Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I don't, but I already have 6mm models and think could easily adapt the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So it seems that Forgefathers are the Marines of FF? At least, four fifths of all content posted on the FF faceboook page is forge-father related. I wonder if that's just a bit of selection bias: the kind of people who were interested in the kooky parts of 40k (i.e. squats) are probably more interested in trying alternate game systems - and here we have it.

It seems to be:

Forgefathers
Enforcers
GCPS
Veermyn/Plague
Asterians

Any thoughts?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 29, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ronnie likes dwarves best, is probably a large part of the answer.

Another part of it might be that only the Forge Fathers and Enforcers have their vehicles to show off, and the Enforcers are less of a unique selling point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Them and Enforcers are in the starters for both Warpath and Deadzone so everyone has them. They have the most "complete" ranges of models so people have the easiest time expanding them. Plus as you said, Forge Fathers represent the weirdness that 40k has tried to get rid of.

Enforcers are cool in theory but Mantic haven't done a good job of showcasing it. They need to promote the "were created to protect humanity, so the first thing they did was try to overthrow the government" angle and less the "generic super soldiers" angle.

Asterians have some really cool poo poo in their army list, but there just aren't any models for them and of the 5 Kalyshi you can buy, only 3 are decent looking and only 2 of those actually good looking.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And GCPS are probably popular because sci-fi human infantry is a thing that exists everywhere in 28mm, and there are a ton of ex-40k players with dusty IG armies out there that would slot pretty much 1:1 into Warpath/Firefight.

Meantime I've still got all three battlegroups that I got in the KS (Enforcers/FF/Asterians) in the box, still on sprues. :sigh:

I imagine Marauders will be big when they finally put out more support for them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

Meantime I've still got all three battlegroups that I got in the KS (Enforcers/FF/Asterians) in the box, still on sprues. :sigh:

It only took me about two solid months of painting every day for 3-4 hours to get through mine. :suicide:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Atlas Hugged posted:

It only took me about two solid months of painting every day for 3-4 hours to get through mine. :suicide:

I've got a bit less motivation because I don't really have anyone interested in playing at the moment. Love the idea of the game and the rules look tight, but I was maybe a bit overzealous in my Kickstarter pledge, especially as it came at a time when I had a lot of disposable income.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

I've got a bit less motivation because I don't really have anyone interested in playing at the moment. Love the idea of the game and the rules look tight, but I was maybe a bit overzealous in my Kickstarter pledge, especially as it came at a time when I had a lot of disposable income.

The way I see it, no one else is ever going to have an army, so I might as well have painted forces of my own in case I can convince others to play.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

The way I see it, no one else is ever going to have an army, so I might as well have painted forces of my own in case I can convince others to play.

This is 'a thing' when it comes to historical gaming, especially since there are such diverse basing systems, scales, rules, etc. - one is simply expected to turn up with both halves of the battle to fight, and to have an opponent prepared to be given a scenario/army to play with. Honestly, with the size of Firefight armies it's really not a problem at all, is it?

I'm thinking of putting together a Marauder army (in order to have four in total, with GoA Concord as Asterians, Forge Fathers, RT Space Marines as Enforcers and some 2nd Editioon Orks as Marauders)

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
I'm in the same sort of boat as Atlas and Southern: we've just gotten a new F(?)LGS that has popped up which is mostly just being used because they let people rent lockers and have lots of space for boards, but the owner wants me to try and demo all the games I currently own. . . which is, a lot. >.>

I've got plans to try and get people into the Kings of War Summer campaign, I just need to paint some of my drat minis, and we have a small coven of Warhammer 8th edition hold-outs who may be converted: especially as one has an entire Dwarf army made from Mantic miniatures, and has organized a tour of Mantic HQ for his upcoming trip to the UK, but has never played any of their games. :ohdear:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Xarlaxas posted:

we have a small coven of Warhammer 8th edition hold-outs who may be converted: especially as one has an entire Dwarf army made from Mantic miniatures, and has organized a tour of Mantic HQ for his upcoming trip to the UK, but has never played any of their games. :ohdear:

This person clearly has an interesting thought process. Is he also going to Warhammer World?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Ugleb posted:

This person clearly has an interesting thought process. Is he also going to Warhammer World?

Yup! :P Not sure why, seeing as he only plays 8th edition fantasy, and he's going to be buying Mantic Undead (from their HQ when he visits) for Vampire Counts. :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Before he finalises things, it might be worth a quick sanity check on the HQ thing - it's really not a big building - maybe half a dozen offices and a couple of meeting rooms with a foyer, and then the casting warehouse. They were extremely nice and friendly on the open day, but it took longer to walk from the tram stop to the building, than to walk around the full circuit inside.

