Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I watch every ATV and wait anxiously for star citizen to come out , but today while talking with friends a weird Idea struck my head. If the devs have created a tech which allows to create w whole planet and so on wouldnt the star engine be great for a medieval kind of game ( Like star citizen, where you can play a mercenary, bandit, pirate, traveler, pilgrim, monk, merchant, trader etc. but in a fantasy setting ).

I mean we could have a whole planet with continents , cities, villages, player housing, traveling on horses, fighting with swords and bows. I think it would be AWESOME as hell. And I know star citizen is being created because so many people geek out when they see a starship but it would be just amazing to travel through a enormous living breathing continent with its own economy and quests and activities and monsters to slay and princeses to save.

IMAGINE.

I hope someday after they finished star citizen someone will do something like this. It would blow my mind :D I would love to travel for hours on a horseback just to get somewhere where I havent been before !

This is a good post. Only because it inadvertently emphasizes that a single item of Star Citizen, not even its primary focus, is basically an entire game nobody has ever done all by itself.

But yes, SC is almost ready for release and will be everything.

PS: Incel talk is creepy. Making me feel like a target of horrible things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Morningwoodpecker posted:

If your partner has the right sort of sense of humor take her with you next time to maximize the comedy outrage.

Everyone should try this at least once. I used to go run one-shot D&D games at a local comic place on their Thursday Night Game Night events, so people who hadn't played before could get a taste and see if they liked it. Showing up with your girlfriend/wife and being dressed in normal people clothes instead of a 3xl videogame/comicbook tshirt and naruto headband always made a certain portion of the people there insanely mad for no reason and it was never not funny.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

DarkRefreshment posted:

You know when I wasn't caught up and I lurked more in this thread I saw all the food posts and thought "How the gently caress does that even happen"

Now I find myself balls deep in cheese.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sappo569 posted:

Which is what most of the whales are usually saying , they just forgot to include that it will probably be a horrible fmv movie game presented by Chris Roberts a Chris Roberts game from the mind that brought you Chris Roberts

If it's true to form, Crobbers will be forced out by a loose consortium of backers and it will be quietly finished.

HycoCam posted:

At this stage, I'm really hoping the release comes soon.

Report for deskeletonisation, stimizen. The Stimporer loves you.

The Titanic posted:

PS: Incel talk is creepy. Making me feel like a target of horrible things.

They're the whiny end of the MRAs. The 'Black Pills' will make you hate humanity forever, but that's at the Poes law end of thing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 31, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.twitch.tv/wtfosaurus

:gary: :yarg: :gary:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hav posted:

C? Like integer C? And Lua?

Same generation, although we didn't quite have the same 'you're worshipping the devil in secret' in the United Kingdom, and we managed to talk some girls into playing Call of Cthulhu, so it was _all good_. But I'll level with you, I brushed the MRA during a spell when I wasn't quite hitting on all cylinders, but a good dose of exercise and _getting the gently caress out of my own head_ worked wonders.

Some interesting things I've figured out and experienced:

- Nobody asks you to play because they assume you don't want to.
- Somebody thinks they are going to get laid.
- If you're there you've been forced to play.
- You are the girlfriend of somebody there doing them a favor.
- somebody thinks they are going to get laid.
- Unless you've been there many times your play experience will be censored.
- People who do play will make jokes about the guy who tries to play the game regardless of gender and goes after you without apologizing for an action.
- The above makes that one guy less likely to play the game as he should be, helping to censor your experience.
- Asked many times of you'll be back.
- forgot to add somebody thinks they are getting laid.
- Bring a girlfriend to bounce off of because it makes the experience 500 times more enjoyable.

This was 25 years ago though so probably the demographic experience is different now, but it was not the most gender welcoming community and there were many pre conceived notions you had to work through before people got somewhat cozy. But it never felt like an open arms welcome, sort of like being a cat in a store that normally only sells dogs. Sure you're kinda welcome but nobody is going to be totally comfortable and you'll always be making somebody feel awkward or feel like the jokes you want to be in on aren't explained or flowing.

But enjoy my perspective! :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

To be fair to the scam that is cloud imperium games

I fully believe they can and will release a game eventually , it's merely a question of how bad it is and how much longer they can continue to kick the development can down the road until they're forced to release something or Chris loses his swanky office

But its like putting 100 bens into a room with 100 copies of the entire beach body DVD set. Eventually at least 1 Ben will come out ready to walk onto the set of bay watch ...

