Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

S.J. posted:

Well I guess that's a roundabout way of finding out if the Infinity RPG is worth looking at :v:

Is that even out? Last I heard it was stuck in playtesting and editing since CB is terrible to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Is that even out? Last I heard it was stuck in playtesting and editing since CB is terrible to work with.

Nah, it isn't, just wasn't sure if anyone around here had backed it and seen how it was shaping up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cassa posted:

So this looks amazing

But how does it play?
I played earlier in the playtest, we ran into some GM issues but the system itself seemed solid. It's a very fail forward system and the GM didn't seem to "get" fail forward. The mechanics for me and the pilot getting into an argument about whose fault it was that we crashed the ship were pretty decent. Definitely going to eyeball that box when it gets an actual price.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wanted to show off my very first physical RPG books, as well as the little dice bag my wife made me after she decided to take up sewing this week:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

sexpig by night posted:

they say they're using their Conan system for it, so I expect it to play as smooth as that, with a heavy focus on cinematic, active, moments and a pretty solid background gen system. I'm pretty eager to see it myself, I'd kill for a good Trek RPG.
Argh, what a tease. I just looked this up and it's not out. Ditto for the John Carter RPG.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wanted to show off my very first physical RPG books, as well as the little dice bag my wife made me after she decided to take up sewing this week:

That looks really cool. Congratulations :3:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I can't remember(been busy the last couple of weeks due to a family tragedy), who was it that wanted to buy my copy of Marvel Heroic, cause I still have it and am still interested in selling it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a general question: for boardgames/wargames, do you use/make houserules? It's a common practice in TRPGs, but aside from the infamous "Monopoly parking" thing I would like to know if people do it as a matter of course outside of that.

If you did, can you share some example of what the houserule was, and why you did it? Was it for "balance", or maybe to give a player a handicap in a competitive sense, or to streamline/ignore a particularly pesky or badly-implemented rule?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Back when I was playing Risk with an old set of roommates we made it a rule that you had to make an attack on your turn. We had one guy who if we didn't force him to attack would just turtle up somewhere and waste everybody's time. Because you couldn't pass, our games got pretty bloodthirsty though.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a general question: for boardgames/wargames, do you use/make houserules? It's a common practice in TRPGs, but aside from the infamous "Monopoly parking" thing I would like to know if people do it as a matter of course outside of that.

If you did, can you share some example of what the houserule was, and why you did it? Was it for "balance", or maybe to give a player a handicap in a competitive sense, or to streamline/ignore a particularly pesky or badly-implemented rule?

When you move the bandit in Settlers of Catan, you swap his position with the number on his destination. It has a number of effects, like making Knight cards more useful, making rolls of 7 more eventful, and devaluing good starting positions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

gradenko_2000 posted:

A really common house rule for Carcassonne is to take a tile at the end of your turn (rather than the start). It's not that the base rules are bad, but it is a simple change that speeds up play at no cost.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
heavier games than catan or carcassone tend not to have house rules because the interactions between rules are complex and can cause butterfly-effect like ripples in the game. There are two exceptions to this - most games that passively rely upon players keeping track of information that goes from public knowledge to hidden (like the amount of workers players have in keyflower) eventually acquire house rules to keep this information public. Not everyone plays with those, but they're usually known.

The other exception is that games by uwe rosenberg tend to attract house rules for drafting occupation cards because he is an overrated designer because he does not prioritize card balance, although this may have changed in the newest version of agricola.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's depressing to think that there are still GMs out there who'd make people roll for simple tasks where failure wouldn't have any immediate consequence.

I'll also chime in and say that I grew up learning 3E, and it did not teach you how to DM well at all. This is a pretty consistent thing for new, inexperienced, or unseasoned GMs to do. Hell, adversarial GMing is an attitude that a lot of materials (thanks to being written by grogs) fostered.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I'm the fun tyrant and you'll have to pry enjoyment of these games from my cold dead dick

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

I'll also chime in and say that I grew up learning 3E, and it did not teach you how to DM well at all. This is a pretty consistent thing for new, inexperienced, or unseasoned GMs to do. Hell, adversarial GMing is an attitude that a lot of materials (thanks to being written by grogs) fostered.

