Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hypocrisy posted:

It's just like modern life except one day an oddly dressed person comes up to you and tells you they're part of a security audit so you should totally help them by charging past security into the executive's elevator and you think this is kind of weird but they sound really official so you charge in since you can't get in trouble for following the audit procedure...

That'd be a fun origin for a PC. Someone who got roped into helping some Runners and did well enough that they stayed on afterwards.

Ex-Salaryman adrenaline junky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

wiegieman posted:

Now imagine that there was an arrow leading from all 10 of those umbrella companies to Aztechnology. That's how hard they dominate the consumer goods market.

It doesn't make any sense in universe though. Workers are paid with company scrip and buy from company stores. Why would an Ares company store sell Aztechnologies consumer products? The entire point of the setting is that hte Megacorps are vertically integrated and as such would never do that by definition.

Has always been a truly weird part of the setting.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Corps sell to each other a lot, Knight Errant's security teams being an example, but they're not as all-pervading as people think. There's a 70% chance of you buying an Aztechnology brand at the grocery store, but there's a 30% chance you're not. The nations of the world still exist, and independent economies are a real thing. There are even nations that say "gently caress that" to the Corps and their desires for extraterritoriality, but that's rare since they managed to bribe or strongarm their way into acceptance in most of the pre-awakening nations. Japan is home to three Corps but they don't run the country or anything, they just have a lot of the influence that comes with money and power.

e:Aztlan is different, Aztechnology's rights are literally written into the constitution since it grew out of the unified drug cartels that had already taken over the country.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 30, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It doesn't make any sense in universe though. Workers are paid with company scrip and buy from company stores. Why would an Ares company store sell Aztechnologies consumer products? The entire point of the setting is that hte Megacorps are vertically integrated and as such would never do that by definition.

In an arcolgy, sure, but there are plenty of people who don't live in a completely Corp controlled environment. Even in a situation like that it's not entirely out of the question for a particularly high performing or ranking worker to be granted the "privilege" of choosing to spend their scrip on a selection of pre-approved goods from a participating Corp.

Night10194 posted:

That'd be a fun origin for a PC. Someone who got roped into helping some Runners and did well enough that they stayed on afterwards.

Ex-Salaryman adrenaline junky!

The sourcebook "Market Panic" has that as a bit of world building fiction in it, it's honestly a good origin idea.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 30, 2017

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ze Pollack posted:

The kid who's throwing around magic powers she says Bart Simpson gave her, once her story comes to the attention of a legit shamanic circle, will be met by "yup, this is Coyote up to his usual bullshit. someone with magesight make a circuit of the local gambling dens, you should find a Coyote shaman hustling, they'll be able to teach the kid how to handle this nonsense." And after a couple months of tutelage, the kid will know that Bart was just the face Coyote wore to make her feel more comfortable.

I once read that magic in the awakened world is defined by belief. It doesn't matter WHAt you believe in, as long as you DO believe in it, and gave an exaple of someone throwing fireballs in the name of mickey mouse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

I once read that magic in the awakened world is defined by belief. It doesn't matter WHAt you believe in, as long as you DO believe in it, and gave an exaple of someone throwing fireballs in the name of mickey mouse.

That can totally happen. The mickeymancer would have a harder time than someone following in the steps of an established tradition and benefiting from the experience of mages before them, but it'd still be magic.
There's one Tradition that firmly denies that 'magic' exists at all and insists it's all psychic powers which everyone else is just misinterpreting. Other mages tend to laugh at them a lot.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

For one character idea I had my mage would be following the metal tradition. As in carrying around an electric guitar and using appropriate spells to go with the rocking theme. I was playing Brütal Legend when I came up with it which may have influenced things. :shobon:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Because for all Lofwyr's tried to make it otherwise, a CEO can't control every part of a megacorp.

Stuffer Shack, the local McDonalds equivalent, is almost 100% a vertically integrated Aztechnology product. But the employees you're selling fast food to gotta come from somewhere, and the local hiring agency's gonna do you better than Corporate's, and if you can get a leg up at those SoyBell fuckers across the street by getting a used Saeder-Krupp fryer instead of the company standard you better goddamn well believe that the franchise operator's going to make that call ten times out of ten.

A megacorporation is not one organism; it is made up of several billion metahumans with agendas, incentives, profound interests in half-assing it, and no practical reason to like their fellow members of the corporate family. Employee discounts are a lot easier than trying to restart currency from scratch.

Not, of course, that some enterprising VIPs haven't tried. Sure is a shame that their projects have this nasty tendency to end up making the news. drat conspicuously unidentifiable "terrorists."

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ze Pollack posted:

Stuffer Shack, the local McDonalds equivalent, is almost 100% a vertically integrated Aztechnology product.

