Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Classtoise posted:

I feel like that one "joke" Will Smith's kid told him in The Pursuit of Happiness is something more of these idiots need to learn. Especially the whole "God isn't going to wave his hand and make it better but maybe he'll throw opportunities to fix it at you"

Like wasn't that a Thing in the Bible? God not acting explicitly, but by making others do it?

Here's every preacher's favorite joke:

Your vicar posted:

A man was trapped in his house during a flood. He began praying to God to rescue him. He had a vision in his head of God’s hand reaching down from heaven and lifting him to safety. The water started to rise in his house. His neighbour urged him to leave and offered him a ride to safety. The man yelled back, “I am waiting for God to save me.” The neighbour drove off in his pick-up truck.

Flood
The man continued to pray and hold on to his vision. As the water began rising in his house, he had to climb up to the roof. A boat came by with some people heading for safe ground. They yelled at the man to grab a rope they were ready to throw and take him to safety. He told them that he was waiting for God to save him. They shook their heads and moved on.

The man continued to pray, believing with all his heart that he would be saved by God. The flood waters continued to rise. A helicopter flew by and a voice came over a loudspeaker offering to lower a ladder and take him off the roof. The man waved the helicopter away, shouting back that he was waiting for God to save him. The helicopter left. The flooding water came over the roof and caught him up and swept him away. He drowned.

When he reached heaven and asked, “God, why did you not save me? I believed in you with all my heart. Why did you let me drown?” God replied, “I sent you a pick-up truck, a boat and a helicopter and you refused all of them. What else could I possibly do for you?”

BarbarianElephant fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Classtoise posted:

I feel like that one "joke" Will Smith's kid told him in The Pursuit of Happiness is something more of these idiots need to learn. Especially the whole "God isn't going to wave his hand and make it better but maybe he'll throw opportunities to fix it at you"

Like wasn't that a Thing in the Bible? God not acting explicitly, but by making others do it?

I mean, yeah I get that they're saying it to avoid risking even a penny of their revenue but still.

It's just something they're saying to trick the rubes. Religion, just like "Internet Rationality" and any other groupthink, is a an easy way to trick dummies into doing what you want - it's a foot in the door.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

How familiar are you with this? I don't want to spoil nothing

Not much. It's on my to-read list. :)

But, given the Legacy of Kain series was inspired, in part, by Elric, I get your meaning.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Here's a piece that isn't exactly going to provide you with any great political insight, but it's a very evocative literary description of Trump's hollow existence:

Rebecca Solnit posted:

A man who wished to become the most powerful man in the world, and by happenstance and intervention and a series of disasters was granted his wish. Surely he must have imagined that more power meant more flattery, a grander image, a greater hall of mirrors reflecting back his magnificence. But he misunderstood power and prominence. This man had bullied friends and acquaintances, wives and servants, and he bullied facts and truths, insistent that he was more than they were, than it is, that it too must yield to his will. It did not, but the people he bullied pretended that it did. Or perhaps it was that he was a salesman, throwing out one pitch after another, abandoning each one as soon as it left his mouth. A hungry ghost always wants the next thing, not the last thing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Classtoise posted:

I mean, yeah I get that they're saying it to avoid risking even a penny of their revenue but still.

Jesus flat-out refuses to do magic stuff at one point, saying, "Do not put God to the test." This guy may not be the best Christian.:laugh:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

so, how much damage will we do to the environment in the 1-3 (god willing) years remaining in Trump's term? I feel that even if Trump pulls out we will rejoin as soon as someone sane takes the office and we can make up the damage, somehow

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Carlosologist posted:

so, how much damage will we do to the environment in the 1-3 (god willing) years remaining in Trump's term? I feel that even if Trump pulls out we will rejoin as soon as someone sane takes the office and we can make up the damage, somehow

Treaties don't generally work that way, otherwise everyone would be like "Eh, we might sign if it turns out to be cool."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Carlosologist posted:

The Paris Agreement was pretty toothless to begin with. Signing it is more political than anything else, and Trump might have pulled out merely as a gently caress you to Obama.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:killing:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Majorian posted:

Jesus flat-out refuses to do magic stuff at one point, saying, "Do not put God to the test." This guy may not be the best Christian.:laugh:

To that I say: If you are the Christ. Show me that you are no fool, walk across my swimming pool!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Christ did cast lightning bolt on a tree that pissed him off though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Poor Barron. Imagine being 11 years old and the whole world, your father included, is talking about how gullible you are.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

To that I say: If you are the Christ. Show me that you are no fool, walk across my swimming pool!

Alice Cooper played that role once, and was insanely good at it.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Carlosologist posted:

At this point we need massive carbon sequestration efforts in order to contain climate change. There's really no going back at this point.

If any dent is going to be made in this problem the US won't be the one to make it. We're a joke. Our best and brightest are working on apps and startups shilling $400 juice squeezers and figuring out how best to automate day-trading transactions. Our silicon valley billionaires are convinced our reality is a simulation or that the singularity is right around the corner. We've retreated into a fantasy realm.