Just through sheer force of amount of people involved and the supposed bank roll they have they simply can't NOT poo poo something out

Which is what most of the whales are usually saying , they just forgot to include that it will probably be a horrible fmv movie game presented by Chris Roberts a Chris Roberts game from the mind that brought you Chris Roberts

This is my opinion as well. I see you read my July missive from start to finish while taking detailed notes. :)

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Ahh the tradition Feast of the Stimporer. Good job, citizen, you may only have one testicle in the macerator tonight.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

The Titanic posted:

- People who do play will make jokes about the guy who tries to play the game regardless of gender and goes after you without apologizing for an action.
- The above makes that one guy less likely to play the game as he should be, helping to censor your experience.
- Bring a girlfriend to bounce off of because it makes the experience 500 times more enjoyable.

This was 25 years ago though so probably the demographic experience is different now, but it was not the most gender welcoming community and there were many pre conceived notions you had to work through before people got somewhat cozy. But it never felt like an open arms welcome, sort of like being a cat in a store that normally only sells dogs. Sure you're kinda welcome but nobody is going to be totally comfortable and you'll always be making somebody feel awkward or feel like the jokes you want to be in on aren't explained or flowing.

Pretty accurate description of mine and my friends time playing with ladies during Vampire: The Masquerade as well. Except people would get laid in character and that was just weird.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

DarkRefreshment posted:

Pretty accurate description of mine and my friends time playing with ladies during Vampire: The Masquerade as well. Except people would get laid in character and that was just weird.

Malkavian all the time, every time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Richie Stardust posted:

You have illuminated me. I grew up in East Houston, in Denver Harbor. My friends Jose, Josue, and Juan and I played pen and paper games in secret like we were gay Al Qaeda drug dealers. When we got a dialup connection we played MUDs. Fast forward, and I joined the Army, made some money, travelled the world, but every time I went into a gaming store in any city for Friday Night Magic or to check out rule books, or to try and meet cool guys with similar interests, I would one hundred percent of the time face hostility. Not like karate fight hostility, but more like a condescending demeanor with eye rolls and cold hard dickishness. It was like I was a loving cop showing up to a park dominos game. Those little fucks thought I was the reason that the world was unfair. Real talk, there were times when being left out affected my feels. But I didn't start a hate group over it so scrod.

To be fair it wasn't everyone I met. I made a lot of friends and played a lot of games, it was just every store had a sizeable population that hated me on sight.

Game stores are the original recluse for socially-inept nerds. I'm about as close as you can get to the prototypical gamer nerd (overweight, white, pale) and even I feel... weird going into most gaming stores. Maybe it's because I'm tall. Or because I brought my toddler in the last few times because she had to pee and I needed paint. Either way I'm convinced that the best gaming groups happen outside of stores, and involve beer and not giving a gently caress.

The Titanic posted:

So what you're saying is that there's a chance I'll get laid?

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
My favorite part about this whole thing is that every time one of the CIG staff tells Roberts "we can't do this, the technology doesn't exist" Roberts turns around and tells the citizens "we are doing this awesome new thing with brand-new technology that nobody has ever done before". For sure Chris, your game is totally just one magical development project away

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

My favorite part about this whole thing is that I occasionally remember they made a big deal out of the fact that they were gonna make branded joysticks for like six months and then we never heard anything about them after that, to the point that I often forget it was even a thing.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Game stores are the original recluse for socially-inept nerds. I'm about as close as you can get to the prototypical gamer nerd (overweight, white, pale) and even I feel... weird going into most gaming stores. Maybe it's because I'm tall. Or because I brought my toddler in the last few times because she had to pee and I needed paint. Either way I'm convinced that the best gaming groups happen outside of stores, and involve beer and not giving a gently caress.

sounds like your gaming community is garbage. there are 2 LGS's near me and both are great and homes away from home. the guys that are "those guys" get weeded out quickly. we had a guy that was not all there in the head and one time at a tourney he punched another guy in the stomache. hes banned from every store in the surrounding area as well now.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

My favorite part about this whole thing is that I occasionally remember they made a big deal out of the fact that they were gonna make branded joysticks for like six months and then we never heard anything about them after that, to the point that I often forget it was even a thing.