Isn't Stuffer Shack more like future 7-11? At least, that was my impression reading Food Fight. I remember seeing a future McDonald's in the culture/vice fluff book from 4th Ed, but its name is escaping me at the moment. I do remember how ridiculous its menu was in how they managed to stuff substitutes into every part of the burger, and don't even give you potato fries.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

Isn't Stuffer Shack more like future 7-11? At least, that was my impression reading Food Fight. I remember seeing a future McDonald's in the culture/vice fluff book from 4th Ed, but its name is escaping me at the moment. I do remember how ridiculous its menu was in how they managed to stuff substitutes into every part of the burger, and don't even give you potato fries.

Also a possibility!

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GhostStalker posted:

You think I'd be eating here if I could afford a real potato?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Poil posted:

For one character idea I had my mage would be following the metal tradition. As in carrying around an electric guitar and using appropriate spells to go with the rocking theme. I was playing Brütal Legend when I came up with it which may have influenced things. :shobon:

so like when you level up did you get a multi-neck guitar like a decker would upgrade their deck? :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

TildeATH posted:

You think I'd be eating here if I could afford a real potato?

I think they used cassava fries instead, I have no idea why that stuck in my head.

Also, they didn't even use real pickles in their burgers, but a trademarked frankenfood substitute that had some ridiculous name.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 30, 2017

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
So thanks to this thread I went out and picked up the 2 more recent games from this trilogy since they were so loving cheap on Humble Bundle that I wasn't going to argue. I played the original close to when it first came out and found the gameplay a little bit clunky in places but generally fun and the writing was great though I never finished the game partly due to the original save system being kind of a ball ache to deal with at times. Since those issues have apparently been sorted it seemed like a good purchase.

How much difference is there between HK and DF in terms of game mechanics? Which out of the two (if any) would you recommend to play first if my end game desire is juicing myself up on an unholy combination of drugs / tech / magic poo poo and punching stuff so hard it explodes?

The LP has been really entertaining btw :)

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Ya'll are talking about McHughs, home of the Hugh burger. Featuring a delicious grilled soy Patty with processed cheese flavored food and their proprietary Pick’ls. Don't forget the cassava fries! For their soy conscious patrons they also offer The Kriller, a shaped grilled krill patty. McHughs is known to be pretty safe for patrons, given that each location has chemical and metal detectors installed on the entrances and is rumored to have the air vents rigged with stun gas.

RabidWeasel posted:

How much difference is there between HK and DF in terms of game mechanics? Which out of the two (if any) would you recommend to play first if my end game desire is juicing myself up on an unholy combination of drugs / tech / magic poo poo and punching stuff so hard it explodes?

I'd recommend doing Dragonfall first, Hong Kong has some changes to how decking works, among other things, that may make it difficult to go back.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 30, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

HK is like Dragonfall with tighter gameplay, so you should definitely play Dragonfall first or risk wondering where the stuff you miss is. Ley lines and cover especially get a bit of a rework to make them matter more -- it's a bad idea to be out of cover in HK but the power you can get from a strong ley line can make it worth it for your mage.

Also, money is a lot tighter in HK.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

UnwiseTrout posted:

Ya'll are talking about McHughs, home of the Hugh burger. Featuring a delicious grilled soy Patty with processed cheese flavored food and their proprietary Pick’ls. Don't forget the cassava fries! For their soy conscious patrons they also offer The Kriller, a shaped grilled krill patty. McHughs is known to be pretty safe for patrons, given that each location has chemical and metal detectors installed on the entrances and is rumored to have the air vents rigged with stun gas.
If you want to talk cyber-dystopia RPGs and their insane fast food franchises, you have to mention the now-forgotten Underground RPG, where there's an actual cannibal fast food chain called Tastee Ghoul ("Are you a people person?") that you can sell your body to like an organ donor, or the more upscale cannibalism chain Sweeny's.

Bet that soyburger's lookin' better now, eh?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Psion posted:

so like when you level up did you get a multi-neck guitar like a decker would upgrade their deck? :v:
No, but that's a good idea. It was a power focus so it could have gotten a new neck for every rating.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Poil posted:

No, but that's a good idea. It was a power focus so it could have gotten a new neck for every rating.

Cyberpunk as gently caress.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RabidWeasel posted:

Which out of the two (if any) would you recommend to play first

DF and then HK, for several reasons. But do play both, since punching enemies is better in HK (in my opinion) though it takes longer to get to maximum punching power.

betamax hipster posted:

This is fantastic :allears:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

betamax hipster posted:

It's only missing the spraying flames. Is anyone more cyberpunk than Bill Bailey?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Psion posted:

DF and then HK, for several reasons. But do play both, since punching enemies is better in HK (in my opinion) though it takes longer to get to maximum punching power.

HK does add new toys for punching enemies, so I'm still regretting not making my Adept character in HK, but punching stuff with Glory is also really great, especially in her trust mission, so I don't regret making my Adept in DF. Either is a good choice, really, since you don't have an Adept in your main team either way. Adepts and offensive Mages are two characters that play nicely in both games and don't make you feel like you're making one character from your main crew obsolete.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I could have sworn that SR had a chain of places called Voodoo Chili that basically existed to turn corpses in to, well, chili. Something about ghouls being involved...?