Even if Trump allowed us to remain in the treaty, do you think our government would enforce it?

Really, what would've made a big difference is not voting in Bush in 2000.

My advice? Stay out of the Climate Change thread and off the internet and enjoy your life. Go outside. The opportunity cost of worrying about intractable problems like human stupidity and greed or Climate Change is too high. There's nothing you can do since our representatives do not care and our society is structured in such as way that those who care are prevented from occupying positions of power. Climate Change will be addressed when Exxon decides it should be - as soon as we can put oil rigs in the soon-to-be Arctic Ocean.

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 31, 2017

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Don't worry about it, it's already completely hosed beyond any hope of repair, and will just keep on getting worse unless there is a sudden and massive human depopulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

quote:

the present rate of extinction may be up to 140,000 species per year

tight aspirations fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 31, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PT6A posted:

Yeah it's not like Christ's vicar on Earth issued an encyclical about our duty to care for the planet or anything. Those drat religious people!

Too many religious people think religion is the only thing that can make a person do good, and too many atheists think religion is something that makes people bad. The truth is that people just do whatever the gently caress they want and justify it all post hoc regardless of what they think happens to you when you die.

Remember that a significant number of elected Republicans genuinely believe that the rapture will happen within their lifetimes and their responsibility on earth is putting the pieces in place for this to happen, which means making sure that Jews control both Jerusalem and the Al-Aqsa mosque. They believe the battle of Armageddon must be fought in the middle east so that Jesus can show up and take them all out for ice cream or whatever. Climate change doesn't matter at all to these people. Evangelicals didn't just melt away with the Bush administration. There are still 50 million of these motherfuckers.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Apoplexy posted:

What he means is

In 2018, you can't loving get a Democratic House. You likely can't even get a Democratic Senate. What then

By the time we get both of those things, Trump's going to be a decaying corpse. While we SHOULD put his future body up on charges and harangue him like Pope Formosus, I dunno if Democrats have it in them to do it.

Democrats can absolutely take the House in 2018 but they need a wave like 2006 or so to have a shot at it. The Senate is a near impossibility and somehow flipping the Senate would mean sweeping almost every other race on state and federal levels.

TyrantWD posted:

He does know that every media outlet has already reported what his decision was? I thought he used to understand entertainment.

If he was even a fraction as smart as he wants people to think he is he'd announce that he's not pulling out of the accords and then go on to blast the FAKE BIASED MEDIA for spending days claiming otherwise.

theflyingorc posted:

You just have it backwards - the senate layout is terrible for Democrats in 2018, the house is only a problem due to gerrymandering.

The Senate's problem is partially due to (state level) Gerrymandering since it's allowed for several blue/purple states to remain in the GOP's grip and the GOP has wasted no time in gutting voting rights and ballot access for millions of Americans. Specifically those who by a large majority vote Democratic. That further helps them keep Senate seats, and in the case of WI/MI and possibly NC, win the state during presidential elections.

Rigel posted:

I'm nowhere near as concerned or freaked out about the Paris agreement as a lot of people will be. It was incredibly weak and almost worthless in the first place.

There is no enforcement mechanism or penalty, all you agree to do is set a target, measure CO2 levels, and if you fail, explain why. We could literally say "our unemployment is too high and we need more jobs, so we just didn't feel like it was worth meeting our targets. Sorry, maybe next time."

Except China and Europe could negotiate a stronger deal if the US leaves (since China's already going to pass its goals as will countries like India IIRC), and impose penalties on any country that doesn't take part. Like, say, the US.

Or we just sit still while the rest of the world moves forward.

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/869931492566114305

Seriously why does Booz Allen Hamilton still have a government contract

The same reason Lockheed-Martin does: it doesn't take much to bribe members of Congress via "donations" to ensure multi-billion dollar contracts head their way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

god "yo make heaven by doing the things you expect to receive in heaven"

gop "praying is doing stuff right?"

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The climate is hosed my dude. We should have started turning away from the iceberg a long time ago.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Blitz7x posted:

The climate is hosed my dude. We should have started turning away from the iceberg a long time ago.

But, I don't use central heating too much during the winter, don't use A.C. in the summer. I recycle, take short showers and walk to the shops. I bought a low flow toilet and LED bulbs, and I buy local produce as much as possible. Surely I can save the planet!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Remember that a significant number of elected Republicans genuinely believe that the rapture will happen within their lifetimes and their responsibility on earth is putting the pieces in place for this to happen, which means making sure that Jews control both Jerusalem and the Al-Aqsa mosque. They believe the battle of Armageddon must be fought in the middle east so that Jesus can show up and take them all out for ice cream or whatever. Climate change doesn't matter at all to these people. Evangelicals didn't just melt away with the Bush administration. There are still 50 million of these motherfuckers.

And they're frequently dominionist - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology - and doing the whole quiverfull thing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull.

These people are a massive part of the problem.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I never watched Game of Thrones and don't really intend to so I'm going to say Trump is King Arthur. He's hosed his relative, didn't listen to the kindly wizard, has sent his kingdom to hell, relies exclusively on the counsel of Rich white men, favors a system in which the wealth of the poor is transferred upwards through Lords and eventually to him, and will be killed by his son.

