Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
She's probably fine.

Glasses kid should totally date shark tooth girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

If this show really wants us to treat its setting as the "real world" then Doughnut Steel should die in the explosion and none of her whiny backstory should end up mattering.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

If this show really wants us to treat its setting as the "real world" then Doughnut Steel should die in the explosion and none of her whiny backstory should end up mattering.

Just finished ep 6 and I've realized that this show really needs some mcguffins for it's characters to chase. It's cliche' I admit but having the main villain need to collect the 6 legendary dildos of ultimate destruction before she could blow up the universe would provide the short-term goals and points of conflict that this series desperately needs. Right now both sides are just sort of killing time and talking about the plot and even when fights do happen it feels kind of forced since nothing is really at stake.

Also I desperately want them to bring in one non-superpowered character just for shits and giggles. Maybe someone like Ataru Moroboshi who literally has no redeeming features and would definitely be pissed that he was created by God as a powerless idiot. We've had characters mad at the world for things that have happened to them, but so far no one is mad about being who they are and I think that would be interesting to explore.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

paragon1 posted:

She's probably fine.

Glasses kid should totally date shark tooth girl.

You're only saying this because he'd get gruesomely murdered halfway through the second date, aren't you?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Darth Walrus posted:

You're only saying this because he'd get gruesomely murdered halfway through the second date, aren't you?

When you put it that way now I want him to date her too

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Darth Walrus posted:

I think I've seen that movie.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Actually he'd be fine because her magic only works if you talk.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sindai posted:

:drat:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm minding Sota a lot less now that they've made what his relation to Altair's creator is. When characters can help resolve things by just loving talking it's extremely annoying when they don't - at least give a reason for it! And now they have, but it came a bit late. It's a pretty ok show overall, but boy is it bad at managing audience engagement.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sindai posted:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I just caught up on this one, and I don't mind all the talking, maybe cause I am not waiting between weeks for the episodes before this current one.

Speaking of, this episode, this is probably the turning point where all the talking dies down, as things would of escalated quickly even if Altair is not dead, some one died, and by the looks at it, she took out the entire loving block with her The talking and eating club will surely not be the same anymore because of the after effects if nothing else.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
yeah I'm getting the feeling that this is a show best binged rather than watched week to week. I just splurged through the first 8 episodes in a go and the pacing thing, although noticeable, didn't come of as being that big of a deal.

though I don't know I like talky shows so maybe my brain is just broken too, who knows

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually I think these crazy kids have what it takes to really go the distance and the show will become a doki doki love comedy.

Sindai posted:

This goon gets what I'm talking about.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll just come out and say it; this show is way to self-serious for something as inherently wacky as "anime/video game characters invade the real world." Cliche as it is, there been almost no strangers in a strange land moments, most everyone adapted to modern Japanese society quickly and easily, and eight episodes in there have only been three real, brief fights. It's all po-faced speeches about reality breaking down and "no, I hate this rotten world, DAD!"

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mordja posted:

I'll just come out and say it; this show is way to self-serious for something as inherently wacky as "anime/video game characters invade the real world." Cliche as it is, there been almost no strangers in a strange land moments, most everyone adapted to modern Japanese society quickly and easily, and eight episodes in there have only been three real, brief fights. It's all po-faced speeches about reality breaking down and "no, I hate this rotten world, DAD!"

I think it's going for more of a Madoka vibe than inherently wacky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

There is a sense of humour in the show, but it's drier and more subtle than is common in this kind of anime. Consider things like Selesia's window-opening method, Meteora's exposition being played over games of gay chicken, and Matsubara asking Yuuya to spare his author's head and writing hand when he beat him into a pulp.

Hell, the very existence of Magane is a sure sign the staff aren't taking the show too seriously.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mordja posted:

A lot of the characters have said "this is like my world's Japan, but slightly different", and others from more fantastical settings have shown how they've adapted to their situation. And the characters are all heroes/villains anyways, where their characterization is way more important than them freaking out about being in a new world (i.e. they were all written with a strong enough constitution to deal with situations like this). Overall I prefer the nuanced things such as

Darth Walrus posted:

Consider things like Selesia's window-opening method, Meteora's exposition being played over games of gay chicken, and Matsubara asking Yuuya to spare his author's head and writing hand when he beat him into a pulp.

over the samey "whuuuu what's thaaat" cliches.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I just want Rui to get in the loving robot. That thing pretty much bests everything else and the drat pilot had to be written like a bad cross of Shinji and the worst Gundan pilots.

This show is great, this season has been great. I just binged to 8 though so I think that helps the pacing way more than week to week watching.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 29, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Hell, the very existence of Magane is a sure sign the staff aren't taking the show too seriously.

I don't know, Magane has her cutesy wacky kooky speech patterns/behavior but she's not really played as not serious. She's a psychotic murderer who has horribly killed two people on screen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The point of her wackiness is to keep the audience on their toes around her. You're always waiting for the moment where she suddenly kills whoever she's talking to.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't know, Magane has her cutesy wacky kooky speech patterns/behavior but she's not really played as not serious. She's a psychotic murderer who has horribly killed two people on screen.

This is a Rei Hiroe script. Watch Black Lagoon, especially the Greenback Jane arc, and you'll see that that is no obstacle to being the comic relief.

