Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm looking at this game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/hand-of-fate-ordeals
A cooperative deckbuilder with neat art, and done by an Australian. The only kickstarter-exclusive thing so far is cosmetic, which is nice

Oh man I didn't know they were doing a physical version of Hand of Fate. It's not surprising, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man I didn't know they were doing a physical version of Hand of Fate. It's not surprising, though.

Was thinking about it, but I can't afford it after AEGIS and the Roll Player expansion.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
lol the lovely rng screw in hand of fate and most roguelikes is so completely not suited to being an actual physical boardgame.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 28, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Was thinking about it, but I can't afford it after AEGIS and the Roll Player expansion.

I was not aware there was a Roll Player expansion! Backed the hell out of that.

Also looking really hard at Hand of Fate.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Cortex Prime seems to have turned into quite a bargain, with 18 hours to go. The unlocked settings are really interesting, making the $10 pledge a steal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dwarf74 posted:

Cortex Prime seems to have turned into quite a bargain, with 18 hours to go. The unlocked settings are really interesting, making the $10 pledge a steal.

goddamn you weren't lying. There's some genuinely neat concepts here. I'm kinda meh on the system itself but I'm seeing some ideas I bet my group would like regardless, totally worth ten bucks for a toolkit.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Cthuldu Dark is having a Kickstarter. I have to say I'm surprised, I like CD but always thought it was pretty well self-contained. I didn't expect to see it expanded out in a book. If you're unfamiliar it is a rules light ruleset for Lovecraftian horror stories who are probably going to die horribly or go insane. The whole system takes about 2 pages, and the book will be 200 to include settings and tips on writing mysteries etc. It's already funded,

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There's a reprint of Deep Space Nine D-6, plus an expansion! A single player game, this has got some good reviews, and seems like a fun little concept.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, Deep Space D-6 is a really fun game. Lots of replayability, and a good balance of die allocation and risk balancing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Impermanent posted:

lol the lovely rng screw in hand of fate and most roguelikes is so completely not suited to being an actual physical boardgame.

They should really take something from rogue-like racing/Zelda-randomizer racing. In those cases, the randomizers uses a seed so every racer has the exact same random spawns. It could even function as a catch-up mechanism, giving players that are behind more information about future purchases.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I see a lot of situations in which video game developers think it's easy to develop a board game/card game even though they don't know anything about recent development in the market. So you end up with them putting stuff that would be perfectly acceptable in a video game, like quite a bit of RNG and unpredictability, and predictably it ends up being a gently caress load of dice that are chosen as the resolution mechanism, usually with X+ to hit systems. Although fans of the videogame will usually still eat that stuff up.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Looks like X-Case isn't gonna make it, barring a miracle. Pity. I saw the cases at ReaperCon, and they seemed pretty good. They say they're going to try again, hopefully starting with a decent amount of momentum from the backers this time around.

I didn't really hear much about them anywhere, so that might be a big factor in their lack of success.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Anyone hear/have opinions about Card City XL? It's nearing it's final hours.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Agent Rush posted:

It looks like Machi Koro had an illicit affair with Cities: Skylines.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

I'm on the fence. We have tile laying games covered with Carcassonne and I'm not sure I need another. The draw and split function could be a killer for anyone who is AP..

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

bandaid.friend posted:

I'm looking at this game
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/hand-of-fate-ordeals
A cooperative deckbuilder with neat art, and done by an Australian. The only kickstarter-exclusive thing so far is cosmetic, which is nice

I'm on the fence about this. It looks.. market row deckbuilder-y? However.. a coop deckbuild that is good looks cool?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

High Plains Samurai started today. HPS is a western/kung-fu mashup that's probably going to suffer from Far West comparisons, except:

1) The game's already written, with the alpha version available for free.
2) It doesn't use the d20 system, and is instead more narrative.
3) Is only $5 US for the PDF, $9 if you want the PDF stretch goals too.

I haven't had a chance to really dig into the system, but the setting stuff I did read was well done, so it'll be interesting to see how this does. I really want these guys to get this out just to see GMS's reaction.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Evil Mastermind posted:

High Plains Samurai started today. HPS is a western/kung-fu mashup that's probably going to suffer from Far West comparisons, except:

1) The game's already written, with the alpha version available for free.
2) It doesn't use the d20 system, and is instead more narrative.
3) Is only $5 US for the PDF, $9 if you want the PDF stretch goals too.

I haven't had a chance to really dig into the system, but the setting stuff I did read was well done, so it'll be interesting to see how this does. I really want these guys to get this out just to see GMS's reaction.

There are just one too many keywords in the setting description for me.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Atlas Hugged posted:

There are just one too many keywords in the setting description for me.

I guess they felt they couldn't just come out and say 'It's basically Into the Badlands with a bit more Steampunk'.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meanwhile...

quote:

Do You Love Role-Playing Games?