I'm having lots of unhealthy thoughts about 'the next' army already, but I'm going to have to sit on my hands - my usual opponent fancies a game on Sunday so I'd like to leave him to it before I call shotgun on everything he wants :) So far I'm considering Beastmen-as-Marauders.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
At least Warhammer World is built as a tourist attraction for nerds, I can see a point in visiting for the dioramas at least.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Finally got to work on something of my own last night and I'm pretty happy with how this dwarf lord on flying mount is looking :toot:

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Before he finalises things, it might be worth a quick sanity check on the HQ thing - it's really not a big building - maybe half a dozen offices and a couple of meeting rooms with a foyer, and then the casting warehouse. They were extremely nice and friendly on the open day, but it took longer to walk from the tram stop to the building, than to walk around the full circuit inside.

Ugleb posted:

At least Warhammer World is built as a tourist attraction for nerds, I can see a point in visiting for the dioramas at least.

Yeah, I think it's a matter of "I can buy straight from the source if I visit Mantic HQ" (dunno if they do discounts for visitors or something) and, of course, Warhammer World is the wargaming nerd Mecca, so he's (I imagine) primarily going along to see that.

I used to live up in Scotland and never travelled down to Nottingham to visit because I thought it was too far away, now I'm living in South America. :saddowns:

At any rate, it pushed me to finally start working on painting my KoW stuff: I sprayed and put texture paint spray on my Basileans and Undead Bases, and I primed my Basileans: just need to prime around 200 skeletons. . . . .

At least with KoW I don't have to make sure they all rank up nicely and I can stick them to the bases, unlike my 300+ Skaven models.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah I had some retard goggles in and travelled 3hrs to get to Nottingham for the Mantic open day, only to skip GW entirely. They don't give discounts, though they might have boxes, pre-order, kickstarter left-overs if the open day is anything to go by.

I'm really confused why Mantic don't spend some time to do bat-reps and/or rules rundowns. Warpath has been a thing for years now and all they've got on their YT channel is a 2 minute sweeping shot of a Veermyn/Forge-Father diorama.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
It's like they've put no effort into promoting or growing the WP/FF community. Their forums are dead so I've been emailing customer service with rules queries, who usually end up asking the designers and recommending that I post on said dead forums or FB, and gently caress FB. Last time around they apologised for the state of the forums and ended up giving me a designer's direct email address, but he hasn't got back to me yet either.

It's a shame because KoW as a game and a community is awesome, but it seems like the different game teams have different priorities.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

spacegoat posted:

It's like they've put no effort into promoting or growing the WP/FF community. Their forums are dead so I've been emailing customer service with rules queries, who usually end up asking the designers and recommending that I post on said dead forums or FB, and gently caress FB. Last time around they apologised for the state of the forums and ended up giving me a designer's direct email address, but he hasn't got back to me yet either.

It's a shame because KoW as a game and a community is awesome, but it seems like the different game teams have different priorities.

Sounds like Spartan games with their different game lines. . . .

The smaller UK companies really seem to zoom in on their cash-cows and get ultra-focused on them, to the extent of ignoring everything else, followed by spurts of faction/game-line ADD, before coming home to roost with what's bringing in the biggest bucks.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
That'd be fine if they didn't already take peoples' money to get those other games up and running.

I love Mantic and I love their games, but they need to get their poo poo together.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spacegoat posted:

That'd be fine if they didn't already take peoples' money to get those other games up and running.

I love Mantic and I love their games, but they need to get their poo poo together.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Mantic: We love them, but they need to get their poo poo together

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Xarlaxas posted:

Sounds like Spartan games with their different game lines. . . .

The smaller UK companies really seem to zoom in on their cash-cows and get ultra-focused on them, to the extent of ignoring everything else, followed by spurts of faction/game-line ADD, before coming home to roost with what's bringing in the biggest bucks.

I think it is in no small part due to most of these companies being surprisingly small and not having the breadth to push multiple product lines consistently.

Hawk have been all Dropfleet this year and seem to be completely absorbed by trying to fulfil the kickstarter and roll out the game to retail while completing the planned not available on kickstarter Dropfleet products. Meanwhile Dropzone hasn't seen any news this side of Christmas that I can recall.

The problem is when you create the self fulfilling prophecy of marines being your biggest seller and most popular line because you give them the most attention meaning that the new shiny is mostly marines which is what people are going to buy because you didn't release anything else because you want to pay the bills and marines are your biggest seller so that's where your resources went.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 30, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think these are two separate issues - one is their ADD around products which is sad but I've always seen Mantic as 70/30 towards rules rather than specific miniatures.

