Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When did Harper get hitched? He's what, 23?

He's 24 and, if I recall correctly, Mormon. Makes sense.

Michael Morse died for Hunter Strickland's sins :rip: :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Okert gets off a bus in Sacramento, reads text, gets back on.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Cubs score a run! Woooooooh Contreras!

So naturally they gave up 2 the following inning. :v:

There's always last year... :unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Stros win, Indians win

A Good Day :toot:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Y'all.

Eric Skoglund made his major league debut vs. Detroit at Kauffman tonight

6.1IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 5K.

Add a shutout effort by the bullpen, two Salvy Splashes, emotional parents, and a humble interview and cap-tip, and you've got a Certified Emotional Baseball Moment™.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Skoglund walking off to a standing ovation and waving to the crowd was legit kind of touching, I'm glad for him.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 31, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess we have the most cowardly version of throwing a ball at someone. Watch the guy in the jacket coming in from the left around 25 seconds.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I hate Bryce Harper because he plays for a team my team plays a lot and he's good against my team. Everything he does is amplified tenfold and makes me think he's a bigger rear end in a top hat than he really is.

If he were on my team I'd love the poo poo out of him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm still giggling over Buster's reaction. "Yeah, this on you, dumbass," as his eyes roll up to the sky.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Grittybeard posted:

Skoglund walking off to a standing ovation and waving to the crowd was legit kind of touching, I'm glad for him.

whats his story? Im failing at google

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the_american_dream posted:

whats his story? Im failing at google

Oh no particular story other than a guy making his first major league start who everyone expected to suck. Then he wins a pitcher's duel with Justin Verlander.

I think it was the parents and the ridiculousness of this middling (to be kind) minor league pitcher owning for a night that got to me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

Oh no particular story other than a guy making his first major league start who everyone expected to suck. Then he wins a pitcher's duel with Justin Verlander.

I think it was the parents and the ridiculousness of this middling (to be kind) minor league pitcher owning for a night that got to me.

I love it when nobodies shine for a night and beat future HOFers. I remember once Steve Woodard absolutely dominated the Blue Jays during Clemens' career revival, in Woodard's ML debut, no less. 8IP, 1H, 1BB, 0 R, 12K. I watched that game with my dad (a Jays fan), and we both thought we were seeing the beginning of a very good or even great career.

And it's not like Clemens pitched poorly. 8IP, 1ER, 4H, 10K. Most days, that'd be good enough to win, easily. So even though Woodard's career didn't go great, he can tell his kids he beat a guy who won 354 games, 7 Cy Youngs and an MVP. He probably won't mention the accusations that Clemens was on the gas (although to some people, that'd make it more impressive, not less).

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I guess we have the most cowardly version of throwing a ball at someone. Watch the guy in the jacket coming in from the left around 25 seconds.

Was that a baseball he threw? Jesus

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

shirts and skins posted:

In December. Sounds like it went about how you'd expect. https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/01/12/bryce-harper-lined-his-tuxedo-jacket-with-photos-of-his-bride-on-their-wedding-day/

N: If the Mariners win tomorrow they will be .500 for the month of May.

V: How is that even possible?

Yup Bryce sure is a bad guy

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I hate Bryce Harper because he plays for a team my team plays a lot and he's good against my team. Everything he does is amplified tenfold and makes me think he's a bigger rear end in a top hat than he really is.

If he were on my team I'd love the poo poo out of him.

Yeah, I'd be all about Bryce Harper if he played for the Braves, but since he doesn't, he can go eat a bag of dicks.

That said, dude is a total shithead for throwing at him and Harper should have beat his rear end.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I love it when nobodies shine for a night and beat future HOFers. I remember once Steve Woodard absolutely dominated the Blue Jays during Clemens' career revival, in Woodard's ML debut, no less. 8IP, 1H, 1BB, 0 R, 12K. I watched that game with my dad (a Jays fan), and we both thought we were seeing the beginning of a very good or even great career.

And it's not like Clemens pitched poorly. 8IP, 1ER, 4H, 10K. Most days, that'd be good enough to win, easily. So even though Woodard's career didn't go great, he can tell his kids he beat a guy who won 354 games, 7 Cy Youngs and an MVP. He probably won't mention the accusations that Clemens was on the gas (although to some people, that'd make it more impressive, not less).

In 2006 Andy Pettitte pitched a complete game 1 run 4 hit 1 walk loss against the Cubs against Ryan O'Malley who was called up the day before and started two games total in his career in the midst of a run that came up just short for a wild card

The most frustrating game I've ever seen

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

The most frustrating game I've ever seen

Not the most frustrating inning though. Or pitch.

