Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I guess there is a racist professor at Evergreen who thinks that he should be able to be racist because he's a 'scientist' and a bunch of students got arrested trying to block him in his office or something today.

http://www.afropunk.com/profiles/blogs/urgent-olympia-wa-students-reportedly-attacked-by-police-for

Eh, the guy is a biology prof. with a doctorate, why is "scientist" in quotes?

Anyway, that's not exactly what happened. Evergreen normally has a PoC Day of Absence where students attend workshops/activities, one set for white students and another for students of color:

quote:

Evergreen State College

Day of Absence
On Day of Absence, members of the Evergreen community have choices about how and where to participate.

Off campus, at a community venue, we host a full-day program focusing on allyship and anti-racism work from a majority culture or white perspective.

At the same time, we offer a full-day, on-campus educational and social program designed to address issues from the perspective of people of color.

Because of the need for a dedicated space to explore issues of diversity within each of these two perspectives, each program has been designed with a specific community-building objective in mind. And because many of us are mixed, and may not wholly identify ourselves with one community or the other, we invite each person to attend the program of their choice, wherever they feel most comfortable.

The professor objected to the event in this email:

A bunch of students cornered him outside his office and shouted verbal abuse at him while he tried to explain his reasoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCZNCmMFwcI

Several of the offended students are doxxing anyone who defended Weinstein(for their safety).

There was no "attack" by police, or mass arrests. The professor wasn't even the one who called the cops. The police have advised him to stay off campus for his own safety.

This comes on the heels of some facebook arguments about race that resulted in some students yelling at each other in public, and the police being called, and black students feeling targeted as a result:

Here are a few accounts of the drama, there's more on twitter(#exposeevergreen) etc. :

http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/2017/05/24/students-questioned-about-alleged-harassment-allegations-of-anti-black-racism-ensue/

http://libertyhangout.org/2017/05/leftist-alien-among-leftist-peers/

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

herbaceous backson posted:

Anyway, that's not exactly what happened. Evergreen normally has a PoC Day of Absence where students attend workshops/activities, one set for white students and another for students of color:

The professor objected to the event in this email:

A bunch of students cornered him outside his office and shouted verbal abuse at him while he tried to explain his reasoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCZNCmMFwcI

Several of the offended students are doxxing anyone who defended Weinstein(for their safety).

There was no "attack" by police, or mass arrests. The professor wasn't even the one who called the cops. The police have advised him to stay off campus for his own safety.

This comes on the heels of some facebook arguments about race that resulted in some students yelling at each other in public, and the police being called, and black students feeling targeted as a result:

Here are a few accounts of the drama, there's more on twitter(#exposeevergreen) etc. :

http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/2017/05/24/students-questioned-about-alleged-harassment-allegations-of-anti-black-racism-ensue/

http://libertyhangout.org/2017/05/leftist-alien-among-leftist-peers/
The screenshot of that email was in the article you didn't read. And speaking of not reading articles, I'm definitely not clicking on a website named "liberty hangout dot org".

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

The screenshot of that email was in the article you didn't read. And speaking of not reading articles, I'm definitely not clicking on a website named "liberty hangout dot org".

I read the article, thanks. It's kind of an alarmist/breathless take on things.

Libertyhangout sucks, but it's where a few of the kids involved in the dispute chose to post their accounts.

I was trying to avoid phone posting a giant wall of text, sorry.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

So libertyhangout.com is terrible, but the original post from afropunk.com is okay?
Your post comes across oddly defensive.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

So libertyhangout.com is terrible, but the original post from afropunk.com is okay?
What's your point

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lmao no you see the truth is somewhere in the middle, all noncentrist political stances are equally valid, reactionaries and civil rights advocates are basically on the same level as each other

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 27, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

libertyhangout.org posted:

Thank you for visiting Liberty Hangout, the leading voice for peace, prosperity, and property rights.

