Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BGrifter posted:

So I fired this up after a couple year break and I'm pretty lost. Sitting on 47 Mythril after cleaning out my box and wondering whether to keep going or restart given how outdated all my stuff is. (So many 11 pulls without a relic from before they made it guaranteed :cry: )

My relics:
Diamond Pin
Hunter's Rod
Golden Spear
Blood Lance
Murasame
Cobalt Katzbalger
Zantetsuken
Danjuro
6* Rune Axe+

Noble's Armguards
Sanctum Gloves
2x Gold Bangle
2x Regal Gown

I'm at 115 stamina and have roughly 35 characters between 50-65, nothing above as that was the cap when I quit.

On the upside I'm sure there's a TON of new content to get first clear Mythril from now.

Keep going. Synergy is still valuable, even if the soul breaks are outdated.

Just start by hitting all the 25-mythril lucky draws that are active right now. That should give you a decent item base to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

gently caress all these recent apoc fights. These aren't fun and the rewards are not worth the frustration.

I usually feel this way about grindy fights like these but the last few events I've had a good time re-tooling my team over and over to find something that works. Its something I can do in between dailies while waiting for stamina to come up, and I can commit one attempt or multiple if I feel like it, and take my time on them.

For this one, I made my first attempts at it on Monday, completed but didn't master, and didn't look at it again until tonight where I retooled a couple of times and ended up mastering it. The teams I finished it with are drastically different.

The worst was the Aeons fight, that was extremely frustrating and took me like 4 days of attempts but it was always during down times where I'm not doing anything anyway.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So far I've only disliked the Aeons fight. I'll honestly be a bit sad once they tone down the Apoc+ fights though, as I enjoyed Asura+Leviathan and Ironclad a lot. Feels nice having to really plan out my builds again. I feel like the game needs more hard content like this, even if it means that the upper end of content isn't something that everyone can finish comfortably. You need to have challenging stuff for the higher end players too. :shrug:

Meanwhile, lucky draws. The Black one was underwhelming enough that I ragepulled on White as well. First USB, so I guess that is good enough. I'm sure I can find use for an instant cast medica + last stand. Wish I'd get some new bursts though. So far my only BSB from these lucky draws has been a dupe Ogre. :argh:

Attestant fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 1, 2017

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Spikey posted:

Black: Matoya SSB
Me too!

My White Mage draw was a bit better though

1st AD posted:

Always Be Pulling.
:yeah:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Almost didn't pull on the black magic banner, but I'm glad I did.

2/11, Matoya's BSB and Ashe's BSB, hell yeah. The only lightning magic BSBs I had before were Garnet's and Marach's, so combined with this I think I'll be wrecking anything that has a lightning weakness. Being able to stick a + magic weapon and armor with mage stats on someone is gonna be nice as hell, too.

I don't know how powerful Matoya's BSB is (guessing not very potent since it's potentially a 10x hit) but it's gonna be awesome for hitting medal conditions without fiddling around in menus for 5 minutes.

Probably not pulling on the white magic lucky, even though I'm tempted, just because I have pretty much the 3 best healing BSBs in the game already, and at least one medica option in most realms now. I'm down to just 60 mythril and I know I'm pulling on the imperil lucky, so the rest probably needs to go towards Extreme Fest.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Attestant posted:

Keep going. Synergy is still valuable, even if the soul breaks are outdated.

Just start by hitting all the 25-mythril lucky draws that are active right now. That should give you a decent item base to work with.

Ok so I should hit all the low level stuff I haven't done to scoop up the free Mythril, do the 25-mythril first draws on all the machines available and figure it out from there? At a glance there has to be well over a hundred Classic Dungeons I haven't touched never mind their Elite Counterparts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Attestant posted:

So far I've only disliked the Aeons fight. I'll honestly be a bit sad once they tone down the Apoc+ fights though, as I enjoyed Asura+Leviathan and Ironclad a lot. Feels nice having to really plan out my builds again. I feel like the game needs more hard content like this, even if it means that the upper end of content isn't something that everyone can finish comfortably. You need to have challenging stuff for the higher end players too. :shrug:

I wish they'd just do more poo poo like the Nemesis event, where it's really hard content with bragging rights as a reward. Or hell, give people something that they can show off with in multiplayer, like an exclusive stamp or a cool-looking accessory (Proof of Omega or something, I dunno).

