Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Brainworm posted:

I'll take the bait.

A guy's relationship with his mother is going to be some funhouse mirror version of his relationship with you, and so the overwhelming odds are that a guy who can't talk to his mom will make a relentlessly lovely partner.
lol ok freud whatever you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How can I [22F] diffuse awkwardness with older boyfriend's [39M] friends, and resolve drama with a girl friend [28F] of his?

quote:

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to read this. It's kind of a two fold issue but I'll try to make it as short as possible. My boyfriend is a good bit older than me. I'm [22F] and he is [39M]. We have been dating for about 10 months. Our relationship is great, but I feel very awkward when we are with his friends. They are not rude, but they see me as a little kid (I'm 22, they're all 30+) and we don't have much in common either way. Is there anything I can actually really do to make it less awkward? I'm not rude, and they aren't either. It's just..... awkward.

Second issue: in this friends group is a girl I'll call Beth. Beth is 28. She has had a crush on my boyfriend for a while, they went out on a few dates years ago. She hates me. Like really hates me. I've only ever said "Hi, my name is 60sgal" to her so I know it's not anything I did. I know she talks about me and spreads things about me. She has a reputation for stealing boyfriends and being a bitch, yet is still in their friends group. Is there any way to diffuse the situation with her? Perhaps by confronting her nicely? And lastly, is it possible that his friends may have a bad feeling about me due to things she's said? Thank you!

Tl;dr older boyfriends friends and me have nothing in common so it's hella awkward. A girl in their friends group hates my guts. Any way to diffuse things?

Why do these people 10/20 years older than me treat me like a kid? :confused:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

lmao

My girlfriend [26F] and I [25M] of one year just moved in together. We are having issues with my hobby.

TCGs are like anime. You can have it or a relationship, but not both. You can have TCGs and anime though, so there's the answer for him.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

MF_James posted:

I thought the same exact thing, like he's in there smoking weed, or perhaps doing heroin.

I'm just saying, my dad's a successful writer who's worked from home at least 3-4 days a week my entire life and the only times he did full barricading in his home office with sketchy/no reasons were the two times he had mondo alcoholism relapses and was pounding the vodka. The rest of the time he'd just be like "on a conference call" and you'd be able to hear it, or "on a deadline" and you'd hear him furious typing and swearing like a sailor.

Oh and I went to private high school and spent a poo poo load of time around incredibly rich families, even though mine is just upper middle class. This poo poo is super weird even for the most eccentric of rich people.

Bamabalacha fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 30, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SaltyJesus posted:

I dunno, it's pretty frequent that a guy's mom behaves badly towards the son's girlfriend or at least poo poo-talks the girlfriend behind her back because she's not good enough for mom's golden boy or whatever. I'd say being a momma's boy is a much bigger red flag than not having an overly close relationship with your parents.

His mom is cool and she likes me a lot

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

His mom is cool and she likes me a lot

Well poo poo. Maybe he's better off keeping his distance.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

dudeness posted:

How can I stop doing things for my bf without hurting his feelings?

overactive self-sacrificing woman who puts phd thesis level work into making lunch for someone and embryonic sitcom dad isn't a great match

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Buzkashi posted:

My fwb[19M] is in love with me, but I[21F] am not. I don't want the sex to end however. Is there a way I can convince him to continue sleeping with me in secret, but not be in a relationship?

This story is almost believable if you remove the "I was shocked he was a virgin after I had the best sex of my life" bit, considering most FWB relationships are purely sex-centric. But no way it ever happened and it's just some horny dude jerking it to his latest erotic fiction. The League of Legends slovenly nerd angle cements that. Lmao. 😂

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 30, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My girlfriend [26F] and I [25M] of one year just moved in together. We are having issues with my hobby.

You can either tap your girlfriend or sacrifice her, but you cant do both.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

quote:

This is really weird and I hope I don't confuse you all.

I am studying abroad in Italy this summer and my boyfriend is back home in the U.S. He knows and is happy that I had the opportunity to study in another country. He's not the problem, the problem is with a girl in the same program as me (Jaclyn).

Jaclyn and I didn't know each other before the program started but we ended up sitting next to each other on our group flight to Italy. We made small talk throughout the flight and stuck together the first night during orientation. Things were normal, until she found out I had a boyfriend.

