Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Gob, thank you for this sad, hilarious, and humbling web comic. It hurt where it needed to, and I look forward to whatever you do next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wasabi the J posted:

White whale, you dingus.

White elephant is a burdensome gift that you get as a gag for someone.

Also this was a wild ride. Really started reading this to sate my appetite for bad webcomics, and accidentally got a really rad one instead. The whitest of elephants.

Really? Could have sworn it was a prized Siamese gift. Oh well.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Glad to have been there when it happened. A good webcomic.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Gob, all I can say is

CONGRATULATIONS.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if suffering exists because, in each iteration, the new creator only improves a little bit at a time. Or perhaps they trigger unintended consequences.

Well one change he should really make next time is a smaller universe! :v:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Also, hypothesis: Pasqualo has made it to the end of the universe many times and has thus become the creator of the next one many times, but that doesn't make him special. This end and rebirth of the universe has happened a countless number of times. Multiple times for every person that's ever existed in a single iteration. Sometimes Ally has been the one to make it to the end. Sometimes Tubsy (wanna see the universe he creates it's probably loving cool as gently caress). Maybe Trisssh has made a few, or any one of the other people that exist throughout the universes.

Slime fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 30, 2017

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Slime posted:

Also, hypothesis: Pasqualo has made it to the end of the universe many times and has thus become the creator of the next one many times, but that doesn't make him special. This end and rebirth of the universe has happened a countless number of times. Multiple times for every person that's ever existed in a single iteration. Sometimes Ally has been the one to make it to the end. Sometimes Tubsy (wanna see the universe he creates it's probably loving cool as gently caress). Maybe Trisssh has made a few, or any one of the other people that exist throughout the universes.

Hopefully not Mark though. That'd be the worst timeline.

I wonder what God's role is, if Pasq is the creator?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

There Bias Two posted:

Being a jerk, apparently.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Gob, I gotta know, is pasq's dad nicer to his daughter than he was to his son :ohdear:?

You can tell he's not because her name is still Pasqualo which means Dad was still pass-out drunk when naming her instead of naming her after Pascal.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Thanks, Gob. Thob.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Really? Could have sworn it was a prized Siamese gift. Oh well.

It's both. The reason for the phrase is that owning a white elephant is incredibly prestigious, so you can't get rid of it because that would be an insult to the person that gave you something so valuable (who was usually a king or someone else you really would not want to offend). It's also a huge pain in the rear end to take care of, and is considered sacred so you can't use it for labour like a normal elephant. So despite its value it's the kind of thing where you'll end up wishing you never got it.

There Bias Two posted:

It's basically the opposite of the concept of the hands-off god (set the universe in motion, then let things progress on their own). It Hurts! God didn't create the universe, but does intervene to answer prayers.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 30, 2017

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So was Gob's dad reviewing Pasqualo's blueprints while they were playing videos games in the bottom of the first page of Pasqualo's life flashing before his eyes?

I'm surprised Pasqualo even remembers the 0.000000000001% of his life that was the first 470 comics or so.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

pathetic little tramp posted:

I'm surprised Pasqualo even remembers the 0.000000000001% of his life that was the first 470 comics or so.
Judging by how he went from some sort of Borg thing back to regular old Pasq, I'm guessing the end of the universe restored his memories & sanity or something.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Haifisch posted:

Judging by how he went from some sort of Borg thing back to regular old Pasq, I'm guessing the end of the universe restored his memories & sanity or something.

I wonder if it was Pasq himself who ultimately ended all life in the universe. He was eating the last stars, so I'm sure he probably devoured all the planets eons ago.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I don't think I've seen anyone else suggested a theory I have, that Jennifer is the reincarnation of God Dammit's version of Pasqualo, and God's line "It wasn't meant to be" as she erased Jennifer from existence was expressing her wish that Jennifer's rebellion was more interesting. The theme of cyclical universes reminded me of that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if it was Pasq himself who ultimately ended all life in the universe. He was eating the last stars, so I'm sure he probably devoured all the planets eons ago.

I think he was just watching them burn out.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Harmony had a cameo earlier in the strip.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Whoa

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Oh my Gob. :stare:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The last exchange Pasq had with his girlfriend was "I love you" "I know."

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Congratulations Gob, and nice work. :)

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

That's fuckin crazy, why did she appear right after he killed the Principal? Aurora was missing at that point right?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I don't know if you addressed this on the stream but did you have the entire story planned out from the beginning and if so what did the outline look like

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

This new comics has the second Charlotte's Web reference.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

thanks, gob i love you

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Thanks, Gob. It's been a wild ride. :toot:

Holy poo poo. Was she always tagged there?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Holy poo poo. Was she always tagged there?

Definitely not, I went back to the page of this thread where this particular update was posted and people were more "woah check out Aurora's eye in the background" than "who the gently caress is Harmony".

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I can't believe IT HURTS was a Madoka Magica AU fanfic this entire time.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Great ending to a great comic , holy poo poo.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Honestly, I really liked It Hurts, but I'm not really feeling this ending.