The hard stuff can be fun, but (using this event for an example) it would be a pretty lovely feeling to lose out on 3 crystals because you don't have the right set of tools for this one specific fight. Losing a couple major orbs on a CM that I just can't do is one thing, because that's a nice bonus, but losing out on them isn't really a big deal even for a relatively new player. Losing multiple crystals is pretty brutal. I'm all for super challenging end-game content, but I think it needs to feel like an optional thing instead of a fairly substantial setback if you can't hang.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I couldn't resist pulling on WM after all. I'm weak.

BM 2/11 Edea Ice Strike SSB and Papalymo Ley Lines SSB.

That Papa SSB seems grrrreat. Edea's not so much.

WM 2/11 Vanille USB and Kuja BSB

Vanille's probably not strong enough to use without other breaks of hers. Kuja's BSB sounds good. Shame that it's dark, the only element I already have great coverage for.

So in total 6 luckies for 150 mythril. Three great items with Ramza USB, Papa gloves and Kuja BSB. Unfortunately just that one BSB overall.

Also got possibly the worst item in available pools with Farna Coat so that's something.

Maybe a bit below average luck but I'll take it.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Ok so I should hit all the low level stuff I haven't done to scoop up the free Mythril, do the 25-mythril first draws on all the machines available and figure it out from there? At a glance there has to be well over a hundred Classic Dungeons I haven't touched never mind their Elite Counterparts.

My alt was at 127 stam the other day and I totaled up the remaining classic and elites still left to do and it was over 350 so yeah you're probably fine for a while. Half stamina dungeons are coming soonish too.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have not pulled on the luckies.

instead, i hit about 65 mythril and pulled on ff8 banner 1 for a shot at squall's gamebreaker

i got FOUR RAINBOW ORBS!!!! super excited

one gun for laguna, one cloak for edea, two armor pads for rajin.

15 mythril and cloud's USB is coming up

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I wish they'd just do more poo poo like the Nemesis event, where it's really hard content with bragging rights as a reward. Or hell, give people something that they can show off with in multiplayer, like an exclusive stamp or a cool-looking accessory (Proof of Omega or something, I dunno).

"Proof of Omega or kick" sounds exactly like what multiplayer needs to make it more enjoyable for public party hunting.

Was there really no substantial reward for beating Nemesis?

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I pulled on Black and White Magic.

I got Shantotto's BSB, Ashe's Stoneblade and Echo's SSB for Black, a Vanille BSB Dupe and a Dupe Lenna SSB.

Sooo... okay stuff?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

BGrifter posted:

Yup, that sounds like a good start. Building up stamina will also improve quality of life, so core dungeons are a good place to start in. Do scoop up early mythril from the easy event dungeon stuff, though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Oh my god I love the Vault. Just shoved a bunch of 3*s in there and I HAVE INVENTORY SPACE.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

"Proof of Omega or kick" sounds exactly like what multiplayer needs to make it more enjoyable for public party hunting.

I think there was an accessory that raised a stat a substantial amount, but you didn't need to beat the hardest difficulty for it.

Are Yuna's Garb BSB and Penelo's BSB good?

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost

BGrifter posted:

Oh my god I love the Vault. Just shoved a bunch of 3*s in there and I HAVE INVENTORY SPACE.

don't save 3*s

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The final difficulty only gave gil, and not that much of it.

edit: And your team got posted on the official site, but that's totally just a bragging rights thing, which I don't think is a bad idea.

You are probably right about pubbies kicking people, though for the most part I haven't noticed too much of that behavior unless it's a super gimmicky fight that punishes certain things really harshly, and in those cases I honestly don't have a lot of sympathy for people that can't be assed to read the basic fight mechanics.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Decided to say gently caress it and pull on banner 1 even though I got burned on banner 2 becuase 8 has a soft spot in my heart.

3/11

Selphie USB (my first)
Squall BSB2
Irvine SSB hyperbreak

Pretty happy about this.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Only had enough to pull on one of the new luckies and I'm good on healing relics so Black Mage it was!

2/11: Vayne BSB & Tyro OSB

Vayne BSB is decent although it's the earliest prototype of hybrid BSBs and you only get 1 real command with it based on how you're using Vayne. But hey, a character I can fit in multiple party setups is cool plus the glove is a great statstick with +Dark.

Tyro OSB is pretty :lol: though. Another 10 ATK for Tyro is never a bad thing though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I don't get kicked by pubbies, I kick pubbies. :colbert:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The hard stuff can be fun, but (using this event for an example) it would be a pretty lovely feeling to lose out on 3 crystals because you don't have the right set of tools for this one specific fight. Losing a couple major orbs on a CM that I just can't do is one thing, because that's a nice bonus, but losing out on them isn't really a big deal even for a relatively new player. Losing multiple crystals is pretty brutal. I'm all for super challenging end-game content, but I think it needs to feel like an optional thing instead of a fairly substantial setback if you can't hang.

I can definitely see your point of view, but I don't really agree with it. I feel like hard content should be rewarding beyond just bragging rights (or 40x Adamantite or some poo poo.) If I spend an hour or two trying different setups and S/Ling the fight over and over, I'd really want to get more than just a warm fuzzy feeling.

Stuff like extra mythril is definitely out, that should be easy to get from early content mostly. 3* and 4* motes also feel too integral for character development moving forwards, so those shouldn't be locked behind hard content. Rosetta Stones are ok, but ultimately a pretty small reward. I'd argue that 6* crystals are the perfect reward, since 6* skills are mostly a luxury. But I could also go for tons of 5* orbs. They're already grindable in infinity, and 5* skills are good but not the be-all-end-all anymore. So you could probably reward like 10-30 Major Orbs at a time for 220+ content no problem, and allow high end players have crazy things like 5* Quick Hits or whatever.

Basically as long as you're not hurting the progression of newer players, I'd be super ok with giving out meaningful rewards for high end content, even if all players are not able to complete it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rinoa SSB! WHHHHHHHHY

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think there was an accessory that raised a stat a substantial amount, but you didn't need to beat the hardest difficulty for it.

Are Yuna's Garb BSB and Penelo's BSB good?

Tenets of the Fayth? It's really good.

Penelo's is ok as a medica and possibly great if you need WM nightmares still.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My Yuna with Tenets of the Fayth was the only healer in our Apoc MP group a couple days ago, and we mastered it. It's good.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Pulled only on the White Mage banner.

4/11: Mage's Staff (Ovelia BSB), Light Robe (Sarah BSB), Wizard Staff (Aerith Reraise/Medica SSB), and somehow a freaking Lightbringer (Beatrix BSB)! None are dupes, I ended up with my first native medicas in I, VII, and FFT, and I got a Holy imperil that I'd consider an improvement over Leo's SSB. I was waffling on this pull, but it ended up being totally worth it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Looking over my abilities was far less depressing than my Relics at least. I have all the good 3* stuff honed to rank 4-5 and some of the important 4* stuff like Power and Magic Breakdown at ranks 3/5, Protectga and Shellga unlocked, etc.

I see I can shatter all the low level stuff I no longer need and upgrade those Orbs to higher tiers. I currently have about 300-500 of every 3* Orb, roughly 50 of each 4* Orb and about 1-6 of the 5* stuff. Should I upgrade aggressively to put together 5* Full Break then focus on getting my 4* Breakdowns and Elemental attacks ranked up?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Full break is super good and absolutely worth getting, then honing to R2. Power and Magic Breakdown at R3 is high enough. Anything higher than that is just a luxury for spamming during dungeon stages. If you haven't already, I would be sure to make Armor and Mental Breakdown. You could also create the dances instead if you have a really good something or other for a dancer, but the support abilities are more versatile for characters who can use them.

Just be aware of the cost of upgrading orbs. It gets really expensive really quickly, but nothing a Fest can't help you handle.

For everything else, just make it and hone it as needed. No need to make a R3 Chain Thundaga if you have nothing weak to it coming up and no one with extra lightning damage relics, for example.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Ouch, you weren't kidding. There goes 700k but I have 1/5 Full Break. :woop: Fortunately I had 2mil gold kicking around from before I quit.

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009
Black Mage: Serah BSB (dupe), Shantotto SSB1
White Mage: Penelo SSB (dupe)

An actual weapon for FFXI is nice, otherwise pretty much a waste. Oh well.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Black: Edea's beyond dogshit SSB1 (dupe)

White: Beatrix BSB, Arc BSB, Ovelia SSB1

I didn't have any physical damage IX BSBs so this is good

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I got a 5x pull on White Lucky, with 2 disco balls no less; finally, I'm going to get an endgame healing SB

...2x Keeper's Frock Coat, 2x Aeris's Wizard Rod, and 1x Eiko's Fairy Flute.

what the hell is this

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Black: Dupe Rinoa OSB, Golbez SSB2.