It was from that moment on that she kept saying she was so amazed I would leave my boyfriend behind for "such a long time" (1.5 months, not that long) and she could not believe he "gave me permission" to leave. I tried to explain to her that 1) he trusts me and 2) I don't need his permission to do something like this. After that, she became distant.

Later that same day, we were given our roommate assignments for the summer. I ended up being paired with two guys and a girl in a four bedroom apartment. Right when Jaclyn found out, she started telling me that she "knows" that I will cheat on my boyfriend with my male roommates and I should just break up with my boyfriend now. I told her to gently caress off as politely as possible and got in the taxi with my new roommates. Once we moved in, I told them about this girl and we all laughed about it together. It even turns out both of the guys are gay.

For about a week I didn't hear anything from Jaclyn and it seemed that she found some new people to be friends with and I thought all was well. But then one night I got a message from my boyfriend telling me a girl who said I was "her new best friend" added him on every social media account he has (facebook and instagram). At first he didn't think anything of it, but he soon started to get messages from her saying that she was concerned about him and that he had a right to know that I was sleeping with both of my male roommates and hooking up with Italian guys at the bar.

Luckily he already knew the two guys in my apartment are gay and he talked to me about my alleged hooking up before believing anything she said. I told him what's really happening and he seemed a little freaked out by this girl and blocked her. I confronted Jaclyn about this the next day and told her to cut this stuff out, but she acted like she had no idea what I was talking about.

It's been a week since that happened and things are getting worse. Not only is she making fake facebook accounts to send my boyfriend bad photoshopped pictures of me with other guys, she's following me everywhere I go to "keep an eye on me". I tried talking to our program advisor here but Jaclyn manipulated her into thinking that we are just two friends that hit a rough patch and I don't want her around me.

So all in all, I tried talking to her and I tried talking to an authority figure with no luck, what should I do Relationships?

tl;dr: Girl is convinced I'm cheating on my boyfriend while I'm abroad and won't stop following me in hopes of actually catching me in the act.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cock hero flux posted:

overactive self-sacrificing woman who puts phd thesis level work into making lunch for someone and embryonic sitcom dad isn't a great match

As I discovered

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

"See, look babe, I even made a Reddit post about how that girl is crazy and I definitely didn't cheat on you!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna need to see these photoshops.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Uh, isn't the simple solution to maybe not play like a hardcore professional competitive MtG player whenever he's at home playing a casual game with his friends and girlfriend??? Maybe play with less common casual rulesets that equalize the playing field? I don't get it. Same deal if you're a pro League of Legends or Overwatch etc player. It's possible to play Overwatch and not take it seriously in casual matches with friends without trying to crush the other team with your sick nasty skills, just like with Magic cards.

Dude is a wet blanket idiot and has no idea how to have fun. He should be like "Well, I'm trying my best to find alternative play modes that work for my girlfriend", considering it's his loving partner he apparently cares about, but instead he has every excuse for why playing at top competitive children's card game efficiency is the only answer for some reason.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 30, 2017

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fuckin tryhards

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its extra weird because its really easy to equalize a game of magic, given the deck is all you play with. So he enjoys the game at its peak design level, he should learn to enjoy it when he can only use commons to beat her all rarities deck.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What if his girlfriend is the MTG equivalent of a gains goblin?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Its extra weird because its really easy to equalize a game of magic, given the deck is all you play with. So he enjoys the game at its peak design level, he should learn to enjoy it when he can only use commons to beat her all rarities deck.

No don't you get it then he's not playing at peak efficiency and if he's not trying to win as efficiently as possible then the game isn't fun!!!!

Seriously though there’s just the type of person who can’t just play games casually. I don’t get it myself, but to them it’s just not possible to play a game and NOT try to win as hard as they can. Like doing that just isn’t fun for them. I dunno how to loving deal with these people, because I avoid playing any kind of game with them as much as possible.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

chumbler posted:

Goblin decks are gimmicks at best and while they have the potential to be strong they are easily and consistently beaten if you just buy this one deck for about $135

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to dumb your decks down enough to give people who are bad at magic a fighting chance. In highschool I had a friends circle where we all played competative magic, went to tournaments and such. I also had other friends I hung out with that liked magic but were incredibly casual about it, nothing wrong with that of course but even when I put together some of the dumbest theme decks (we're talking using giant spider and such) they would make such flagrantly bad tactical decisions that you'd still win the vast majority of the time.