Featuring such highlights as a banner selling Communism Isn't Cool and Stalin killed 4x more than Hitler T-Shirts and Taxation is Theft Baseball Caps.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

That Cooperpoint Journal article posted:

Douvia, despite recent controversy, attended this gathering, attempting to make a statement about individualism before being asked to leave.

lmao

this person (who also posted the libertyhangout.org garbage) definitely seems like the one to trust here

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

"Liberals" (democrats) will always sell out the left to move further right, because in the end they're more concerned with greasing the wheels of capitalism and respectability politics than helping people

Yeah well you see corporate dems get real mad at this:

quote:

“The only response we can have if Boeing executives do not agree to keep the plant here is for the machinists to say the machines are here, the workers are here, we will do the job, we don't need the executives. The executives don’t do the work, the machinists do,” she said.

DevNull posted:

Yup, the company has to keep squeezing workers to increase their profit margin just a little bit more. In the mean time, the CEO is pulling in $15 million a year.
Sounds like a person who needs to fall down some stairs. Wheres the old school teamsters at?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I read the quote-scientist-unquote to be poking fun of the biotruth "science" angle. Him being a biology professor may even compound that view depending on how you look at it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

If I want to read an article about how PoC are upset at a perceived slight, real or imaginary, then, yes. I am absolutely comfortable clicking on a link to afro punk dot com. I am aware that there will be a bias towards PoC getting the raw end of the deal, and I am also aware that, uh, that's how society works.

If I want to read an article about how PoC are upset in any way, I am not going to visit a white supremacist blog, whether that's stormfront or libertarian party headquarters. I don't give a gently caress if you think that's unfair.

In other news, they've identified the white supremacist who murdered a couple people after terrorizing some women, and wouldn't you know it he's so famous he got interviewed by the Willamette Week last month https://twitter.com/coreypein/status/868472033960632322
Maybe, what these people need isn't attention or compassion or understanding.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
there was also a swastika spray painted at evergreen yesterday or the day before. gently caress that dude in the article above that killed two people gently caress all these other nazis closeted 'scientist' nazis or whatever. gently caress them all.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

If I want to read an article about how PoC are upset at a perceived slight, real or imaginary, then, yes. I am absolutely comfortable clicking on a link to afro punk dot com. I am aware that there will be a bias towards PoC getting the raw end of the deal, and I am also aware that, uh, that's how society works.

If I want to read an article about how PoC are upset in any way, I am not going to visit a white supremacist blog, whether that's stormfront or libertarian party headquarters. I don't give a gently caress if you think that's unfair.

In other news, they've identified the white supremacist who murdered a couple people after terrorizing some women, and wouldn't you know it he's so famous he got interviewed by the Willamette Week last month https://twitter.com/coreypein/status/868472033960632322

I totally agree that PoC get the short end of the stick. And on looking at the website, it looks like garbage. But my point is that going 'lol, i'm not reading your source based on the url' wasn't a very good argument.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

hey idiot put the shovel down and stop digging good lord

here's a fundraiser for the people who were stabbed by the neonazi: https://www.launchgood.com/project/muslims_united_for_portland_heroes

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

anthonypants posted:

Doorknob Slobber posted:

there was also a swastika spray painted at evergreen yesterday or the day before. gently caress that dude in the article above that killed two people gently caress all these other nazis closeted 'scientist' nazis or whatever. gently caress them all.

Actual, irl Nazis? Of course, gently caress them.

The professor at Evergreen, however, is an old Jewish dude who's been a progressive for most of his life-pretty loving far from being an actual Nazi. I'm honestly curious what you've read that leads you to believe this guy is a "closeted scientist nazi." None of the students seem to be able to point to anything other than some facebook posts and an email. What violence are they pushing back against here?

It's like watching a game of telephone play out. Every student I've talked to has a more extreme version of what transpired. By next week they'll be claiming he was burning crosses outside the dining hall or something.

Is there racism at Evergreen, and the PNW as a whole? Of course-you can find shitkickers with confederate flags on their vehicles ten minutes drive from the college campus. This professor doesn't seem to be one of them.

It's possible for there to be racism at Evergreen AND for protesters to be wrong about who they're targeting in this case.

