Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

If that ends your career you probably were not cut out to play a contact sport...unless he landed super weird or had an already existing issue it didn't seem like that bad of a hit compared to others I've seen (Welker getting decapitated. Burfict killing Brown)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I would have thought the Giants are #1, they have my favorite receiving group

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Kalli posted:

Doug Farrar wrote up an analysis (okay, fine, it's a ranking) of each team's receiving core:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tm_campaign=nfl

1. Patriots
2. Buccaneers
3. Raiders
4. Giants
5. Falcons
6. Packers
7. Chargers
8. Dolphins
9. Steelers
10. Cowboys
11. Seahawks
12. Jaguars
13. Bengals
14. Lions
15. Broncos
16. Chiefs
17. Eagles
18. Vikings
19. Texans
20. Panthers
21. Bills
22. Titans
23. Colts
24. Saints
25. Cardinals
26. Washington
27. Browns
28. 49ers
29. Ravens
30. Rams
31. Bears
32. Jets

Lmao is this a ranking? Cuz god drat I would say that the Colts receiving corps is WAY better than the Vikings, Panthers, Bills, Seahawks, Jaguars, and Titans.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pubic works project posted:

Lmao is this a ranking? Cuz god drat I would say that the Colts receiving corps is WAY better than the Vikings, Panthers, Bills, Seahawks, Jaguars, and Titans.
Eh, the Colts have TY and then a cliff to the next guy. The Jaguars have three legit starters plus two great slot guys and they just drafted some clown who won some awards in college. If one part of the Jaguars deserves to be listed that high it would be their WRs. Now, the Vikings, Panthers, Bills (the Bills have a WR corps?), and Seahawks...

edit: I dont see how the Patriots are #1 or how the Chargers are ahead of the Dolphins.

edit2: or how the Broncos are so low. Their passing problem was not their WRs last year, though maybe they dont have much depth behind Demaryius and Emmanuel.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2017

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

If that ends your career you probably were not cut out to play a contact sport...unless he landed super weird or had an already existing issue it didn't seem like that bad of a hit compared to others I've seen (Welker getting decapitated. Burfict killing Brown)

That's Aaron Williams, he already had one serious neck injury the year before that hit where he was laying motionless on the field for a while before being taken away by an ambulance.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: I dont see how the Patriots are #1 or how the Chargers are ahead of the Dolphins.

Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin, Tyrell Williams and Dontrell Inman is an insanely deep and good WR group

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Eh, the Colts have TY and then a cliff to the next guy. The Jaguars have three legit starters plus two great slot guys and they just drafted some clown who won some awards in college. If one part of the Jaguars deserves to be listed that high it would be their WRs. Now, the Vikings, Panthers, Bills (the Bills have a WR corps?), and Seahawks...

Eh, you have Allen Robinson, Julius Thomas and that's pretty much it. Hurns is your next best guy. Everyone else is on the same level as the Colts WRs after TY and Moncrieff.

Not trying to start a debate here with a fellow AFCS bro though. I think lists like this are pretty dumb because we don't know what's going to happen this season.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Travis Benjamin, Tyrell Williams and Dontrell Inman is an insanely deep and good WR group
Keenan Allen is never healthy and Mike Williams has yet to play a down. Benjamin, Williams, and Inman are all decent but I wouldnt go as far as saying "insanely good".

pubic works project posted:

Eh, you have Allen Robinson, Julius Thomas and that's pretty much it. Hurns is your next best guy. Everyone else is on the same level as the Colts WRs after TY and Moncrieff.

Not trying to start a debate here with a fellow AFCS bro though. I think lists like this are pretty dumb because we don't know what's going to happen this season.
Julius Thomas is a Dolphin :confused:. Hurns is great, Marquise Lee really stepped up this past year, and Rashad Greene has been stuck behind those guys and Bryan Walters for playing time. But yeah you are right, its just a list and we have no idea what is going to happen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 30, 2017

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I didn't say Inman, Benjamin and Williams were insanely good, I said having them as your #3/4/5 is insanely good

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I didn't say Inman, Benjamin and Williams were insanely good, I said having them as your #3/4/5 is insanely good
Easy there I'm just posting my opinions about a list someone posted on the internet. I'm not trying to start a slapfight either.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
The Vikings have a better receiving corp than the colts.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Easy there I'm just posting my opinions about a list someone posted on the internet. I'm not trying to start a slapfight either.

It's not a slapfight friend, we are just discussing the quality of the Chargers WR group in a constructive manner

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think in general that article seems to overrate the production of rookies (or I'm underrating it). I also think the Patriots at #1 seems reasonable due to their depth, but I'm obviously very biased.

Like, their 4th+ options are Hogan, Amendola, Andrew Hawkins, Dwayne Allen and Malcolm Mitchell. If you want to say they all stink and it's all Brady, then I guess I can acquiesce to that.

Gronk's health is the main concern, but I think even without him, they'd be pretty reasonably high on that list with Cooks + Edelman and slot rceiver junction.

I think the Vikings are interesting because that Oline held back that offense pretty badly last year... but they had good enough hands that Bradford set the completion % record last year.... that's something.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Grittybeard posted:

Is the Glazer family still universally hated or did they do something to make themselves more palatable?

