Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jimbot posted:

To be fair, Return to Oz was PG as well and that was the most terrifying kid's movie ever produced by humankind. Dethroning Watership Down.

Nonsense, it's fun for the family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0RFE3QGAU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
PG used to mean something way different.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Patty Jenkins came out against the idea of R-rated DC movies and confirmed one of my biggest complaints with Wonder Woman. They purposefully sanitized WWI by having everyone get shot in the leg and not showing the war because they wanted little girls to be able to watch it.

I don't have a problem with lighter tones or sanitizing violence as a rule, but when the whole movie leans incredibly heavily on "THIS IS THE WORST CARNAGE EVER. THE MOST BRUTAL WAR. THIS WAR IS UNLIKE ALL THE OTHERS. WHAT HATH MANKIND WROUGHT?" and has characters literally repeat those phrases multiple times throughout the movie to remind you, it really feels disconnected from the point they are trying to make.

It's just really strange to emphasize that so hard and then have everyone in no-man's-land get shot in the leg and then crawl to the trenches and get healed immediately. They only people who get seriously hurt in WWI were the people who got punched. It was weird.

Yeah that quote is some real hosed up poo poo. Oh its world war 1 so we had to make it pg13. What an inconvenience :rolleyes:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah that quote is some real hosed up poo poo. Oh its world war 1 so we had to make it pg13. What an inconvenience :rolleyes:

It seems fine that the rating is driven by the demands of the material.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I buy that; you're going to get a lot of younger people interested in this movie, it's not going to go the full Saving Private Ryan because they want to make money and not completely shut out kids.

What I don't buy is (GIANT ENDING SPOILERS) killing the big final boss immediately ending the war and making people act nice to each other. I get the why of how that happened, but seriously, WWI was a big dumb war with a bunch of poo poo behind it and having it all chalked up to "well the god of war is dead we just lost all desire to fight" is some severe bullshit. (i will grant that maybe it comes off better in the movie proper, I'm going entirely off of what people in the WW thread have been saying about it, but I'm pretty sure I didn't misinterpret.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I just realized some incredibly troubling implications of Wonder Woman. These are FACTS as established by the film.

- WW2 happened.
- If WW2 happened, then the Treaty of Versailles also happened.
- WW1 was caused by Ares.
- After Ares' influence is removed, the war ends.
- If WW1 was caused by Ares, then the seizure of German territory, disbanding of the German army, and making Germany pay for WW1 in the treaty of Versailles actually WAS an unfair persecution of the German people and crippled the country for no reason.
- WW2 was justified and Hiter was right.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 30, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think that's why people had a problem with Hitler.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Hey y'all, take the Wonder Woman discussion to the thread for it please.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820776

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I just realized some incredibly troubling implications of Wonder Woman. These are FACTS as established by the film.

- WW2 happened.
- If WW2 happened, then the Treaty of Versailles also happened.
- WW1 was caused by Ares.
- After Ares' influence is removed, the war ends.
- If WW1 was caused by Ares, then the seizure of German territory, disbanding of the German army, and making Germany pay for WW1 in the treaty of Versailles actually WAS an unfair persecution of the German people and crippled the country for no reason.
- WW2 was justified and Hiter was right.

The Treaty of Versailles was really bad and stupid for a large number of reasons. This is not a controversial opinion, but is, in fact, pretty close to the historical consensus.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He had a bit of a meltdown during the opening night

Edit: ah ha ha ha ha ha, apparently "insiders" are blaming Rotten Tomatoes for the film failing
https://twitter.com/jpodhoretz/status/868880066578534400

I like the Rock and all, but goddamn, Baywatch never looked good. At all.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I saw an article saying The Rock's response to Baywatch reviews sounds like Trump complaining about the media. He did say he wants to run for President.

edit:
Trailer for a new DCAU-style animated movie about Harley and The Bat(man).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL8uL1h8FA

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There is some rt fuckery, for example I've seen a review from one author out mushed in three outlets counted three times, or one co-authored review counted twice despite having one score, but I don't think it's intentional.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Let the FANS!!! watch what they want!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The MSJ posted:

I saw an article saying The Rock's response to Baywatch reviews sounds like Trump complaining about the media. He did say he wants to run for President.

These Stunners? Fake finishers. The worst finishers I've ever seen. Steve is a mess. Steve is a waste.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mordiceius posted:

I like the Rock and all, but goddamn, Baywatch never looked good. At all.

I don't remember, but were the trailers for 21 jump street as bland as the ones for Baywatch? Becuase whatever the reason, 21 Jump Street was really loving funny. It really surprised the heck out of me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
21 Jump Street was a bit of an anomaly. I don't think that the old show it was based on was popular enough for people to attach it to something old. I know I had never heard of 21 Jump Street before. However I have heard of Baywatch so when I hear about Baywatch reboot starring The Rock I just didn't give a poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

21 Jump Street was a bit of an anomaly. I don't think that the old show it was based on was popular enough for people to attach it to something old. I know I had never heard of 21 Jump Street before. However I have heard of Baywatch so when I hear about Baywatch reboot starring The Rock I just didn't give a poo poo.

Well, aside from 21 Jump St there was also Ben Stiller's Starsky and Hutch, which was also hilarious. Comedy from old shows can obviously be done, but for some reason, although I can't speak to Baywatch since I haven't seen it, it seems to be dumber these days. Like unfunny versions of Bad Boys 2.