All I've seen so far are groups of angry kids shouting and cursing at people who seem to be trying to listen to/understand their concerns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1agIlLlhg

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

One thing that deserves attention is the fact that Christian was taken alive after stabbing three people. This just a few weeks after a man holding a box cutter was executed on some railroad tracks.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/man_saw_teenagers_one_with_hij.html#incart_big-photo

quote:

The officer told the suspect to get down, Blackwood said, and the man told police to shoot him.

He had a knife in his hand and said he was going to come at an officer, prompting the officer to get behind a car door, Blackwood said.

Also... the poor train operator wants to know why aren't we focusing on the real problem... which is immigrants and not white supremacists http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2017/05/facebook_page_claiming_to_be_t.html#incart_big-photo

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Alright, I'm done. It's time to turn anitfa mainstream. Maybe set up some middle school assemblies on the best ways to identify and beat the poo poo out of nazis.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Alright, I'm done. It's time to turn anitfa mainstream. Maybe set up some middle school assemblies on the best ways to identify and beat the poo poo out of nazis.
Be careful what you wish for... Violence goes both ways and we really don't need a civil war right now.

We're all in it for the long haul, and the white super majority will slowly fade away with time.

A more mindful approach would be having people actual call this poo poo out in public and deal with it in a good fashion.

2 people verbally defending some-one on a train is a start, ideally it should be a a dozen or the whole loving train car.

As a society we have told folks on public transportation not to make eye contact, not to talk people, to ignore ignore ignore.

Change the herd mentality from "Ignore" to "Get involved" Verbally, and then physically if it comes to that.

[EDIT]
Althought you might still end up getting stabbed/shot even if you have the best of intentions...

So damned if you do (ignore, survive, and live another day but you now have to live with a moral/ethical dilemma), damned if you don't (intervene, get hurt, die). Or maybe you assault the guy and he ends up hitting his head, going into a coma and dies, but you get charged with man slaughter.

There is only one way things end well and everyone gets to go home unhurt. Then there are about 2 dozen other ways they can end badly.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 30, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

quote:

Asked if this meant Republicans making their own security arrangements rather than relying on city or state police, Buchal said: “Yeah. And there are these people arising, like the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters.”

Asked if he was considering such groups as security providers, Buchal said: “Yeah. We’re thinking about that. Because there are now belligerent, unstable people who are convinced that Republicans are like Nazis.”

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/869382038758973440

Meanwhile Wheeler in an unexpected but belated expression of good judgment has denied city permits to neonazi and white supremacist rallies for June 4th and 10th now that they've made national news for murdering two people.

Reene fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 30, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Senor P. posted:

Be careful what you wish for... Violence goes both ways and we really don't need a civil war right now.

So when is a good time?

Senor P. posted:

A more mindful approach would be having people actual call this poo poo out in public and deal with it in a good fashion.

[EDIT]

right...

Senor P. posted:

There is only one way things end well and everyone gets to go home unhurt. Then there are about 2 dozen other ways they can end badly.

As long as you're white you can definitely get by with just ignoring it, sure... it must be really nice for it to just be a moral dilemma for you.

Senor P. posted:

We're all in it for the long haul, and the white super majority will slowly fade away with time.

It's easy for those who've never been a target to sit around and wait for things to get better.

Reene posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/869382038758973440

Meanwhile Wheeler in an unexpected but belated expression of good judgment has denied city permits to neonazi and white supremacist rallies for June 4th and 10th now that they've made national news for murdering two people.

I don't see why anyone is even bothering to speak out about this poo poo anymore, as if the issue has anything to do with exposure. I think there's some mass delusion happening, people think conservatives/the people in power are just unaware of what it looks like.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElCondemn posted:

So when is a good time?

We need a few more white supremacists sticking knives in throats first and a lot more wringing of hands over why it's regrettable that a knife got stuck in a throat but that we shouldn't resort to violence against white supremacists. So like, a couple more major throat slittings *at least*.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Uh huh. I'm sure I will see all you revolutionaries on the news shortly, taking back the country from the Nazis.
You all sound like the nuts on Free Republic, keeping your powder dry.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Peachfart posted:

Uh huh. I'm sure I will see all you revolutionaries on the news shortly, taking back the country from the Nazis.