How about getting a brand new stand-alone RPG every month for year in your inbox for only $1 a month. Its hard to believe, but we did it five years ago and we are going to try it again.

What You Get for Joining the Club

You’ll receive a new role-playing game PDF every month for a year with your pledge. This is the second volume of the RPG of the Month Club with 12 new role-playing games over the next year. It will be like Christmas every month when you receive a brand new RPG in you inbox every month.

RPG Of The Month Club Vol. 2 is a thing that's happening. Get twelve RPGs over a year for a buck a pop!

He's done this once before, releasing a bunch of 30-page barely-RPGs that were all just "roll a d20, beat a DC" with maybe a list of powers, or maybe a bunch of skills. Basically "games" that'd barely qualify as first drafts. Please do not ask how I know this.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

Meanwhile...

RPG Of The Month Club Vol. 2 is a thing that's happening. Get twelve RPGs over a year for a buck a pop!

He's done this once before, releasing a bunch of 30-page barely-RPGs that were all just "roll a d20, beat a DC" with maybe a list of powers, or maybe a bunch of skills. Basically "games" that'd barely qualify as first drafts. Please do not ask how I know this.

Shouldn't this be more of a Patreon thing?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Probably, but if his previous go-round is any indication, if he did a Patreon everyone would jump ship after his first game was released.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Meanwhile...

That's like getting a random pick from the Discount Bin of D20 Shame and Failure that used to be at every Gencon. They were basically trying to dump poo poo like SOLID!: The D20 Blaxploitation RPG by the pound.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Tekopo posted:

I see a lot of situations in which video game developers think it's easy to develop a board game/card game even though they don't know anything about recent development in the market. So you end up with them putting stuff that would be perfectly acceptable in a video game, like quite a bit of RNG and unpredictability, and predictably it ends up being a gently caress load of dice that are chosen as the resolution mechanism, usually with X+ to hit systems. Although fans of the videogame will usually still eat that stuff up.

Being able to reload saves, perform arithmetic in an instant, and focus on a single-player experience makes many decisions much more acceptable. Kickstarter video game FTL: Faster Than Light would be terrible if a game took more than 30 minutes, which would definitely happen for a board game. Reloading saves and having a GM covers up many flaws in game design. Being able to ignore the most bullshit cases of RNG makes the amount of luck seem more acceptable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Agent Rush posted:

It's Alban Viard. He does very, very good city building games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

Please do not ask how I know this.

I backed the last batch, because I really liked his little not-Starfleet Battles games. Those... yeah. Some cute concepts, but not great microgames.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Meanwhile...

Looks like there's a game called Darker Dungeons in Vol. 1. Did he not know that there was already a game called that, or did he not care?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Looks like there's a game called Darker Dungeons in Vol. 1. Did he not know that there was already a game called that, or did he not care?
I'm guessing both. The guy barely seems to be able to put a heartbreaker together.

e: I misread.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

There is absolutely nothing in this Kickstarter page to in any way recommend it, but man, I am charmed by the idea.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh dear. That's a friend's brother.

He actually does game design. Better than the game of the month material, but I'm not sure what the Hell I can say about Honk, Hiss, other than we get a fuckload of Canada geese in the city each year.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 31, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's me. I'm the problem. :smithicide:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
We'll step into hell together.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Actually I just stepped out of hell because apparently there's no way through the KS/pledge manager to just get the physical book, PDF of the book, and the deck of cards without all the other stuff. The reason is apparently because they want to support local stores, but given how my local stores are when it comes to RPG stuff I'm saving myself some cash.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

The CMON zombie game broke a million dollars already - are these games any good?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

EverettLO posted:

There is absolutely nothing in this Kickstarter page to in any way recommend it, but man, I am charmed by the idea.

this is 100% my jam

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

The CMON zombie game broke a million dollars already - are these games any good?

Not really

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

I haven't played any of them, but the standard caveat about the hype surrounding kickstarters featuring tons of minis is worth keeping in mind. Unless you're dying to play with orc zombies a year from now, $120 is a lot of money to put down (before any add-ons), especially when you could pick up something like Gloomhaven in a couple months for the same price. If you like the theme and or/minis though, the series seems to be pretty popular.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have to confess...my group and I kinda unironically love TORG and are all hype for this KS.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ropes4u posted:

Nope. Highly mediocre to slightly bad, but gets everybody excited because ZOMBIESL@JEJFJHDSV:N:SDF.

"Highly mediocre to slighty bad" describes most of CMoN's catalog honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I have to confess...my group and I kinda unironically love TORG and are all hype for this KS.
I honestly love Torg too; I wouldn't be reviewing it for so long in F&F if I didn't. But the pricing setup on the KS turned me off completely.

I may end up picking it up later, but I'm not paying ~$100 for just a book and the cards with no PDFs.