The more damaging issue IMO is around the desert of P.R. I mean poo poo, we're not talking PP level of investment (have you seen the Warmachine 'how to play' videos?) but they already have the miniatures, boards, space, lighting, players, etc. and relying on 3rd party gaming channels might work, but if they did so IMO they should re-host the cream of the crop on their own channel.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Producing professional content for Youtube does take a fair sized creative budget, and hiring someone to do that sort of thing isn't cheap, probably why they rely on Beasts of War for that - those guys already have a professional setup, and it probably doesn't cost a lot more than a small fee and some contra.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 31, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Producing professional content for Youtube does take a fair sized creative budget, and hiring someone to do that sort of thing isn't cheap, probably why they rely on Beasts of War for that - those guys already have a professional setup, and it probably doesn't cost a lot more than a small fee and some contra.

Can't disagree on that, but I still think they are doing themselves a disservice by not even having the most plain videos up there.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
They had a weekly video about new stuff for about a week and their blog is occasionally interesting.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So if I understand the fluff right, GCPS harnessed aliens (Orks) as supersoldiers who went crazy-renegade. Instead they decided to go with a human supersoldier program (Enforcers) who immediately tried to overthrow them and created a schism?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's more that the people behind the Enforcer project (the Council of Seven) used it to put themselves at the top of the corporate ladder. They also manipulated the Mandrake rebellion to hurt their biggest adversaries the most.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Council of Seven manipulated the Mandrake rebellion to manufacture a crisis to give themselves increased and permanent power and to start the Enforcer project, but then the orcs proved to be far more savvy than anyone predicted and they lost control of events and the orcs very nearly destroyed the entire Coprosperity Sphere before they were finally driven back.

I haven't gotten to the Enforcers section in the Source book yet but I remember someone else mentioning that the Enforcers also turned on the Council. I could be misremembering or that person could have been wrong.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't recall them turning on the Council, but it's been a while since I read the source book.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The prototype batch of Enforcers had teething problems, such as taking some orders too literally, which resulted in them slaughtering both the Ork boarders, and the human crews on their own transports, because they were told to kill every combtatant.

So it was less the Enforcers turning on them, more that it took them a few goes to get the mental conditioning aspect of the training right.

e: Oh right, there's that story about how they created a new batch of Troopers and replaced their personalities with programming instructing them to seek out and destroy the greatest threats to the GCPS before they've really happened, sort of set it and forget it drone troopers, the batch went through the data and identified a member of the council of seven as the biggest threat and went after him, briefly, before being terminated. They'd gone through the numbers Sherlock and Mycroft style, and figured out the guy was dicking around with something dangerous in the death arc

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 31, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

And the mandrake rebellion is when the orks went merc?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I wanted to try something with greens since I'm poo poo with them, but can't decide on highlights. I've whipped up two test Enforcers: one with grey/green (left) and the other with yellow/green (right) highlights. I didn't like the right one at first, but seeing them together makes me think it's the better option. Thoughts?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

And the mandrake rebellion is when the orks went merc?

Yep, that's correct! Some of that is covered in the Sourcebook. Really need to reread that one of these days....
(Ooo, I should look into United Fruit Company branding for my GCPS troops. Just to amp up the cynicism factor with some historical significance.)

e: ^ Nice Spartans, spacegoat!

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 31, 2017

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Haha fuuuuck I was going for Doomguy. Never got into Halo but now I can't unsee it.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spacegoat posted:

I wanted to try something with greens since I'm poo poo with them, but can't decide on highlights. I've whipped up two test Enforcers: one with grey/green (left) and the other with yellow/green (right) highlights. I didn't like the right one at first, but seeing them together makes me think it's the better option. Thoughts?

They look great. I prefer the ones on the right as well.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

spacegoat posted:

Haha fuuuuck I was going for Doomguy. Never got into Halo but now I can't unsee it.

Dude, go with it. Hell, make'em be part of the Microsoft corporation that somehow still exists in the future, and the Enforcers are intentionally made to look like Spartan marines for brand identity and publicity.

A big goddamn walking advertisement for the next Halo game. The perfect fluff for a corporation-run dystopia hellscape.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

spacegoat posted:

Definitely the right hand side - reminds me of Striking Scorpions.

Speaking of "humans", this looks like an amazing way to spend alot of money:
http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/regiments-custom-platoon-builder

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spacegoat posted:

Slimnoid posted:

Dude, go with it. Hell, make'em be part of the Microsoft corporation that somehow still exists in the future, and the Enforcers are intentionally made to look like Spartan marines for brand identity and publicity.

A big goddamn walking advertisement for the next Halo game. The perfect fluff for a corporation-run dystopia hellscape.
Yeah, I'm sort of going to be emulating Halo soldiers/marines with my GCPS, but then again, it's barely a leap at all, considering the mini design.

Southern Heel posted:

Definitely the right hand side - reminds me of Striking Scorpions.

Speaking of "humans", this looks like an amazing way to spend alot of money:
http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/regiments-custom-platoon-builder
I can confirm that their stuff is cool and good. Not got any of those, but I grabbed one of their Afterlife character minis (as I think I mentioned before), and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think I would be super tempted but I really like the Veermyn rules - super flavourful and cool. Wondering how to make them..