Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Oh man, this pointing system is hot garbage. Hopefully, the actual codices will have a neater system down the road.

Battlescribe, ho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
What really gets me is the servo harness and "it's known to be".

I really appreciate what Warmachine did when they simplified and shrunk down point costs and i'm really hoping that in the eventual second ed of Dropzone we'll see something similar. Just give me a squad of tanks with a dropship for 15 points instead of adding up five separate things to 152.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

TTerrible posted:

It's pretty cool. When I saw the objectives on warhammer community I assumed the tank would be done the same way as the forge world zone mortalis one, just a seperate clear sprue. Wonder why they bothered to upgrade to this given the low volume of non-grey plastic they put out in kits.

It'll be an appreciable efficiency saving down the road. They won't have to schedule separate runs when they need canopies etc. It may even lead to (or be in response to) a greater use of transparent elements in future kits. Helmet visors for updated Guardsmen spring to mind.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Bistromatic posted:

Must be one of those fancy private schools for rich kids.

Algonquin College, for all your Sigmar needs!

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

updated Guardsmen

I want those
I want them bad

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

I want those
I want them bad

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/Regiments/Regiments-Range-Guide

Should hopefully mix OK with Victoria Lamb

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

:agreed: The FFG star wars RPG dice system is cool and good

Unironically looking forward to the FFG sci-fi wargame using some custom dice to break the entire rolling mechanic down to 1 roll from each player and still keeping the complexity of different units being good/bad against different things.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo Chill, there are Bastillidon bits on sale here if you want them. If they're not there by the time you read this, though, you might have to wait and keep checking, until they turn up again.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Irate Tree posted:

Yo Chill, there are Bastillidon bits on sale here if you want them. If they're not there by the time you read this, though, you might have to wait and keep checking, until they turn up again.

I think Chill likes the intellectual exercise of owning a bastillidon over the actual physical ownership of one.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bad Moon posted:

I think Chill likes the intellectual exercise of owning a bastillidon over the actual physical ownership of one.

Yeah, thanks for the update but I realized at some point that it's nicer as a white whale for me. I have a lot of other figures to make before then. At least, for now, I can think of it as a platonic ideal with the perfect paint scheme and everything.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's really cool. It has :krad: 80s neon thing going on and the skinks all have chillin' sunglasses while sipping juice and the snakes are really trippy too

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They better have rainbow frills and a loose, water-effect lightning bolt running 'round their sides.

Have a thing, thread;

Irate Tree posted:

Meet Darben, the Barbarian Infantryman (his parents couldn't decide on whether to call him Darren or Ben and compromised)

If ever there were a man who believed himself king fist of punch mountain, it is Darben.

I think that hammer is compensating for something...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
He looks like a man that wakes up in the afternoon, throws off his blanket of dried corpses an the voices tell him "punch the mountain then drink the dwarves within!"

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's getting used for his canon.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Clawtopsy posted:

A few pages of the new Codex CSM were leaked, and even from those few pages, Obliterators firing once can result in up to 7 rolls of the dice.

GW, masters of sleek game design

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Hope for good rules design from GW is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

It's still surprising to me how many of the special rules for 40k involve rolling more dice or doing something on a particular result of a roll.

On a 6, this happens! With this piece of armour, roll a die! With this squad, roll these dice!

There's never any concerted attempt to remove randomness or allow players to make the outcomes more predictable. And there's zero chance they've thought it through from a balance perspective.

Rolling dice is not the same thing as player agency.

I can see they've already started to go down the Bloodsecrator route with 40k as well. There's like six or seven different plague-somethings listed in the data sheets for the starter box.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

On a 6, this happens! With this piece of armour, roll a die! With this squad, roll these dice!

There's never any concerted attempt to remove randomness or allow players to make the outcomes more predictable. And there's zero chance they've thought it through from a balance perspective.

Rolling dice is not the same thing as player agency.

This design approach has been working for Games Workshop for 30 years. It's the ingrained reflexive choice for every game mechanic. The surprise is the rare occasion where they do something different.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They dialled it up to 11 - sorry, 4D6 and on Wednesdays reroll ones - in AOS, I thought.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Please don't let :wedass: the wednesday frog be related to GW. Did the W stand for wednesday this entire time? :ohdear:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the bad thread.

That chaos dread is so loving tiny :(

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Irate Tree posted:

From the bad thread.

:hmbol: at the bigly naught

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Buy our big marines. You'll never notice the difference compared to classic marines.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Wait, so the Chaos dread is the same size as a standard old-school dread?

From the first pictures (with little to scale it against) I assumed it would just a box dread with longer limbs, but even discounting those the body looks 25-30 % bigger.

I'm not sure what to think about it - I like the design, but the sheer scale creep is giving me pause.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Even the new plague marines are bigger. This is how it will be going forward. If you have old stuff yeah you can use it but will it perform as well in game? Given GW's history of pushing new stuff to get people to buy no old stuff will probably not be as effective.

New GW or not they want people to buy new an hell or high water they'll make them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

From the bad thread.

I'm the blue robot's tiny, tiny toes

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I guess biglynaught has a regular sized dreadnought in it? I think it looks pretty dumb; but those boxy dreads have always been dumb

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
A big coffinbot for a big marine. Makes sense.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't really like it, but I am going to say that I am impressed GW managed to not cover the surfaces with dumb scribbly details. There are lots of smooth panels there they could have filled with skulls and weirdo protrusions but someone stayed their hand. So, you know, good job on that basic design feat, they're making progress!

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Hixson posted:

I guess biglynaught has a regular sized dreadnought in it? I think it looks pretty dumb; but those boxy dreads have always been dumb

"Hey guys, what about.... a dreadnought dreadknight?"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
you know what they say about bigmarines...

big helmets!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

EthanSteele posted:

A big coffinbot for a big marine. Makes sense.

I just remembered that Dreadnoughts had a near-dead Marine unturred in them - have enough Primus Marines (or whatever these new dudes are called) died already for them to make new 'noughts or are these regular dead Marines in new 'noughts?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

LashLightning posted:

I just remembered that Dreadnoughts had a near-dead Marine unturred in them - have enough Primus Marines (or whatever these new dudes are called) died already for them to make new 'noughts or are these regular dead Marines in new 'noughts?

The size of the coffin looks the same as a normal dread, so I assume it's existing marines in a new walker.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Regular dead marines who drank bigly juice and then died in battle?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
the unarmored life support cables running into the sarcophagus are a brilliant bit of design work

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Shadin posted:

The size of the coffin looks the same as a normal dread, so I assume it's existing marines in a new walker.

I would bet a modest sum of money that those are dreads for bigmarines.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'll take that bet, since the visuals line up with the idea that they're just taking old dreadnought sarcophoguseses and putting them into bigger chasiseses

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Undoubtedly they want the scale to match, but it looks like a normal sarcophagus, which would make sense since a BigMarine isn't going to have a Super Huge Primaris brain requiring a different box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I like the idea that, in universe, in the time it took to design and make these Bigly Marines, the Imperium also did 20+ foundings of Regular Marines, two of which caused more trouble than they solved, the 13th and 21st.

The Lamentors are going to look at the NuMarines and feel even more unlucky than usual!

• Locked thread