Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

The "new" games kind of did some not great things to the series by making what was a really creative and bright series into something that felt like something Ikea would make. They weren't bad but they certainly didn't live up to the name and sort of diluted the perfection of the series. 3D Land and World games worked towards undoing that, while still having a kind of flat look, and it looks like Odyssey is mostly free of it, even if they did not learn one of the more minor lessons from Sonic 06: don't put normal looking humans next to your goofy rear end mascot. Still, it looks great and the main reason I own a Switch is so I know I have one when that game comes out.

Still, it will have to be pretty drat amazing to outdo Mario Maker

Mario Maker is sort of the apotheosis of 2-D Mario. It feels like they should just make Mario Maker with more features and maybe a set of levels that come packaged with it for people who want an official Nintendo game anymore. I miss the 3D/explorey ones, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Mario Maker is sort of the apotheosis of 2-D Mario. It feels like they should just make Mario Maker with more features and maybe a set of levels that come packaged with it for people who want an official Nintendo game anymore. I miss the 3D/explorey ones, though.

Agreed. I love 2D Mario but I've always 3D platformers tend to be some of my very favorite games and no one does those better than Mario. I really hope Odyssey is the continuation from Galaxy I've been waiting for (3D World was great but it felt more like them getting the series back on track rather than pushing it forward).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
A mario maker with 3d world style of levels would be really loving cool

but yeah i like Platforming Adventure mario waaaay better than Map Full Of Courses mario

probably takes more resources to do the former though, why create large and engaging landscapes when you can just cobble together some bowser levels maps for 3d world? You can even reuse themes like they used to back in the day during the era of technical limitations!

They were done well and all but time for proper 3d mario

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

A mario maker with 3d world style of levels would be really loving cool

but yeah i like Platforming Adventure mario waaaay better than Map Full Of Courses mario

probably takes more resources to do the former though, why create large and engaging landscapes when you can just cobble together some bowser levels maps for 3d world? They were done well and all but time for proper 3d mario

It was more than that. Mario Galaxy was fantastic but from what I can tell it didn't do nearly as well as NSMB Wii and certainly didn't do as well as the original NSMB. As you said, the 3D games are way harder to make so they went all in with the "new" aesthetic for a bit but interest waned (I don't think NSMB2 and NSMB Wii U did particularly great) and they got far more middling reviews than other Mario games so I think that's why they've gone back to making a big bombastic Mario game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Healbot posted:

Fromsoft? Not really.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Japan_Studio

It's the logo that comes up after from software's in demons souls and bloodborne

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Man, I feel the exact opposite. Mario 3D World was this glorious return to form for me, and I still think it's the best Mario game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
mario 3d world is pretty great and my favorite format for a courses-style mario, no denying that

but man do i have a soft spot for adventure games with large worlds to explore

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nintendo had a weird timetable thing for Mario games on their initial Odyssey reveal that showed a journey from 64 to Sunshine to Odyssey, so I assume they are once again revisiting the "open" nature of those games finally.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mario 64 style in the Breath of the Wild Engine. Get all 900 stars.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvD8NZN9Zsg

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
what's the new vs old content breakdown like with sonic mania?

i wish it was all fresh new levels because the new stages they showed off look slick >:[

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KingSlime posted:

i wish it was all fresh new levels because the new stages they showed off look slick >:[

more old than new

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I think it's mostly new tilesets and levels and even the remakes have huge brand new additions added to them. Green Hill Zone is like twice as long.

^^^Where'd you get that info? I'm just going off of people's hands ons and gameplay trailers they've put out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LawfulWaffle posted:

Check out my half A bite 100% xxl grilled stuft burrito (heimlich strat explanation in description)

Taco Bell Any% All Items
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwh5ZWPDa-E&t=80s

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

KingSlime posted:

Of the five zones shown publicly so far, two are new and three are "remixes" of old zones that go off the reservation halfway through.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i dunno why you're debating it when they confirmed itll have more old "remix" levels than brand new ones

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, that's why I asked where you got your info because I legitimately wanted to know but citb has to be a dick it's in his contract.

Edit: They've already shown more than 2 new tilesets, though, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

nintendo had a weird timetable thing for Mario games on their initial Odyssey reveal that showed a journey from 64 to Sunshine to Odyssey, so I assume they are once again revisiting the "open" nature of those games finally.

