Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

codenameFANGIO posted:

... wait, really? I have heard literally nothing about this game lol

This is a forum where the 12 people who actually bought Alpha Protocol all post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

babypolis posted:

how is wildlands the best selling game of 2017 its trash

A lot of people don't really care about videogames beyond buying whatever is new to pass the time over the weekend.

Honestly I wish I could go back to not giving a gently caress about opportunity cost and just playing whatever but I just can't.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

It's been stated many times but goon opinions on games are not really representative of the public at large. Case in point: the Nier Automata thread has 3x the posts of surefire 10+ million seller and GOTY contender Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

This doesn't really change your joke but Nier sold 1.5m copies that's nuts.

Also GR: W did sell really well at launch but I get the sense that its reputation isn't that great? It's probably a Watch Dogs situation where the game sold well but the series has a bad rep now.

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 31, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

These Sega Master System and NES ghostbusters games are even worse than I remember.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The Nier:A thread probably has so many posts because goons can't shut the gently caress up about "what constitutes anime"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bad Game Sells Copies.

Full report at 11:00.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

suuma posted:

The Nier:A thread probably has so many posts because goons can't shut the gently caress up about "what constitutes anime"

Nier Automata is an anagram for Aut Taro Anime, I'll let you be the judge.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

It's been stated many times but goon opinions on games are not really representative of the public at large. Case in point: the Nier Automata thread has 3x the posts of surefire 10+ million seller and GOTY contender Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

Perhaps the most telling thing is that we don't even keep threads about sports video games in the same forum.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sometimes I'm in the mood to buy sports games but it seems like they mostly revolve around the ultimate team modes now where you buy booster packs and stuff and it kinda puts me off + I just play mario golf or something instead

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lakbay posted:

Aren't RTS with real time base building/attacking on the same map sorta deadish. I know a new Star Craft was released but that's it. I don't follow the genre so I'm probably wrong
There have been some good RTS games released in recent years like Grey Goo and Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak but the genre has been overshadowed by MOBA's so nobody really cares.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It seems like the consensus around the internet is that Wildlands sold a whole bunch but ended up being pretty meh, not bad or good really.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr E posted:

It seems like the consensus around the internet is that Wildlands sold a whole bunch but ended up being pretty meh, not bad or good really.

This describes the entirety of Ubisoft's catalogue for about five years running imo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm playing persona 5 on Normal and everything's been super easy (I'm on palace 5), not a single "ambush surprise game over" yet. :shrug:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Like most co-op games, Wildlands is a lot of fun with friends and not very fun alone :shrug:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
There are far better co-op games

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

This describes the entirety of Ubisoft's catalogue for about five years running imo.

It's actually more like ten years.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Assassin's Creed is ten years old, everyone.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Dr Cheeto posted:

There are far better co-op games

Well of course but you can only play Overcooked for so long.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Rainbow Six: Siege is very good and very buggy and I love it. Pretty much everything else, though, ya.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Remember the Prince of Persia reboot

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

suuma posted:

Doesn't this happen to every thread at some point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

an actual dog posted:

Remember the Prince of Persia reboot

I remember the ending sucked but it was also one of the most beautiful games of that generation, like drat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't call For Honor a fighting game

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wouldn't call it a good game, either! :downsrim:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

im aware of that but even reviewers trashed that game

like when an AAA game gets a 70 on metacritic you know its real bad

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

I wouldn't call For Honor a fighting game

The characters have unique movesets, combos, blocks, parries, cancels, and throws. The objective of each match is to get the other guy's health down to zero. It's a fighting game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think having it be Team based with creep waves is enough for to be like basically a MOBA.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But I guess it shows up FG tourneys and poo poo so who cares what the genre is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

I think having it be Team based with creep waves is enough for to be like basically a MOBA.

The team mode is a gear-based nothing matters mode. It shares almost nothing in common with a MOBA other than "you are on a team" I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is For Honor a roguelike

is for honor an anime

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

it includes hanzo steel, I'll allow it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
It's an R1A2 game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How about instead of Fighting Game it's Fightstick Game, i.e. If you can play it with an arcade controller it's in that genre.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

In Training posted:

How about instead of Fighting Game it's Fightstick Game, i.e. If you can play it with an arcade controller it's in that genre.

So it's like shmup

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

puyo puyo is a fighting game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I was trying to think of an absurd companion to follow this which led to me imagining a version of competitive Sim City where the better you're doing the more disasters you can send to your opponent's town.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lurdiak posted:

These Sega Master System and NES ghostbusters games are even worse than I remember.

The Megadrive one is decent-ish

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

It actually is

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Phantasium posted:

I was trying to think of an absurd companion to follow this which led to me imagining a version of competitive Sim City where the better you're doing the more disasters you can send to your opponent's town.

That actually sounds really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish twinkle star sprites was the start of a parallel competitive genre instead of a one-off blended success. There's so much potential in that basic idea

• Locked thread