Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

"Man is jealous of non-romantic interest and they break up over it" is just sooooo tired, though. When Mickey gets defensive about how he's seeing somebody, he might as well have yelled "WE WERE ON A BREAK!"

Except the Doctor was a romantic interest to Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I really hope we get another take on that joke before the season is out. :allears:

Yeah, I want to see what they use for the rule of threes that's so absurd, the Pope and the head of the U.N. seem tame by comparison.

It's a decent joke and spacing it out between episodes makes it even better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They'll get interrupted by a time-traveled future version of Bill's girlfriend who just says "You know this will just keep happening right?"

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I want to see what they use for the rule of threes that's so absurd, the Pope and the head of the U.N. seem tame by comparison.

It's a decent joke and spacing it out between episodes makes it even better.

Jack Harkness pole-dancing?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Deciding that things obviously don't work out when they have home dates, Bill instead tries to take Penny out for coffee. It turns out they've wandered into Clara and Me's TARDIS.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Penny eventually just goes "gently caress it! Guess this is our lives now!" and joins in the adventure after the 5th time running.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have one of them literally be God walking into Bill's flat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The_Doctor posted:

I really hope we get another take on that joke before the season is out. :allears:

I just like that I might well have been legitimately right, and the Doctor might have specifically gotten Bill to go on a date with Penny so that the date could be interrupted. That's downright mastery, there.

Also, next episode is set in an altered timeline, I should point out. So Bill and Penny could easily have a third first date get crashed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

Have one of them literally be God walking into Bill's flat.

ANOTHER Nimon episode!?! :aaa:

How many have we seen today?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

spectralent posted:

This episode wasn't very good. There were a few little bits I liked.

I did like "Then the pope came in!" "Ahaha wild." *Head of the UN comes in*
I liked the Doctor's line about the claws of fear, especially in the context of his "neither cruel nor cowardly" promise.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“Air, Water, Food, Beer.”

It's the moments like this that make me love this show.

I know some people don't care for it, but Twelve and his guitar has become my "Five + celery" and "Seven + Spoons" pairing in that whenever I think of Twelve it's going to be Capaldi in his sunglasses with that guitar.

I just wish there had been a chance for a Craig Ferguson cameo at some point this season to bring the band back together. But good for Craig, he's currently busy hosting the #2 radio show in America!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Remember that storyboard from the RTD years that had like every Doctor Who creature ever conceived? That should be the next scene when Bill attempts to go on a date.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Companions have been ignoring what the Doctor tells them to do since 1963
"One day, just one]/i] day, [i]maybe, I'm going to meet somebody who gets the whole "don't wander off" thing." - Nine

Box of Bunnies posted:

Deciding that things obviously don't work out when they have home dates, Bill instead tries to take Penny out for coffee. It turns out they've wandered into Clara and Me's TARDIS.
What's a Utah Diner doing in the middle of London?

Moffat introduces The Lie of the Land
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BTYUTym_E

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 31, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Vinylshadow posted:

What's a Utah Diner doing in the middle of London?

Same thing it was doing in Nevada :v:

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well
I'd really been enjoying this season up until now, but the last couple of episodes: oh man. (Actually, I quite liked Extremis despite it feeling like Moffat by numbers, but I liked the previous episodes a lot more.)

Everyone's already covered pretty much everything that didn't work for me, but the bit about the Doctor being the President of Earth especially irritates me. It's presumably designed to get the Doctor involved with the main plot as soon as possible: fair enough. However, it doesn't actually add anything interesting or useful to the story, in fact it detracts from it - I've always seen the Doctor as an outsider figure rather than somebody with official status who is in charge of things (at least at the outset of a story). Even the 3rd Doctor was only consulted (and generally resented it) by the people in charge while he was exiled on Earth; he didn't really have any additional status beyond the occasional handy visiting pass for high security island prisons etc.

Plus a few too many scenes of people standing about in the desert conversing entirely in infodumps. Didn't we also get a bit of that last year with Harness's Zygon thing?

I think I'm just annoyed that a promising season has this clunky monk rubbish wedged into it halfway through, it's killed the momentum for me a bit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
It is a dumb premise, but I like to think of the President of Earth thing as the various governments just admitting that trying anything else goes badly. Any time he's gotten involved and they shunned his advice, people died. Any time they tried to stop him and do their own thing, people died. Any time the Doctor's gone up against the alien threat after their people died, the aliens died. Standard policy is now to stand the gently caress back and let the Doctor sort it out, because they've learned their goddamn lesson by now. The hard way.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is a dumb premise, but I like to think of the President of Earth thing as the various governments just admitting that trying anything else goes badly. Any time he's gotten involved and they shunned his advice, people died. Any time they tried to stop him and do their own thing, people died. Any time the Doctor's gone up against the alien threat after their people died, the aliens died. Standard policy is now to stand the gently caress back and let the Doctor sort it out, because they've learned their goddamn lesson by now. The hard way.