I started with GURPS but I really cut my teeth as a "GM" with Call of Cthulhu. But Call of Cthulhu's base mechanics are very simulationist; for example constantly rolling to spot hidden. It wasn't until I was reading old White Wolf core books (Vampire, Mage, Wraith, Changeling) and the Storyteller section in each specifically, that I became a better GM.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Robin's Guide to Good Gamemastering should be required reading for any GM.

GUMSHOE and DRAMASYSTEM are great systems because they are created to solve specific problems that GMs encounter and just by reading them you'll get a lot of insight on GMing.

What I'm saying is listen to Robin D Laws, y'all.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 1, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

I started with GURPS but I really cut my teeth as a "GM" with Call of Cthulhu. But Call of Cthulhu's base mechanics are very simulationist; for example constantly rolling to spot hidden. It wasn't until I was reading old White Wolf core books (Vampire, Mage, Wraith, Changeling) and the Storyteller section in each specifically, that I became a better GM.
CoC is one of the few systems I'd say is actually worse at teaching how to GM than D&D. At least D&D has hidden gems in it, e.g. a single sentence in the DMG with actual good advice and such. CoC on the other hand has a ton of modules with multiple instances of "have the players roll [stat] to find the thing they need to keep going with this plot." and no directions as to what to do if (when) no player can roll under a 90 for the drat thing. Sorry guys, you don't ever notice the thin slice of rock cut out of the wall that acts as a switch, guess you just starve in this dank cavern and cthulhu eats the world!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Apocalypse World is also required reading for becoming a good GM.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I work out fine without that thanks.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Yawgmoth posted:

CoC is one of the few systems I'd say is actually worse at teaching how to GM than D&D. At least D&D has hidden gems in it, e.g. a single sentence in the DMG with actual good advice and such. CoC on the other hand has a ton of modules with multiple instances of "have the players roll [stat] to find the thing they need to keep going with this plot." and no directions as to what to do if (when) no player can roll under a 90 for the drat thing. Sorry guys, you don't ever notice the thin slice of rock cut out of the wall that acts as a switch, guess you just starve in this dank cavern and cthulhu eats the world!
Actually, every CoC character has (going back to first edition) a series of traits that the GM can user to unstick a stopped scenario: the Idea, Know, and Luck rolls. Every character has ratings in these skills, and they run from 45%-85% for most PCs. So when a scenario grinds to a halt, the GM can just tell everyone to make an Idea or Knowledge or Luck roll and if someone succeeds (someone will almost always succeed) they get the hint or clue or dumb coincidence they need to continue the scenario.

Not very elegant, and not very well explained, but it's there, and has been since 1981.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Evil Mastermind posted:

Apocalypse World is also required reading for becoming a good GM.

very few games would I hand someone new to RPGs the rulebook and expect them to be able to do character creation and play effectively. Apocalypse World is the only system where you can hand the book to someone new to RPGs and expect them to be able to run a successful session. Dungeon World also has a good GM section, it's mostly lifted from AW if I remember correctly.

The locally-produced GM's guide to DW is also excellent reading for developing GM skills.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mllaneza posted:

very few games would I hand someone new to RPGs the rulebook and expect them to be able to do character creation and play effectively. Apocalypse World is the only system where you can hand the book to someone new to RPGs and expect them to be able to run a successful session. Dungeon World also has a good GM section, it's mostly lifted from AW if I remember correctly.
Well, most PbtA GMing sections are derived from the AW stuff, just adjusted for the setting/genre.

quote:

The locally-produced GM's guide to DW is also excellent reading for developing GM skills.
:blush:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, most PbtA GMing sections are derived from the AW stuff, just adjusted for the setting/genre.

:blush:

If you want to blush more, I saw a Reddit post calling out the DW Fanmade GM's guide as a must-read for new GMS recently.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I saw that too. It's amazing to me that people are still recommending it so much.

Or that it's been translated into a half-dozen languages. I own a physical copy of the Guide in Korean and it still blows my mind.

e: I do wish I knew how many "copies" there are out there, though. Like how many times it's been downloaded.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 1, 2017

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, I saw that too. It's amazing to me that people are still recommending it so much.

Or that it's been translated into a half-dozen languages. I own a physical copy of the Guide in Korean and it still blows my mind.

e: I do wish I knew how many "copies" there are out there, though. Like how many times it's been downloaded.