Until the prototype showed up on eBay , heralding the end of it ever showing up as a finished product

Maybe that's how the rest will go down , suddenly eBay will be alive with 'first draft script for sq42!' And 'The office chair Ben used for 3 months, with extra reinforced frame and padded roll bars'

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The Titanic posted:

This is my opinion as well. I see you read my July missive from start to finish while taking detailed notes. :)

No sorry I don't read any of the missives , I just pop in for the funny pictures , tweets and gifs

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

I don't follow it anymore because the lone dev seems to have gone Chris lite. Sit in development hell, throw out some irrelevant news or technical bullshit to kickstarter backers once or twice a year between mental breakdowns. Same kind of re-invent the wheel mentality half the time.

Hav posted:

C? Like integer C? And Lua?
I read that guy's posts a while back and they stank of poor design to me. He talks about running into a hard limit in his project due to a limit on how much he (or anyone) can comprehend. This is true to a point, but the purpose of modern programming languages is to prevent that overload by providing the means to abstract away the complexity. You create abstractions, test them, and just use those new concepts as fundamental ones without thinking about how they work inside - effectively shrinking the complexity of all tasks that use that abstraction. Layer upon layer of black box.

I work alone on projects of a similar scale so I know from experience how utterly critical it is to do this. I don't even know how every single part of my code works anymore offhand but it's okay because I don't need to.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I used to have access to the meeting minutes from the execs about that project. Apparently Chris and Sandi treated the company like poo poo and gave them no direction to go in because they could not commit to any design specs. So the Marketing SVP basically mothballed the entire thing until they got concrete direction in writing from them since they refused to answer the phone or emails that were sent.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Known good released game Overwatch is about to add a moon map with a low grav section that OBVIOUSLY came from Christo Roberto doing a tour of Blizz and throwing them a freebie idea cuz it sounds like what SC is trying to do with their nipple jets at the Stimpire Marine arena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3gN7v8Ehg&t=151s

"As you're approaching point A on this lunar map you'll notice that there are some airlock doors off to your right if you're an attacker. Now if you go out those airlock doors, don't worry. For whatever magical reason, you can still breathe out there and you won't instantly implode. But, we've enabled the low gravity on that section and we think we've stuck a really good middle ground here where it's a rare, kind of out of the way flanking route, but it will allow for some of those cool player story moments where the low gravity is enabled and you're out there on the surface of the Moon."

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

DapperDon posted:

I used to have access to the meeting minutes from the execs about that project. Apparently Chris and Sandi treated the company like poo poo and gave them no direction to go in because they could not commit to any design specs. So the Marketing SVP basically mothballed the entire thing until they got concrete direction in writing from them since they refused to answer the phone or emails that were sent.

That and the fact Mad Catz, a mostly poo poo product producing company, went out of business. It was around for like 28 years. Maybe CIG hopes to replicate this model.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/31/15141992/mad-catz-controllers-bankruptcy-sad-times-tribute

Nice tribute to a lot of their fails.

DarkRefreshment fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 31, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

teh_Broseph posted:

Known good released game Overwatch is about to add a moon map with a low grav section that OBVIOUSLY came from Christo Roberto doing a tour of Blizz and throwing them a freebie idea cuz it sounds like what SC is trying to do with their nipple jets at the Stimpire Marine arena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY3gN7v8Ehg&t=151s

"As you're approaching point A on this lunar map you'll notice that there are some airlock doors off to your right if you're an attacker. Now if you go out those airlock doors, don't worry. For whatever magical reason, you can still breathe out there and you won't instantly implode. But, we've enabled the low gravity on that section and we think we've stuck a really good middle ground here where it's a rare, kind of out of the way flanking route, but it will allow for some of those cool player story moments where the low gravity is enabled and you're out there on the surface of the Moon."

Urgggh these developers utilizing mechanics to make unique gameplay experience without spending 20k man hours modeling proper suits, helmets, damage states, and fully functioning breathing system into their game!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DapperDon posted:

It's posts like this that give more credence to the articles saying they're both horrible people to work with or for

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Here: Someone did create another glorious invention - which is as awesome as the technology pioneered by CIG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD7Lzv5fWhs

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Either way I'm convinced that the best gaming groups happen outside of stores, and involve beer and not giving a gently caress.

100% true.

Board game nights (including 40k) are a lot of fun.

Hell, me and the local dads actually got our wives to go party somewhere else and had an old school LAN party with our kids at one of our houses.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Goobs posted:

sounds like your gaming community is garbage. there are 2 LGS's near me and both are great and homes away from home. the guys that are "those guys" get weeded out quickly. we had a guy that was not all there in the head and one time at a tourney he punched another guy in the stomache. hes banned from every store in the surrounding area as well now.