I feel bad for this post, it is mean because I know what both of those are immediately.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Cubs won't make the post season but the twins will lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Goodpancakes posted:

At which point the Yankees will grind them into a fine paste, as it always has been and always will be, especially in the post-season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Except the times the twins won the world series, right?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why bother with the trash talk when SI has already foreseen this year's champs?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Intruder posted:

Why bother with the trash talk when SI has already foreseen this year's champs?

Whoa, let's pump the brakes here. If the Astros catch wind of any optimism, they'll remember they're a Houston team and promptly crash and burn. Be Major League Randy Quaid all season and only let your guard down after they hand out the rings.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

Joe Maddon will still be trying to convince us all that everything is fine.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Goodpancakes posted:

The Twins bullpen is a loving disaster outside of one or two guys. They're not going anywhere.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

Except the times the twins won the world series, right?

Nah, the Yankees didn't win the AL East those years and the Twins were in the West. They beat the Tigers and Blue Jays in the ALCS.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Goodpancakes posted:

The NL Central is enough of a dumpster fire where the Cubs could definitely still win the division and pull a 2006 Cardinals.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The NL Central is enough of a dumpster fire where the Cubs could definitely still win the division and pull a 2006 Cardinals.

gently caress, the Brewers are in contention and no one around here can believe it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Are these girls like 14 or am I just getting goddamn old?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As someone who doesn't know the backstory of the brawl, why does everyone think the pitcher should have a lengthier suspension than Harper? He threw at him, which happens all the time. He didn't throw for the head or anything. Then Harper goes on the attack. What am I missing?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

As someone who doesn't know the backstory of the brawl, why does everyone think the pitcher should have a lengthier suspension than Harper? He threw at him, which happens all the time. He didn't throw for the head or anything. Then Harper goes on the attack. What am I missing?

Starting pitchers usually only play every five games. If a starting pitcher gets a 4-game suspension he doesn't actually miss any game time.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

shadok posted:

Starting pitchers usually only play every five games. If a starting pitcher gets a 4-game suspension he doesn't actually miss any game time.

Gotchya, I thought there was some backstory that led to the escalation. Thanks.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

Harper hammered Strickland pretty bad many years ago, and apparently Strickland...was unable to let this go, because he's an imbecile. So, he deliberately throws as hard as he can at Harper and fortunately doesn't hit a head or face or hand or forearm. Harper, being excessively Alpha, got mad, and rightly so. This is exactly the kind of thing that charging the mound is meant for and if anything Harper should have gotten a bonus payment or new Camaro from the league or something.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

If a co-worker punched you as hard as they can in the gut because you were better at your job than they were and you defended yourself would you think it was ok for them to get off with a lesser or equal punishment than you?

Also in this scenario you can't call the cops on them, so no falling back on that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shadok posted:

Strickland isn't a starter, but yeah that's a big problem if someone who is a starter throws at a guy.

Also yeah this whole thing was initiated because Strickland is an idiot worried about something that happened years ago so throw the book at him.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

If a co-worker punched you as hard as they can in the gut because you were better at your job than they were and you defended yourself would you think it was ok for them to get off with a lesser or equal punishment than you?

Also in this scenario you can't call the cops on them, so no falling back on that.

That's not a fair comparison, because one is illegal, and the other happens hundreds of times during the course of a season. I figured there was something that had set Strickland off, but if it was just the fact that Strickland's pride was hurt by not pitching well years ago, yea that's a bitch move. Understood.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

That's not a fair comparison, because one is illegal, and the other happens hundreds of times during the course of a season. I figured there was something that had set Strickland off, but if it was just the fact that Strickland's pride was hurt by not pitching well years ago, yea that's a bitch move. Understood.

We're again back to the main point which is that pitchers shouldn't allowed to intentionally hit batters and just walk away from it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

We're again back to the main point which is that pitchers shouldn't allowed to intentionally hit batters and just walk away from it.

I totally agree, but it's something that has been accepted for over 100 years, so it's not going to be easy to change the culture.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

RCarr posted:

It's entirely a fair comparison, it's just not considered because "it's always been that way." Which is the point, as Inspector_666 pointed out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

No, one is literally illegal while the other is not.

I understand and agree with your opinion, but that doesn't change a fact. It's the same reason why hitting a quarterback late gets you a flag and not jail time, or punching another hockey player in the face results in a time-out instead of being arrested.

Inspector_666 posted:

Longer pitcher suspensions are a good start!

Agree 100% with you on this.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RCarr posted:

I totally agree, but it's something that has been accepted for over 100 years, so it's not going to be easy to change the culture.

Longer pitcher suspensions are a good start!

• Locked thread