Although judging by this episode, not enough of them have learned their goddamn lesson.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The induction for joining the military now includes this:

"Now team, what happens when the Doctor dies?"

"*entire platoon in bored school class voice*He comes back to life..."

"And what do humans do when we die?"

"We die..."

"Very good, so what do we do in case of any unusual event that we aren't trained for?"

"Leave it to the immortal time wizard..."

"Very good!"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well you can justify it in universe just fine, more or less, but all that doesn't change that it makes the Doctor a way less interesting character when he's barking orders at blindly obedient politicians than when he's a smart guy on the sidelines who manages to insert himself into the situation where he needs to be to save the world.

At least last time it was brought up he was all, "No, no, no, this is messed up, I don't want this," and there was some attempt at doing something interesting with it, but in this episode he just kind of accepted it as only natural and rolled with it, while acting no different than he would have as a UNIT consultant or something, so all it did was put the Doctor on a pointless unsatisfying pedestal.

I actually don't think this last episode was all that bad, but the whole concept of "President of Earth" is something I'd rather the show just drop.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It grates on me because I don't want the Doctor to be this big important hot shot who the whole universe knows and fears.

It works best when he's just this gently caress off adventurer who happens to run into problems he has to deal with by the skin of his teeth and grace of wit and courage.

That way he can roll up on unsuspecting morons and clown them. Like that's most of what makes Tomb of the Cybermen so great. No one knows who the Doctor is, and he plays along with the maniacal dickhead's ego mania just long enough to give him enough material to mock and belittle him for.

Or like, all of the Third Doctor's tenure, where he's discounted as just the science adviser by the Generals who are corrupt as hell.

The only people he should be able to get a reaction from are the Daleks or the Time Lords, but mostly the Daleks. When everyone is kissing the Doctor's feet, it's just kind of poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The monks are Moffats last attempt to create an on going villain that will go down in show history. That's literally how this block of episode was pitched bts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did like the whole "most Feared creature in the universe" bit when it was Rory Pond, because him being older than the Doctor by 700 years was a pretty funny idea, especially as he had built a reputation as the Vanguard of the Big Black Box and the "Last Centurion". Him rattling the Cybermen was a pretty fun moment:

*All the ships behind him are blown up*
"Do I have to repeat the question?"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just remembered that we're supposedly getting old-school cybermen this series.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 31, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Old school as in "Cloth Bag for a head?" Or not that far?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BioEnchanted posted:

Old school as in "Cloth Bag for a head?" Or not that far?
i
One of the promos or series trailers had a cloth bag one iirc

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!
The only time the "doctor is important" thing really worked well IMO was in the Day of the Doctor when he finds out he has an office and then tries to impress Clara as if he were in important executive, asking for reports "in triplicate"... all said with a big grin and an obvious sense of how absurd it all was. That was fun.

This is not. Besides the obvious fact as demonstrated in the actual episode that not one of the four persons in authority actually considered the doctor any such thing as "president of the world". I say obvious fact because first the UN dude ignores his direct orders and surrenders (and dies), then the three commanders disobey his direct orders (as pres of the world) and also die.

So the whole point of "pres of the world" is some b.s. set-up for Bill having the "authority" to surrender for the whole world when the script called for it? What god-awful hack writing. A whole crap-tastic hour long set-up for something that bombs anyway, because by then pretty much nothing is believable because of the terrible way it's been presented.

I am NOT looking forward to the next episode.

Oh yea, I also wasn't impressed by "silence 2.0" as the villain. It's bad when the whole "we've been here the whole time messing u+p your world" thing has already been done before and a show just does a poor copy. It's worse when it's been done before on the SAME SHOW. Even more worse (worser???) when it was done better the first time! I loved the final resolution to the first (real) silence episodes. That and the wonderful/terrible Nixon impersonator. That was priceless.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

PriorMarcus posted:

The monks are Moffats last attempt to create an on going villain that will go down in show history. That's literally how this block of episode was pitched bts.

There I agree. They will likely go down in Who history. As one of the worst villains / copycat things.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

At least last time it was brought up he was all, "No, no, no, this is messed up, I don't want this," and there was some attempt at doing something interesting with it, but in this episode he just kind of accepted it as only natural and rolled with it, while acting no different than he would have as a UNIT consultant or something, so all it did was put the Doctor on a pointless unsatisfying pedestal.

Yeah, he was not only happy to the President of Earth, but happy to be giving orders on military action.