Magane is dangerous, certainly, but she's used to poke fun at the rest of the cast (see also, simply walking off when Meteora opened her mouth), and the camera and animation get a whole lot sillier when she's on-screen - apart from her wild, cartoony expressions and body language, don't forget that she was introduced with a cheerful rear end shot. She's a monster, but one whose presence tends to play up the campy, self-aware side of the show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

This is a Rei Hiroe script. Watch Black Lagoon, especially the Greenback Jane arc, and you'll see that that is no obstacle to being the comic relief.

Magane is dangerous, certainly, but she's used to poke fun at the rest of the cast (see also, simply walking off when Meteora opened her mouth), and the camera and animation get a whole lot sillier when she's on-screen - apart from her wild, cartoony expressions and body language, don't forget that she was introduced with a cheerful rear end shot. She's a monster, but one whose presence tends to play up the campy, self-aware side of the show.

Pretty much every single major character in Black Lagoon except for Rock was a self-interested murderer in some capacity, so it was "normal" in that world. In fact, Rock was abnormal because he wasn't totally inured to callous death like everyone else was. In that context, it's reasonable to accept a murderer as normal enough in the setting to be a source of goofy comic relief.

Magane's introduction episode showed her using her wacky personality and expressions to confuse someone shortly before deciding to murder them on a whim, which is a pretty clear indicator that they're not being played for chuckles. If anything, her being cheerful and bubbly in this setting simply accentuates how dangerous she is portrayed because she's the only character wearing a mask. Every other character in the show wears their heart on their sleeve and doesn't lie about who they are or what their deal is. Magane greets you with a smile and some silly broken Engrish and pretends to be friendly before arbitrarily deciding to murder you horribly on a whim, which makes her an order of magnitude more frightening than someone like Alice who is pretty much just going to come at you. The scene with her and Sota in this episode is a pretty good example, where she's being pretty much as absurd as possible while in the process of blackmailing Sota and his response isn't confusion at her antics, it's pretty much blind terror because he has no idea what she's going to do with that information. On the same note, Magane is literally the only person we've seen seriously hurt/kill anyone(except the scene at the end of this ep, and both of her victims were totally innocent noncombatants.

That's not to say that the show doesn't have intentionally absurd moments to call attention to how silly the premise is - Mamika's first fight with Selesia is a pretty clear example of that, with the cartoon hearts and bubble pop noises superimposed over exploding buildings and Selesia puking blood from impact.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Honestly Megane is the least dangerous creation since once you know her gimmick she can't do anything. Just don't call out anything she says and she's just a shark toothed high school girl. Or dont talk to her.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Honestly Megane is the least dangerous creation since once you know her gimmick she can't do anything. Just don't call out anything she says and she's just a shark toothed high school girl. Or dont talk to her.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Or dont talk to her.

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Or dont talk

welp Meteora's hosed

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I just want Rui to get in the loving robot. That thing pretty much bests everything else and the drat pilot had to be written like a bad cross of Shinji and the worst Gundan pilots.

So far nothing else in this show warrant a weapon on that scale - then again, they bothered to show off a flashback of a dragon from Alice's world... so perhaps later on more elements from the fictional world will be brought forth, which could cover stuff like Selesia's mech, a dragon like the one from Alice's world, or maybe even the character Altair is based off of.

So far only Altair has shown such abilities, but Magane seeems to be a bit of a reality warper, and maybe she has something in mind to make use of that and Sota, like having him publish something like Setsuna did, claim it's real, having someone counter it's not, and weaponizing that statement with her abilities...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

AnacondaHL posted:

welp Meteora's hosed

naw, meteora hard counters magane, she only talks about things that go through her own head

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/870120767702302720

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I'll say about this show, it's really reminding me how much I enjoyed Black Lagoon. Greenback Jane kicked rear end.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Too bad we'll never find out why she has shark teeth..

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

Too bad we'll never find out why she has shark teeth..
She's just drawn that way baby.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm still not really sure how Mag's power works or what exactly it even does. The only thing i'm kinda confident on is "it runs on spite".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I'm still not really sure how Mag's power works or what exactly it even does. The only thing i'm kinda confident on is "it runs on spite".

She says something that's clearly untrue and gets you to call it it a lie or nonsense or whatever. The act of denying the lie triggers her magic and makes it come true.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Clarste posted:

She says something that's clearly untrue and gets you to call it it a lie or nonsense or whatever. The act of denying the lie triggers her magic and makes it come true.

I'm thinking it has to do with seeding doubt in the target whether it may actually be true or not, and then she can "extract a reality" from the doubt/fear.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

nielsm posted:

I'm thinking it has to do with seeding doubt in the target whether it may actually be true or not, and then she can "extract a reality" from the doubt/fear.

I doubt it. In both cases so far the other person seemed to not take it seriously at all, not to mention her weird, ritualized "double lie" thing she says. As I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking of her as a pastiche of a Nisio character, and overpowered reality-warping puns are right in his ballpark.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

:pervert:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Thanks, makes sense. I'm too distracted by her swagger any time she's on screen, so i hardly pay attention what's going on dialogue-wise.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
winter 2017: she ate the crab

spring 2017: she ate the hot dog

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Magane seems like the sort of character where, once you know she's there and what she does, you just call up the military and have them snipe her from a mile away where she can't talk to them. There's no good reason to let her continue to walk around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Magane is pretty much the best.

• Locked thread