Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

An unfertilized egg contains a chicken in the sense that a bag of dog food contains a dog. It's a bunch of disorganized proteins and fats that by themselves could never turn into a chicken, and a single cell.
It's missing a sex chromosome and otherwise is a package of materials and genetic instructions. A bag of dog food doesn't actually contain the all of the right stuff in the right proportion to create a dog from scratch, certainly not without being broken down by digestion first, and with lots of water. And egg also provides a small holding case to keep the embryo safe while a dog fetus in a bag of kibble is more of a tasteless prank.

This will not stop my attempts to grow kittens in a small bowl of milk however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Related, I won a bet against my parents because they were insistent that the yolk was what developed into a chicken. 2 people with post docs (one has a BS!)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Eggs are super loving gross when you think about it, but they are delicious so it is a conundrum.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Eggs are super loving gross when you think about it, but they are delicious so it is a conundrum.

Hollismason eat the eggs.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SLOSifl posted:

It's missing a sex chromosome and otherwise is a package of materials and genetic instructions. A bag of dog food doesn't actually contain the all of the right stuff in the right proportion to create a dog from scratch, certainly not without being broken down by digestion first, and with lots of water. And egg also provides a small holding case to keep the embryo safe while a dog fetus in a bag of kibble is more of a tasteless prank.

This will not stop my attempts to grow kittens in a small bowl of milk however.

The dog food bag isn't a bad analogy. Probably upwards of 99% of the material in the egg is just food and life support. And no, it's missing fully half of its chromosomes, not just the sex chromosome.

Fun video just because embryos are alien looking fuckers and that's rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PedajVADLGw

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Slugnoid posted:

a reporter goes to interview a notorious criminal, winds up taking part in a surprise game of Russian roulette;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Er3J1YHCMw

Notice how his ears are hosed up? When he was in prison he had another inmate cut of his ears so he could be transferred to a mental health wing.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Hell, they have a very serious petition to cancel it already!

https://www.change.org/p/ubisoft-cancel-far-cry-5

Way to bury the lead.

quote:

We’ve sat through your multicultural lectures and your preachy games aimed at degenerates and miscegenators.

edit: nevermind, there is no lead to bury. it's all gold.

Ultimate Shrek Fan has a new favorite as of 19:41 on May 31, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Slugnoid posted:

a reporter goes to interview a notorious criminal, winds up taking part in a surprise game of Russian roulette;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Er3J1YHCMw

Amidst the chicken talk, I just wanted to take a moment to say how loving crazy this was. Even if it wasn't loaded (I don't know if it was all "a joke"), JESUS loving CHRIST.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

GrandpaPants posted:

Amidst the chicken talk, I just wanted to take a moment to say how loving crazy this was. Even if it wasn't loaded (I don't know if it was all "a joke"), JESUS loving CHRIST.

I take it you haven't met chopper before. That is very on brand for him. Well was. He's dead now.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Bogan King posted:

I take it you haven't met chopper before. That is very on brand for him. Well was. He's dead now.

No idea who he is, although from the clip I'm assuming he's an uncleaned up version of "Crocodile Dundee". An actual "Australian National Treasure", who died, probably of old age in his sleep.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

No idea who he is, although from the clip I'm assuming he's an uncleaned up version of "Crocodile Dundee". An actual "Australian National Treasure", who died, probably of old age in his sleep.

Close - he died in a shoot out with the police.

Edit; wow, Chopper Read apparently once shat in a mans face in order to escape from him.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 21:20 on May 31, 2017

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016
I had no idea who that was either, but his wikipedia entry is about to sell me a book:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_%22Chopper%22_Read

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Glad I hung in there, feel good story.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tip Shades posted:

I had no idea who that was either, but his wikipedia entry is about to sell me a book:

He's also spawned some comedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Tip Shades posted:

Watch the movie 'Chopper' starring Eric Bana. His books are red hot garbage.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

The dog food bag isn't a bad analogy. Probably upwards of 99% of the material in the egg is just food and life support. And no, it's missing fully half of its chromosomes, not just the sex chromosome.

Fun video just because embryos are alien looking fuckers and that's rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PedajVADLGw

That's awesome, not in small part because it was brought to me by PoultryHub

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Nutsngum posted:

Chopper was really a nut bag for sure. Obviously not loaded but just a fuckwit thing to do.

The reporter Renee Brack did a follow up story on SBS after he died. She claims she saw him put a bullet in the cylinder, for what that's worth.

It's hard to guess tbh because while chopper was a legit psycho who did torture, steal, kidnap and probably got away with a couple of murders - he was also a notorious bullshitter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2iZlkaueE

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hollismason posted:

I think they taste gross so it all adds up to me and I think the rest of society is insane.

They are nutritious though, I'll give you that. But people say eating placenta is nutritious too :stonk:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Roblo posted:

Close - he died in a shoot out with the police.

Edit; wow, Chopper Read apparently once shat in a mans face in order to escape from him.

