Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Cyclobenzoprine is Flexeril.

Confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I guess I just didn't expect the scale of it, despite knowing the size of the college.

And it's not even a big school with just under 30k student.

Almost once a year you'll get a speech by major celebrity, some titan of industry, or a serious political leader. Before I transferred I managed to see the Dali Lama give a commencement to Tulane University.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Cyclobenzoprine is Flexeril.

Yeah I'm retarded, it was one of the sedating H1 antagonists like cyclizine or some poo poo. Which struck me as profoundly retarded at the time given that I had worked up to like 150-200mg doses of diphenhydramine just to get my brain to turn off at night over the year prior.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The school administration has been way more accommodating to me as a "high performance athlete" than they ever were as a disabled vet. The change was pretty much night and day. Deferred exams, tutoring, a more flexible schedule, I can even ask profs to be graded on a reduced workload.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Duh, athletes make more money for the school

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The school administration has been way more accommodating to me as a "high performance athlete" than they ever were as a disabled vet. The change was pretty much night and day. Deferred exams, tutoring, a more flexible schedule, I can even ask profs to be graded on a reduced workload.

What sport?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Track and Field. It's not very glamorous but I qualified for National Championships and got a slot on Team Canada for Invictus.

I got a call from the Disabled Students Centre congratulating me on my success and offering me all those athletic accommodations.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
All B+'s and 1 A this semester. I'll take it. I slacked off and tried not to be anal about poo poo and had a much more pleasurable semester.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Upside: One definite A so far, with the other two finals later in the week probably rounding the classes off with two Bs.

Downside: I appear to be hosed for the 2017-2018 bachelors-level PA program deadline, so hoo-loving-ray I'm going to have to slap together an undergrad and buckle in for another couple of years more than I'd thought.

Silver lining on the poo poo cloud is the strong possibility of not having to move to the other end of the country. Maybe if I'm really lucky, just maybe possibly getting VR&E money if I can find out where the gently caress my med record CD is (plus the jumblefuck password structure) and the VA doesn't gently caress with me over a sleep apnea diagnosis.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I did some more art

I like this one the best.

Rules were two pieces of paper and a self portrait.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
anyone else taking summer classes? I get my gi bill money starting next month, very excited about being paid to go to school.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:peanut:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
High five, dude!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

anyone else taking summer classes? I get my gi bill money starting next month, very excited about being paid to go to school.

Me

Color Photography 3XX and Art History 101 at first then moving to Philosophy and Theology (core requirements)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Hell yea, I love summer classes! One on campus and one online. Take quizzes where you can google the question and get answers and the professors don't give a gently caress. Summer rules for irrelevant credits!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, my advisor and comm professor was very real with us when he said that most professors in summer classes don't wanna be there so most poo poo is way easier.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, same here. My networking class has straight up 2 projects cut from the semester.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah. Our summer semester ends the day before the fall semester begins :(

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Intro to Education right now, finishing in about 3 more weeks.

Next week, Education Psychology and American History start up. All online.

Grem posted:

Hell yea, I love summer classes! One on campus and one online. Take quizzes where you can google the question and get answers and the professors don't give a gently caress. Summer rules for irrelevant credits!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I'm taking intersession accounting and I am really glad I took this for three weeks instead of having to take this for three months.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

I know for actual no-poo poo med school it's pretty much Biology BS (or something along those lines) or bust, but I'm wondering if PA programs actually give that much of a poo poo beyond "biology/science degree preferred". I figure it's a lot more of a non-issue given how the PA profession in general is a lot more of an oddity than the straight shot MD or even ADN/BSN/NP kind of paths, but I figure it can't hurt to ask just in case someone has any specific insights.

Even though it kinda feels like a cop-out despite that being a retarded line of thought, technically Exercise Science falls under the Kinesiology department of the Health Professions College anyway. All I'd have to do then is become an ortho-bro to really sink that stereotype.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I know for actual no-poo poo med school it's pretty much Biology BS (or something along those lines) or bust, but I'm wondering if PA programs actually give that much of a poo poo beyond "biology/science degree preferred". I figure it's a lot more of a non-issue given how the PA profession in general is a lot more of an oddity than the straight shot MD or even ADN/BSN/NP kind of paths, but I figure it can't hurt to ask just in case someone has any specific insights.

Even though it kinda feels like a cop-out despite that being a retarded line of thought, technically Exercise Science falls under the Kinesiology department of the Health Professions College anyway. All I'd have to do then is become an ortho-bro to really sink that stereotype.

It varies from program to program, often in terms of required courseload (organic chemistry and the like)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It varies from program to program, often in terms of required courseload (organic chemistry and the like)

Yep, just weighing current credits plus pre-reqs still missing against different undergrad degrees to find the shortest non-poo poo path there. It doesn't really hurt that I'm already intimately familiar with most of the Exercise Science coursework via extracurricular hobbies, for what it's worth. I shouldn't need much more for prereqs as it is, A&P2 plus biochem and/or o-chem, maybe genetics, and medical terminology which is probably gonna be hilariously dumb.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Yep, just weighing current credits plus pre-reqs still missing against different undergrad degrees to find the shortest non-poo poo path there. It doesn't really hurt that I'm already intimately familiar with most of the Exercise Science coursework via extracurricular hobbies, for what it's worth. I shouldn't need much more for prereqs as it is, A&P2 plus biochem and/or o-chem, maybe genetics, and medical terminology which is probably gonna be hilariously dumb.