And Sean Spicer is the black adder.

Don't forget that he is opposed by newfangle folk.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Skippy Granola posted:

But, I don't use central heating too much during the winter, don't use A.C. in the summer. I recycle, take short showers and walk to the shops. I bought a low flow toilet and LED bulbs, and I buy local produce as much as possible. Surely I can save the planet!

Can you do me a favor and stop taking showers, I want to water my almond orchard
ps: stop flushing the toilet too plz

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Trump is Thoth Amon, and Barron is the god in the bowl. Bernie is Conan?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Huzanko posted:

And they're frequently dominionist - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Theology - and doing the whole quiverfull thing - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull.

These people are a massive part of the problem.

One of the many problems is that the Republican party is such a combination of crazy and evil that it's difficult to report on because you sound insane reporting the truth.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Trump is the crawling chaos at the center of the universe and we are all blind idiot pipers playing eternally around him

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

Trump is Thoth Amon, and Barron is the god in the bowl. Bernie is Conan?

Arnold is Conan. Bernie is Malek.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

One of the many problems is that the Republican party is such a combination of crazy and evil that it's difficult to report on because you sound insane reporting the truth.

Yeah, years ago, before this stuff had actual Wikipedia pages and people openly talking about it, I'd tell people about it and they'd think I was left-wing Alex Jones.

The most frustrating thing about all these conservative conspiracy theorists is that reality is crazier than anything they could make up but they have to hawk these conspiracies to cover up the really real horrible poo poo happening. It's almost like they were the original false flag. :)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Yeah, these morons are a very significant problem. But it's not religion itself that is the problem, it's the particular strain of selfish and intellectually incurious pseudo-Christianity that's endemic to the US. No religion is without its flaws, but this strain is indeed one of the worst ones.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

my bony fealty posted:

Trump is the crawling chaos at the center of the universe and we are all blind idiot pipers playing eternally around him

Probably the best analogy possible :thumbsup:

e: covfefe-fe! covfefe-fe!

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 31, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Huzanko posted:

Yeah, years ago, before this stuff had actual Wikipedia pages and people openly talking about it, I'd tell people about it and they'd think I was left-wing Alex Jones.

The most frustrating thing about all these conservative conspiracy theorists is that reality is crazier than anything they could make up but they have to hawk these conspiracies to cover up the really real horrible poo poo happening. It's almost like they were the original false flag. :)

It also doesn't help that the media can't have one party being 100% bad (since they that would offend half their viewership's tender feelings) so they have to constantly smooth their edges or find ways to inflate what would be routine political scandals of the Democrats into huge deals.

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
Every time I hear about these religious movements I just know those dudes are into the nastiest pornos.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

So he's the bad thing in the fifth element?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Huzanko posted:

"The main thing that I learned about conspiracy theory is that conspiracy theorists actually believe in a conspiracy because that is more comforting. The truth of the world is that it is chaotic. The truth is, that it is not the Jewish banking conspiracy or the grey aliens or the 12 foot reptiloids from another dimension that are in control. The truth is more frightening, nobody is in control. The world is rudderless." - Alan Moore

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Radish posted:

It also doesn't help that the media can't have one party being 100% bad (since they that would offend half their viewership's tender feelings) so they have to constantly smooth their edges or find ways to inflate what would be routine political scandals of the Democrats into huge deals.

That actually makes Democrat scandals look worse. Trump had a major scandal a week in the election. To balance this, the media brought up the Clinton emails A LOT. This ended up looking to the ignorant like Trump had a lot of little insignificant scandals and Clinton had one HUGE scandal that was surely going to get her impeached if she was elected.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And Sean Spicer is the black adder.

SEASON 1 Blackadder. Don't you dare imply otherwise.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

my bony fealty posted:

I think it's usually Nyarlathotep who is referred to as "the Crawling Chaos", not Azathoth. Trump definitely seems like more of an Azathoth guy though, I would agree with that.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Flesh Forge posted:

Can you do me a favor and stop taking showers, I want to water my almond orchard
ps: stop flushing the toilet too plz

But I will get fired from my job at the fracking factory if I'm smelly!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

SEASON 1 Blackadder. Don't you dare imply otherwise.

Or Season 2 Percy.

BarbarianElephant posted:

That actually makes Democrat scandals look worse. Trump had a major scandal a week in the election. To balance this, the media brought up the Clinton emails A LOT. This ended up looking to the ignorant like Trump had a lot of little insignificant scandals and Clinton had one HUGE scandal that was surely going to get her impeached if she was elected.

To be fair based on the congressional makeup that was probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eletriarnation posted:

I think it's usually Nyarlathotep who is referred to as "the Crawling Chaos", not Azathoth. Trump definitely seems like more of an Azathoth guy though, I would agree with that.

Yeah, Nyarlathotep is too clever to be Trump. Trump's the blind idiot god and his administration are providing the "maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes."

• Locked thread