Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

I feel like watching either The Rescuers or Anastasia this afternoon. Any recommendation one way or the other?

Anastasia! Once Upon A December is one of my favorite songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YggiDee posted:

I missed out on the later Futurama seasons, how bad did it get?

I felt like the characters were just written as caricatures of themselves which I guess is a dumb thing to say about cartoon characters but whatever. Some say it was fine but to me it became an unwatchable mess about two seasons into the revival. Maybe it got better, I just couldn't give it a chance.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I gave up at the Susan Boyle episode.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
At least stuck the landing with the finale and The Late Philip J Fry is up there in the best episodes the show had in its run.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

It really didn't get that bad. It had some crappy episodes but so did the originals and some of the best episodes in the run were there. The movies were probably the weakest part overall, they just didn't work as well as self-contained episodes.

What are the good episodes in the later season then?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

What are the good episodes in the later season then?

The Late Philip J. Fry and Meanwhile are both as good as the frachise has ever been and I enjoyed the Prisoner of Benda and Murder on the Planet Express a fair bit, not to mention scattered episodes here and there. Not every one is a hit (and the Susan Boyle episode is genuinely one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen) but it was a fun enough revival I felt.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think more than anything else, the Futurama revival was just uneven. You got some episodes like Murder on the Planet Express, which in my opinion stands up with the very best of the show's original run, and a whole bunch of episodes which... do not.

Really though, the natural state of things is that even if you do wrangle up a bunch of the original talent that made a show good, you're never going to get every piece that made the show what it originally was. There's just always going to be key talent that moves on to bigger and better things that you can't get back-a good example being The Simpsons, which featured the work of incredibly talented guys like Sam Simon, David X. Cohen, Conan O'Brien, Brad Bird, Phil Hartman, John Swartzwelder, and so many others. Once those guys move on to create their own things, there's no bringing them back-and in a way, you have to accept it's best that they moved on, since if you don't then you don't have David Cohen co-creating Futurama, or Brad Bird directing for Pixar. There's also the fact that editorial practices change, budgets shift, production methods change, and not always for the better. Back in the old days, the Simpsons used to have a writers retreat where each writer would pitch an episode, and it was at one of these that Conan O'Brien famously pitched three episodes, including candidate for series greatest Marge vs. the Monorail. But, in the twenty years since, the story retreats ceased-and it's hard to say that the modern show's quality would measurably benefit even if they did bring them back, since it's just not a part of the modern culture of the production staff.

tl;dr change is inevitable, death is certain

Edit: Oh yeah the Prisoner of Benda is utterly fantastic and had me in loving stitches.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 31, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Finally watched Ralph Bakshi's American Pop and it might be in my top 5 animated films of all time.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What are people's choices for the longest running show that was great the whole time?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

What are people's choices for the longest running show that was great the whole time?

Animated only, or?

Because 30 Rock never faltered over 7 glorious seasons

Animation wise... Venture Bros, once it hit its stride in season 2, has been top notch ever since. It's only had 6 short seasons but it definitely counts as "long running" when you consider it's usually 3 years between each season :shepface:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Animated only, or?

Animation wise... Venture Bros, once it hit its stride in season 2, has been top notch ever since. It's only had 6 short seasons but it definitely counts as "long running" when you consider it's usually 3 years between each season :shepface:

yeah, Venture Bros. is one of my favourites

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

starkebn posted:

Malcom In The Middle

Granted I completely forget if I even saw the last two seasons, and I haven't seen it in years, but hell I can't think of a single episode I watched that I didn't enjoy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Venture Bros is the best show that's hard to get people into. You really have to get them through that first season :/

Last time I managed to get someone into it I had to give them a curated list of season 1 episodes to watch, and told them to skip the rest.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Malcom In The Middle

My whole family watched that together from beginning to end. Awesome show.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Malcom In The Middle

Granted I completely forget if I even saw the last two seasons, and I haven't seen it in years, but hell I can't think of a single episode I watched that I didn't enjoy.

It has certainly changed a lot over time, it basically reinvents itself every season. I don't have any problem with how it was in the first season though, but the later seasons have a lot more scope to work with the material they've built up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably an unpopular opinion but South Park.

King of the Hill, for sure though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Early South Park is unwatchable now.

Later seasons have a really varied mix of legitimately great episodes (which could rank amongst the best comedy tv of all time let alone animation) and bad filler. It's too up and down to say there's any consistency of quality.

The latest season was irredeemably loving terrible.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Harvey Birman Attorney at Law, I know that's not long in the traditional sense (2001 - 2007), but it reuses old hanna-barbers characters in a creative way. An example would be Shaggy gets into a court battle with one of the knockoff Scooby-Doo characters and Harvey has to defend Shaggy in court. Each episode was packed full of comedy and wit, and they seemed to go out of there way to keep the characters on model and lot of nice hand poses which I appreciate. The show has a lot of love for the old cartoons but also creates its own universe which is cool.

What I'm saying is it's a good show, there is only two animation topics in all of SA so if I have an excuse to talk about it I will :colbert:.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

starkebn posted:

My whole family watched that together from beginning to end. Awesome show.

Aw, mine too. :3:

I'm in agreement that Venture Bros is probably the best series for the longest run.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hedrigall posted:

Animated only, or?