I'm sorry, your head is too far up your own rear end to hear you properly. Say again?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Peachfart posted:

So since you're the wisest, most levelheaded person in the room what do you suggest people (especially PoC) do about the rising tide of fascism and white supremacism?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Peachfart posted:

You sound like the SPD fuckers that had no problem with the freikorps murdering Rosa Luxemburg.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DevNull posted:

You sound like the SPD fuckers that had no problem with the freikorps murdering Rosa Luxemburg.

yeah, if you don't want to rise up*, you are part of the man, man

* Rise up in this case means talk about rising up, forever, on the INTERNET

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Peachfart posted:

yeah, if you don't want to rise up*, you are part of the man, man

* Rise up in this case means talk about rising up, forever, on the INTERNET

You are the keyboard warrior here. I know several of us in this thread are actually out organizing poo poo in our community. Feel free to do the same, instead of just complaining about us online.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Here's an article with a first-hand account of what happened on the train http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/max_heros_last_words_tell_ever.html

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Is there racism at Evergreen, and the PNW as a whole? Of course-you can find shitkickers with confederate flags on their vehicles ten minutes drive from the college campus. This professor doesn't seem to be one of them.

yes. Do you live here? Do you ever step outside the i5 corridor? This place is racist as gently caress. Evergreen isn't the bastion of liberalism that a lot of people think. Anecdotally, one of my friends is a POC and a professor there and according to this person Evergreen is pretty loving lovely at diversity and its something they've been struggling with for a while. Even to the point where they're stressed about going in to work because of it.

From what I've read and heard that professor thinks there is biological reasons to discuss why black people are inferior to white people so gently caress him. I don't care if he's jewish or whatever the gently caress. You can be jewish and still be a stupid nazi/racist gently caress. See Israel.

More racist poo poo in the PNW yesterday.

Here is something another professor at Evergreen wrote on the protests going on there.

quote:

In Solidarity with the Struggle for Racial Justice at the Evergreen State College
by Peter Bohmer
I am writing in solidarity with and support for the student led movement at the Evergreen State College, “Those Who Are Not Often Heard”. The actions and demands from May 23rd to May 26th, 2017 are for the most part, very positive. I hope and trust this important movement will continue to grow, and with the support of many more students, faculty and staff win its demands. What is most significant about this Black-led student movement is the centrality and leadership of Black students, their growing and powerful voice, the growing focus on issues of racism on campus, and a list of demands that make central the needs of Black and other students of color, undocumented immigrants, and LGBT students.
The winning of these demands would lead to a far more inclusive and just campus. Most of the media attention has focused on faculty member, Bret Weinstein, and his supposed mistreatment by some students. Only one of the twelve demands mentions Bret Weinstein, and this demand calls for his suspension, not firing. This movement is about far more than Bret Weinstein.
Bret Weinstein has demonstrated on more than one occasion a very limited understanding of the institutional and systemic racism that continues to be pervasive in U.S. society as the election and program of Donald Trump demonstrates. That he believes in racial justice in an abstract way is not a sufficient excuse. His comments both before and especially on and after, May 23rd, 2017 demonstrate a pattern of not taking seriously the needs and safety of Black students and staff at the Evergreen State College. On Friday, May 26th, Weinstein appeared on Tucker Carlson’s program on Fox News and accepted and did not challenge the misinformation put forward by Carlson, e.g., that whites were forced to leave campus during the “Day of Absence” in April of this year. The focus of this day was learning to understand racism more deeply and how to challenge it. In reality, 200 white students were asked to volunteer, not forced, to leave campus for this discussion, a minor departure from previous years where students, staff and faculty of color had left campus for one day. For this history, see https://www.pdf-archive.com/…/…/doa-emails-1/preview/page/1/. Moreover, on this TV show, Weinstein contributed to the narrative that he was blocked from leaving his classroom when about 50 students entered his classroom on May 23rd to challenge his positions. In actuality he could leave and was not facing any physical threat. Also totally false and irresponsible was his claim that a mob was running the campus last week.
Occasionally, the word safety is overused at Evergreen but an interview such as Weinstein’s on Fox contributes to a climate where the growing numbers of emboldened white supremacists pose a growing and real danger, especially to Black students, staff and faculty. To do such an interview, which furthers the right-wing agenda of Fox, and also societal racism is the height of racial insensitivity. I do not believe that Bret Weinstein should be fired as he is no more racist than the majority of white people and faculty at Evergreen or in the society, but there should be a process where he has to engage in an honest discussion about racism with those most affected by his behavior.
This growing movement which has signed many of their statements as “Those Who Are Not Often Heard”, and the related student activism is very significant and positive. There have been many, although not enough, white students, faculty and staff that have supported this anti-racist movement and our support is commendable although it should deepen and grow in numbers. For those whites who are active daily in the struggle against racism in the United States, we should learn to be supportive and act in solidarity but perhaps not unquestioning support. To me, this means, supporting in actions and not just words, this movement for racial and social justice by showing up and putting our bodies on the line, and accepting and supporting the leadership of Blacks, Latinx, Native and other people of color. I prefer the concept of solidarity or accompaniment to the term, allyship, at least how it is often applied. Solidarity or accompaniment to me, means putting into practice the idea that the struggle for racial justice affects all of us, although not in the same way; and that there should be honest dialog among all participants in this struggle. This is not an argument against Black autonomy or people of color leadership, which I support, but rather for a relationship among all participants that is respectful and participatory. It is important that whites involved in this struggle should not dominate the conversations and space and be humble but our role should be more than just uncritical support.
An important demand that has been addressed by this growing movement is for increased access to this campus by underrepresented and discriminated against groups and to make the Evergreen State College a better learning experience, e.g., for undocumented immigrants. For example, the demand for more financial aid for undocumented immigrants, demand Nine, is crucial. What possibly could also be added is a demand to make Evergreen more accessible to enter and a better learning experience for potential and actual first generation college students. Issues of economic class are sometimes ignored at Evergreen. I suggest that there be explicit demands in addition to what is already expressed for increased recruiting, financial aid and academic support of Blacks, Latinx, Native American and Pacific Islanders, immigrants, first generation college students, and the incarcerated and ex-incarcerated.
In closing, I want to enthusiastically thank those who have participated in this very significant activism for racial and social justice. You are setting a very good example. Thank You! It gives Evergreen the possibility to close the gap between its rhetoric and reality. I do believe that Evergreen has made some improvements in reducing racism in the 30 years I have been here, for example, in hiring more faculty of color, and is probably less racist than the majority of universities in the United States but that is a low standard, and there is a long, long way to go. These events of the last week, May 23rd to May 26th, 2017, have brought into the spotlight the pervasive racism that continues. I urge President George Bridges and the rest of the campus, including the faculty, to commit themselves to supporting and implementing these demands in a period of intense systemic racism in the larger society and politics.
Peter Bohmer, May 29, 2017

On a side note this dude is pretty active in the community, helping people organize and poo poo.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 30, 2017

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doorknob Slobber posted:

yes. Do you live here? Do you ever step outside the i5 corridor? This place is racist as gently caress. Evergreen isn't the bastion of liberalism that a lot of people think. Anecdotally, one of my friends is a POC and a professor there and according to this person Evergreen is pretty loving lovely at diversity and its something they've been struggling with for a while. Even to the point where they're stressed about going in to work because of it.

From what I've read and heard that professor thinks there is biological reasons to discuss why black people are inferior to white people so gently caress him. I don't care if he's jewish or whatever the gently caress. You can be jewish and still be a stupid nazi/racist gently caress. See Israel.

More racist poo poo in the PNW yesterday.

Here is something another professor at Evergreen wrote on the protests going on there.

On a side note this dude is pretty active in the community, helping people organize and poo poo.

Yes to both-I live in Olympia.

If that's actually what he's said or taught, then he deserves to be called out for it-I just haven't seen/heard anything other than rumors. Has anyone been able to find anything, in print/video/etc., where the guy actually says or does anything racist? Other than twitter/facebook rumors? There was a student saying he routinely calls people the n-word in class the other day, and I'm having trouble believing that he could pull that poo poo on a long-term basis(even in this area) without winding up on video somewhere. From reading this guys stuff, he seems like a centrist liberal "I treat everyone the same and don't SEE color" type, but that doesn't make him a Nazi.