It wraps up in a way that makes it so that basically every other character's arc is completely pointless. None of the stuff they did mattered at all, and not in the "this is intentional and the nihilistic point of the comic" kind of way. It's more like "Pasquelo is the main character and thus everything only matters insofar as it relates to him - even on a cosmic level", which is kind of a disappointing way to go for a comic with such a strong supporting cast. The reason Aurora caused the apocalypse isn't really explained in meaningful way. It's handwaved as "yeah, Pasquelo could've been made happy in other ways, but this is the way Harmony went with for whatever reason". Which brings me to the main issue - Pasquelo's solution. I don't really follow his logic here, so maybe I'm just an idiot. He learns that he can't make a version of Aurora that doesn't destroy the world, because that would make her a fundamentally different person. Upon hearing this, Pasquelo decides to avoid this by making a version of Aurora that doesn't destroy the world, but also erasing himself for some reason? Harmony says that if the two of them exist in the same universe, Aurora will be drawn to him and destroy the world, but the version of Aurora he creates does not have god powers (seeing as she's born to human parents). So, uh, problem solved? I get that it's a heroic sacrifice, but it feels like a conflict that's just sort of thrown in at the last minute.

Part of the problem with the whole "Pasquelo wants to create a world where his friends can be happy" thing is that most of his friends were already happy. Even when they were in hell! (until the 'erasure from existence' thing, but that doesn't really have to do with Pasquelo's presence). Heck, characters like Trisssh seem like they should be less happy in the new world. This means his decision is entirely based on Aurora, which invalidates the actions and arcs of basically every other character. None of them affected Pasquelo's decision in any meaningful way, which turned out to be the only action of consequence in the story. Thus, their part in the story didn't really matter at all, which is kind of a disappointing turn for a comic with such a strong supporting cast.

Also, I don't think Pasquelo being "special" and having the ability to remember those erased from existence gets explained in comic? That seemed like it was going to be more important. It seems to be implied that he's been through this cycle before, which could be the cause, but it's not really clear how has something to do with said ability

I might just be being a negative nancy because I've seen the "protagonist erases self" ending a lot recently, for some reason (even with the older stuff I've checked out recently), so maybe I'm unfair due to fatigue. For what it's worth, it does feel less contrived in It Hurts than it does in some other media (game with 4-letter name starting with 'N', I'm looking at you).

Just to be clear, I love the comic and I'm not saying the last comic ruined it for me or anything. I still think it's one of the best webcomics in existence. I just found the ending a bit on the weaker side. It was very pretty and well-scripted, though!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You wrote a lot of stuff there but the one thing that bothers me the most is that you've read this whole comic and yet you can't spell Pasqualo right

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I realized I spelled it wrong but decided to leave it and also keep spelling it wrong because it seemed funny and fitting at the time. I've been awake for a long time and I'm not funny.

At this point I'm committed though. I'm sure a lot of people will be telling me why I'm wrong for a lot of other reasons anyway!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zinkraptor posted:

I realized I spelled it wrong but decided to leave it and also keep spelling it wrong because it seemed funny and fitting at the time. I've been awake for a long time and I'm not funny.

At this point I'm committed though. I'm sure a lot of people will be telling me why I'm wrong for a lot of other reasons anyway!

nah it's a fair gripe; I don't like the reset ending as much as other potential endings. My main complaint were the giant walls of text towards the end, since the story didn't suffer without them, unless they were a gag; but it's not my story to tell, and it was Gob's right to tell the story as he pleased, and it has a lot of love, care, charm and creativity from a talented artist who did a great job and entertained me for years.

He told me a great story, and knew when and how he should end it. I can't be upset about that; most artists go on long after the well runs dry and are artistically bankrupt for it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Strip should've been named "It Hurt"

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Regy Rusty posted:

You wrote a lot of stuff there but the one thing that bothers me the most is that you've read this whole comic and yet you can't spell Pasqualo right

To be fair, neither could his dad

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Also Gob I have a legitimate question for you, the author of this web comic: Is Tubsy's [SCHOOL UNIFORM] next to Ally and Aurora's highly detailed anime school uniforms a whim of Tubsy's, an authorial fingerprint by Pasqualo, or both? The good news is that all of these answers are fantastic

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Clothes that just have [NAME OF CLOTHES] written on them has been a gag all the way through.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Look, all I'm saying is that Pasqualo really liked anime. You can say a lot about Pasqualo Trianglini but one thing you can never say about him is that he didn't like anime, because he really liked anime.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
That was a hell of a ride, and I'm happy to have been around to see most of it happen as the strips were being released. Gob, you have a a way with storytelling that is as absurdly amazing as it is amazingly absurd, and deeply emotional throughout. I look forward to whatever plans you may cook up in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I can't believe IT HURTS was a Madoka Magica AU fanfic this entire time.

Really? Because I don't think I've ever believed anything harder in my life.

• Locked thread