Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/petertaggart/status/869769870979678208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Please please please let him actually bring this up in court

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Please make reference to the first amendment of the constitution whuile doing so Mr Cottrell.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Who's got next month's OP?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

hawaiian_robot posted:

Please please please let him actually bring this up in court
He is dumb enough to do this, I'm pretty sure they're representing themselves too. It's really funny because they have this vision of how it's all going to go down and it just goes the opposite way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the twisted Islamo-Communism.

Give it some more time and they'll be twisted Jewish Islamo-Communist Nazis.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
There is nothing funnier in court than 'pro se'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

There is nothing funnier in court than 'pro se'

Some of the best (worst) YouTube videos I've seen have involved pro se litigants in one fashion or another.

Especially good when an actual attorney is giving a commentary on their legal arguments.

Leonard French is one of my favorite channels https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrzRLSdzFc

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

ABC posted:

Welfare drug tests: 10pc expected to test positive, those who fail twice will pay for analysis

Almost 10 per cent of welfare recipients are expected to test positive for cannabis, ice or ecstasy in a new drug-testing trial.

Those who return a positive test more than once will also have to pay for some of the cost of the analysis, a Senate estimates hearing has been told.

The Federal Government wants to drug test 5,000 new Centrelink clients and those who test positive will be forced onto an income-management scheme, which controls how a recipient spends their money.

The Department of Social Services' Cath Halbert told the hearing she "was not expecting very large numbers" to fail the illicit substances test.

"Out of 5,000 recipients who will be randomly selected for drug testing, based on available data and Department of Human Services data is that up to 425 recipients are expected to test positive to the initial test," Ms Halbert said.

"Around 120 recipients are estimated to test positive to a subsequent test and be referred for assessment for treatment."

Young people deemed to be at risk of substance abuse will be required to undertake random saliva, urine or hair follicle tests for drugs in three locations from next year. The method of testing is yet to be decided.

The Department of Social Services confirmed recipients who fail a test more than once will pay for the cost of subsequent tests.

"If one or both tests return positive, they will be called back within 25 working days to have a second test to ensure this is actually an ongoing issue and they will be required to pay for that test too," Ms Halbert said.

"The cost of the test will be set at the lowest cost of the types of testing that are being conducted and if they need to pay the cost of that, it will be through withholdings from their payment."

Labor and Greens senators expressed their surprise about the move and wanted to know the cost of the drug tests.

Department officials refused to provide detail, citing negotiations with a private firm that may conduct the tests.

They also told the hearing the drug testing proposal, announced in the budget, had been considered "for well over a year".

So despite no other attempt to do this coming close to that sort of a number this is how they're trying to sell it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

ABC posted:

Department officials refused to provide detail, citing negotiations with a private firm that may conduct the tests.

Florida all over again.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if they already have data on who's doing drugs why do they need to do the testing

oh right there no data nm

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Bogan King posted:

quote:

They also told the hearing the drug testing proposal, announced in the budget, had been considered "for well over a year".

This reads like they've known it's a stinker for well over a year but now they're desperate.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's not about the tests or the results.

It's about paying a mate's private company a shitload of taxpayer money to conduct the tests and getting favors in return.

Classic corruption :toot:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

DancingShade posted:

It's not about the tests or the results.

It's about paying a mate's private company a shitload of taxpayer money to conduct the tests and getting favors in return.

Classic corruption :toot:

Don't forget poor shaming. Even if there wasn't graft they'd still need that to get hard.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Don't forget poor shaming. Even if there wasn't graft they'd still need that to get hard.

Poor shaming is a benefit but it's mostly about the graft.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/petertaggart/status/869769870979678208

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

covfefe is no longer funny,. please edit your post.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
We now live in the age of turbo memes

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Death by covfefe!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Nice, Court can finally preach to everyone in the country

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

CrazyTolradi posted:

He is dumb enough to do this, I'm pretty sure they're representing themselves too. It's really funny because they have this vision of how it's all going to go down and it just goes the opposite way.

I think one of them had money, but a good chunk of it was blown trying to start up a half-assed "legitimate political party", so no idea if he can still afford representation. The other two have been in legal trouble before, it'd be pretty hilarious if they went to gaol (again, in Blair's case).

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

JBP posted:

Nice, Court can finally preach to everyone in the country

Court of Public Opinion

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.amazon.com/Creamed-Possum-Gravy-Garnished-Potatoes/dp/B00UGM9LHK

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm sorry, garnished in what now?