But then this is based off of me remembering one of the pulp novels that I devoured in high school, the one with the weretiger assassin trying to get her cubs back and the raccoon shaman.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Makes sense, the infected gotta eat. How else are they going to maintain that ghoulish figure?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Found the book that I remembered. Complete with a rather unfortunately named character that goes by Striper and a sewer-based conspiracy involving vampires...?

Holy hell I read the poo poo out of these as a kid. Not sure if I should apologize for my taste in schlock or just revel in it, since every now and then you'd come across a pretty serviceable one in among the crap.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

UnwiseTrout posted:

Makes sense, the infected gotta eat. How else are they going to maintain that ghoulish figure?

Mostly they buy body parts from cyberclinics and chop shops like the one we first met Dresden in, but later on they just start cloning human tissue wholesale.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Mostly they buy body parts from cyberclinics and chop shops like the one we first met Dresden in, but later on they just start cloning human tissue wholesale.

I also remember some stuff about organleggers and some sort of ghoul crime syndicate that exists to supply their dietary needs. It's one of the things that Clockwork rags on Hannibelle for in Shadowtalk comments, IIRC. Yes, Clockwork is a major rear end in a top hat, but I also remember some mention of it in Hanibelle's Street Legends writeup.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Can ghouls eat their manburgers cooked?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Can ghouls eat their manburgers cooked?

I'm pretty sure they can, just has to be metahuman stock.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Quote from ages ago

resurgam40 posted:

Man, the level of choice in these encounters is pretty good; I only ever found a couple of those options... and I didn't know it was even possible to deal with the BTL guys in a violent manner, so I know what I'm doing next playthrough! (On a personal note, the SR games do a stellar job of portraying BTL chips and the addiction it creates as both understandable and legitimately horrifying, like any good drug should be, and portraying their dealers as the worst kind of fuckers imaginable, so kudos to HBS for making it so good to shoot them in the face.)

Also: :stare: I have never played a rigger before, and I see now that that is a mistake.
BTLs are a lot like Flashback, a drug of choice from Dan Simmons novels. It shows up in Hyperion and in one of his short story collections, with the same understandable and legitimately horrifying aspects.

One thing I never really understood about Shadowrun was how the credsticks worked. When a Johnson would show up and give 500 Nuyen to start and more when the job is done, how does the money transfer actually take place? Do they touch Future USB sticks? Instant Future Paypal? Transactions are secure enough for both street level soycaf and donuts and purchasing armored vehicles*, from presumably the same credsticks.

*That A-Team van was purchased by credstick at least once or twice in it's life. And those armor mods don't come free.

Oh and by the way, this is a great LP and I'm mad at myself for missing it for a whole month. I posted this right before reading the Stevie J fight (there's got to be a fight, the foreshadowing promise hellhounds)

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 31, 2017

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They're kind of like creditcard/gift cards. There are those that you carry around connected to an account and use all the time, which of course also leaves a data trail, and others with a limit of how much they can hold and are pretty much disposable after use and basically anonymous.

And yeah, to remove the money it just gets slotted into a little device that then deducts the amount.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I always imagined them so card or sd mini sized, but basically what the poster above said

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

They're basically about the size of a small pen.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
It's obviously an access point to someone's wallet.dat

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

UnwiseTrout posted:

I'm pretty sure they can, just has to be metahuman stock.

Nope. Heavily cooking meat makes it inedible to ghouls.

You can (very) lightly cook it but that's it. For instance, you could have man-steak tartar, but going any further up (even standard rare-cooked) is going to give a ghoul serious stomach issues.

mauman fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 31, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
And the last thing you want to be next to a ghoul with sour tummy. Imagine the unique bouquet that would produce.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Cloned meat doesn't work. What ghouls are actually being nourished by is the residual Essence remaining in the dead flesh, and if it wasn't an actual living human then it never had any Essence to begin with.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

The Lone Badger posted:

Cloned meat doesn't work. What ghouls are actually being nourished by is the residual Essence remaining in the dead flesh, and if it wasn't an actual living human then it never had any Essence to begin with.

It can kinda work.

I would go into details but I wonder if it would violate the rules about talking future shadowrun events (even if they have almost nothing to do with the games themselves).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vampires need to drink blood daily but they only need to drain essence once a month, according to the rulebook at least. So I always assumed that ghouls eat the meat to sustain themselves and the traces of essence is what the virus requires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I ended up resubbing for FFXIV what with the new expansion and coming and all so this LP is now officially over thank you for reading Due to some unforeseen technical difficulties the next update has been a bit slow but I'm working on it as we speak.

mauman posted:

It can kinda work.

I would go into details but I wonder if it would violate the rules about talking future shadowrun events (even if they have almost nothing to do with the games themselves).

If you know exactly what happens in all three games then I trust your judgment, there's no hard ban of such talk in place or anything. People who haven't played the games but otherwise know the setting are the ones who ought to be the most careful.

• Locked thread