That sounds like alot of pre-reqs to me but I'm going to law school so that's all I have to say about that.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
FWIW I got into actual medical school (mid-tier MD program) with a sociology BA and good grades in all the science pre-reqs (plus a few upper division cancer/cell bio electives to prove I wasn't a chump). The few programs that care about your degree care in the opposite direction you think - there's a nearly endless supply of hard science turbonerds and a lack of applicants with any depth or breadth of experience outside of biology/chemistry, and those people tend to make better doctors/pas/nps. Get good grades so you get an interview; do poo poo you're interested in and can talk about with a degree of passion and engagement so you can nail the interview and get the acceptance.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 31, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TheQuietWilds posted:

FWIW I got into actual medical school (mid-tier MD program) with a sociology BA and good grades in all the science pre-reqs (plus a few upper division cancer/cell bio electives to prove I wasn't a chump). The few programs that care about your degree care in the opposite direction you think - there's a nearly endless supply of hard science turbonerds and a lack of applicants with any depth or breadth of experience outside of biology/chemistry, and those people tend to make better doctors/pas/nps. Get good grades so you get an interview; do poo poo you're interested in and can talk about with a degree of passion and engagement so you can nail the interview and get the acceptance.

This is the same for a lot of graduate programs. Now granted, if you're going from English to Computer Science you're probably going to have to take a lot of prereqs, but it's certainly doable.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If you get into management in IT is an MBA worth anything in terms of moving up in bigger organizations, or would you be better off looking at some sort of Comp Sci degree? I got my BS in Business Administration which has helped me get my foot in the management door but I have no clue if masters degrees are worth it or which field is more desired if they are.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

milk milk lemonade posted:

If you get into management in IT is an MBA worth anything in terms of moving up in bigger organizations, or would you be better off looking at some sort of Comp Sci degree? I got my BS in Business Administration which has helped me get my foot in the management door but I have no clue if masters degrees are worth it or which field is more desired if they are.

Either one will help you credentials wise, but an MBA will probably get you farther if you're looking to move into non-engineering roles, since the emphasis for IT management/executives is very much business focused. And that's an area where technical people are usually lacking in knowledge and experience.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Sir Lucius posted:

Yup first transfer semester starts next week.

Programming 110 (Python) and The Worlds of Buddhism (bullshit humanities requirement)

The payoff so far looks to be worth all the BS endured on active duty

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

psydude posted:

Either one will help you credentials wise, but an MBA will probably get you farther if you're looking to move into non-engineering roles, since the emphasis for IT management/executives is very much business focused. And that's an area where technical people are usually lacking in knowledge and experience.

I hate business classes so much. But I still have GI Bill benefits to burn so I'll keep this in mind.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
My loving voc rehab counselor is so bad at communicating. He never replies to my emails or answers my calls. I had to contact the school in order to find out that he'd sent the paperwork they need. poo poo causes me way too much stress because it isn't something I shouldn't​ have to deal with but it's important that it gets done because I've got a lot more fees to pay at the University of Washington than I did at the community college I'm transferring from.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

real advice

you know what. gently caress off you whiny little bitch. here's a meltdown for you:

quote:

lol enjoy your lovely life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

SwampDonkey posted:

real advice

you know what. gently caress off you whiney little bitch. here's a meltdown for you:

:irony:

Per your pre-edit maybe you should work on your people skills. And maybe not sucking so much.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

right brb

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why are you so angry

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Pesticide20 posted:

My loving voc rehab counselor is so bad at communicating. He never replies to my emails or answers my calls. I had to contact the school in order to find out that he'd sent the paperwork they need. poo poo causes me way too much stress because it isn't something I shouldn't​ have to deal with but it's important that it gets done because I've got a lot more fees to pay at the University of Washington than I did at the community college I'm transferring from.

My counselor is the same way, but his area of operation is half the state out here so I imagine he is pretty swamped. Last time we talked it sounded like everything was good and he thought there would be no issues getting my plan approved, but I'd just love to get some solid confirmation on what steps he's taken and where we are at now.

I am getting ready to move to my new school for the fall semester. Tying up all the loose ends and prepping the house to sell. My wife is going to move closer to her college so she can finish her degree so I'll be going alone. I haven't figured out where I'll be living once I get there though.

I'm pretty sure whoever built the dorms on campus is the same company that built all the old barracks on Fort Gordon before they replaced them. The floor plan is almost loving identical. It is a really small town so housing choices off campus are kind of sparse. There are some houses built in the early 1900s that people are trying to rent out for what has to be double to triple the mortgage. I'm hoping as the people who graduated this past semester move away, more housing will open up.

Worst case maybe I'll just buy one of these <$50,000 poo poo holes and put it up for sale when I leave. At least I wouldn't have to worry about finding a place that allows my dogs and the mortgage would end being like third to half of what people are trying to charge for rent on the same lovely places.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TBeats posted:

Why are you so angry

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Pesticide20 posted:

The Voc Rehab counselors in Seattle all seem to have this issue. I typically have to call several times before my counselor finally responds. Others people I know using Voc Rehab at UW Bothell all say the same things.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My VR counselor has 150+ people and still finds the time to call me if I ask. She's cool and does what she can for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The people working in the vet office at the UW are awesome. I went in with a couple of issues and they stopped what they were working on to get me sorted out. gently caress I wish more of my encounters with different vet assistance programs were like that. Kudos to the lady that got me my book and supplies vouchers. Just blew some VA fun bux on pens I don't really need but if I don't use it I lose it