The world would still be better off if the family's private jet crashed with everyone on board, so universally hated. They are somehow under-the-radar as one of the worst owners in the NFL.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I suspect people aren't used to taking Cooks into account and that's why the Patriots at #1 seems a little jarring at first

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I was talking up Prescott before the draft before the Rams traded the farm for Goff, was hoping they would look up on receivers in the first 3 rounds then draft him. I also don't have any proof of this.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the cardinals are bottom third in the league if you dont take any context into account and ignore david johnson

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/869631365016375298

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the jets have a better receiving corps than the rams, browns, and maybe 1 or 2 other teams

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Corey Davis is a top 5 wr which isn't being factored into that list

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Jets aren't great or anything, but I'd take their receivers over the Browns, 49ers, Ravens, Rams and Bears any day. Maybe I'm just overvaluing Eric Decker though.

Also lol at:

quote:

Add in the depth in this rotation with proven role players like Danny Amendola and Matthew Slater, and factor in the receptions that can come out of the running game (remember the 14 receptions James White had in Super Bowl LI), and it will be tremendously exciting to see how this coaching staff deploys all this talent against enemy defenses.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 30, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Talk about ice cold takes, Slater has 1 career reception! :laugh:

Their real WR depth chart of Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and Amendola is nice though. Plus receiving backs galore and Gronk before he inevitably breaks something.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Intruder posted:

I suspect people aren't used to taking Cooks into account and that's why the Patriots at #1 seems a little jarring at first

So if the Saints keep him, do we go to #1-5 instead of #24? Granted Drew Brees makes his WRs look great, but I'd argue the Saints WR corps is better than #24, even with the addition of Ted Ginn.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Talk about ice cold takes, Slater has 1 career reception! :laugh:

Their real WR depth chart of Cooks, Edelman, Hogan, Mitchell and Amendola is nice though. Plus receiving backs galore and Gronk before he inevitably breaks something.

His career yards per catch is 46 though. Jerry loving Rice's YPC is a paltry 14 :colbert:

Here's his literal only reception, which is actually pretty impressive and only a finger on Slater's foot as he went to the ground saved it from going for a 70 yard TD. LOL at the commentary "When Slater comes in the game, you better get back there deep". Yes, let's spend time gameplanning for the 0-1 targets he sees per year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8222f42c/Brady-goes-long-to-Slater

In actual impressive stats, Rice averaged > 20 YPC in 1988 :stare:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs/status/869663150723002369

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/status/869665816446459905

The Bears are run by professional and competent people.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Sanchez hurt his knee so they decided to keep Shaw for now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

wandler20 posted:

Sanchez hurt his knee so they decided to keep Shaw for now.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/869667176579518464

https://twitter.com/Rich_Campbell/status/869668319183466496

Bears media policy owns.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The Bears are the gift that keeps on giving.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/869673478164795392

Well, there you go.

I also first read that as "remainder of the season", because of course.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
bengals could be practically anywhere on that dumb receiving list because behind AJ Green there's a whole paragraph worth of questions, like if Eifert is healthy we have a top 5 TE in the league, if John Ross is half as good as his draft position would suggest then we have near uncoverable #1 and #2 receivers, and if boyd continues his improvement then by golly we're gonna give defensive coordinators some headaches

anyway andey is going to be sacked 100000 times and none of it will matter as we go 6-10

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Sanchez was also going to come back after hurting his shoulder in preseason and then didn't. He's dead.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a patagonian cavy posted:

bengals could be practically anywhere on that dumb receiving list because behind AJ Green there's a whole paragraph worth of questions, like if Eifert is healthy we have a top 5 TE in the league, if John Ross is half as good as his draft position would suggest then we have near uncoverable #1 and #2 receivers, and if boyd continues his improvement then by golly we're gonna give defensive coordinators some headaches

anyway andey is going to be sacked 100000 times and none of it will matter as we go 6-10

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/869673478164795392

Well, there you go.

I also first read that as "remainder of the season", because of course.

If Sanchez going out for the season was going to matter to the Bears then the season's already over anyway

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

VietCampo posted:

That's Aaron Williams, he already had one serious neck injury the year before that hit where he was laying motionless on the field for a while before being taken away by an ambulance.

Yeah, I suppose the fact dude targeted a guy famous for his head and neck issues adds context to the illegal career ending hit

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Burfict innocent!!!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami is easily top 5. I'm laughing at them putting Mike Williams above Parker.

Miamis got crazy depth at receiver. Us having to include TEs sucks because Thomas may suck AND we have no depth besides him. Not for receiving

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

The Bills are going into a season where rod streater might very well win the #2 job

I refuse to believe they are that highly ranked

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

The Bills are going into a season where rod streater might very well win the #2 job

I refuse to believe they are that highly ranked

look at this goon who has never played madden

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Chargers have a really good group of WRs until four of them get injured by labor day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I'm really high on T. Williams personally; he's like Malcom Floyd but MUCH faster and more agile, so he isn't just a jump ball WR. I'm probably being homer-ish but I do think he'd have the potential to really be a top WR in the league if he cleans up his route running a bit.

• Locked thread