He seems to have drawn the ire of the campus activist community with a poorly thought out email, which isn't really the same thing as being a racist.

I'm inclined to take what the students are saying with a grain of salt after watching the way they interact with their peers and faculty. This is an edited version, but the full length meetings are all on youtube if you have a few hours to kill:

Evergreen Protesters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-BGLoCDZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO1agIlLlhg

- “gently caress YOU George, we don’t wanna listen to a GODDAMN thing you have to say! No, you shut the gently caress up!” (directed at the President, who was there because they asked him to be)

-“I’m telling you, you’re speakin to your ancestors, all right? We been here before you. We built these cities, we had civilization way before you came out your caves.”

Lots of students telling the President of the college to shut the gently caress up, get the gently caress to work, jumping on him to PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN anytime they leave his sides, etc. while he takes notes and thanks them for their enthusiasm. Calling yourself an adult, then demanding the President circulate an email to faculty excusing you from coursework because you're protesting? How is heaping abuse on people trying to listen to your concerns supposed to combat racism? They're not arguing with a bunch of angry Trump supporters hurling racial slurs here, these are mostly people who are happy to interrupt the college routine and give them a chance to be heard.

There was also an African-American girl who spoke up during the meetings with the President to say she didn't feel oppressed, and was quickly shouted down by her peers, who told the President not to listen to her because she was "one of the lost ones."

There are quite a few students saying things like this, as well:

Evergreen Reddit posted:

I just dont understand the protest and the demands of the "activists." I am a PoC from the South. Evergreen goes above and beyond to support and encourage their students. I get protesting institutional racism ( I myself have been a victim of it ) but that is simply not the case at Evergreen. I sometimes want to scream in a bullhorn " You are all spoiled ungrateful entitled brats," but dont want to interrupt anyone's studies or education. That in and of itself is an act of injustice and oppression. Sort for the rant, I just dont feel like I can say anything on campus lest I be labeled an " uncle tom".

quote:

I feel like I'm in a similar boat. I grew up in south central los angeles surrounded by only brown and black people. This school is definitely whitewashed but the professors and the institution do a good job of making me feel welcome. No one here calls me a spic or looks at me like I'm sub-human. My professors evaluate me on the merits of my work, not a pity-party evaluation.
To some extent I sympathize with the "protesters", but I think they're loving nuts. I feel like they're on the opposite end of the spectrum alt-right, alt-left perhaps? Not sure.
What I am sure of is that I appreciate Evergreen for making me feel welcome and "most" of the student body being welcoming.

Again, I'm not suggesting that there's no racism at Evergreen, just that they seemed to have rushed to judgement with this professor.

Everyone involved could stand to tone down the hyperbole a notch or two.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is heresy in this thread.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

There are quite a few students saying things like this, as well:

As a minority I hear poo poo like this all the time from individual minorities, and I can say with certainty that they don't know what the gently caress they're talking about. As a minority you face backlash anytime you speak out, and you learn to just stay quiet and accept the world as it is, to do otherwise would mean constantly getting into fights with people over "nothing". I'm not saying they have or haven't experienced any racism at evergreen, but you can't take the word of someone who's interesting in keeping the peace more than those who are speaking out.

If the bar is not being called a spic or looked at like you're sub-human then why complain at all, right?

Again, I'm not suggesting that there's no racism at Evergreen, just that they seemed to have rushed to judgement with this professor.

Why are you so concerned about this professor? All it would take for him to not be in the spotlight is to apologize and not speak about a subject he clearly does not understand or care to understand. He chose to speak and people are responding to what he's said, tough poo poo, that's what free speech is.

Peachfart posted:

This is heresy in this thread.