The best method I'd find is just taking decks from sealed/drafts, (so literally, basically random commons in the same color), padding them out to 60 cards with some extra duplicates, and even then that wasn't enough most of the time because they simply didn't know their way around the rules of the game well enough.

If he's actually rolling out tourny decks against his friends tho yeah he is a total rear end in a top hat.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
This is all so fascinating

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
Son of Mirthless: The DeMirthening

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
It sounds like the problem is more about time he's committing to her vs his children's card game and she's just expressing it through the game anyways. Like I bet if they had other kinds of quality time together she wouldn't really care if he played magic differently than her.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
It sounds like his girlfriend might not even be bad at Magic cards and has legit interest in the game. She's just not spending literally all of her spare time to the point that it's her all-encompassing second job like he is on the game. His friends and girlfriend can't possibly compete with his level of strategy and game knowledge when he spends every walking moment on MtG, paired with how he's a lame idiot who cannot play casually.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 30, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I bet he only ever played Fox, Final Destination, no items.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
People who play magic are always weirdos. Always. I used to work at a nerd store and the magic players were always the worst to deal with. These are guys that would try to hustle literal children out of their cards to the point where I had to tell all the kids to come get me if an adult was trying to get them to trade something because so many kids got got for their poo poo.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It sounds like his girlfriend might not even be bad at Magic cards. She's just not spending literally all of her spare time to the point that it's her all-encompassing second job like he is on the game. His friends and girlfriend can't possibly compete with his level of strategy and game knowledge when he spends every walking moment on MtG, paired with how he's a lame idiot who cannot play casually.
I mean what do you mean by play casually? Do you want him to intentionally make mistakes? Magic isn't like a video game where you can sorta just pick characters you don't understand and dick around even against people newer to the game, if you know the rules well you're gonna stomp on people even if you're using bad cards. He didn't really specify whether he used worse decks or not tho so yeah if he's rolling out 500$ netdecks against them he clearly is incapable of even trying to be fun about it. I'm just saying that if the skill gap is high even if he's using a 1 dollar stack of garbage and let them borrow his serious decks he'd probably still win and there's not really a good way to "play worse" without just intentionally letting your opponent win.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I beat a woman from OkCupid at scrabble once and date was downhill from there despite be being a good sport.

("You wouldn't let your date win?!")

This was a week after "I'm a vegetarian but it's not a big deal" woman pitched a fit I ordered Chicken tikka masala on our date.

women are terrible

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

But dating smarter people is a wise move, genetically.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

I mean what do you mean by play casually? Do you want him to intentionally make mistakes? Magic isn't like a video game where you can sorta just pick characters you don't understand and dick around even against people newer to the game, if you know the rules well you're gonna stomp on people even if you're using bad cards. He didn't really specify whether he used worse decks or not tho so yeah if he's rolling out 500$ netdecks against them he clearly is incapable of even trying to be fun about it. I'm just saying that if the skill gap is high even if he's using a 1 dollar stack of garbage and let them borrow his serious decks he'd probably still win and there's not really a good way to "play worse" without just intentionally letting your opponent win.

It sounds like he's intentionally curbstomping his girlfriend with strong decks and spending forever on turns to calculate perfect lethal damage or how to draw his combos optimally or whatever when he says he can't play without going all out. His friends and girlfriend are probably sitting back with a beer having a nice night while he's sperging out on the rules and discussing perfect strategies for the deck he's playing.

I'm just saying there's no way he's being a fair, decent sport about their skill gap. I know this type of CCG/TCG/FPS/fighting game/board game/etc player who never gives up on being insanely competitive in every setting, no matter where he is. It's an issue with his attitude towards his girlfriend and friends and very little to do with the game.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

therobit posted:

I don't see where she is saying he had an asthma attack and had to go to the hospital, so I am thinking that this allergy is being exaggerated because he is a big baby.

