Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Multiplayer was dead on arrival because it's only boring rallycross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wolffenstein posted:

Pitty. Oh well, it'll still be a fun way to thrash around a car that's not my actual and dearly beloved Accent shitbox daily driver or the work gator.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
New roadbook is up, talking briefly about the two driving modes. I belive they said earlier that the gamer mode would have the same physics, but have "advanced assists". Now the physics will apparently be different. Not like i care much how gamer mode will feel, but I guess two separate online leaderboards will be necessary then.
http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/05/dirt-4-road-book-050517/

Also, someone on Reddit figured out the car list from posted community video although its not necessarily final.

Reddit user Trololol72 posted:

Since DiRT Rally:
Removed cars:
Audi Sport quattro S1 Pikes Peak
Austin Mini Rallycross
Citroën C4 WRC
Ford Fiesta RS WRC
Hyundai i20 WRC
MINI JCW WRC
Peugeot 205 T16 Pikes Peak
Peugeot 207 S1600
Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak
Peugeot 405 T16 Pikes Peak
Subaru Impreza WRX STi GV Rallycross
Subaru Impreza WRC GH
Volkswagen Polo R WRC
New cars:
Ford Fiesta R2
Ford Fiesta R5
Ford Focus RS RX
Ford RS200 Rallycross
Hyundai i20 R5 (Pre-order only)
Lancia Delta S4 Rallycross
MG Metro 6R4 Rallycross
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI
Mitsubishi R5
OMSE Supercar Lite
Opel Adam R2
Opel Ascona 400
Peugeot 205 GTI
Peugeot 205 T16 Rallycross
Peugeot 208 T16 R5
Subaru WRX STi NR4
Volkswagen Polo S1600

Notice that the newest WRC car will be the 2007 Focus. The R5s are used in WRC2 but even those aren't this years model. I dont mind since i never really liked the modern cars, but I see that a lot of people did. Hopefully they can figure something out for licencing.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That seems unlikely considering WRC have a license-specific game to protect.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
My boss got into the closed beta thing. Apparently there's car markets and stuff ala the auction house in the GT games.

I didn't ask him but I assume there might be some kind of car upgrading/modding.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Keket posted:

My boss got into the closed beta thing. Apparently there's car markets and stuff ala the auction house in the GT games.

I didn't ask him but I assume there might be some kind of car upgrading/modding.

BRB putting a Group B turbo engine in the 60s Mini.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

njsykora posted:

BRB putting a Group B turbo engine in the 60s Mini.

I'm sending my condolences to your family.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wonder if and how bad the DLC will be

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wonder if and how bad the DLC will be

Why would it be bad?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

poo poo sorry I meant microtransactions scheme

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'll gladly throw money at them of the game gets continued support.

Dirt Rally one of my most played games outside of iRacing and AC.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Well yeah definitely, but I also don't want every group b car behind a paywall or some credits that would take 72 hours to earn

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That strikes me as highly unlikely

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

julian assflange posted:

That strikes me as highly unlikely

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
CodeMasters are a bunch of 'Good Lads Who Mean Well'

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They also haven't released a game with paid DLC in about 3-4 years. Think the last game they put out with DLC was Grid Autosport in 2014.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Let's hope

That greed gets the best of everyone eventually....

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

Grid Autosport

*Sideshow Bob-style shudders*

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Heads up, the game is on a free weekend on steam so if you're curious you can install it and play until Sunday I believe. It's also on sale for £12 which is easily the cheapest it's been.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Nice. Maybe some new players will get in on it before dirt 4 hits. The online challenges are pretty dead by now. I finally got a top 5 daily finish, which was weird to me since i hadn't played in a while, only to see there where only about 350 finishers.

