

Why?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

All these positive reviews! My hopes and dreams are coming true :unsmith: Can't wait to see this next week.

[edit]

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 30, 2017

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

teagone posted:

All these positive reviews! My hopes and dreams are coming true :unsmith: Can't wait to see this next week.

[edit]

So many skulls... Did Snyder draw this?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
People that have seen the movie: Are there any actual devices/machines/mythical beasts in the regular army battles that Wonder Woman has to stop that said army dudes can't handle or does she just effortlessly destroy everything up until facing off against Ares?

Wonder Woman smiling while she fought Doomsday in BvS was great and if some similar thing doesn't happen at some point I'm going to be disappointed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

biracial bear for uncut posted:

People that have seen the movie: Are there any actual devices/machines/mythical beasts in the regular army battles that Wonder Woman has to stop that said army dudes can't handle or does she just effortlessly destroy everything up until facing off against Ares?

No.

The closest thing is:

The German general gets a pill that "reverts him to his previous strength" and apparently he was a super-soldier as a young man? It is not really clearly explained why he is insanely strong or why they didn't just say that it would give him super strength.

They also have magic mustard gas.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

No.

The closest thing is:

The German general gets a pill that "reverts him to his previous strength" and apparently he was a super-soldier as a young man? It is not really clearly explained why he is insanely strong or why they didn't just say that it would give him super strength.

They also have magic mustard gas.

This gets dumber the more you think about it.

They spent who knows how long trying to perfect that magic mustard gas when they had a working super soldier serum the whole time

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Did they change World War 2 to 1 to appease the nazi demographic?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Bar Crow posted:

Did they change World War 2 to 1 to appease the nazi demographic?

I'm thinking it was so it wouldn't be compared to Captain America, I could be wrong but that was my guess.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tenzarin posted:

New ghostbusters got a 91.

maybe you should check again, because it's sitting at 73 on Rotten Tomatoes as of literally 30 seconds ago (and 60 from Top Critics, which really should be the primary measure because any jackass can get on RT, but top critics are generally trustworthy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Drifter posted:

Unless I'm misreading, this is pretty loving waffley. Bill Clinton levels.

Also, holy poo poo, this writer person actually took the time to understand MoS and BVS instead of complaining like a retarded idiot. I'm impressed.
http://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-movie-dceu-changes/

edit:god dammit. reply isn't edit.

That review is such a joke. Wonder Woman inspires, thus the different tone and influence from Donner's Superman... But Superman apparently doesn't, thus the realistic tone of Man of Steel! You see, it is about the intrinsic nature of the character as inspirational! "On character terms, Diana stands apart from the previous DCEU heroes by simply being not human..."

Judakel fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread