Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TheChirurgeon posted:

I'll take that bet, since the visuals line up with the idea that they're just taking old dreadnought sarcophoguseses and putting them into bigger chasiseses

Remember, it's literally called the "Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought", so it really seems like they're leaning towards this thing being for bigmarines. At most, they might remain agnostic about who you can stick inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

i like the possibility of the fluff saying that dying smol marines can go inside, but only if they are embiggened first. This will provide GW ample opportunity to insert some additional grim-dark by saying the marines go through painful operations much like their original transformation, but in death.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
they take the small boy marine and insert him into the chest cavity of a bigmar, then they stuff it turducken like into the dreadnaught

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I haven't really been paying too close attention, but I keep hearing GW is good again. What happened?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Gw put some little dudes into big dudes like a matryoshka doll and now people think they're cool again. Size matters to GW fans.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Wait until they release the bigly Rhinos and Predators that are the same size as Landraiders

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

NTRabbit posted:

Wait until they release the bigly Rhinos and Predators that are the same size as Landraiders

They already showed one. It's a landraider with a turret.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

They already showed one. It's a landraider with a turret.

If you mean these guys, they are unrelated (GW just reused the name "Primaris" because why wouldn't they):

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Avenging Dentist posted:

If you mean these guys, they are unrelated (GW just reused the name "Primaris" because why wouldn't they):

Naw, I mean this thing.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naw, I mean this thing.

A large action man infront of a tonka toy? :v:

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Irate Tree posted:

A large action man infront of a tonka toy? :v:

Well if that's your jam then mums the word on this hot 8th ed LoW daemon engine leak I got for you-

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It looks like he's crazy for smashing chickens and cows flat but also wanted to cover his bases by installing handle bars on his head, so people could use him as a get away car in the inevitable farm yard revolt.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Naw, I mean this thing.

Now wait until they release the bigly Landraider the same size as a Mastodon!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

anti_strunt posted:

I'm not sure what to think about it - I like the design, but the sheer scale creep is giving me pause.

You weren't paused at the scale creep of the Dreadknight? Or the Riptide? Or the Wraithknight? Game's been too drat large for a good while now.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

kingcom posted:

Unironically looking forward to the FFG sci-fi wargame using some custom dice to break the entire rolling mechanic down to 1 roll from each player and still keeping the complexity of different units being good/bad against different things.

Infinity does this, instead of combining armor save into the wounding roll like Warmachine it combines the wounding roll into the armor save, or in other wounds every hit automatically wounds and a model's ability to resist damage is completely relegated to the armor roll. You then have like a billion things that can modify these 2 rolls to make various weapons behave differently against an array of targets at given ranges. It makes Infinity games really confusing to follow at first but once you get into it it's a quick and brutal game where both players always feel involved. I like it.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

AgentF posted:

You weren't paused at the scale creep of the Dreadknight? Or the Riptide? Or the Wraithknight? Game's been too drat large for a good while now.

Those were at least new models now obviously replacing anything. The prime dread is pretty much declaring the slow choking of old marines. They're slowly going to replace everything one at a time. There will be like chaos infused hell brutes to replace tiny ones for example.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

To be honest I don't see the point, from a business perspective, of increasing the scale of standard models. 40K is a space draining hobby as it is, and making everything bigger would either require even larger gaming spaces (forcing some out of the hobby) or make people downsize their average battles.

Back in the 90s/00s I could buy that scale creep was close to necessary to make more detailed models, but that really can't be the case today.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Well if that's your jam then mums the word on this hot 8th ed LoW daemon engine leak I got for you-

I'd buy that for a dollar!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

anti_strunt posted:

To be honest I don't see the point, from a business perspective, of increasing the scale of standard models. 40K is a space draining hobby as it is, and making everything bigger would either require even larger gaming spaces (forcing some out of the hobby) or make people downsize their average battles.

Back in the 90s/00s I could buy that scale creep was close to necessary to make more detailed models, but that really can't be the case today.

"You're seriously going to try to call those tiny Mantic Enforcers 'Primaris Marines?'"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

AgentF posted:

I really liked the models for some of the new Eldar stuff (like the Wraithknight and the flyers) but lord they are all so huge there is no way I could reasonably transport them. I don't really understand how any of this stuff fits on the table anymore.

I have more or less the same problem with Warmachine now, the Colossals look cool but are just so big to actually lug around.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I do kind of like the design of the bigmarines, since they work as 'true scale' miniatures. If only they were able to fit onto 28mm bases, I might even buy a squad or two to use as Enforcers in Deadzone.

But alas, it seems it is not to be.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm starting to see complaints in the FB community wargaming groups I'm part of saying that instead of accepting the new points systems as they are, they would rather increase the points systems for games so they get to keep bringing all the apocalypse bullshit into their platoon-level wargame. :allears:

Meanwhile, the infinity groups I'm part of constantly try to bring normal infantry instead of the larger robot mechs so they can keep it in an acceptably small lunchbox to bring to work for weekday miniatures games.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Didn't they already make that except with metal spider legs?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bad Moon posted:

They did but people keep wanting to paint it in gaudy grimdark colors instead of that sweet 90s look.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

They also made exactly that:

anti_strunt posted:

40K is a space draining hobby as it is, and making everything bigger would ... make people downsize their average battles.

This is a good thing though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah 40k is clearly a bunch of skirmish size models crammed into way-too-big armies.

Also I legitimately like the bigmars the more I look at them. If they just flat-out replaced regular marines that'd be fine. They were comically squat, smaller than cadians even. I would totally play a good skirmish game with like 10-20 line bigmars, a leader, 5-10 support bigmars, and one vehicle. Even the newer vehicles look better if you still like the goofy imperial grimdark designs. They're way better than poo poo like the box flyers or any of the recent big age of sigmar or end times things.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah 40k is clearly a bunch of skirmish size models crammed into way-too-big armies.

Also I legitimately like the bigmars the more I look at them. If they just flat-out replaced regular marines that'd be fine. They were comically squat, smaller than cadians even. I would totally play a good skirmish game with like 10-20 line bigmars, a leader, 5-10 support bigmars, and one vehicle. Even the newer vehicles look better if you still like the goofy imperial grimdark designs. They're way better than poo poo like the box flyers or any of the recent big age of sigmar or end times things.

Let me tell you about Warpath Firefight...

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Yvonmukluk posted:

Let me tell you about Warpath Firefight...

Look man I have the rulebook already I'll check it out further when they relase the not!Tyranids army okay?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't get why people are upset about the size of the new stuff for tsbling. They're jewel like objects of wonder, you don't have to play games with them. Put them in your glass display case and leave them

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

ilmucche posted:

Put them in your butt and leave them.

The extra size enhances the experience.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Naw, I mean this thing.

That's a sweet looking conversion back there.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

That's a sweet looking conversion back there.
Oh, you. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Soulfucker posted:

Look man I have the rulebook already I'll check it out further when they relase the not!Tyranids army okay?

You could technically do a not!Genestealer Cult with Plague already, you know...

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Now that everything is basically leaked its fun to watch the "everything is fine" blinders go on. Its not the game everyone thought it would be clearly an of course the books have errors already.

Thing is there was nothing really stopping them from releasing full codexes on release. Just starter books then make everyone shell out for "real" codexes later, love it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I bought a board and I'm making a Deadzone board :)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

I bought a board and I'm making a Deadzone board :)

Anxiously awaits board to come out looking like a big ol' cake :D

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Indolent Bastard posted:

Anxiously awaits board to come out looking like a big ol' cake :D

One giant brownie to rule them all.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

For_Great_Justice posted:

Now that everything is basically leaked its fun to watch the "everything is fine" blinders go on. Its not the game everyone thought it would be clearly an of course the books have errors already.

Thing is there was nothing really stopping them from releasing full codexes on release. Just starter books then make everyone shell out for "real" codexes later, love it.

:qq:

I can't hear you over the sound of people being mad over some get you by rules.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think get you by rules are great, I just think they should be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, I think its weird to charge people for interim rules and then again for the real ones - either have the real ones available to buy immediately/soon, or let the interim ones be free until that happens. I mean, that's even what they have done in the past so its not even asking them to make some leap or change direction, whenever they changed the basic mechanics they usually provided at least some sort of minimal ruleset for people to use.

• Locked thread