I have literally been hospitalised by an asthma attack triggered by smoke, but it's not like a single whiff puts me into shock. I just know how to limit my exposure to a point where I'm merely sick and choking when I'm around people who smoke - because I put a lot of effort into avoiding the smoke itself - which it sounds like he's doing. The bigger baby is the lady who can't stop sucking on her pacifier long enough to eat.

ArbitraryC posted:

considering he was exposed to the smoke several times and didn't have any tangible reaction other than being grossed out my verdict would be that he's a baby that needs to sack up. I don't smoke and was super glad when places started banning indoor smoke but if I'm visiting family or friends or whatever in their own home and they wanna chainsmoke, you just put up with it. After a bit i feel like you don't even notice the smell much until you go back out to get some fresh air. Really the worst part is it gets stuck to your clothes.

It's not their house though it's their asthmatic mum's? That they rent out to other people as a holiday place?

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't disagree with that, frankly if it bothers him that much/he's that sensitive he should've been clued in not to go as soon as his GF mentioned there are multiple people who smoke heavily in and around the house.

That's not acceptable either:

quote:

Aunt gets offended by this and thinks Boyfriend is avoiding her.

quote:

Family is very important to Mom (especially now,) so I don't know how to tell her that I think they just can't be together.

quote:

My mother is pressuring me to find a solution to this. She doesn't accept that the solution is to not do this again.

I mean this is the solution:

quote:

I let them know that Boyfriend is allergic to the smoke and ask that they please keep the sliding glass door shut so he is not exposed to it. They quietly agree.

But they can't be bothered to even do that, because they don't believe that someone can not enjoy smoke, let alone be physically harmed by it. He's "rude" because he doesn't want to hug someone with a cigarette in their mouth.

They don't care about anyone other than themselves. :sever:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

It sounds like he's intentionally curbstomping his girlfriend with strong deck by spending forever on turns to calculate perfect lethal damage or how to draw his combos optimally or whatever when he says he can't play without going all out. His friends and girlfriend are probably sitting back with a beer having a nice night while he's sperging out on the rules and discussing perfect strategies for the deck he's playing.

I'm just saying there's no way he's being a fair, decent sport about their skill gap. I know this type of CCG/TCG/FPS/fighting game/board game player who never gives up on being insanely competitive in every setting, no matter where he is. It's an issue with his attitude towards his girlfriend and friends and very little to do with the game.
That's certainly possible I'm just speaking from personal experience that even when I tried to give my friends who were more casual every possible advantage it's pretty hard to even the playing field in a turned based strategy game. Like I guess I could simply opt to make bad decisions over and over again but at that point it wouldn't have been fun for me either. Mostly tho everyone I played with was a good sport about it and simply enjoyed the cool combos I came up with for otherwise bad cards, after all if they were playing casually it's not like they'd that upset over losses either right?

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

My [28F] MIL [58F] punched me and my husband did nothing.

quote:

Background info: My MIL has never liked me because she's always believed that I am not good enough for her son and because I have different religious beliefs. My hubby and I married three years ago and in this time my MIL has been verbally abusive to me countless times but I normally brush it off for the sake of my hubby.

What happened: It was our son's first birthday yesterday and we invited the family round for a party to celebrate. MIL showed up drunk and I told her that she couldn't drink anymore until the party was over. She complained to my hubby who then gave her a gin and tonic because it was a celebration and from there she steadily drank more and more. When she started grabbing my son and threatening to take him away from me, I immediately took him away at which point my MIL punched me in the stomach.

My husband did nothing and insisted it didn't matter because she was drunk and didn't mean it. At the time, I didn't want to make a fuss because I wanted our son to enjoy his birthday but later I told my husband that his mother's behaviour was unacceptable and he promised to make her apologise.

The kicker? She didn't apologise and he doesn't seem to take it seriously that she punched me. It wasn't a soft punch. It was a full force, venomous punch that I now have a bruise as a result.

How do I deal with a spineless husband and bitchy MIL?

Throwaway because some of my family have Reddit and I would prefer them to not hear the story if possible.

X-posted to JustNoMil after learning of it.

Edit: My husband, FIL and BIL would all cover for MIL if the police were involved.