If we're counting 7 seasons, then Archer (thread relevant!) and Parks and Recreation both hit the 7 season mark without being bad (aside from the first 6 episodes of Parks which doesn't count). Cheers is basically two shows taped together with (mostly) the same cast, but you could watch an episode from any season and enjoy it. Law and Order also, by virtue of being incredibly episodic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Harvey Birdman is great :3:

Another one: I've only seen season 1 of Babylon 5 so far but people say that its entire 100+ episode run was amazing

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
When you're talking the greatest quality for the longest time, I think you still can't beat the Simpsons. From 1989 to 1998, over the course of over 200 episodes, you had a show that was outrageously funny, genuinely emotionally affecting, and was a cultural icon the likes of which will we'll probably never see again. Obviously the show declined into a shadow of its former self pretty quickly after/around the 9th season, and thus can hardly be called great throughout its entire run, but for what it was, as long as it was, it can't be equaled.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

When you're talking the greatest quality for the longest time, I think you still can't beat the Simpsons. From 1989 to 1998, over the course of over 200 episodes, you had a show that was outrageously funny, genuinely emotionally affecting, and was a cultural icon the likes of which will we'll probably never see again. Obviously the show declined into a shadow of its former self pretty quickly after/around the 9th season, and thus can hardly be called great throughout its entire run, but for what it was, as long as it was, it can't be equaled.

Seinfeld.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia​ isn't showing any signs of decline.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I feel like watching either The Rescuers or Anastasia this afternoon. Any recommendation one way or the other?
Well, watching The Rescuers does put you closer to watching its Australia-based sequel, so there's that. It's not a half-bad movie in and of itself, either!

Though between the two, I'd probably pick Anastasia. I haven't seen it in a while to know if it's as good as I remember it being, but I remember it being pretty good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia​ isn't showing any signs of decline.

This is the best half hour sitcom show on tv.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
For some reason I got a half-remembered thought stuck in my head today of an old animation/cartoon that I haven't seen in over 20 years.

As best as I can remember, it was an animated short that involved the white gloves of a saxophone player in some club that come to life and decide to strike out on their own. The pair of gloves get in over their heads as they explore the seedy clubs and streets of the city around them and it ultimately ends with one of them dying. That was the image the came to me out of the blue - A single white glove holding his mate's lifeless body in the middle of the gutter.

I believe it was just a single segment of a larger anthology that aired on a late night premium channel like HBO or Showtime back in early 90's.

I tried my google-fu and came up empty, so I'm wondering if anyone happens to have a clue what I'm talking about?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Vakal posted:

For some reason I got a half-remembered thought stuck in my head today of an old animation/cartoon that I haven't seen in over 20 years.

As best as I can remember, it was an animated short that involved the white gloves of a saxophone player in some club that come to life and decide to strike out on their own. The pair of gloves get in over their heads as they explore the seedy clubs and streets of the city around them and it ultimately ends with one of them dying. That was the image the came to me out of the blue - A single white glove holding his mate's lifeless body in the middle of the gutter.

I believe it was just a single segment of a larger anthology that aired on a late night premium channel like HBO or Showtime back in early 90's.

I tried my google-fu and came up empty, so I'm wondering if anyone happens to have a clue what I'm talking about?

That really sounds familiar. Searching just now, Animaniacs did a segment involving anthropomorphised gloves called White Gloves. Not sure if it's the same one, but you could probably find it online to watch and see :)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Watching Anastasia now :munch:

This should suitably prepare me to read China Miéville's new non-fiction book about the October revolution :ussr:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This is enjoyable so far but i keep pausing every 10 minutes or so to watch clips from A Goofy Movie, is that weird?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress is Bartok's accent? :psyduck:

Everything about "In the Dark of the Night" is a total "Be Prepared" rip-off right down to Jim Cummings singing it

I'd like this movie 10x more without all the supernatural stuff (hey, isn't that basically what the new stage musical is?)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

What the gently caress is Bartok's accent? :psyduck:

... Fargo???

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Das Boo posted:

... Fargo???

Well half the time he sounds like that Canadian/northern US accent but the other half he sounds like Peter Lorre as Mr Cairo in the Maltese Falcon but most of all why?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The Empress's lady in waiting is certainly buxom! Oh, Don Bluth, you :allears:

I like the use of Impressionism in the Paris song :)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 31, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

The Empress's lady in waiting is certainly buxom! Oh, Don Bluth, you :allears:

All I can think of now is all the bluthing in that dragon lady song from the Bartok sequel.
HEDDY, I WAS GONNA GO TO BED. :cry:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Early South Park is unwatchable now.

Later seasons have a really varied mix of legitimately great episodes (which could rank amongst the best comedy tv of all time let alone animation) and bad filler. It's too up and down to say there's any consistency of quality.

The latest season was irredeemably loving terrible.

I guess it's down to personal opinion. I give the first two seasons of anything a pass because it's trying to find its feet and while a lot of people hated the last few seasons I still tuned in and thought it was good.

If we're going to do the most consistent stretch of being good from start to end then I'll go with Futurama original run. There was literally not an episode in those four seasons I thought was bad or even sub-par, right from day one. I can't say that about any other animated show I can think of. The longest stretch of being consistently but good, but not necessarily from day one through to the end, probably goes to Simpsons for S3/4 through 8 or something, then if we're going to allow a few misses I'll put Bob's Burgers and King of the Hill in for honourable mention.

I'm keeping it to animated shows because we're in an animation thread because obviously any sane person would throw in It's Always Sunny :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 31, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

starkebn posted:

Sesame Street

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Samuel Clemens posted:

Sesame Street

I can not agree with this, once Elmo came along Sesame Street changed for the worse. Probably not just because of that character but the tone of things was so much more "Henson" in the earlier days

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

starkebn posted:

Having watched the Twitch marathons, Mr. Rogers and Bob Ross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

The news