I will also say that I am a huge fan of Hot Tub Time Machine. :colbert:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't care that Baywatch is a remake of a TV show. The trailers just weren't good. The Rock and Zack Efron can be funny but relying them on as your leads in a comedy with no other comedians in the movie? That was always going to be a risk. Neighbors had Seth Rogen. Central Intelligence had Kevin Hart. This movie has... hot girls and buff guys. That's a comedy red flag.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don't think 21 Jump Street, Neighbors, or Central Intelligence are funny. Most major comedies are legit real bad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mordiceius posted:

I don't think 21 Jump Street, Neighbors, or Central Intelligence are funny. Most major comedies are legit real bad.

You might not but the first two were successful and well-regarded enough to warrant sequels.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Detective No. 27 posted:

Let the FANS!!! watch what they want!!

I do like that it's always some dastardly cabal of critics out to ruin the day of Real American fans. At least when people say their movie isn't for critics they're keeping a foot in reality and acknowledging that critics aren't just out to spoil everyone's fun.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Baywatch is funny enough to catch when it hits cable or your preferred streaming platform. Maybe even get it from Redbox if you've got some friends coming over who like silly action comedies. However if you're doing anything more than, at most, catching the discount first showing of the day you're not getting your money's worth.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I actually thought Baywatch looked fairly fun although I wasn't planning on seeing it in theaters. Blaming RT for it bombing is just ludicrous tho, its target demo does not give the remotest poo poo about bad internet reviews I'd imagine

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The MSJ posted:

Its not really shocking since Rock is a Republican too

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think Charles Barkley has since renounced being a Republican, but in the 90's he had a quote:

quote:

My mom called me up and said, "I saw on the news that you said you're a Republican now. How can you do that Charles? You know they only look out for the rich!

I told her, "Momma, I AM the rich!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 31, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think Charles Barkley has since renounced being a Republican, but in the 90's he had a quote:

achillesforever6 posted:

Its not really shocking since Rock is a Republican too

Yeah, I think they're both anti-Trump (which is alright since they're not currently elected officials and thus are not beholden to a bunch of assholes who currently think Donald Trump is the poo poo i;e the Average Republican Voter) but they're still very much conservative. Barkley in particular is a big fan of respectability politics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jxo8vc2dHU

Flash having Sonic's sound effect cracks me up :haw:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Flash having Sonic's sound effect cracks me up :haw:

And the CW TV theme song.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

The MSJ posted:

edit:
Trailer for a new DCAU-style animated movie about Harley and The Bat(man).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPL8uL1h8FA

This must be the most blandest looking cartoon of all time, eugh!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

This must be the most blandest looking cartoon of all time, eugh!

Between this and his performance in Killing Joke, even Conroy sounds like he's completely bored with the role at this point.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
before he retires I want Conroy to voice Batman of Zur-En-Arrh in a Grant Morrison adaptation.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SleepCousinDeath posted:

before he retires I want Conroy to voice Batman of Zur-En-Arrh in a Grant Morrison adaptation.

He actually did in an episode of The Brave and The Bold.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Between this and his performance in Killing Joke, even Conroy sounds like he's completely bored with the role at this point.

He was real good in Injustice 2.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Codependent Poster posted:

He was real good in Injustice 2.

Yeah it's not the role, it's the material, and most likely weak direction as well. If I was in the pipe for half a dozen of these lovely shitfuck nu-DCAU movies I'd be phoning it in too.

At this point bringing back the old Bruce Timm art style is just the spraypainted cherry on this turd sundae.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What was the point where the DCAU turned into trash?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The MSJ posted:

So this is interesting: Not long after Sony announced a Venom-sans-Spidey movie starring Tom Hardy, Marvel announces a new comic book event.

Eddie Brock teams up with various symbiote-enhanced Marvel heroes from across the multiverse, including Agent Venom (Flash Thompson), Gwenom (Gwenpool), the T-rex from Old Man Logan, and Pork Grind (Peter Porker).

I remember being Real Mad about Topher Grace being cast as Venom, but now looking back Venom's not a very interesting character whatsoever. Dude ruled in the 90s but I dunno what you can really do with him unless we get Mac Gargan 'Cannibal Venom'.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ideally, the Venom movie should be a 90s period piece.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ideally, the Venom movie should be a 90s period piece.

It needs to have all the 90's tropes worked into the script.

- Venom gets digitized and sent into the WORLD WIDE WEB to fight a computer program.
- He gets a genius inventor sidekick (played by Seth Green) who creates a beeper that has unlimited battery life and SMS capability.
- His goal in the movie is to lose his virginity, get a seat at the cool kids' lunch table, and win the big game.
- A pop-punk or ska band will perform as themselves at some point in the movie.
- At the end, the girl falls in love with him when he removes his symbiote glasses.
- The final scene is a shot of a high school yearbook page with Venom. His senior quote is a line from Fight Club.
- Post-Credits scene with Freddie Prinze Jr. for some reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 1, 2017

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

sean10mm posted:

What was the point where the DCAU turned into trash?

Everything from B:TAS to JLU is self-contained and mostly great. There are some self-contained movies that are fair to middling, then you get to JL: Gods and Monsters and The Killing Joke where you find out Bruce Timm broke his brain somewhere.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Killing Joke still pisses me off.

They did that just about every wrong way they could have. You'd think that the voice acting could at least save it for when they're quoting the actual comic, but no, the direction was god awful and they rushed through every single line of dialogue as fast as possible. Nothing is given any time to breathe and nothing is allowed to have any kind of weight.

We had the perfect voice cast for it and they pissed it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Gods and Monsters is the only recent one I've enjoyed, Magnus and the Metal Men are the best.

• Locked thread