The more I think about this episode, the more I don't like it. I like the concepts of an alien that wants to be loved rather than feared, because it's more effective, and I like "a series of unfortunate events that leads us ever toward the apocalypse," but not the execution of either one. The rule of threes thing with "Fear is not consent, strategy is not consent, etc." fell very flat because the design for the aliens is boring, and the military characters were made of cardboard, and like Jakiri's friend said, just seem to yell out pieces of the episode summary randomly. This three parter is going to be whiff. Hopefully the Gattiss episode is good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The whole point of the president of earth thing originally was that it might make perfect sense for all the governments of the world to cede authority to the Doctor when aliens invade but it's wrong for the character. The episode Death In Heaven ultimately had the Master offer the Doctor the same deal as Earth had: take ultimate power to right all the universe's wrongs, like the military officer everyone knows he is. As far as I can tell, the president of earth thing was only used in this episode to have the Doctor be the focal point of the world's authority, allowing Bill to surrender it on his behalf. Which I guess is fine, but she could just as easily have spoken for the human race by virtue of being the only human there with seconds left on the clock. Fingers crossed for the next episode, anyway

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

I am not surprised

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
It's a shame because "Alien invaders who've studied at the Roman firefighter school of imperialism" really is a cool concept

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Burkion posted:

It grates on me because I don't want the Doctor to be this big important hot shot who the whole universe knows and fears.

It works best when he's just this gently caress off adventurer who happens to run into problems he has to deal with by the skin of his teeth and grace of wit and courage.

That way he can roll up on unsuspecting morons and clown them. Like that's most of what makes Tomb of the Cybermen so great. No one knows who the Doctor is, and he plays along with the maniacal dickhead's ego mania just long enough to give him enough material to mock and belittle him for.

Or like, all of the Third Doctor's tenure, where he's discounted as just the science adviser by the Generals who are corrupt as hell.

The only people he should be able to get a reaction from are the Daleks or the Time Lords, but mostly the Daleks. When everyone is kissing the Doctor's feet, it's just kind of poo poo.

Like a lot that Moffat does, the Doctor being bragadocious is one of those things that is frosting. Its fun, its a nice treat, its special the first time you have it...and then it becomes really old as a primary diet.

The Doctor's "largest library in the universe, look me up" line? "Even monsters have nightmares"? Those were kind of zingy lines. The speech at Stonehenge was also pretty good. But that was...five years ago? The entire reason it was appealing is that the Doctor usually acts so quiet. If his normal character is "Mr. Tough Stuff", it defeats the purpose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Burkion posted:

One of my favorite parts of that set-up was that the Brig would haul the Doctor along to some big experiment, the Doctor would be furious at being hauled away from trying to repair the TARDIS but he'd try to make the most out of it by trying to just stay out of things while scrounging up gear/experiments for his repairs.... then he'd start to notice stupid/reckless things going on and grumpily insert himself and THEN the various bad guys/officials would be all,"Oh stay out of this crazy man, we don't want your help" which would just make him even angrier :allears:

The Third Doctor's exile was a hell of a lot of fun.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an idea I've had - imagine an alternate universe where either the Second or Third Doctor is played by John Le Mesurier and the Brigadier is Arthur Lowe. :D

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Moffat really can't make up their mind about whether he wants the doctor as this superhero figure or not. He's had an arc where he went from being too well known, to actively trying to make the universe forget him, to being president of earth (who is well known again in space e.g. the death planet)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The "getting too noisy" stuff was Matt Smith, I don't remember it really coming up with Capaldi at all, and I can't imagine he'd care

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Big Finish Listener's Title for June is their first monthly small-cast Torchwood drama, The Conspiracy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

2house2fly posted:

The "getting too noisy" stuff was Matt Smith, I don't remember it really coming up with Capaldi at all, and I can't imagine he'd care

It was a response (almost certainly) to people saying the Doctor had become too famous and it was spoiling the stories. It's not a question of the Doctor's character.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

It feels like they're going for that scene where Nine keeps saying "Narrows it down!" except people are just yelling random guesses and the Doctor is saying "Good, yes! It's exactly that!"

I'm not trying to defend the laziness in this episode, but I got the distinct feeling in that scene where suddenly Nardole said 'bacteria?' after the Doctor asked 'What's the biggest threat to the world, after nuclear war?' probably had a line or two of, let's say, Bill, suggesting 'terrorism', which was probably abruptly and hurriedly edited out some time last week.

For what its worth, I really like the concept of the Monks being an inconceivably well-prepared invading species who refuse to take things by force but by manipulation, but the execution comes off as a bad cover version of The Silence. I almost wish they'd kept that character design for this story. It would have felt more in keeping with the notions of 'the suits' controlling humanity from a detached distance.

fake edit: Wait, is there actually any story reason why this couldn't have been The Silence, other than, as PriorMarcus suggested, Moffat wanting one last spot on the wheel of Big Bad Doctor Who Baddies that he might one day get royalty cheques for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, Moffat kind of suicided the Silence into being unusable unless you just want to forget that they're actually confessional priests from the future who specifically only hate the Doctor unless they're some of the good ones who aren't from the forsaken sect.

• Locked thread