No he didnt. He died of HepC at the age of like 65.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

Kind of close funnily enough. Watch the movie "Chopper" with Eric Bana. Its real good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

That cow's dead

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This kills the cow.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Solice Kirsk posted:

This kills the cow.

Well yeah, that's how it's usually done.

Additional 'freude: a racist Australian politician who has been campaigning against halal food was VERY ANGRY that halal butchers were slitting the throats of live cattle and even brought it up in an official senate hearing. It was explained to her that the cattle are stunned first and she was all "NO THEY'RE ALIVE I WAS TOLD!!" and someone had to explain to her what 'stunned' means.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/35625403/hanson-worried-about-halal-cow-deaths/#page1

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
gently caress she's an idiot.

loving Queensland, cut it loose.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well yeah, that's how it's usually done.

Additional 'freude: a racist Australian politician who has been campaigning against halal food was VERY ANGRY that halal butchers were slitting the throats of live cattle and even brought it up in an official senate hearing. It was explained to her that the cattle are stunned first and she was all "NO THEY'RE ALIVE I WAS TOLD!!" and someone had to explain to her what 'stunned' means.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/35625403/hanson-worried-about-halal-cow-deaths/#page1

People/cows die when they are killed.

Thanks for clearing that up, Australia.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

quote:

So they're not like you and I at the moment, they're like you and I when we've been knocked out.
:allears:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Okay, chickens are the third dumbest livestock animal.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Memento posted:

gently caress she's an idiot.

loving Queensland, cut it loose.

someone needs to make that bugs bunny florida gif, only with queensland.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mephiston posted:

someone needs to make that bugs bunny florida gif, only with queensland.

Someone already did!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Is Queensland really terrible or something? I've got a buddy who teaches at QUT, he didn't seem too down on the place. Or didn't mention it if so.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ReidRansom posted:

Is Queensland really terrible or something? I've got a buddy who teaches at QUT, he didn't seem too down on the place. Or didn't mention it if so.

Brisbane isn't dreadful, if that's all you've seen of Queensland. The rest of it is the basically Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas and Florida wrapped up in one. Racist, meth-addled, redneck, xenophobic, poorly-educated, indigenous-mistreating, right-wing fundamentalist dipshits that the world would not miss if they were to go away tomorrow.

edit: VVV yeah people here get a bit of a soft spot for him because of his later book writing (they really are terrible) and the comedian Heath Franklin playing a character of him on a comedy show but he was actually a psychopath with a legitimate body count. He wasn't your pleasant Uncle Chop-Chop, he was a brutal standover man and enforcer.

Memento has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Jun 1, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So Chopper is just Aussie Bronson. Got it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Memento posted:

Brisbane isn't dreadful, if that's all you've seen of Queensland. The rest of it is the basically Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas and Florida wrapped up in one. Racist, meth-addled, redneck, xenophobic, poorly-educated, indigenous-mistreating, right-wing fundamentalist dipshits that the world would not miss if they were to go away tomorrow.

Wonderful. I'm on my way to Townsville in July.

What about Tasmania? Is Hobart secretly terrible? I've got to be there later on this year as well.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

What about Tasmania? Is Hobart secretly terrible? I've got to be there later on this year as well.

All of Australia is terrible.

Scenery is lovely but the people are garbage.

Source: am Aussie

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

So Chopper is just Aussie Bronson. Got it.

William Gibson I think wrote a character who was a standover man or thumbcutter that convinced me that guy was cool but irl he's kind of a fanny pack

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ReidRansom posted:

Hobart is really nice. Like a country town with lots of history and pleasant people that just happens to have a population of 200,000.

Townsville is a loving dirthole, sorry.

I've spent more time in Western Tasmania than the rest of it, and people are certainly weird there. Probably all the lead mining and smelting.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bogan King posted:

All of Australia is terrible.

Scenery is lovely but the people are garbage.

Source: am Aussie

Darwin was nice :colbert:

Though one of my colleagues was roofied there at a bar. Or so he says. He was found on the docks in the morning missing his pants. And he didn't drink that much

Memento posted:

Hobart is really nice. Like a country town with lots of history and pleasant people that just happens to have a population of 200,000.

Townsville is a loving dirthole, sorry.

I've spent more time in Western Tasmania than the rest of it, and people are certainly weird there. Probably all the lead mining and smelting.

And unfortunately I'll be in Townsville longer than Hobart. Balls. Ah well

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
What I'm hearing is that Australia is the South of the world and Queensland is the Florida of Australia.

Still, there is some shadenfreude in not being from Australia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx0bi1CjGBY&t=15s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
queenslands okay if youre visiting, but id never want to live there.

my mates American girlfriend told me once;
Melbourne - Boston
Sydney - LA
Perth - Houston
Gold Coast - Miami
Hobart - Anchorage
Darwin - Guam

Slugnoid has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Jun 1, 2017