I mean, it makes sense. So many games are about exploring and crafting now. Even Final Fantasy is starting to be more about wandering around the countryside rather than being on rails or even moving from cell to cell. It'll be interesting to see if Odyssey goes full scavenger hunt or is more about collecting, assembling and then crafting.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

death to crafting systems

and loot

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm dismayed that crafting is present in Persona 5

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't mind crafting systems if they aren't an afterthought and if they keep the number of things that you can craft to a reasonable amount. I like making recipes out of caught fish and slain cows in FF15, and I like making guns in FO4, although I wish less of the crafting in Bethesda games was gatelocked by skill points.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Normally I don't care about loot but Injustice 2 of all things has gotten its loot hooks in me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

mutata posted:

Yes, that's why I asked where you got your info because I legitimately wanted to know but citb has to be a dick it's in his contract.

Edit: They've already shown more than 2 new tilesets, though, right?

didn't see you ask that. sorry!

anyway Iizuka said so when he was guesting on a sonic team twitch stream, and he'd know cause he's the director.

e: the other levels are all "remixes" though so there's still new stuff there. they wanna do a generations type thing with mania, thus the overabundance of old stuff.

i'd prefer it to be all new too but whatever it looks like it'll be fun :D

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 30, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Help Im Alive posted:

death to crafting systems

and loot

rare and supercool drops have been a staple of games for decades and i'd be sad to see them go. but this new, mmo-inspired wave of garbage where everything drops all kinds of useless trash is awful yeah

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I'm dismayed that crafting is present in Persona 5

it's present in the sense that I always seem to have what I need and never run out of lockpicks even though I never pay attention to either

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

didn't see you ask that. sorry!

anyway Iizuka said so when he was guesting on a sonic team twitch stream, and he'd know cause he's the director

Fair enough! I've seen a bunch of new art and they've added more than just new paths to the remake levels so I'm optimistic. Everything looks pretty dang great, imo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

loot and crafting are like my favorite things

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Loot systems were cool when they stuck to their own genre, but borderlands really screwed the pooch by bringing them into other genres.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sonic forces is using the generations engine too so it'll probably be pretty good. its weird to be in a time when you can say "that new sonic game coming out looks good" but we all live in bizarro world now

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

KingSlime posted:

it's present in the sense that I always seem to have what I need and never run out of lockpicks even though I never pay attention to either

I guess it's OK if it's basically unnecessary background noise but I mean in that case why include it at all?

corn in the bible posted:

sonic forces is using the generations engine too so it'll probably be pretty good. its weird to be in a time when you can say "that new sonic game coming out looks good" but we all live in bizarro world now

Is a new day dawning for Sonic? I though Generations was at least alright-to-fun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sonic generations is quite overhyped. its still a sonic ga...[sentence could not be finished due to author falling unfairly in a pit]

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess it's OK if it's basically unnecessary background noise but I mean in that case why include it at all?

so that it uses up time to make items and rewards exploring mementos for rare mats i guess. its no biggie

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

aren't all the pits in gens telegraphed by giant floating signs

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

KingSlime posted:

That's kind of how it is in Witcher 3 up until the end. If you just pluck plants in the background and loot chests, you have all the stuff you need to get armor at stores and brew potions.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Motto posted:

aren't all the pits in gens telegraphed by giant floating signs

blind gamer community still unfairly targeted by sonic pits

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've never had the unfair death problem that people seem to have with Sonic games (well the ones where people say there's no way by without memorization, not the ones where you die due to bugginess. those can gently caress right off). I thought generations was pretty good but Colors was WAY better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doyODHwluaY

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well I just spent the last 20 minutes watching covers of NitW covers. I didn't really get to read the lyrics while playing the game and man those are some depressing songs (okay, 2 out of 3 are depressing and 1 is about running from a murderous Pumpkin Headed Guy).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

What's everyone looking forward to in June? I kinda only really know about Tekken, and that I think Arms is coming out, maybe.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm still looking forward to the Crash remaster even though people are kinda down on it

I might get the Wipeout collection too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to the HD Crash trilogy and trying to ignore E3 and failing.

• Locked thread