Ragepulled White: Beatrix OSB

You know what, I'm okay with just getting Beatrix's OSB. I already have her BSB after all and it's amazing to have a sword with a half-way decent MND boost.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

V torments were rough. The AoE team got the win eventually.

The AoE team consists of Lightning BSB2 CMD2 and Agrias BSB entry. Everything else was single target.

I don't want to hear any Lightning BSB2 dissing here, that SB does some heavy work.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The AoE team consists of Lightning BSB2 CMD2 and Agrias BSB entry. Everything else was single target.

I don't want to hear any Lightning BSB2 dissing here, that SB does some heavy work.

Lightning BSB2 is good.

It's her first BSB that is trash garbage. It's like Fenrir Overdrive but somehow worse.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

No regrets.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Oooh that sweet, sweet login mythril begins today. :getin:

I skipped the White Magic lucky because I have a full 1/3rd of all of the possible items from it, but opted to pull on Black Magic.

I got Marach's Headband SSB, which I feel is questionably useful at best(?) and Terra's OSB, which is great because I already have her EnFire SSB.

How many more Lucky Draws, including the Dungeon Update, do we have remaining before Extreme Fest?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

It was my primary damage source for this current apoc+. I love it. I have her enLightning armor too and it's cool as heck.

Edit to avoid double posting: when is global getting Legend dives? I'm max diving my A team in preparation for those.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 1, 2017

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Uncle Ulty posted:

How many more Lucky Draws, including the Dungeon Update, do we have remaining before Extreme Fest?

4. Dungeon Update, then the three pre-fest Luckies (assuming it stays the same as Japan: Imperil, Curaga, BSB+).Then a one-time single pull with guaranteed OSB.

There might be one more dungeon update lucky during the Fest itself depending on when it starts? Extreme Fest should be end of June.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Edit to avoid double posting: when is global getting Legend dives? I'm max diving my A team in preparation for those.

At the latest, the start of the FFVI event, so June 22nd. It could happen a bit earlier depending on Glibal's Extreme Fest plans, but we'll probably know for sure with the next datamine which should be coming soon.

It arrived in Japan a bit before Extreme Fest started since the events linked to it like Zenith of Crisis were the first source of 5* motes needed for Legend Dives.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BGrifter posted:

Looking over my abilities was far less depressing than my Relics at least. I have all the good 3* stuff honed to rank 4-5 and some of the important 4* stuff like Power and Magic Breakdown at ranks 3/5, Protectga and Shellga unlocked, etc.

I see I can shatter all the low level stuff I no longer need and upgrade those Orbs to higher tiers. I currently have about 300-500 of every 3* Orb, roughly 50 of each 4* Orb and about 1-6 of the 5* stuff. Should I upgrade aggressively to put together 5* Full Break then focus on getting my 4* Breakdowns and Elemental attacks ranked up?

When I was in your position I used this guide to help prioritize my spending. It's pretty useful.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

BLM lucky: Rydia OSB, Vivi OSB, Fusoya SSB

I'm good with that. I had two of Rydia's oldest SBs (Ice whip and dragon whisker), so having something that makes her truly worth bringing along is nice.
I have Vivi's enfire BSB, so yay.
Fusoya's is...interesting I guess? I can bring a hell of a mage team to FFIV now, with Rydia's OSB, two Asura rods, and two whips.

WHM lucky: I just need a single goddamn healer BSB. Just one. Please. Any of them.

Beatrix SSB shield.

:what:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Fister Roboto posted:

When I was in your position I used this guide to help prioritize my spending. It's pretty useful.

I found that one last night and it's awesome. Definitely a huge help.

Where do the Memory Crystal II and IIIs come from? Is it strictly events? I have Cloud, Tidus and Wakka sitting at 65/65 with Garnet, Vivi and both Cecils at 62-64.

Also in terms of unlocking Record Materia, I vaguely recall just playing with a character a lot and hoping to get lucky. Is there any trick now to unlocking Record Materia? I see a lot of guides recommending I unlock the Tyro and Cloud ones for +1 Soul Break at the start.

• Locked thread