It must be really easy to hold the stance that everything is fine and that everyone is just overreacting, that way you don't have to feel like a piece of poo poo for doing nothing and not caring about it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

Here's an article with a first-hand account of what happened on the train http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2017/05/max_heros_last_words_tell_ever.html
He got arraigned today. One of the victims showed up. https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/869670723417120768

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

ElCondemn posted:

So when is a good time?
Never is good. A civil war would economically cripple the United States plus there are things like how the hell all of our bombed out poo poo isgoing to get re-built. If you want to make a difference, get into politics.

Pretty much all countries I can remember that have had recent civil wars have wound up being hosed. (South Sudan, Angola, Congo, Thailand, China, etc). South Korea and Vietnam might be an exception due to how much money was injected into their economies but it still took.... 30-40 years to recover.

You want to go sacrifice what others are already putting down just to eek out a living for the next generation? Their own kids?

If you truly think civil war is the answer, I don't know what else to say.

ElCondemn posted:

As long as you're white you can definitely get by with just ignoring it, sure... it must be really nice for it to just be a moral dilemma for you.

It's easy for those who've never been a target to sit around and wait for things to get better.

I don't see why anyone is even bothering to speak out about this poo poo anymore, as if the issue has anything to do with exposure. I think there's some mass delusion happening, people think conservatives/the people in power are just unaware of what it looks like.

People ignore others while traveling on public transit. It is a fact. It happens in North America, the EU, South America, Asia, Africa, etc It is a documented thing. Especially with folks who have mental illness. (NYC has subways and I seem to remember a few sexual assaults and assaults that were ignored by the majority of people in the subway car). How many people ignore poo poo when someone starts getting drunk on an airplane?

Again, my opinion is this is a failure as a society. (We teach people ignore. We also don't teach people how to de-escalate poo poo via verbal conversation. What's the expression? "It's not what you say, but how you say it.") (Maybe its just my lovely experiences hanging out with lovely people. But the line between a brawl and a civil conversation is a very fine one. Especially when one party is already riled up.)

Finally, your point saying I've never been a target? Without getting into a huge derail, one of the places I grew up was in Houston at a time and place where being outwardly gay would get you bullied, bashed or you might end up loving dead. (Unless being LGBT no longer counts, which would be news to me.)

So yeah, my experiences and resulting opinions are probably different than yours.

People with mental illness are every where. Irregardless of their political or religious beliefs.
Unfortunately, you cannot save everyone.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 31, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Senor P. posted:

Never is good. A civil war would economically cripple the United States plus there are things like how the hell all of our bombed out poo poo isgoing to get re-built. If you want to make a difference, get into politics.

Pretty much all countries I can remember that have had recent civil wars have wound up being hosed. (South Sudan, Angola, Congo, Thailand, China, etc). South Korea and Vietnam might be an exception due to how much money was injected into their economies but it still took.... 30-40 years to recover.

You want to go sacrifice what others are already putting down just to eek out a living for the next generation? Their own kids?

If you truly think civil war is the answer, I don't know what else to say.

Yeah we should let police and nazis terrorize and kill people who disagree with them politically because heaven forbid we economically cripple the united states! Forget about all the people living in poverty while working multiple full time jobs, we can't risk the poor middle class homeowners prosperity!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Yeah, unless you're rich, we are already right now at this very moment loving crippled. Your argument against burning it down is "think of the children" my argument in favor is the same. I wouldnt wish what we have now on anyone's kid, and it sure as gently caress isnt going to get any better in 20 years unless we "collectively" enforce some drastic, even (gasp!) revolutionary, changes in how our society is run and what our priorities are.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
If you've discovered a method of bringing about a socialist state in this country without a violent uprising I'd like to hear it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
i am sure this violent socialist uprising will immediately lead to francis fukuyama's end of history (but communist), especially since every historical socialist uprising has made life much better for workers

also the best way to bring about this society is to yell at critics on the Something Awful Forums

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

James Garfield posted:

i am sure this violent socialist uprising will immediately lead to francis fukuyama's end of history (but communist), especially since every historical socialist uprising has made life much better for workers

also the best way to bring about this society is to yell at critics on the Something Awful Forums

Read Settlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Yelling at idiots in these the something awful forums might not be advancing the revolution but it is a good way to relieve some stress which is vital for a good revolutionary. You need not spend every moment on overthrowing the capitalist pigs.