In Dirt 4 news. here's a video of some Dutch guys playing the not yet seen Spanish and Swedish rallies. Sweden looks promising to me. The road is perhaps a bit wider than in DR, but the snowbanks are still deadly, even on gamer mode. Spain somehow looks a bit clinical. Pacenotes seem ok if fairly simplistic.

http://www.gamekings.tv/videos/lets-play-dirt-4/

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's been a while since I installed a free weekend game but I can't seem to do it? I go to the store page and hit Play Game but it doesn't install nor appear in my games list.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Some guys just put up a video of the first hour and a half of Dirt 4 gameplay. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld9dwVOCXSM

Edit: I'm really impressed by the stage generator. I only noticed a little repetition on the Michigan one. This makes me feel a lot better about losing the custom recorded co-driver notes for each stage.

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 19, 2017

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Found someone that has been uploading some decently skilled sim-mode stages from dirt 4. On a controller, sadly, but as close to good footage as I have seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUZB2Rk9Sg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkfe4lJ-zmo

Some more videos on their account here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I feel like I saw the same jump into water splash bit 3 times in those 2 videos. I'm really not sold on the procgen stages.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah, he apparently got his pre order physical copy early. Definitely looks promising.

Speaking of, its only a little over a week until release, and this thread is pretty much all Dirt 4 anyway. Should I or someone else get to work on a new thread perhaps?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe update the thread title

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

DiRT Megathread: Now with procedurally generated posts

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am excited for Dirt 4 next week

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Dirt 4 is an evolution of dirt rally in a lot of ways, I think a title change is all that's required.

Interesting video on audio capture for dirt 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2XNhJCS0U

Qmass fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 31, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Is this the same engine as the other recent CM games?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Norns posted:

Is this the same engine as the other recent CM games?

"Same" EGO engine they've been using since GRID, which was just renamed Neon engine from Dirt 1. It just gets various upgrades with each new game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Good then I don't to worry about any upgrades.

My OCED k2500k is still kicking and if I still get over 60 fps on the triples I don't care to upgrade.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ego is up to Ego 4 at this point. Dirt Rally was on Ego 2 (the Dirt 3 engine) so this'll effectively be the first time they've made something other than the F1 games on this current version, though the F1 games run great so I wouldn't worry about upgrades if you can run those fine.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 31, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah F1 2016 ran with almost everything but a couple settings on ultra.

Not much else coming this year in Sims I give a poo poo about. So I can squeeze by without upgrading again!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

wolffenstein posted:

If you get lucky you can find a host who has swapped out asset files to trick the game into doing rallycross on the rally tracks with the rally cars, they tend to be the only people online anymore. It's technically broken, but all that really matters is who finishes first.

I'm so loving stoked for this game. My 2600k's motherboard died, so I built an 1800X rig.

Haven't seen much of them, but the procgen Spanish villages look sooooo fuckin pretty! I'm liable to spend as much time being a Tourist as I am racing

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dirt 4 is 46 bucks shipped for Amazon Prime members. Console only probably.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

New Zealand can eat me posted:

If you get lucky you can find a host who has swapped out asset files to trick the game into doing rallycross on the rally tracks with the rally cars, they tend to be the only people online anymore. It's technically broken, but all that really matters is who finishes first.

I'm so loving stoked for this game. My 2600k's motherboard died, so I built an 1800X rig.

Haven't seen much of them, but the procgen Spanish villages look sooooo fuckin pretty! I'm liable to spend as much time being a Tourist as I am racing

Just buy a 1700 non x and overclock it. They are literally the same chip as the 1800x and so much cheaper to do it that way.

Edit: sorry, I read this wrong. I thought it said you were going to build one, not already built one.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 1, 2017

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.

cowboy elvis posted:

Dirt 4 is 46 bucks shipped for Amazon Prime members. Console only probably.

The PC version is 48 on green man gaming. I think it only shows up if you're "vip" which just means you need to register an account.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

It's unlikely that they'd sell a non-online drm version of the game isn't it? Also, what would be the point of buying it from the code masters online store when all it does is just give you a steam key?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dev's get a bigger cut when you buy directly from them.

• Locked thread