Edit: I am currently on my way to my brother's house with my son. I have decided that for tonight at least I need some space. I will file a report immediately tomorrow morning and proceed from there. Thank you for everything!

tl;dr: My MIL punched me at my son's birthday and my husband doesn't seem to care. How can I get him to deal with his mother?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

You'd be surprised at how hard it is to dumb your decks down enough to give people who are bad at magic a fighting chance. In highschool I had a friends circle where we all played competative magic, went to tournaments and such. I also had other friends I hung out with that liked magic but were incredibly casual about it, nothing wrong with that of course but even when I put together some of the dumbest theme decks (we're talking using giant spider and such) they would make such flagrantly bad tactical decisions that you'd still win the vast majority of the time.

The best method I'd find is just taking decks from sealed/drafts, (so literally, basically random commons in the same color), padding them out to 60 cards with some extra duplicates, and even then that wasn't enough most of the time because they simply didn't know their way around the rules of the game well enough.

If he's actually rolling out tourny decks against his friends tho yeah he is a total rear end in a top hat.

Well and you also have the issue that if/when he starts tweaking that draft/sealed deck a bit it's going to very rapidly become tournament-esque enough to be brutal on the sort of casual player you're describing. And while teaching people to play and enjoy the game is fun I can definitely see how constantly being in teaching mode or playing with severe handicaps would get old.

However there are still usually ways of enjoying the game with others that he's not considering- i.e. if Standard is his thing he probably just shouldn't play that with his girlfriend and his other friends and should instead look into playing limited with them (especially a cube), or acquire/put together sets of well-matched decks from formats he doesn't focus on as much.

e:

It sounds like he's intentionally curbstomping his girlfriend with strong decks and spending forever on turns to calculate perfect lethal damage or how to draw his combos optimally or whatever when he says he can't play without going all out. His friends and girlfriend are probably sitting back with a beer having a nice night while he's sperging out on the rules and discussing perfect strategies for the deck he's playing.

I'm just saying there's no way he's being a fair, decent sport about their skill gap. I know this type of CCG/TCG/FPS/fighting game/board game/etc player who never gives up on being insanely competitive in every setting, no matter where he is. It's an issue with his attitude towards his girlfriend and friends and very little to do with the game.

So yes, it sounds exactly like you're expecting him to play badly for their benefit. Which really isn't fair to him at all- he's spent a lot of time mastering the appropriate skills and it's pretty absurd to expect him to play badly and enjoy himself. Fighting games are probably a good example- it's good sportsmanship for the stronger player to pick a weaker character, but getting mad when they make proper use of the game mechanics and win anyway is just caddish on the part of the weaker player.

I also think you're reading stuff into his behavior that isn't there- it really doesn't sound like he's taking pleasure in unfairly stomping his girlfriend and friends, it's just that the skill gap is making it hard to have an enjoyable experience for both parties.

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 31, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

LGD posted:

Well and you also have the issue that if/when he starts tweaking that draft/sealed deck a bit it's going to very rapidly become tournament-esque enough to be brutal on the sort of casual player you're describing. And while teaching people to play and enjoy the game is fun I can definitely see how constantly being in teaching mode or playing with severe handicaps would get old.

However there are still usually ways of enjoying the game with others that he's not considering- i.e. if Standard is his thing he probably just shouldn't play that with his girlfriend and his other friends and should instead look into playing limited with them (especially a cube), or acquire/put together sets of well-matched decks from formats he doesn't focus on as much.
Buying bulk commons to make a crap stack is the obvious solution.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

I Was The Fury posted:

My [28F] MIL [58F] punched me and my husband did nothing.

She uses the word hubby, punching is completely justified.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
if you're so good at a given leisure activity that you will absolutely crush any of your friends unless you intentionally lose, play another game. if you can't bear to do that then i guess you have to have different friends if you won't do anything but play magic when you have spare time

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Buying bulk commons to make a crap stack is the obvious solution.

or just play multiplayer Type 4 or something- there are a lot of options for casual play where you don't need to stop playing well

or play another game like Dominion or something

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chumbler posted:

Strength is health; Magic is just a hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

If you can't figure out a way to play down to other players and still have fun you're probably bad at magic. Like seriously just give your casual friend a decent deck full of big green stompy creatures and build a deck around test of endurance or some other gimmick.

If you have problem brewing a deck that a new player can win with, maybe the problem is you. It's not chess, you can level the playing field.