This. My LGS/comic shop has an excellent community. They welcome all comers, and being near Seattle, WA we get occasional Wizards employees that show up to draft/take in the scene/ask questions.

The M:tG event they just did had one new guy (late 30's) show up that was kind of intense. Didn't ask but figured he had a military background, but he was welcomed. He kind of raised his voice when a kid (15 or 16) was trying to fast play him, but nobody really called him out because the dude was right, and the kid is known to be a disrespectful poo poo at times.

The most unwelcome I've felt at a LGS was at a WotC store at a mall, strangely enough. But that was a long time ago.

What does this all have to do with SC? I don't know, but I hear SC is bad.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Cloud Imperium Games is run by feckless leadership accountable to no one, creating a toolkit for authoritarianism while hypnotized by science-fiction fantasy.
:goonsay:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Five years after, we have reached "peak transparency":

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/1-81-million-backers-and-growing

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

He's finally starting to get it. Good for him lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Funny how even actual backers don't know that the number is bullshit.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Funny how even actual backers don't know that the number is bullshit.

Funny how they don't know that even though the actual developer of the tracker has said that it's not tracking backers.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Chev posted:

3d decals were already in Alien Isolation, published in 2014, before the SC guys explained their similar use of it in 2015 at GDC. Don't mistake a technique they merely advertised their use of with one they invented.

What are these 3d decals? Can you show an example of one? I just finished playing Isolation a few days ago and I'm not sure what this means or is referring to.

http://i.imgur.com/i0j8ERP.gifv

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hobold posted:

What are these 3d decals? Can you show an example of one? I just finished playing Isolation a few days ago and I'm not sure what this means or is referring to.

http://i.imgur.com/i0j8ERP.gifv

That little bastard moves faster than Lesnick at the sundae bar.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:kimchi:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Look at his wittle floppy ears.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

That little bastard moves faster than Lesnick at the sundae bar.

Tss. Ben could inhale a herd of that in his sleep.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently that chance goes up if you do Vampire games!

Though I did like Hero Quest and other painfully drab D&D stuff that was more or less going through some dungeon without a whole lot of the RP stuff happening.

I forgot to add to my list that there is going to most likely be a creepy white knight guy. This guy has a high chance of being one of the guys thinking he's going to get laid.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lechtansi posted:

My favorite part about this whole thing is that every time one of the CIG staff tells Roberts "we can't do this, the technology doesn't exist" Roberts turns around and tells the citizens "we are doing this awesome new thing with brand-new technology that nobody has ever done before". For sure Chris, your game is totally just one magical development project away

The biggest magic trick is that he thinks with enough clouds, his barely glued together twitch based arena shooter that already has huge issues, is going to turn into a twitch MMO.

I hope the Citizens are asking for the details on that because that's the silent elephant in the room everybody seems to be ignoring. It's pretty much the literal writing on the wall for Star Citizen never happening right in front of everybody.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hobold posted:

You know what decals are? Like sprays in FPS games. They were first created to be used for sprays, bloodstains or bullet holes but they're more generally handy because they basically allow you to slap a texture on a mesh without needing texture coordinates or specific geometry for it. The so-called "3d decals" are just taking that idea and extending it not just to color, but normal map and material properties. This helps with representing small scale details like rivets without wasting polygons.

Take this computer from Alien Isolation:

The screws all over it are such decals. You can see in the wireframe they're just flat polygons laid over the computer mesh without being connected to it, each rotated a bit differently to make them look less uniform. Same for several other indentations. Yet in-game they'll be correcty lit and look as if they were part of the computer.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I didn't want to say anything but I will because it's relevant to Star Citizen.

I actually went to one of those Vampire games and it was a bunch of guys in a dark room with sheets covering the windows and a fat girl who was not me and I didn't know who she really was. Apparently the leader though was the really thin and pasty colored guy.

I was invited and went over and they pretty much actually role played their characters and at one point it was time for the leader to imbue one of his coven and the fat girl whipped out her junk after being told and then they went into the bedroom to apparently gently caress.

The otter guys and I sat outside looking and feeling a bit awkward. At least I was. The leader Guy was trying to apparently role play me into being some kind of slave and it got creepy but I didn't leave until it was over but it was super creepy and probably something that could be one of the 60 Minute exposes sometime because that poo poo does happen and that guy talking about some Vampire games creeping into real life was true. Believe it or not!

And then Star Citizen probably hosed something up and I bet it ruined the moment so yeah.