I've got my home made copy that I'll be reading on the plane tomorrow to refresh myself before the one time a year I get to run DW.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like how many times it's been downloaded.

A lot.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:stare: E-gads.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FMguru posted:

Actually, every CoC character has (going back to first edition) a series of traits that the GM can user to unstick a stopped scenario: the Idea, Know, and Luck rolls. Every character has ratings in these skills, and they run from 45%-85% for most PCs. So when a scenario grinds to a halt, the GM can just tell everyone to make an Idea or Knowledge or Luck roll and if someone succeeds (someone will almost always succeed) they get the hint or clue or dumb coincidence they need to continue the scenario.

Not very elegant, and not very well explained, but it's there, and has been since 1981.
The bolded bits are important because in all the CoC games I've been in I think I've seen a total of about 4 idea/luck rolls (outside of all the luck rolls to see how badly you get hosed up by the latest in surprise-you're-hosed grognardisms) and know rolls ended up being another stymie to getting on with the plot rather than a "get out of bad mechanics free" card. I'm sure if I went back to those GMs and told them about using luck/idea rolls to unfuck things they'd have a :psyboom: moment and wonder where the hell that ever gets suggested.

I love the mythos setting and I use the modules as inspiration for my games in other systems, but I doubt I would ever subject myself or anyone else to that system. It's just too full of traps on every level to be any fun for me.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
So basically, rpgs hate newcomers. How did this hobby get of the ground again? Spite? Or is the correct answer "it didn´t"?
Must have been the time Toys´R´Us stopped carrying trpg stuff...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr.Misfit posted:

So basically, rpgs hate newcomers. How did this hobby get of the ground again? Spite? Or is the correct answer "it didn´t"?
Must have been the time Toys´R´Us stopped carrying trpg stuff...

It got off the ground because sitting around with your friends telling stories is a supremely human activity. Dreaming of a better world is a supremely human activity. Power fantasies...you get the idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It got off the ground as an offshoot of wargaming which means there was an audience already pre-prepped for adversarial, tactical play

the greatest advances in RPG design aren't the moves towards narrativist design, they're the ones that enable and, even more importantly, carefully silo adversarial play so that it actually works

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
on a related note i feel like the main reason the GM is given so much power and the exclusive role as referee is that players just can't be arsed to learn the rules, and/or they're (correctly or not) perceived as not mature enough to occasionally act against their own "interests"

if you could overcome this difficulty i think there'd be no serious problem with rotating the role of referee away from "the guy who plays the monsters / environment"

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A really common house rule for Carcassonne is to take a tile at the end of your turn (rather than the start). It's not that the base rules are bad, but it is a simple change that speeds up play at no cost.

Gonna do that from now on.

For Catan, we made up a stack of cards with a regular distribution of 2d6 on them to use instead of dice, to prevent the horrible thing where one resource just never seems to come up. It had the side effect of letting you have a sense of what must be coming up, which adds a possiblity of planning.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

AlphaDog posted:

Gonna do that from now on.

For Catan, we made up a stack of cards with a regular distribution of 2d6 on them to use instead of dice, to prevent the horrible thing where one resource just never seems to come up. It had the side effect of letting you have a sense of what must be coming up, which adds a possiblity of planning.
Holy poo poo that's a good idea. I have a couple friends who love catan but nothing sucks the air out of the room faster than never rolling bricks. Meanwhile the one person who had the prescience to build on the wheat port and the wheat that got a 4 (or whatever) is the only one doing anything because there's been a dozen goddamned 4s in a row.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

so I got this today

at first I was like "you can't make me click on that" and hovered over delete without reading the rest of it but then a friend goes "you should reply and just go 'actually 4e is good'" and sure enough when I read the rest of it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is he trying to neg you with edition war

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
of loving course "you should like d&d" is qualified with "but not 4e"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Go in the other direction. Start talking about how much you like FATAL

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Reene posted:

so I got this today

at first I was like "you can't make me click on that" and hovered over delete without reading the rest of it but then a friend goes "you should reply and just go 'actually 4e is good'" and sure enough when I read the rest of it

"If I just rant about how much she is wrong for not liking a game I like then surely I will win her heart."

Fool-proof-plan.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know what ladies dig? Unprompted rants about how they're not real fans of 'x' because they don't exactly mirror my tastes. That's something they never get from others so I'll be a new experience, right

• Locked thread