E. Who knew there was a market for comedy canned goods

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 31, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

and the ways that drug testing will be used for graft continue to appear [ABC]

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/couriermail/status/870010232923070464

:munch:

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
What does it loving take before the police/legal system is actually forced to do something?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Black and / or Muslim

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

aejix posted:

What does it loving take before the police/legal system is actually forced to do something?

Prediction that nothing will happen unless the majors feel safely firewalled off the implications that they do it too. There are plenty of things that go on that should be investigated but aren't because someone's getting paid to ignore it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Pauline Hanson is just as useful now as she was 20 years ago. Two good things and one political. She helps identify the idiots who support her poo poo so you can inform your opinion of them. She makes the rest of the nation talk about some horrible poo poo, to rebut her arguments, that they wouldn't otherwise bring up. Once she has conglomerated a huge pile of poo poo around herself, again, the status quo in parliament can chuck her in jail again and point and say, look at us, we're not like that right?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

It
Keeps
Happening

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pauline is not DJing like a mad oval office
not like a mad oval office at all

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can't defund the courier Mail lol.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

1488 to you too JB Hi-Fi

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

starkebn posted:

She makes the rest of the nation talk about some horrible poo poo, to rebut her arguments, that they wouldn't otherwise bring up.

Yeah and once the LNP has a grasp on which arguments stick and which don't they adopt all the "good" ones for themselves and whaddya know all those "idiotic" "crazy" "fringe" policies are inalienable mainstream rhetoric that will never be disarmed.

There is no outcome to the re-emergence of One Nation that ends with the country shifting away from her ideas. Corruption, sheer incompetency, none of it really matters.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Murderers should instead sign up for the ADF

Finally Barnabus speaks some sense

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Paywalled but you get the gist of it

https://twitter.com/crikey_news/status/870070042435694592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/national/public-service/darwin-or-dole-for-public-servants-says-lnp-20170531-gwgvhs.html

Federal public servants should face the sack if they if they refuse to go to work in Darwin, a former Coalition minister says.

Queensland Senator Ian Macdonald says federal bureaucrats in Canberra live "very privileged lives", describing the capital as a place where buses run every five minutes and hospitals are dotted around the suburbs.

The former mining minister for regional services believes that public servants should be forced en masse to regional Queensland and the Northern Territory, where he says people are "less demanding" and expect fewer government handouts.

Senator Macdonald was responding to comments in Senate Estimates early this week by Treasury Secretary John Fraser who complained that none of his public servants had been willing to answer a call for help from the territory's bureaucracy.

Mr Fraser said the NT's public service requested the assistance of a federal Treasury official to work in Darwin for three months but no-one in the top economic agency had been interested, despite the posting being advertised twice.

The Treasury Secretary told the senators on the Economics Committee that it was sad his agency's workers were not up for a "bit of adventure" in the top end.

But Senator Macdonald went further, saying he wants people sacked if they refuse to "get out of their very privileged lives" in Canberra Sydney or Melbourne and move to the regions, he told ABC radio Darwin.

"I would have thought that if a public servants had been asked by their boss, the secretary of the department, to go to Darwin, albeit only for three months, that person should do what was asked of them," the Howard-era minister said.

"I wouldn't have thought that person should be in a position to say 'nah' I"m not going to Darwin."

"I was aghast to hear that no-one volunteered and that people wouldn't go."

The Northern Territory has lost a higher proportion, 15 per cent, of federal public servants since 2013, more than than any other state or territory, down to just 2,220.

But a suggestion this year from another NT Liberal figure, former Country Liberal Party Deputy Chief Minister Mike Reed, that large numbers of public servants from the Prime Minister's department move to Alice Springs was met with silence.

Residents of the national capital might be surprised at Senator Macdonald's impression of their city, which he says has a lifestyle very different to that of northern Australia.

"If you lived in Canberra, you've got a school down every street, you've got a hospital in the next suburb, you've got four-lane highways wherever you go, you've got the very best of telecommunications, of theatre, of whatever aspect of life," he said.

"They just don't get the feel of what it's like to live and work and play in places that are far away from these privileged societies that they, from birth I guess, have always experienced."

Senator Macdonald praised Mr Fraser for opening a Treasury office in Perth but said there should be outposts in Darwin and far north Queensland too.

"I think that if public servants did get out of their privileged lives in Canberra and Melbourne or Sydney and went to Darwin, they'd probably never leave," Senator Macdonald said.

"We find that a lot in Townsville, those who are forced to come there suddenly become its greatest advocates, they love the place."

Amazingly, people fortunate enough to live somewhere good don't want to move to somewhere poo poo.

• Locked thread